@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

My Custom CD Jewel Case Inserts (Fatal Fury 2 Insert)

Started by IvanBeavkov, 09/25/2015, 04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IvanBeavkov

This is a little project I have been working on for myself and I thought it would be fun to share. I have made a Photoshop PSD template file for the back insert for a CD jewel case. (You can open the file in GIMP www.gimp.org and it will work there if you don't have Photoshop.)

It is a cross between the inserts from US Super CD games and the back of later US TurboChip game boxes. I am definitely not going for an exact reproduction with these but more of a custom look the meshes well with the originals.

Here are high quality versions of the jewel case inserts I have made so far and any new ones I make will also be added here.
https://goo.gl/photos/Mc69TSw2EJpXvBq58

This is a sample of what you will see when you first open the TG-16 Jewel Case Back Template file.
i59.tinypic.com/3466qdu.jpg

I did steal the "This package is not printed on recycled paper." joke from GOT 3 in 1 disc insert I found here. I found it unreasonably amusing.

Here is a link to download the template file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzfHjbqYPxpeTVYwZHIxM2hNeEk/view?usp=sharing

Front Template Link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzfHjbqYPxpecHpnbDlMQlVlWkU/view?usp=sharing

I have tried to make it as flexible as possible. You can make the spines look like the original orange US game style or the later Black style, or how about the PCEngine HuCard, CD-ROM2, SUPER cd-rom2, or Arcade card style. You can even make it that weird yellowish/green style they used for 2 of the US CD-ROM releases.

I also added 10 different color bars for the 16-Bit Graphics bar that goes across the back. I think I got them all but if anyone knows of any I missed, or if I got the colors wrong, please let me know. I got the colors from box scans.

I also put lots of things in individual layers so various parts can easily be turned on and off.

For generating the bar codes I used this website:
http://generator.barcoding.com/
Just select bar code type UPC-A and enter the UPC number.

Here are examples of the different styles.

Ninja Spirit - Orange Spine
Ninja Spirit - Orange Spine.jpg

Ninja Spirit - Black Spine
Ninja Spirit - Black Spine.jpg

Ninja Spirit - PCEngine Spine
Ninja Spirit - White Spine.jpg

Ninja Spirit - Yellow-Green Spine
Ninja Spirit - Yellow-Green Spine.jpg

How about we can combine multiple styles in one, and go crazy.
Ninja Spirit - Mix Spine
Ninja Spirit - Mix Spine.jpg

Here are the inserts I have made so far.

Dragon's Curse - Does anyone have a scan of the back of the box for this game? I tried finding one online and apparently no one has scanned it. I would like to get the text from it. The text I used for this image I got from the Master System version and I modified it slightly.
Dragon's Curse - Back - Ver 2.jpg

Order of the Griffon
Order of the Griffon - Back - Ver 2.jpg

Neutopia II
Neutopia II - Back - Ver 2.jpg

Somer Assault
Somer Assault - Back - Ver 2.jpg

TurboGrafx CD System Card 2.0 - Back Insert
TurboGrafx CD System Card 2.0 - Back Insert.jpg
I got the Turbo + CD Unit image from the TG-16 Wikipedia page, because there was no way I was taking a picture as good as that.

I don't have a template for these I just made an image 24 cm wide X 12 cm high at 300 dpi.

TurboGrafx CD System Card 2.0 - Front Insert
IMG
I did take the front cover image from the cover project's DVD case insert but I put the rest together myself.
Go here to see the original: http://www.thecoverproject.net/view.php?game_id=4015

Gate of Thunder 3 in 1 - Front Inside
IMG

Gate of Thunder 3 in 1 - Front Outside
IMG

Edit: Added a couple image attributions I forgot to add initially.

Edit 2: Added Link to Front Template

IvanBeavkov

Here are some pictures of the inserts printed out and in cases so you can see how they look. They are not the best pictures but I think they get the point across.

/2gv68tt.jpg
/ng1pau.jpg
/311rjoz.jpg

NecroPhile

Those're pretty neato, and much more universally user friendly that my dwg template.  Thanks for sharing.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

The flexibility and variety of these templates is great. Folks can really chose the aesthetic that they prefer. Very nice.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

jelloslug

cr8zykuban0

that does look really good! a very nice idea and alternative to getting the boxes and/or cic games.

SuperPlay

ClodBusted

Thank you so much for providing your cool templates!

csgx1

Very nice!  I like the 2.0 system card inserts.  Awesome work and thanks for sharing.

Sparky

Ya they look good, nice option

Gentlegamer

IMG

slinkyturd

Might be a nice alternative to pirating cases for those infamous plastic tray hucards.
70/95 US Turbochips

xcrement5x

Awesome PSD!  I may use it to finally put together a back template for my Magical Chase chucard.

IvanBeavkov

Glad everyone likes it.

I also want to give a shout out to the people who made the logos I am using in this template. I found them using google image search and this template would not have been as good without them.

In particular I would like to thank forum member Phase. Apparently it is his TG-16 authorized seal of approval that I found. It is very nice and by far the best one I have found.

Here is a link to PNG versions of the logos I used.
https://goo.gl/photos/Aoo1LiqwHQyrs11r5

If anyone makes an insert please feel free to post it. I would love to see what you guys come up with.

Oh, and I have made some small updates to the template since I originally posted it. Nothing big just a couple of color tweaks and cleaning up a few stray white pixels from some of the logos.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzfHjbqYPxpeTVYwZHIxM2hNeEk/view?usp=sharing

Warbucks

esteban

I just thought of a fun project: take all the old "orange spine" games and give them a splash of color (update to the color-coded genre style).

MORE FUN: But, then, take all the color games and give them the "orange label" spine aesthetic.

I'm not expecting anyone to do this, but it would appeal to the folks who enjoy "uniformity" on the shelves...

...personally, it would be interesting to see a wall of all the TG-16 games, but completely in L'orange. It wouldn't make finding a game easier (probably the opposite), but it satisfies the "what if NEC/TTi were lazy and never changed things after launch" alternate universe I've been pondering.

IvanBeavkov

So I decided to make an insert for the front of a CD jewel case. It is not as complex as the back insert template but I hope it can be useful.

Front Template Link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzfHjbqYPxpecHpnbDlMQlVlWkU/view?usp=sharing

You can make a standard looking booklet cover with the cover image on the front and the "Have you played?" list on the back.

Front Template Sample 1
/wrxloz.jpg

Or you can put the game controls on the back.

Front Template Sample 2
/14j3in5.jpg

Or you can make one like my Gate of Thunder insert with the standard cover on the outside and the controls on the inside.

Gate of Thunder 3 in 1 - Front Outside
Gate of Thunder 3 in 1 - Front Outside.webp

Gate of Thunder 3 in 1 - Front Inside
Gate of Thunder 3 in 1 - Front Inside.webp

I also made inserts for the 240P Test Suite Super CD. I may not use this disc often but it should have a nice home.

Link to high quality versions of the jewel case inserts.

240P Front
240P Test Suite - Front.webp

240P Back
240P Test Suite - Back.webp

240P CD
240P Test Suite - CD.webp

Note: I did not make a template for the CD Image, I just threw it together. To print just put the outer circle just outside of the printable area of the label template or the print area of a printable CD.

Jason_dicarlo85

IvanBeavkov

So here are new inserts I have made.

Go here to download high quality versions.
goo.gl/photos/Mc69TSw2EJpXvBq58

I made these for the boots Bernie and BlueBMW are distributing.

Beyond Shadowgate
Beyond Shadowgate - Back.jpg

Might and Magic III
Might and Magic III - Back.jpg

Dynastic Hero
Dynastic Hero - Back.jpg

This I made this Keith Courage insert because I thought it would be fun. I did 2 variants because I was not sure which look people would prefer. I like the A insert a little better myself.

Keith Courage A
Keith Courage in Alpha Zones - Back A.jpg

Keith Courage B
Keith Courage in Alpha Zones - Back B.jpg

esteban

Ivan and others:

I love everything you have been creating and sharing!

I have a lot of updating to do. :)

IvanBeavkov

I hope everyone had a great holiday.

I have really enjoyed making these and have been wondering what to do next. So, I decided to make back inserts for all 21 Chip games that did not come with jewel cases. I also got a request for some instruction inserts for the PCE Works boots. So I will work some of these in between the back inserts.

Step one, acquire images of the backs of all of the game boxes, of my chip back insert project is done. This was tricky because there are not many good scans out there. I had to resort to looking through ebay listings for box photos that were actually readable.

Now that the holidays are over I should be able to find some free time to actually start making these inserts.

Hey esteban, hopefully I can provide you with material for a quite some time and I'm glad you like it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is everything I have made so far that I have not posted in this thread. I will post everything I make in this thread, even if I post it elsewhere, as a type of log.

Go here for the high quality versions of the inserts.

Dungeon Explorer II
Dungeon Explorer II - Back.jpg

Bonk 3
Bonk III HuCard - Back.jpg

Godzilla
Godzilla - Back.jpg

One PDF Godzilla manual:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzfHjbqYPxpeWjRza1NIbktERkU/view?usp=sharing

And a printable manual insert for Godzilla. I made it to be printed on both sides of the paper to make a nice little pamphlet. Just like the 3 in 1 Disc insert I made.

It took a bit of effort to squeeze everything on the inside but I think I got all of the important game information from the manual except the special moves lists for the monsters.

Here is the outside:
Godzilla - Front Outside.jpg

Here is the inside:
Godzilla - Front Inside.jpg

esteban

T2KFreeker

I'm still hoping for a nice CD Front for Might and Magic III and Dynastic Hero. Even a nice summary of the controls like you did with some of the other games would be nice too. Either way, awesome work on that stuff. The Godzilla stuff looks really nice in my collection.
END OF LINE.

spawnshop

incrediblehark

These all look great! keep up the good work!

IvanBeavkov

Due to popular demand (T2KFreeker) here are my custom instruction pamphlets for The Dynastic Hero and Might and Magic 3.

If anyone has better scans of the covers for these games I would appreciate it. The ones I got are OK but a little fuzzy. I would like to update them if anyone has better ones.

High quality versions can be found here:

Dynastic Hero outside
Dynastic Hero - Front Outside.webp

Dynastic Hero inside
Dynastic Hero - Front Inside.webp

Might & Magic 3 outside
Might and Magic III - Front Outside.webp

Might & Magic 3 inside
Might and Magic III - Front Inside.webp

martinine

These are amazing! Thanks so much for posting.
Keith Courage is #1. Alpha Zone inhabitant for life. Thanks to this forum for rejuvenating and continuing my interest in all things Obey.

T2KFreeker

You so rock on these. I know I'm a little late to the party at the moment, but I really appreciate these more than you know. Thanks a million.
END OF LINE.

IvanBeavkov

So here is the first batch of inserts for the jewel case less HuCards.

Interesting discovery, I was trying a lot of fonts to find one that would come close to the font they used to start each paragraph on the back of the Chase HQ box when I can across Brush Script Std. It was exactly the same, I have never had that happen before. I usually find a font that is close but subtly different to whatever fancy font they decided to use but this one was an exact match. I find it interesting to discover things like that.

Air Zonk
Air Zonk - Back.webp

Bomberman 93
Bomberman 93 - Back.webp

Bonk 3 HuCard
Bonk III HuCard - Back.webp

Chase HQ
Chase HQ - Back.webp

Darkwing Duck
Darkwing Duck - Back.webp

Dead Moon
Dead Moon - Back.webp

Gentlegamer

Quote from: IvanBeavkov on 02/19/2016, 04:19 PMInteresting discovery, I was trying a lot of fonts to find one that would come close to the font they used to start each paragraph on the back of the Chase HQ box when I can across Brush Script Std. It was exactly the same, I have never had that happen before. I usually find a font that is close but subtly different to whatever fancy font they decided to use but this one was an exact match. I find it interesting to discover things like that.
Now find the exact font used in the SNES logo. ;)
IMG

IvanBeavkov

So I decided to go and redo some of my earliest inserts because I just didn't really like to how they looked compared to my newer ones. Also I was able to find a picture of the box back for Dragon's Curse and put the proper text on it.

I have discovered something interesting in the process of making these inserts. I have used google image search for a lot of the images I use in these inserts and in my searching I have come across a website that has thousands of quality game logos for a bunch of systems.

I want to share this site but it is a 'romz' site of all things, and I don't think any of the logos are actually displayed anywhere on the site. So I'll post this screenshot of where the logos are so I'm not posting any direct links. If this screenshot is not acceptable I will remove it.

Maybe someone can make a collage out of them.
/10f9mcz.jpg

So anyway here are the updated inserts I made. The old inserts will still be there for anyone that prefers them.

Dragon's Curse - Ver 2
Dragon's Curse - Back - Ver 2.webp

Neutopia II - Ver 2
Neutopia II - Back - Ver 2.webp

Ninja Spirit - Ver 2
Ninja Spirit - Back - Ver 2.webp

Order of the Griffon - Ver 2
Order of the Griffon - Back - Ver 2.webp

Somer Assault - Ver 2
Somer Assault - Back - Ver 2.webp

IvanBeavkov

So here are the rest of the inserts for the jewel case less HuCards.

So i'm not sure what inserts to make next, if anyone has any requests please let me know.

Falcon
Falcon - Back.webp

Ghost Manor
Ghost Manor - Back.webp

Hit the Ice
Hit The Ice - Back.webp

Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu
Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu - Back.webp

Legend of Hero Tonma
Legend Of Hero Tonma - Back.webp

Magical Chase
Magical Chase - Back.webp

New Adventure Island
New Adventure Island - Back.webp

Samurai-Ghost
Samurai Ghost - Back.webp

ShockMan
Shockman - Back.webp

Soldier Blade
Soldier Blade - Back.webp

Time Cruse
Time Cruise - Back.webp

World Sports Competition
World Sports Competition - Back.webp

Bonus inserts!
I just got these games without cases so I made some inserts.

Tale Spin
Tale Spin - Back.webp

Yo Bro
Yo Bro - Back.webp

esteban

I have all of these original cases...but I am still very curious about how all of these inserts would look!

IvanBeavkov

Quote from: esteban on 03/11/2016, 03:25 PMI have all of these original cases...but I am still very curious about how all of these inserts would look!
Well there is only one way to find out, get printing! :-)

Doing all of these inserts has made me wish NEC would have just made all of the games in jewel cases with inserts. I like being able to pull the games off the shelf and look at the back and see something other than plain plastic. I know if I kept them in the boxes I could do that, but boxes are expensive and easy to damage.

I have actually thought about replacing my current original cases with generic jewel cases with inserts.

Just some idle thoughts on a lazy Saturday.

esteban

Quote from: IvanBeavkov on 03/12/2016, 08:53 AM
Quote from: esteban on 03/11/2016, 03:25 PMI have all of these original cases...but I am still very curious about how all of these inserts would look!
Well there is only one way to find out, get printing! :-)

Doing all of these inserts has made me wish NEC would have just made all of the games in jewel cases with inserts. I like being able to pull the games off the shelf and look at the back and see something other than plain plastic. I know if I kept them in the boxes I could do that, but boxes are expensive and easy to damage.

I have actually thought about replacing my current original cases with generic jewel cases with inserts.

Just some idle thoughts on a lazy Saturday.
Yes, I agree: I wish all PCE (and this TG-16) games had tray card inserts.

It would have been very nice.

BUT, I am sure it saved money having simpler, lighter (boring) cases. :(

IvanBeavkov

I made some inserts for the naked Fatal Fury 2 I recently got (thanks rcantor77).

This got me thinking is there any interest in translated inserts for PC Engine games that list the controls and translations of menu/option screens?

Fatal Fury 2 - Back.jpg
Fatal Fury 2 - Front Outside.jpg

GaijinD

Looks pretty good. Just wanted to point out that it should probably be "light" and "hard" rather than "low" and "high" when describing the punches and kicks.
Feel like a treasure game on a rainy day.

IvanBeavkov

Quote from: GaijinD on 04/26/2016, 04:11 PMLooks pretty good. Just wanted to point out that it should probably be "light" and "hard" rather than "low" and "high" when describing the punches and kicks.
That makes a lot more sense. Thanks :-)

Fixed
Fatal Fury 2 - Front Outside.jpg

NecroPhile

Why's the game title missing on the original version of the back insert for Beyond Shadowgate?

esteban

When I have the time, all of these are going to be hosted on tg-16.com and given a page...

So, please! Any advice on best practices for printing would be great.

I have a standard blurb I use, but I actually don't print much stuff, ever..so any useful advice for printing/folding (paper/card stock, folding with a straight edge, types of ink to use/avoid, etc. ) to create the nicest results would be appreciated :)

IvanBeavkov

Quote from: guest on 04/28/2016, 12:49 PMWhy's the game title missing on the original version of the back insert for Beyond Shadowgate?
It should be there. When I click the google photos link I see the name in my custom insert and the original one. Is it there if you download the file?

Also what browser are you using? I know Google photos has some issues with some versions of IE but I have never heard of anything like what you are describing.

esteban,
I don't really do anything special I just print on glossy paper using my inkjet. The images are made to be the correct size so you should not need to scale them just print them at 100% original size. I can type up some instructions on what I do and what my setup is and how I print and cut. You can use that make whatever instructions you would like.

TDIRunner

Quote from: esteban on 04/28/2016, 02:25 PMWhen I have the time, all of these are going to be hosted on tg-16.com and given a page...

So, please! Any advice on best practices for printing would be great.

I have a standard blurb I use, but I actually don't print much stuff, ever..so any useful advice for printing/folding (paper/card stock, folding with a straight edge, types of ink to use/avoid, etc. ) to create the nicest results would be appreciated :)
In my opinion, the most important factor is good quality paper.  Obviously a good printer with good quality ink and the correct print settings is important as well, but if you use the best printer in the world to print on standard copy paper, it will look like crap.  I use a few different types of paper for printing depending on the type of case I'm going to use.  I typically use a high quality matte paper for larger cases like UGCs or Sega cases.  However, for CD jewel cases like the ones in this thread, I tend to use a slightly thinner semi gloss photo paper.  I find it's easier to bend this paper for the spines in the jewel case.  I don't have specifics in front of me at the moment, but I can get some brand names and paper specs later tonight.

Semi-gloss photo paper (left) vs. copy paper (right).
Paper Comparrision 2.jpg

Matte paper (right) vs. copy paper (left).
September 2014 Pickup 15.jpg

As far as printers go, I've found that any standard ink jet printer will do the job just fine.  I use a Cannon which was around $90 new.  I've had bad luck using generic ink so I always buy the Cannon brank ink.  However, I recommend buying the XL cartridges since you get about 3x the numbers of prints for only 50% more money.  I always print on the highest quality setting and make sure the paper type matches what I'm printing on (whether it's matte or semi gloss).

After printing, I use the following paper cutter. It's extremely easy to line up the cutting blade with the edge of the cover to get a perfect cut.  The blades can be easily replaced.  There is also a strip underneath the cutting blade that can be replaced over time.  This strip helps with guiding the blade and providing a clean cut completely through the paper.  They sell a scoring blade for this cutter, but I haven't used it.  I purchased mine at Michaels.  I don't remember the price, but it was reasonable and it's pretty easy to get 20 to 40% off coupons there.  They also sell the replacement parts.  The best advice I can give is this.  If the cutting blade doesn't line up perfectly flush with the straight edge, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.  Many paper cutters are setup this way making it extremely difficult to get a perfect cut along the edge of your cover.

January 2015 Pickup 7.jpg

And lastly, to bend the spines, I just take a utility knife and straight edge and LIGHTLY run the knife over the paper twice.  This provides a good score to pend the paper.  Once I put the paper into the jewel case, I run the back side (non-sharp) part of the knife along the back side of the crease to push it into the jewel case.  This usually gives me a perfect bend and crease. 

Hopefully that's helpful.  I'm sure there will be differing opinions on the best way to print this stuff, but I've printed many covers for my personal collection and these methods have worked really well for me.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

NecroPhile

Quote from: esteban on 04/28/2016, 02:25 PMSo, please! Any advice on best practices for printing would be great.

I print on a color laser printer with 110 lb card stock.  I cut 'em out with a metal ruler, snap-off utility knife, and a steady hand, lightly scoring the folds to get nice, clean corners.

Quote from: IvanBeavkov on 04/28/2016, 03:36 PMIt should be there. When I click the google photos link I see the name in my custom insert and the original one. Is it there if you download the file?

Also what browser are you using? I know Google photos has some issues with some versions of IE but I have never heard of anything like what you are describing.
beyondshadowgateBACK.webp

I'm using chrome.  I can't see a title on this one, either on the main page of all images or downloaded and opened in Photoshop Elements.

IvanBeavkov

NecroPhile,

Here is what I see when I go to my link.
beyondshadowgateBACK.webp

I did re-upload the image though, hopefully that fixes it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

NecroPhile

There's no titles in that jpg either.  Methinks we're not talking about the same thing.  :lol:

The back insert should have the game's title next to the seafoam green super cd angled logo things, the parts that gets folded up to become the spines.  The front insert has all black spines, which is correct.

IvanBeavkov

Ohhhhh... you are talking about the spine labels. I was looking at the big logo on the back cover.  ](*,)

I can't believe I didn't notice that before, and it looks like my source images I have saved locally don't have them either. I'll have to look around tomorrow and try to figure out what happened.

IvanBeavkov

OK, so I didn't originally make these inserts and I found where the came from, forum member Ayce made these and they apparently never put the name on the spine.

See original post here: https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=19414.0

So I added the name to the spine. Hope that helps you out.
beyondshadowgateBACK - With Title On Spine.png

Go here for the high quality versions of the insert.

IvanBeavkov

So here is how I print the inserts for myself.

My printer is just an HP Inkjet, a slightly older one, it is a HP Photosmart C5280. (Considering how old this thing is I was astonished that they released new drivers last year.)

I use HP Brochure Paper - Glossy, but I'm sure any high quality paper will do.
http://www.amazon.com/HP-Brochure-Glossy-Brightness-Q1987A/dp/B0000BW6V6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462049872&sr=8-1&keywords=hp+brochure+%26+flyer+paper

When I print I make sure my printer is set to Best quality and Print at Actual Size.
/2ag8e4h.jpg

Make sure the print size settings are set to 100% scale and the Height is 12.25 cm and the Width is 15.5 cm. This is slightly larger than an actual jewel case insert because of the cut marks in the image.

Then I move the print position of the image to the top of the preview sheet. This is so I can print 2 inserts per sheet of paper. (Allow a few min drying time before sending the paper through the printer again.)
/ao8654.jpg

I use scrap booking tools similar to what TDIRunner posted to cut the paper.

When I fold the inserts I don't score them, I don't trust myself not to cut through, I just lay them over a jewel case and fold them over the top or bottom edge. Then when I put the insert into a case I use a finger nail push the fold into the corner and this usually makes a good crease.

esteban