@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roflmao

I've been playing Startling Odyssey 2 lately. Good stuff!
/w785-h442-no.jpg

Purple1308

I started playing cyber core and alien crush

GoldenWheels

Ok so the first time I die in Valis 2 ad lose my powerups....the game suddenly seems hard (and borderline cheap with it's enemies/enemy placement)

I thought I hated slimes in Dragon Warrior. Fuck these fuckin things that take 15 hits.

esteban

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 01/15/2018, 10:14 AMOk so the first time I die in Valis 2 ad lose my powerups....the game suddenly seems hard (and borderline cheap with it's enemies/enemy placement)

I thought I hated slimes in Dragon Warrior. Fuck these fuckin things that take 15 hits.
Don't worry, Valis II is an easy game...and you will beat it.

The shame is that you don't really have to use an strategy on the bosses...that's a shortcoming.

The boss fights could have been far more interesting, IMHO.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

GoldenWheels

Esteban, I'm in level 4 now, am I right that sometimes the best thing to do is just run and ignore combat?

Or do I need to creep like a chump and kill everything without mistakenly going backwards and respawning the enemy I just killed (Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr)

seieienbu

The last time I played it I killed everything and won on one life.  Honestly?  If you die?  Just start over.  You'll likely save yourself time and suffering.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

GoldenWheels

Quote from: seieienbu on 01/15/2018, 06:01 PMThe last time I played it I killed everything and won on one life.  Honestly?  If you die?  Just start over.  You'll likely save yourself time and suffering.
Like once I'm not powered up don't even bother? Dang! reminds me of R-type, where the first death for me equals *click* system off.

I'm going to try to learn as much of this level as I can and then start over. The first levels are super easy anyway.  I'm tending to grab the wave power up over all others. What do you guys prefer?

seieienbu

You can definitely still win if you die but if you aren't familiar with how to beat the minibosses on the last couple of stages it will take quite a while to figure them out.  And with the levels so short?  Why not just start over?  That was my thought process anyway.

esteban

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 01/16/2018, 11:33 AM
Quote from: seieienbu on 01/15/2018, 06:01 PMThe last time I played it I killed everything and won on one life.  Honestly?  If you die?  Just start over.  You'll likely save yourself time and suffering.
Like once I'm not powered up don't even bother? Dang! reminds me of R-type, where the first death for me equals *click* system off.

I'm going to try to learn as much of this level as I can and then start over. The first levels are super easy anyway.  I'm tending to grab the wave power up over all others. What do you guys prefer?
I thought Level 4 might be the lazer/electricity level, but you are at Haisen's stage, which you can definitely conquer using continues, just grab the power ups and health. There are "slightly" hidden platforms with these items scattered about, in addition to the life/power ups that are literally left in your path.

I say: since you are learning the stages anyway, you should not restart...you should have some fun familiarizing yourself with the (pretty basic) level design and see if you can find "hidden" ledges/platforms with power ups.

:)

EmperorIng

Also: the two best weapons are the default shot powered up, and IIRC the wave. You can skip the missile.

esteban

Quote from: EmperorIng on 01/16/2018, 10:57 PMAlso: the two best weapons are the default shot powered up, and IIRC the wave. You can skip the missile.
Yeah...the wave can eat most bullets, IIRC, and gets pretty big (Yuko's height) when powered up.

The missile is just for comic relief (seeing a silly missile spontaneously launch from a sword *sounds* kool, but the execution in Valis II is so lackluster... but now I think you have unwittingly created a new goal for me: to beat the game using missile only... hmmm...)

esteban

Double post, but I'll make it meaningful: did anyone notice that the "running flame guy" from Valis II and running flame guy from Splatterhouse look pretty similar?

I'm sure there are other games with a running dude in flames...but what are they? I can't think of one...

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY: do they look like the running man aflame a la Valis II/Splatterhouse?

*they have a rather nonchalant run, these dudes*

GoldenWheels

All right I am going to soldier on then.

(I feel like such a puny biotch with no power ups tho!)

Psycho Punch

Gradius 2 again... I was doing extremely well with no lives lost and just when I thought "holy shit is this actually happening?" I lost all lives to the giant moai boss.

:(
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

esteban

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 01/17/2018, 10:12 AMAll right I am going to soldier on then.

(I feel like such a puny biotch with no power ups tho!)
Do Not Give Up, comrade.

You
Will
Persevere.

Quote from: guest on 01/20/2018, 09:29 PMGradius 2 again... I was doing extremely well with no lives lost and just when I thought "holy shit is this actually happening?" I lost all lives to the giant moai boss.

They say that "laughter is the best medicine" when dealing with particularly frustrating situations in life.

So, the next time you get to the boss, think about...

LARRY
MOAI
CURLY

...as you get mercilessly ravaged.

EmperorIng

The Moai boss in Gradius II gave me trouble until I found out an almost fool-proof strategy.

You'll obviously want all 4 options, ripple-laser or the two-way Double, missiles and two speed-ups, maybe one more (depends). What you essentially do is herd the mini-Moais that come after you, slowly moving in a clockwise fashion. Stay somewhat closer to the faces as you circle, but not too close. As you fire you will destroy them and the bullets will be manageable instead of a giant chaotic blanket. Once one of the heads is destroyed, the fight more or less plays itself.

Even if you die, if you learn how to herd the spawned Moais in this way, you should, with a little practice, learn how to time out the fight.

geise

Not US turbob but Shubibinman 3 I got from Secret Santa this past Xmas! Thanks again Santa!

OldTurboBastard

Just got a new copy of MotoRoader MC (i guess it's part 3?) in the mail...it's no longer new. Was initially disappointed to see the scrolling tracks are gone, more like a super sprint type game now...but 20 minutes or so of play revealed it was actually still pretty fun....could see multiplayer battles still being fun, but i didn't see any upgrades yet? That was one of the best parts of the first game was getting that new engine or body, and smoking your buddies, dragging their sorry asses from the back of the screen every 2 seconds!!!
"I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - hedberg

OldTurboBastard

"I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - hedberg

PukeSter

Did a little play through of pacland. I got to round 21 (trip 6) on one credit, a new record! Difficulty really spikes up at the end.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 01/29/2018, 01:20 AMDid a little play through of pacland. I got to round 21 (trip 6) on one credit, a new record! Difficulty really spikes up at the end.
Yes, and there is a "hard mode" once you get through this!

I like Pac Land a lot, it's oddly alluring.

esteban

Quote from: OldTurboBastard on 01/28/2018, 09:25 PMJust got a new copy of MotoRoader MC (i guess it's part 3?) in the mail...it's no longer new. Was initially disappointed to see the scrolling tracks are gone, more like a super sprint type game now...but 20 minutes or so of play revealed it was actually still pretty fun....could see multiplayer battles still being fun, but i didn't see any upgrades yet? That was one of the best parts of the first game was getting that new engine or body, and smoking your buddies, dragging their sorry asses from the back of the screen every 2 seconds!!!
Yeah, so this has been an ongoing source of confusion... we can't figure out how to activate stuff (is it double-tapping  in the direction you are traveling)?

I haven't played MotoRoaderMC in a few years, but I was making progress just playing it as a simple game...but some tracks just seemed incredibly tough (you couldn't make even a small error...)

So, I can't help but feel that I only know "half" the game.

Gredler

Last week I was playing some Neutopia while preparing to start Ys IV. After playing through I & II and III recently, I am excited to see this hudson developed game - so stoked!

One thing I didn't remember from Neutopia is how helpful the NPCs are at first, they basically tell you exactly where to go and what to do, and I also forgot how forgiving death is initially as well.

I am on the third dungeon right now, will be continueing it later tonight after some MS paint work ;)

crazydean

Yeah, the NPCs are very helpful in Neutopia. Unfortunately, there are just SO many of them to speak with.

crazydean

jordan_hillman

I'm playing this absolute classic how it ought to be played! :wink:

I picked the Emerson up about 9 months ago at Goodwill for $5. It even had the original remote with no battery corrosion! :D

On another note, what is everyone's favorite firepower/power-up combination?? Right now I'm trying out firepower upgrade IV with the shield power up. My go-to is III with homing missiles, but I also have a lot of fun with I and the shield power up as well.

Thoughts?

TG_BlazingLasers.jpg
"Live the code, the code of the Dragon!"

crazydean

Depends on how you like to play. I like the III with homing missiles. It seems to be the cheapest/easiest way to play because you can run away and still kill stuff. However, I still haven't beaten the game.

OldTurboBastard

Quote from: esteban on 01/29/2018, 02:59 PM
Quote from: OldTurboBastard on 01/28/2018, 09:25 PMJust got a new copy of MotoRoader MC (i guess it's part 3?) in the mail...it's no longer new. Was initially disappointed to see the scrolling tracks are gone, more like a super sprint type game now...but 20 minutes or so of play revealed it was actually still pretty fun....could see multiplayer battles still being fun, but i didn't see any upgrades yet? That was one of the best parts of the first game was getting that new engine or body, and smoking your buddies, dragging their sorry asses from the back of the screen every 2 seconds!!!
Yeah, so this has been an ongoing source of confusion... we can't figure out how to activate stuff (is it double-tapping  in the direction you are traveling)?

I haven't played MotoRoaderMC in a few years, but I was making progress just playing it as a simple game...but some tracks just seemed incredibly tough (you couldn't make even a small error...)

So, I can't help but feel that I only know "half" the game.
Yeah the weapon usage is weird, but what seems to work every time for me in a couple of sit downs with it is to let off the accelerator briefly (like split second) and then tap it twice. Fires a shot every time. But that's just firing...believe I saw where I was somehow changing weapons mid race.

In short, yeah it's confusing!

jordan_hillman

Quote from: crazydean on 01/30/2018, 08:44 PMDepends on how you like to play. I like the III with homing missiles. It seems to be the cheapest/easiest way to play because you can run away and still kill stuff. However, I still haven't beaten the game.

III with homing missiles is absolutely a cheap way to play, I agree. And it's the only combination I've beaten the game with, lol.

However, I am absolutely no expert at shooters. I typically require a marathon gaming session, consisting of dozens of retries, before I am ever able to beat a shooter.

seieienbu

My favorite weapon combo in Blazing Lazers is Shield Thunder lvl 3 and homing missiles.  Good times.

Winniez

III with almost  anything. Seems to work best for most situations. I just dislike the first few stages (especially the first one) in Gunhead/Blazing Lazers. Its slow, boring, the pacing sucks etc. Pretty much same issues as with the Super Aleste/Space Megaforce.

Winniez

I have been playing the Gradius PC-Engine port lately. Its a pretty good effort but not as good as the later Konami releases. Especially considering that the Gradius arcade game was 6 years old at the time.

One baffling thing is that the extra stage exclusive to this version has a ton of slowdown! I mean if you are going to design a level specifically for the PC-engine why not design it according to the system's and programming limitations. Also, the slowdown is so bad in the tentacle stage that I felt like playing SNES/SFC. I think they should have just dropped that level.

Despite those flaws I still enjoy playing this version. And the music is fantastic.

esteban

Quote from: Winniez on 01/31/2018, 06:30 PMIII with almost  anything. Seems to work best for most situations. I just dislike the first few stages (especially the first one) in Gunhead/Blazing Lazers. Its slow, boring, the pacing sucks etc. Pretty much same issues as with the Super Aleste/Space Megaforce.
The second stage is the worst offender.

Revise Stage 2 and the game would be a lot better, IMHO.

esteban

PukeSter

Quote from: esteban on 01/31/2018, 07:28 PM
Quote from: Winniez on 01/31/2018, 06:30 PMIII with almost  anything. Seems to work best for most situations. I just dislike the first few stages (especially the first one) in Gunhead/Blazing Lazers. Its slow, boring, the pacing sucks etc. Pretty much same issues as with the Super Aleste/Space Megaforce.
The second stage is the worst offender.

I think it's just the music honestly. Has a different flavor to it. The level 4 theme is still absolutely legendary.

And space megaforce is even longer, with 12 levels!! It's so bad they included a shorter mode.

Played some Altered Beast (HuCard) today, got it done on my last life of my last continue. The lack of the voices is sad and the lack of i-frames is annoying, but I love everything else about it. The genny version is great but also an utter pushover and the (inferior) music doesn't even loop. I know the CD version is a bit better, though they didn't reduce the amount of damage needed for the last two bosses

jordan_hillman

Quote from: esteban on 01/31/2018, 07:28 PMThe second stage is the worst offender.

I definitely agree that the first two stages of Blazing Lazers are A LOT less exciting and intense as the later levels. Although, I do enjoy the first two stages for trying out different combinations of weapons and power-ups. :D

The only titled I've played in the Aleste series is MUSHA via emulator. I can't recall if that game starts out very slow as well or if you're thrown right into the insanity.

seieienbu

What can I say?  It's the 90s and there is time for Klax.

Gypsy

Just got done with some Bomberman 94 with my step brother. He had been through some crap lately so it was a great distraction and just all around a good time. I haven't laughed that hard in awhile tbh.

jordan_hillman

Quote from: Gypsy on 02/02/2018, 08:45 PMJust got done with some Bomberman 94 with my step brother. He had been through some crap lately so it was a great distraction and just all around a good time. I haven't laughed that hard in awhile tbh.

That is so awesome to hear! My and I play Bomberman 64 because that is his favorite one to play lol.

But I do love Bomberman 94! I downloaded it off of the Wii virtual console years and years ago, and it's definitely one of my favorite iterations.  :D

Winniez

Bomberman 94 is certainly the best game of the series on PC-Engine.
Overall I'm not sure, there is the brilliant Saturn Bomberman and various Bomberman games on Super Famicom.

Also, glad to hear that your step brother had a good time with the game Gypsy, videogames can be great escapism.

Gypsy

I really love the variety in 94.

And yeah it's some bullshit that is work related. Once it's all over (hopefully Monday!) I might make a thread in fighting street about it lol.

GoldenWheels

Finally got fed up with Valis 2 and needed to shoot something. Popped in Atomic Robo Kid, which I had not played in ages. Gee I wonder why. Good god could the sprites be any freakin bigger?

Had to wash the atomic ass taste out of my mouth and played Chew Man Fu after that.

Gypsy

GoldenWheels

Well it ain't that good either!

I finally found a deal I could handle for Cadash so that's the Saturday night plan. Bourbon, and Cadash.

Gypsy

I would agree that it's not great and really not worth what it goes for now.

esteban

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 02/03/2018, 04:24 PMWell it ain't that good either!

I finally found a deal I could handle for Cadash so that's the Saturday night plan. Bourbon, and Cadash.
PROTIP: Save that bourbon for THE ADVENTURES OF BAYOU BILLY!

You will need it!

It is set in New Orleans, including the swamps and Bourbon Street, and the NA version makes Valis II and Atomic Robo Kid Special look brilliant in comparison.

I have heard that excessive drinking of bourbon is not required for the original JP version of the game.

NEXT STEPS: Play Wonderboy III Monster Lair...that's a damn fun game to wash out the pain and suffering and distaste of games you don't like.

You know I love Valis II, so it is sad to hear that it is frustrating you. I think it is an easy game...but.... I have never made it too far in Atomic Robo Kid (its not easy for me, not at all).

GoldenWheels

Esteban I don't think I should combine bourbon and the Zapper.   :P

I am a little embarrassed as I was fairly stuck on Valis 2 once I lose my powerups late game. And the consensus seems to be...the game is definitely easy. I'll go back to it at some point. But I had gotten sick of it!

Playing Turbografx Cadash last night for the first time, I was shocked to find out there was no password system. I don't know why I was SO sure there was one as I had never played the turbo version, but damned if I didn't think there was a password system. I also couldn't get continuing to work the one time I died (holding button 1, 2, and Down, then hitting Run on the title screen...right?) and therefore I was then kinda drunk AND pissed, and shut it off. Gonna see if I can finish it today before the Superbowl.

PukeSter

Atomic robo kid special is one of my favorites, I've played through it many times. It's very reminiscent of Mr heli.

The genesis version is a straight arcade port and the difficulty is pretty high. The third boss was changed for the pce one because it's so hard here.

Gypsy

Gypsy