@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

PCE, SNES and Genesis Screen Comparison.

Started by awack, 03/25/2009, 10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Redifer

Ceti Alpha

I think there was a movie with Bill Murray playing Zonk, and Zonk was playing Hunter S. Thompson.
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

SignOfZeta

Quote from: awack on 01/22/2010, 12:20 PM
QuoteDoes the Genny port have the rockin' stage 2 muzik? I know the arcade port doesn't have the same music on stage 2; and for that I put the TG/PCE port above the arcade since they're otherwise virtually identical.
The Genesis version has different music for stage 2, the pce, stage 2 music is better, in my oppinion.
I LOVE the Aeroblasters stage 2 music.
IMG

Joe Redifer

esteban

Quote from: Tatsujin on 01/24/2010, 12:23 AMall around, PC Denjin is just the much much funnier game to play. i like CD Denjin as well, but it misses some pepp & dynamic which PCD has and sure, the above mentioned parallax.
Agreed. I don't like the music in CD Denjin that much, the chiptunes in PC Denjin are superior.

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/24/2010, 10:59 AMFor those who haven't seen it, here is my Aero Blasters/Buster comparison article over at Sega-16.
You had me at "Aero".
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

awack

Bomberman 94                                   Super Bomberman 3 (snes)
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

Joe Redifer

They both look comparable.  I think either could be done on the other system. 

I am not a huge fan of Bomberman.  I hope that isn't considered sacrilege.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/31/2010, 08:20 PMThey both look comparable.  I think either could be done on the other system. 

I am not a huge fan of Bomberman.  I hope that isn't considered sacrilege.
You're the devil.

Seriously though, I like Bman. Great game to pull out when you have friends over. A friend of mine just downloaded Bomberman Live on the 360 because he liked it so much on the Turbo.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

The PCE version wins out for me with this one just off the music alone.   other then that, neither beats the other visually.  if you clip the HUD off, they look the same. 
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Tatsujin

BM = PCE, since ever. trash the earlier FC BM and the all the post PCE BMs!!! 0 flair!
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

nat

I guess I'm the only one that thinks '94 trashes Bomberman 3 visually. Joe is certainly right that both games could be done on either system, but the graphics in Bomberman 3 look extremely bland and generic to me.

shubibiman

No, you're not the only one. It's so obvious to me too.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

Tatsujin

it's more than obvious..it's already xevious!!

BM'94 can only be beaten by BM'93!
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

exodus

yeah, bomberman 93 gives a much better sense of depth and color - likely they did this on purpose to keep the PCE versions the most awesomeeeeee

awack

I think i got the screenshot and system matched up right.

ARCADE
IMG

PCE
IMG

ATARI ST
IMG

AMIGA
IMG

C-64
IMG

ZX SPECTRUM
IMG

IDONTKNOW
IMG

Joe Redifer

Ceti Alpha

I've played the arcade Ninja Spirit on MAME several times and it's pretty damn close to the PCE. The PCE port actually looks better in some spots, as you can tell from the screenshots awack posted. The flicker is the main drawback on the PCE.
IMG

Raizen1984

Yeah, the arcade and PCE versions look comparable, though the arcade version appears to have slightly superior detail.  Everything looks a bit dark in the PCE version.

The ZX Spectrum version looks like it's running on Game Boy.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: Raizen1984 on 02/06/2010, 05:13 PMYeah, the arcade and PCE versions look comparable, though the arcade version appears to have slightly superior detail.  Everything looks a bit dark in the PCE version.
That could be subjective. Just from that screenshot alone I'm giving it to the PCE. Far better contrast in colours, but you know the arcade version is better overall. It is interesting, though, that the PCE port didn't include the time limit, nor did it have the weapons menu at the bottom of the screen, which is nice to have. Anyway, Ninja Spirit will always be on the top of my TG/PCE list.
IMG

shubibiman

The version in the bottom pic looks like an Amstrad CPC game.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

ParanoiaDragon

There's also a GB version, I think it's only 4 levels IIRC.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

I had Ninja Spirit on the Amiga.  It was definitely annoying to play with a one button joystick.

The pce has better music than the arcade, :).  Its got a nice eerie distant vibe that suits the game really well.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Tatsujin

later level looking quite better on the arcade. especially the level with the flying ninjas. but still the pce port is so awesome. especially regarded to its release time. every other version is far away from it and uber stinks against.

to be honest, i also like the arcade color palette quite better. brings bit more arcade feeling in it. lol, it is arcade!

QuoteIDONTKNOW
:lol:

Joe Redifer

I agree with Tats.  The arcade version simply feels more like the arcade than the other versions.  I don't know why that is.

_Paul

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/07/2010, 11:27 AMI agree with Tats.  The arcade version simply feels more like the arcade than the other versions.  I don't know why that is.
I disagree. The arcade version feels like an NES port of itself, while the Spectrum version feels like a conversion of the Amstrad version which was ported from the Commodore 64.

Tatsujin

Quote from: ceti alpha on 02/06/2010, 05:55 PMnor did it have the weapons menu at the bottom of the screen,
more space for teh game itself = le win!

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: Tatsujin on 02/07/2010, 01:10 PM
Quote from: ceti alpha on 02/06/2010, 05:55 PMnor did it have the weapons menu at the bottom of the screen,
more space for teh game itself = le win!
hehe. That is one way to look at it.  :mrgreen:
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guest on 02/07/2010, 12:54 PM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/07/2010, 11:27 AMI agree with Tats.  The arcade version simply feels more like the arcade than the other versions.  I don't know why that is.
I disagree. The arcade version feels like an NES port of itself, while the Spectrum version feels like a conversion of the Amstrad version which was ported from the Commodore 64.
i had the Commodore 64 version on a multi-game hack disk I had laying around years ago.  I remember that was my first impression of Ninja Spirit back in 1999 or so.

Holy fuck was it awful.  When I got the PCE one I crossed my fingers and then was like "^_^".  Perfect

Tatsujin

I had the c64 version as well back in the days, and I think it was a quite a decent game regarded to the hardware.

here only the ending:

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Tatsujin on 02/07/2010, 11:21 PMI had the c64 version as well back in the days, and I think it was a quite a decent game regarded to the hardware.

here only the ending:
I suppose if you consider the limitations.... but when you have better options....it seriously doesn't cut it.

alot of arcade games really didnt fare well on the C64 hardware.  Sidearms was another mess.

Tatsujin

sure, that's out of questions. if you had an amiga or even much better, a PCE next to the cevi,  there was no comparison. never the less, ninja spirit was one of those games, which still was fun, compared to other ports at that time.

but at least the BGM was sometimes superior, even compared the arcade versions. e.g. ghouls 'n ghosts.

_Paul

esteban

Truly, the consoles outshine the arcade here.

My vote is for the Master System. Go Sega!

But the asymmetry in the Arcade and PCE sprite design is clearly superior to the Master System.

So, my vote is PCE.

But the arcade version always comes across as "washed out" in static screenshots...

So what is one to do?

Joe Redifer

Awesome, more Space Harrier please (try to use full grown sprites).

The PCE sprites all seem squished, too skinny.  What should be circles are ovals.  And no, it's not just the emulator grabs, it looks like that on the TV screen as well.  That is one of the reasons why the PCE has never really pleased me graphically.  Granted, the SMS version is too wide and has the opposite problem, but I grew up with that version so I will let it pass.

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/17/2010, 02:40 PMAwesome, more Space Harrier please (try to use full grown sprites).

The PCE sprites all seem squished, too skinny.  What should be circles are ovals.  And no, it's not just the emulator grabs, it looks like that on the TV screen as well.  That is one of the reasons why the PCE has never really pleased me graphically.  Granted, the SMS version is too wide and has the opposite problem, but I grew up with that version so I will let it pass.
I love the SMS version, but I'll sleep with the skinny & svelte PCE sprites before I even think of touching the squat & stout SMS sprites.

_Paul

Unfortunately that's the trade-off for using sprites as opposed to BG tiles.

_Paul

/moresh.png
/evenmoresh.png

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: awack on 01/07/2010, 06:31 PMPce boss fights                                snes boss fights
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

pce over head action                     snes over head action
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
Wow- this game for PCE is KazenoDensetsuXanadu II ?  It looks amazing!!  How well does it play?
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

_Paul

Joe Redifer

Quote from: guestUnfortunately that's the trade-off for using sprites as opposed to BG tiles.
Very true.  The comparisons are still very interesting.  More please.  MORE!  I would be interested in seeing how the graphics of the Haya-Oh boss compares on all 3 platforms... oh wait he only exists on the SMS version because only the SMS can handle 2 MEGA POWER!

Tatsujin

i don't like so much how the SMS sprites are mirrored (left/right side). the PCE and arcade ones are drawn completely independent and therefore feeling much more alive and natural.

Joe Redifer

I don't like how the rock in the arcade has part of the score graphic on it.  Makes it look like... not a real rock.  At least they cleared that up for the home versions.

Tatsujin

esteban

Quote from: Tatsujin on 02/17/2010, 07:21 PMi don't like so much how the SMS sprites are mirrored (left/right side). the PCE and arcade ones are drawn completely independent and therefore feeling much more alive and natural.
That was exactly my point when I said that arcade/pce asymmetrical sprite design was superior to SMS's goofy symmetry.

I also will repeat myself and affirm that I prefer the svelte, skinny PCE sprites to the "husky" SMS sprites.

Joe Redifer

The SMS version has no sprites, other than the player and the shots fired.

Tatsujin

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/18/2010, 01:27 PMThe SMS version has no sprites, other than the player and the shots fired.
and what are the enemies then?

ccovell

They're all part of the background, being shuffled around the BG map at an insane rate.

That was one of Yuji Naka's big accomplishments on the SMS/MkIII.

Tatsujin

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/18/2010, 01:27 PMThe SMS version has no sprites, other than the player and the shots fired.
Since I'm talking about the sprite design, I'll call them sprites.

The technical shenanigans Naka pulled off are impressive, but irrelevant to the stout, stocky and husky attributes of the SMS design.

If you want me to try to spin this more positively, I will:

I give you permission to refer to the SMS design as "a revealing display of aesthetic girth".

Happy? :)

Joe Redifer

Golden Axe on the SMS does the same thing... no sprites, all BG.  There is absolutely no flicker as a result, but it is kind of choppy.  Still, it is very technically impressive to me.

SMS designs for Space Harrier are too fat.  PCE designs are too skinny.  The arcade is nearly arcade perfect.