@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

PCE, SNES and Genesis Screen Comparison.

Started by awack, 03/25/2009, 10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ParanoiaDragon

For me, it goes back n forth.  Sometimes I like the color choices on the MD more, also, I think the MD version has paralax thruout the game.  However, the PCE version doesn't have the bar at the top partially blocking the view, & some colors do look better on the PCE, & some of the bosses look better as well.
IMG

Tatsujin

the pce also has lots of parallax, or lets say that pce h-sync'd line fake parallax what ever.

i agree that the PCE has also its better locations. but overall its the MDs win. also it is more near to the aracde.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

shubibiman

Very different ports and as PD said, it goes back n forth for me too but the Megadrive version is the winner here.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

Joe Redifer

Quote from: Tatsujinwhy is it uninteressting to you?
I remember renting it and being bored out of my skull.  However if it had better music and sound I might have given it more of a chance.  Bad music and sound can really throw me out of a game.  I don't recall if the music/sound was bad, but it probably was.

Tatsujin

i liked the musics quite, especially the boss theme is adrenaline pure! :)
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

_Paul

The music can be a bit tinkly, but I love the tune that I used on my gameplay video. The tune when you complete it is great too if I remember rightly.

awack

Thunder Blade/Super Thunder Blade.
PC EngineSega Genesis
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

Tatsujin

i was a huge thunderblade fan back in the arcades and even loved the c64 port.

unfortunately both, the pce and md version are huge disappointing in several aspects. very choppy 3D scrolling and they even managed to destroy the overhead section.

while in the arcade overhead levels, you could zoom up and down, in the pce & md you can't and even the static scrolling was choppy as hell (hey, even the c64 version could do the zoom thing).
at least the pce is getting some extra credits for beiing way more arcade accurate than the md one is.

it's a shame, they coulnd't put in the same effort as they did for after burner II.

awack

You got me watching youtube videos of Thunderblade(arcade) and noticed i was close to the end so i went ahead and took shots of the last boss. I also noticed that the quality gap between the arcade and the pce and genesis ports is huge.
PC EngineSega Genesis
IMG IMG

Tatsujin

Joe Redifer

I think the PCE wins slightly here for being more faithful.  Neither game harnesses the sheer power that either system is capable enough.  If more MEGA POWER was added, it could be much better.  Maybe if the Turbo version was on the Arcade Card CD with music by Lady Gaga!!!!

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 10/20/2009, 11:49 PMI think the PCE wins slightly here for being more faithful.  Neither game harnesses the sheer power that either system is capable enough.  If more MEGA POWER was added, it could be much better.  Maybe if the Turbo version was on the Arcade Card CD with music by Lady Gaga!!!!
lol. MEGA POWER!! I love it.  :lol:

Of course, the X68K Thunder Blade looks to be top notch.
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

awack

Slime World, i got the pce shot from pc engine software bible, ill probably buy this game soon and take a few more shots.
PC EngineSega Genesis
IMG IMG

Ceti Alpha

This is like night and day. Did the developers just not bother trying with the Genesis port?
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

i always hated the lack of nice HUD on the genesis one, and now when you stick it next to the pce one its even worse.

theres that HUGE wasted area of space.  WHYYYYYY didnt they put something there.  #-o
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

NecroPhile

The developers definitely phoned that one in.  I don't think the Genesis version can be favorably compared to even the Lynx version, which is pretty sad considering the color limitations of the Lynx.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

ccovell

The problem with the PCE port is that is moves verrrry slowly, even compared to the Lynx original.  How's the Genesis version in that respect?

Joe Redifer

That's true, the Genesis looks like a horrible Master System game, if that.  How did they think even one person would buy something like that when they were showing pictures of it in the magazines?  The NES can do better.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 10/29/2009, 06:47 PMThat's true, the Genesis looks like a horrible Master System game, if that.  How did they think even one person would buy something like that when they were showing pictures of it in the magazines?  The NES can do better.
Yeah, it almost has a C64 quality.
IMG

Tatsujin

Quote from: awack on 10/29/2009, 08:02 AMill probably buy this game soon and take a few more shots.
don't buy it. it's ubercrap and almost unplayable. just buy it in case you go for every pce game.

esteban

Quote from: Tatsujin on 10/30/2009, 12:55 AM
Quote from: awack on 10/29/2009, 08:02 AMill probably buy this game soon and take a few more shots.
don't buy it. it's ubercrap and almost unplayable. just buy it in case you go for every pce game.
The RedBook soundtrack has a few moments to appreciate. I don't think everyone will love it, but it is certainly one of the game's only positive attributes :).

Todd's Adventures in Slime World (Red Book Soundtrack)Track 01 (mp3) -- "Come on!" 80's voice samples. Later in the track, you get treated to some synth sax!Track 02 (mp3) -- I dig the piano/percussion in the background.Track 03 (mp3) -- Hmm, there's a bit of an Egyptian/Middle Eastern/Asian flavor to this one that is nice, because it is subtle and doesn't get cloying.Track 04 (mp3) -- (My favorite).  This track starts off as a freestyle (latin freestyle) song, goes into some synth leads that could be from Valis II (which is a good thing). For me, this is a match made in heaven. I just wish the song was longer.Track 05 (mp3) -- This is whimsical, catchy, upbeat (yes, they threw a voice sample in there).Track 06 (mp3) -- "The sound is serious!" More obligatory 80's voice samples, driven almost completely by funky bassline/percussion.Track 07 (mp3) -- This track prematurely ends, never really develops a personality of its own.

Depending on your taste in tea, you'll find some good stuff here. :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

awack

Arkhan Asylum

man the CD one doesn't even look like they COULDNT do it on the Hucard.  It looks like they were just lazy and or wanted to promote the CD game instead.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Tatsujin

Quote from: guest on 11/19/2009, 08:25 PMman the CD one doesn't even look like they COULDNT do it on the Hucard.  It looks like they were just lazy and or wanted to promote the CD game instead.
lol.. my very same thoughts :lol:
but cool comparison. have both games, but never played them intesive nuff to check the differences. what i remember is, that the cd also uses PSG instead of redbook, iirc.

Arkhan Asylum

LOL. so it uses HuCard capable stuff entirely!

shubibiman

I thought they were 2 different games. That's silly from Hudson.

awack

Aight, im just going to finish doraemon for now.
CDHuCard
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

Joe Redifer

I wonder why they would bother building two sets of graphics... especially for such a droll game.

Tatsujin

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 11/20/2009, 09:32 PMI wonder why they would bother building two sets of graphics... especially for such a droll game.
that rightly is a good question. hmm  :-k

Arkhan Asylum

probably to make it seem like the CD version was superior to increase sales.

shubibiman

Or maybe because Doraemon is soooo popular in Japan that nobody would care about the game being droll.

TurboXray

What's the release dates for both games? Maybe they decided to upgrade the CD port after the release finished development of the huey?

Ceti Alpha

I guess if I ever buy this game it will be the CD port, but will I ever actually buy this game?
IMG

Tatsujin

huey 12/06/1991 (¥5800)
SCD 05/29/1992 (¥4900)

Ceti Alpha

IMG

Arkhan Asylum

so the SCD came out 5 months later, looked better, and was CHEAPER?

uhhhhhhhhhh  ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

esteban

There is no such thing as too much Doraemon.

C'mon, I can't believe you guys are complaining about this. We are lucky to have both versions!

;)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

exodus

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 11/20/2009, 09:32 PMI wonder why they would bother building two sets of graphics... especially for such a droll game.
Not to be a jerk here, but I'm pretty sure neither you nor shubibiman actually mean to use "droll." Droll is an adjective referring to something that creates mirth or merriment. http://www.wordswarm.net/dictionary/droll.html

I think you're looking for "dull!"

Joe Redifer

No, not "dull".  Not sure what word I was looking for.  But droll sounds like it.  :)

NecroPhile

Perhaps you meant banal, minus the b in exodus's case.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

blueraven

CD version is better. not by much...

TurboXray

Not by much??? Looks to be at least and easy 35% better overall to me (graphically).

awack

Busterbro(pce) vs Super Busterbro(snes).
PC EngineSNES
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

Arkhan Asylum

IMG

Dont forget the C64 version in its full glory!

awack

For a direct comparison.
PC EngineC64
IMG IMG

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: awack on 11/24/2009, 12:25 AMFor a direct comparison.

PCE                                                  C64
IMG IMG
haha

It's a toss up between the SNES and PCE Buster Bro. Depends on what screen you're looking at.
IMG

TurboXray

awack

I'm not aware of a Genesis version, unless it goes by a different name, because i cant find a Pomping World or Buster Bros for it.

_Paul

blueraven

Wow. I'm impressed by the Amiga. The PCE's pallette looks softer and more defined though.

The c64 is like looking at the pce and NES versions of DD2