@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Dragon Slayer

Started by termis, 03/24/2007, 02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

termis

Finished Dragon Slayer again since I played it for the 1st time 10 or so odd years ago.  Wow, I'm not quite sure why this game fetches relatively high prices on ebay - I guess just cause it's an English-text RPG.

The classic console-RPG gameplay itself is okay, but the graphics are rather underwhelming.  There aren't any eye candy in the whole game except the intro and the ending.  Story is somewhat typical as well.  Take out the CD music & voices in the game, and it probably could've been easily ported as a HuCard game.  And the voice acting... is absolutely atrocious.

So I just started part II, and the overworld looks a lot more polished and cleaned up compared to part I.  (and it starts out exactly the same way - you sneaking out to do some slime hunting).   So far, I gathered that I have to travel around to 4 other kingdoms and send out messages or something to that effect. 

We'll see how this goes.

Keranu

I loved the first one personally. Not many people think much of it, but I thought it was a really fun adventure. The graphics are pretty simple looking, but for some reason I am really attracted to them and think they look great. Just a really fun game to me.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Seldane

The game sucks in every way possible, no doubt about that, but it still has a certain charm to it. I like the voice acting, myself. In a weird way.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

runinruder

I'm with Keranu, I like this game quite a bit.  The last time I beat it was a good four or five years ago, though.  I've been meaning to play through it again.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

ParanoiaDragon

Same here, love the game, even like the voice acting, even though I know it ain't the best.  And you talk about graphics, but, have you seen the SNES & Genesis versions??  They look identical!  For some reason, everyone that ported this game, must've litterally ported the game, & didn't touch up the graphics.  But, oh well, great game still!
IMG

hizaygizirlz

I got the game a while back and passed it.  I was really addicted to it during the time i played it, i had a blast w/ it b/c its so old school and basic.  The voice acting is the best the first boss that you fight says something like "Why don't you go la di da da" i know its not a direct quote but what ever it was, was quite histerical to me.
Gypsies did it.

Got no luv for the krackers only slugs for the krackers!

Seldane

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 03/24/2007, 04:17 PMSame here, love the game, even like the voice acting, even though I know it ain't the best.  And you talk about graphics, but, have you seen the SNES & Genesis versions??  They look identical!  For some reason, everyone that ported this game, must've litterally ported the game, & didn't touch up the graphics.  But, oh well, great game still!
The Mega Drive version actually looks pretty different. Not much better, but a little. Still looks like crap though. Yeah, they're just ported and didn't touch the graphics much for some reason. The Saturn/PS1 ports look the same, easily the ugliest games on those systems! Even Falcom's own PC remake from 1997 (Shin Eiyuu Densetsu) looks pretty much the same. Why? Whyyyy?
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Seldane on 03/24/2007, 02:37 PMThe game sucks in every way possible, no doubt about that, but it still has a certain charm to it. I like the voice acting, myself. In a weird way.
Heh, the voice acting is the most interesting part of it. I used to work for a print magazine back in the so called heydey of gaming magazines and towards the end of my run there we did a "worst dubs ever" list. I know it was in the top 5 along with Last Alert.
--DragonmasterDan

CrackTiger

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 03/24/2007, 06:02 PM
Quote from: Seldane on 03/24/2007, 02:37 PMThe game sucks in every way possible, no doubt about that, but it still has a certain charm to it. I like the voice acting, myself. In a weird way.
Heh, the voice acting is the most interesting part of it. I used to work for a print magazine back in the so called heydey of gaming magazines and towards the end of my run there we did a "worst dubs ever" list. I know it was in the top 5 along with Last Alert.
A.k.a. Lazer Dork's "best dubs ever" list.  :wink:
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Seldane on 03/24/2007, 05:20 PM
Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 03/24/2007, 04:17 PMSame here, love the game, even like the voice acting, even though I know it ain't the best.  And you talk about graphics, but, have you seen the SNES & Genesis versions??  They look identical!  For some reason, everyone that ported this game, must've litterally ported the game, & didn't touch up the graphics.  But, oh well, great game still!
The Mega Drive version actually looks pretty different. Not much better, but a little. Still looks like crap though. Yeah, they're just ported and didn't touch the graphics much for some reason. The Saturn/PS1 ports look the same, easily the ugliest games on those systems! Even Falcom's own PC remake from 1997 (Shin Eiyuu Densetsu) looks pretty much the same. Why? Whyyyy?
Actually, you're right, I just saw some pics of the MD version online by chance, & it actually does look a little better.  The proportions are different, more like the LOX games.  I have the Saturn one as well, & yeah, it looks identical to the Turbo one.  I'll have to fire up the SNES & MD ones to see the real differences, I just don't recall much.  I wonder if that game is hackable to the point, where we could touch up the graphics, that is, if there's enough memory left over in all the various places that it loads.  That might be an interesting project.
IMG

Keranu

I didn't like the MD version's graphics to be honest. Things were bigger, but looked goofier (and choppier maybe? can't remember). Just something about those little sprites and bright colors of the Duo version I admire so much. Also I remember playing a ROM for the SFC version and it had the small sprites of the Duo version, but it had like very little colors or something, really weird.

Quote from: hizaygirlsThe voice acting is the best the first boss that you fight says something like "Why don't you go la di da da" i know its not a direct quote but what ever it was, was quite histerical to me.
I love this line, I was laughing so hard at it. I also love how the chick of the game (not Mika, the one on your team) sounds like a straight up hooker.

Quote from: Crack/Hack_TigerA.k.a. Lazer Dork's "best dubs ever" list.  ;)
Right on! IMG
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Keranu on 03/24/2007, 11:20 PMI didn't like the MD version's graphics to be honest. Things were bigger, but looked goofier (and choppier maybe? can't remember). Just something about those little sprites and bright colors of the Duo version I admire so much. Also I remember playing a ROM for the SFC version and it had the small sprites of the Duo version, but it had like very little colors or something, really weird.

Quote from: hizaygirlsThe voice acting is the best the first boss that you fight says something like "Why don't you go la di da da" i know its not a direct quote but what ever it was, was quite histerical to me.
I love this line, I was laughing so hard at it. I also love how the chick of the game (not Mika, the one on your team) sounds like a straight up hooker.

Quote from: CrackTigerA.k.a. Lazer Dork's "best dubs ever" list.  ;)
Right on! IMG
Even the opening is damned hilarous "Ah, my dear prince LOOOOOOGAN" It sounds like someone doing a ridiculously over the top Lucky the General Mills cereal character impression with an overlapping California accent and speaking pattern. It's just horrendous. The only game with comparably ridiculous voice acting in my opinion in Shining Force III for Saturn and/or Last Alert.
--DragonmasterDan

ParanoiaDragon

"Bare my Arctic Blasth"!  "Take thisth!"
IMG

Seldane

IMG

Digi.k

Dragon slayer was pretty good RPG. Although its been years since i last played this I can't remember the voice acting being that bad..  I'm just thankfull to befriend someone back then who let me borrow the game for a few weeks.

One of the interesting things about Dragon Slayer is that you could switch to play the game with the music in either redbook or chip..  I wished I had the game long enough to play it again with the chip music though...

CrackTiger

Quote from: Digi.k on 03/25/2007, 10:56 AMDragon slayer was pretty good RPG. Although its been years since i last played this I can't remember the voice acting being that bad..  I'm just thankfull to befriend someone back then who let me borrow the game for a few weeks.

One of the interesting things about Dragon Slayer is that you could switch to play the game with the music in either redbook or chip..  I wished I had the game long enough to play it again with the chip music though...
It really depends on your taste. Dragon Slayer is about on par with Snatcher voice acting wise and most people online seem to love("best ev-er!") that masterpiece.

If you have a better memory of Snatcher, picture Gillian's voice as Gilles' in DS with a touch of Random Hagile and you'll have a pretty good idea of what to expect.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Seldane

I prefer to play with the chip music. Not only does it reduce loading times significantly (you need it because the encounter rate is so ridiculously high! Even standing still won't save you!). Also, the chip music sounds a lot better than that typical PCE crap cd music.
IMG

Keranu

Oh yeah that reminds me, Dragon Slayer had a really cool battle encounter system. Instead of being random, there are a bunch of invisible monster sprites scattered over the world map. So if you walk into one of them or if they walk into you, the battle starts. There are items you can use in the game to make these sprites visible so you can avoid battles easier. Also once you beat a battle, the sprite disappears, or if you run away from battle, the sprite becomes invisible and you can actually run away from it. In dungeons all the monsters are completely visible. I always thought this was a really neat idea.
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Seldane on 03/25/2007, 12:50 PMI prefer to play with the chip music. Not only does it reduce loading times significantly (you need it because the encounter rate is so ridiculously high! Even standing still won't save you!). Also, the chip music sounds a lot better than that typical PCE crap cd music.
Yeah, Ryo Yonemitsu can go suck a lemon for all I care, HE SUCKS!

I'm kidding of course, because I think he rocks!
IMG

Seldane

Ryu Yonemitsu ruined Ys 1-3 PCE. I hate him. And I'm serious about this. Rock sucks.

Ys 4 was all right, actually.
IMG

termis

Actually, I tried both (CD and PSM), and at least for me, the CD loading seems to be quite minimal for battle encounters - I found it bearable, so I left it on CD music.  But yeah, PCM isn't bad either.  The last few RPGs I've played all had this option, which is nice (DSI & II, Gulliver Boy, Beast Sanjuushi).

I'm about 5-6 hours into Dragon Slayer II, and holy cow, this one is soooooo sloooooow compared to part I.  The game is super-stingy with giving you exp and gold.  In fact, I find that I continually have to sell all the stuff I find in battle to make ends meet (buying weapons & armor).  I swear, I think about 90% of gameplay so far for me has been just trying to level up my character.  I'll probably need to increase exp for another hour or two to continue on with the game...    ](*,)

Keranu

Quote from: Seldane on 03/25/2007, 04:27 PMRyu Yonemitsu ruined Ys 1-3 PCE. I hate him. And I'm serious about this. Rock sucks.

Most people don't seem to like Ys IV's music, but I really enjoyed it myself. It was different than the others, almost more disco-ish in a way, but I liked the difference and thought it was groovy.
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Keranu on 03/25/2007, 06:29 PM
Quote from: Seldane on 03/25/2007, 04:27 PMRyu Yonemitsu ruined Ys 1-3 PCE. I hate him. And I'm serious about this. Rock sucks.

Most people don't seem to like Ys IV's music, but I really enjoyed it myself. It was different than the others, almost more disco-ish in a way, but I liked the difference and thought it was groovy.
As do I, though it's not my favorite of his work.  Seriously though, what Sel said, is stone cold fact!  Rock sucks!  Down with rock!  Rock music is the worst invention since the toaster oven!  Blaaaaaaaaah :lol:

Actually, I used to hate rock, as I grew up mainly with Hip Hop(NOT the crap you hear on the radio, but, underground stuff), but, it's because of all these games, that I love certain types of rock now!
IMG

Keranu

Chuck Berry smashes Seldane's opinion with his foot :) .
IMG

NecroPhile

Dragon Slayer is a pretty decent rpg, and there aren't that many US rpg releases anyway.  The battle system isn't as tedious as some games, but the encounter rate is a bit too high (in the beginning, anyway).  I like the fish mini games and playing reversi / othello.  Did anybody ever beat the old man at othello?  I always wondered if he gave you something special if you could whip him, but I suck too much and couldn't get the job done.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Digi.k

that reversi game was just awesome!!!  I know I beat him a few times cause I played the reversi that came with the old MS windows for hours.  I don't remember if that old man gave you anything special though...

The battles are not too bad but you know if it gets tedious you could just switch to AI.. and I could swear that later on in the game you could get an item that reveals the monsters on the map.. although I could be wrong on this..

Keranu

Quote from: Digi.k on 03/26/2007, 10:41 AMThe battles are not too bad but you know if it gets tedious you could just switch to AI.. and I could swear that later on in the game you could get an item that reveals the monsters on the map.. although I could be wrong on this..
Yeah there were a couple different items that could reveal monsters on the map. I never found the battles in DS to be tedious, unless you weren't leveled up maybe. In fact thanks to DS' brilliant running away system, I think DS has some of the lesser tedious battles in RPGs :D .

Speaking of battles, does anyone remember that awesome boss fight in DS with that dude that would create a mirror version of himself? I really loved this boss because he required some great tactics to beat him. In most RPGs you can easily overcome bosses by leveling up, but this guy made things trickier and more fun :) .
IMG

termis

Quote from: guest on 03/26/2007, 10:36 AMI like the fish mini games and playing reversi / othello.  Did anybody ever beat the old man at othello?  I always wondered if he gave you something special if you could whip him, but I suck too much and couldn't get the job done.
Yeah, you get nothing special.  You can learn the same set of spells from him whether you beat him at the game or not.

_Paul

RYO YONEMITSU IS YOUR GOD AND YOU WILL BOW DOWN BEFORE HIM

And he did a great job on the 'You're Under Arrest' anime songs too.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: guest on 03/26/2007, 06:29 PM

RYO YONEMITSU IS YOUR GOD AND YOU WILL BOW DOWN BEFORE HIM

And he did a great job on the 'You're Under Arrest' anime songs too.
Interesting, I'll have to check those out!  Also, he redid some Wild Arms music for a recent arranged Wild Arms ost!  Some nice stuff, to say the least!
IMG

turbofan1

Seldane is right, that game sucks in every way possible. Cant comprehend on how anybody would actually like that game. Its A waste of time and money.

NecroPhile

Quote from: turbofan1 on 03/27/2007, 10:42 AMSeldane is wright,that game sucks in every way possible.Cant comprehend on how anybody would actually like that game.Its A waste of time and money.
Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong - Dragon Slayer is in everybody's top ten list of Turbo rpg games.  Wait...... maybe that's because there's only about ten rpgs anyway.   #-o

If anybody wants to play a TG16 rpg, the choices are limited and Dragon Slayer isn't any worse than most of the other available titles.  Now Deep Blue - that's definitely a waste of time, money, effort, and brain cells (and I'm fairly certain that it can cause cancer).

turbofan1

Quote from: turbofan1 on 03/27/2007, 10:42 AMSeldane is right, that game sucks in every way possible. Cant comprehend on how anybody would actually like that game. Its A waste of time and money.
Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong - Dragon Slayer is in everybody's top ten list of Turbo rpg games.; Wait...... maybe that's because there's only about ten rpgs anyway.  #-o

If anybody wants to play a TG16 RPG, the choices are limited and Dragon Slayer isn't any worse than most of the other available titles. Now Deep Blue - that's definitely a waste of time, money, effort, and brain cells (and I'm fairly certain that it can cause cancer).
Well considering the fact that Deep blue costs something like five to ten dollars. And DS:LOH costs anywheres from twenty five to forty dollars. It is A waste of money. No Ds isn't the the worst game for the turbo.That would be Taken it to the hoop.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: turbofan1 on 03/27/2007, 10:42 AMSeldane is right,that game sucks in every way possible. Cant comprehend on how anybody would actually like that game. Its A waste of time and money.
Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong - Dragon Slayer is in everybody's top ten list of Turbo rpg games.  Wait...... maybe that's because there's only about ten rpgs anyway.   #-o

If anybody wants to play a TG16 rpg, the choices are limited and Dragon Slayer isn't any worse than most of the other available titles.  Now Deep Blue - that's definitely a waste of time, money, effort, and brain cells (and I'm fairly certain that it can cause cancer).
I kind of disagree with Dragon Slayer not being any worse than the other available titles, I think Cosmic Fantasy 2 is a much much better game personally.
--DragonmasterDan

MrFulci

Dragon Slayer wasn't too bad. I only played through it once, years ago. I didn't find it any worse or better than Cosmic Fantasy 2.

The only big complaint I had about that game was the ending was pretty simple. Nothing much to it. I was left thinking, "Hmm, that's it? that's the final boss?"

A decent game. Nothing too special to it, but nothing too awful about the game play for me to consider it garbage.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

NecroPhile

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 03/27/2007, 01:34 PMI kind of disagree with Dragon Slayer not being any worse than the other available titles, I think Cosmic Fantasy 2 is a much much better game personally.
That's why I put that little word 'most' in there.  :wink:

I don't think that DS is inferior (or superior) to Exile, Exile: WP, Neutopia 1 and 2, OotG, M&M III, or Ys III.  The only rpgs that are vastly superior to DS are Ys I & II and Cosmic Fantasy 2, and CF2 only because of the story and cut scenes.  CF2 is much worse than DS when it comes to enemy encounter rates and the battle system - considering in DS battles can be set to auto and you can use the looking glass (is that the right item?) to avoid most battles altogether.

Turbofan1 couldn't comprehend why anyone would like Dragon Slayer, and I was answering why I like it - it's far from unplayable and is one of only a few choices for rpgs.  I didn't consider the cost of the game, as that relates to rarity and availability far more than the quality of the game.  I'd much rather spend $25-40 on a playable game than $5-10 on a useless pile of manure like Deep Blue.

Keranu

I completely agree with Necromancer on this one.
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: turbofan1 on 03/27/2007, 12:09 PMWell considering the fact that Deep blue costs something like five to ten dollars.And DS:LOH costs anywheres from twenty five to forty dollars.It is A waste of money.No Ds isn't the the worst game for the turbo.That would be Taken it to the hoop.
Yeah, but you can get the PC Engine Dragon Slayer for $1 - $5, which features a cool interactive test mode when you run it on a sub-3.0 card.

Even if you didn't use a walkthrough, the PCE DS is more fun than Deep Blue and doubles as a nice soundtrack CD.

Quote from: NecroPhile on 03/27/2007, 03:39 PM
Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 03/27/2007, 01:34 PMI kind of disagree with Dragon Slayer not being any worse than the other available titles, I think Cosmic Fantasy 2 is a much much better game personally.
That's why I put that little word 'most' in there.  :wink:

I don't think that DS is inferior (or superior) to Exile, Exile: WP, Neutopia 1 and 2, OotG, M&M III, or Ys III.  The only rpgs that are vastly superior to DS are Ys I & II and Cosmic Fantasy 2, and CF2 only because of the story and cut scenes.  CF2 is much worse than DS when it comes to enemy encounter rates and the battle system - considering in DS battles can be set to auto and you can use the looking glass (is that the right item?) to avoid most battles altogether.

Turbofan1 couldn't comprehend why anyone would like Dragon Slayer, and I was answering why I like it - it's far from unplayable and is one of only a few choices for rpgs.  I didn't consider the cost of the game, as that relates to rarity and availability far more than the quality of the game.  I'd much rather spend $25-40 on a playable game than $5-10 on a useless pile of manure like Deep Blue.
I like that Dragon Slayer, even with all its running around 'fetching' quests, is more straightforward and I guess "traditional" than Cosmic 2, which has at least a few cheap sections. Plus, DS has way nicer bg/map art/graphics and music than Cosmic 2 and it's not-so-linear with extra stuff to do.

Cosmic 2 is still fun for those who can appreciate it, but has more big flaws than DS as an actual game.

I like them both, but prefer DS way more and it'll always get more play throughs from me.

As far as Turbo games go, Dragon Slayer is definitely one of the 'good' ones.

TurboXray

I was really happy with Dragon Slayer when I bought it back in the day. It was a very fun game. While not as many cinemas as CF2, the opening/intro was nice to see back then. I beat DS:LOH about 4-5 times and CF2 once.

Also, with using the rubberband trick on the controller and setting the battle to auto - you could leave the system on over night and come back the next morning for gobs gold and levels galore.  :mrgreen:

CrackTiger

Quote from: TurboXray on 03/27/2007, 09:24 PMI was really happy with Dragon Slayer when I bought it back in the day. It was a very fun game. While not as many cinemas as CF2, the opening/intro was nice to see back then. I beat DS:LOH about 4-5 times and CF2 once.

Also, with using the rubberband trick on the controller and setting the battle to auto - you could leave the system on over night and come back the next morning for gobs gold and levels galore.  :mrgreen:
I used to hunt those blue apes to get coma darts for that trick. Once I earned enough cash, I upgraded to Gold Rods. But after a certainly point (50 levels?) you run out of secret luck power or something and you can't 'instant-death' kill enemies anymore.

Seldane

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 03/25/2007, 08:51 PMRock sucks!  Down with rock!  Rock music is the worst invention since the toaster oven!
:wink:
IMG

Zor Prime

I bought Dragon Slayer when it was released in the USA and invested a lot of time into playing it.

I think it's a great game.  I think Ys's 1/2 & CF2 are good games too.  I'd probably rank them Ys, DS, then CF.  I've beat all many times.  I even played so much in DS I found a couple reproduceable bugs.

Anyway, I like Dragon Slayer so much I named my 2 sons Logan & Ethan.

For real.   :mrgreen:

Seldane

That's an honorable thing to do. Logan in particular is a very nice name.
IMG

Zor Prime

Funny thing is my Logan looks like Logan in the game.  Bright blonde hair, face and all.  Except has brown eyes.

And Ethan, well, funny enough looks like Ethan in the game.  Except has blue eyes.

(how the hell my blonde son has brown eyes and the brown hair one has blue eyes I don't know)

wooster

Just finished this game for the first time, even though I've owned it for 15 years or so. Was initially turned off by the horribly crap voice acting.

One thing interesting, I picked up a lottery ticket that was not explained in the walkthrough on gamefaqs. I wound up winning 50,000 gold I believe. Anyone know if there's a technique on when to check whether you've won or whether there's any variation?
QuoteIt's been a few years, but I think that you always win the lottery - just like in real life! :^o
QuoteIf I remember correctly, the longer you wait, I believe chapter-wise, the more(or less?) you win.

Zor Prime

Not sure on the lottery ticket bit.

The only voice acting I did not like in the game was when Sonya talked.  She made me cringe.

I thought the rest was pretty good.  Even very amusing if not hilarious in some parts.

I'd rather take a fun, basic, solid foundation of a game than one where it has been glossed over in some multi million dollar Hollywood studio that sounds and looks great but entertains me only for a few hours until I can see through the gloss.

This is probably why my 360 & Wii have taken the back burner to the Duo lately.

NecroPhile

Quote from: wooster on 03/28/2007, 04:42 PMJust finished this game for the first time, even though I've owned it for 15 years or so. Was initially turned off by the horribly crap voice acting.

One thing interesting, I picked up a lottery ticket that was not explained in the walkthrough on gamefaqs. I wound up winning 50,000 gold I believe. Anyone know if there's a technique on when to check whether you've won or whether there's any variation?
It's been a few years, but I think that you always win the lottery - just like in real life!  :^o

CrackTiger

Quote from: wooster on 03/28/2007, 04:42 PMJust finished this game for the first time, even though I've owned it for 15 years or so. Was initially turned off by the horribly crap voice acting.

If I remember correctly, the longer you wait, I believe chapter-wise, the more(or less?) you win.

Quote from: Zor Prime on 03/28/2007, 01:57 PMI bought Dragon Slayer when it was released in the USA and invested a lot of time into playing it.

I think it's a great game.  I think Ys's 1/2 & CF2 are good games too.  I'd probably rank them Ys, DS, then CF.  I've beat all many times.  I even played so much in DS I found a couple reproduceable bugs.

Anyway, I like Dragon Slayer so much I named my 2 sons Logan & Ethan.

For real.   :mrgreen:
What, no Drax and Naja?  :wink:

termis

Just thought I've add one more tidbit to the thread rather than start a new one.

Finshed Dragon Slayer II today.  Like some of the other TG16/PCE Falcom games, ending was actually really good.

Unfortunately, rest of the game - not so hot.  Though nothing stellar, part I moved along quickly and I was never bored, but part 2... it draaaags on.  Fighting and making money takes forever compared to the prequel.  Most of the game is just raising your levels & making money while warping from one town to the other to advance the story.  I took just under 30 hours to finish this one, and I'd guess I pry spent at least 75-80% of that indicated playing time raising levels or trying to earn money.

And the overworld... The whole overworld from part I is uncovered in the very first part of the game, and for the most part afterwards, (3/4th or so) the game takes place going back & forth between areas in an underground passageways.  I actually kinda felt claustrophobic playing this game.   :-#

Basic English walkthrough for the SNES version worked just fine:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/file/570827/33684

And more detailed faq with all the maps (Japanese).
http://adol.jp/games/ed2/menu.htm

Alrighty - so that's that.

I dunno what RPG I'll start next.  Hmmm...

Seldane

I've heard that The Legend of Heroes 2 is supposed to be the worst entry in the series.

Try The Legend of Heroes 3 remake for Sega Saturn next. Really nice game (although very dialogue-driven - and in Japanese). Hudson made it. Cheap game, but not all that easy to come by I suppose. I got it complete from Palet_th for $10 on Ebay, if I'm not mistaken.

A little info and some screenshots on my website (sorry for the poor layout, it's not supposed to be hotlinked to as that removes the rest of the frames of the website)

wayback.digitalsloth.net/ys/library/loh3saturn

IMG IMG
IMG IMG

Quote from: Seldane on 04/15/2007, 04:29 PMMore Dalk Fukt
http://www.falcom.co.jp/licence/character/ys_e.html

More Daruku Fakuto
http://www.falcom.co.jp/ys12cmp/ys1cmp2.html

He's just referred to as "Dalk" in the Falcom Classics (Saturn) game manuals.

Naw, Xanadu is Dragon Slayer 2. The "Dragon Slayer 2" you're talking about is Dragon Slayer 6 part 2.

The Legend of Xanadu is Dragon Slayer 8, whereas The Legend of Xanadu 2 is Dragon Slayer 8 part 2.

Meh, let's make the obligatory list for this to make any sense whatsoever...

Dragon Slayer 1
Dragon Slayer 2: Xanadu
Dragon Slayer 3: Romancia (aka Dragon Slayer Jr.)
Dragon Slayer 4: Draslefamily
Dragon Slayer 5: Sorcerian (there are like a million different Sorcerian scenarios for Japanese computers)
Dragon Slayer 6: The Legend of Heroes
Dragon Slayer 6 pt 2: The Legend of Heroes 2
Dragon Slayer 7: Lord Monarch
Dragon Slayer 8: The Legend of Xanadu
Dragon Slayer 8 pt 2: The Legend of Xanadu 2
(+ Dragon Slayer Gaiden for Game Boy)

Note! The Legend of Heroes 3 and up is not part of the DS series, neither is Faxanadu, Xanadu Next or any other game that's related to either of the games in that list. Only those mentioned are part of the DS series.
IMG