RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Wow... got the wife in on some 2 player Double Dungeons last night

Started by tpivette, 03/24/2012, 10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tpivette

So after my wife layed my 2 year old son down for bed last night, I noticed she looked a little bored. I had been playing Dragon Slayer for a few hours and I guess playing solitare on her phone was getting a little old, so I made a suggestion... "Hey, wanna play a 2 player game with me?".

At the recommendation of members on these boards, I picked up Double Dungeons (it arrived yesterday afternoon) and I was eager to try it. Since it was 2 player, I figured I'd invite the wife to play with me (hey, she can't say I didn't want to spend time with her). To my surprise... she agreed!

We started out on the first dungeon, and I was shocked... not only was she getting into it, but she was doing better than me! She had leveled up higher than me, gotten the treasures before I could find them, and even upgraded her equipment better than I did! Unfortunately for her, I did find the boss before her and was able to defeat it, thus making me the official "winner" of the game. But, she wants to play again tonight... how crazy is that? Is it possible I'm slowly turning her into a Turbonut? Time will tell!
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

TheClash603

Last night my gf yelled at me for 30 minutes for playing Kid Icarus and she said I love video games more than her for the 100th time.  How I envy you...

SuperDeadite

Quote from: TheClash603 on 03/24/2012, 12:51 PMLast night my gf yelled at me for 30 minutes for playing Kid Icarus and she said I love video games more than her for the 100th time.  How I envy you...
Sounds like her slot has gone too long without having Wonder Momo rammed inside...
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 03/24/2012, 01:02 PM
Quote from: TheClash603 on 03/24/2012, 12:51 PMLast night my gf yelled at me for 30 minutes for playing Kid Icarus and she said I love video games more than her for the 100th time.  How I envy you...
Sounds like her slot has gone too long without having Wonder Momo rammed inside...
Why is Clash's penis female?
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

TheClash603

The other argument is "you only want me for sex."

Can't seem to win unless I buy her something.

SuperDeadite

Quote from: guest on 03/24/2012, 01:15 PM
Quote from: SuperDeadite on 03/24/2012, 01:02 PM
Why is Clash's penis female?
I meant the actual HuCard of course :)
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

nat

If I had just one penny for every time I'd heard "All you care about is video games....."

TheClash603

Quote from: nat on 03/24/2012, 02:26 PMIf I had just one penny for every time I'd heard "All you care about is video games....."
Then you could buy EVEN MORE video games.  It would be a self-fulfilling prophecy of further richness and more game time.

nat

Quote from: TheClash603 on 03/24/2012, 02:38 PM
Quote from: nat on 03/24/2012, 02:26 PMIf I had just one penny for every time I'd heard "All you care about is video games....."
Then you could buy EVEN MORE video games. 
Not before I would have been giving half of it back in the divorce...

motdelbourt

Quote from: tpivette on 03/24/2012, 10:46 AMSo after my wife layed my 2 year old son down for bed last night, I noticed she looked a little bored. I had been playing Dragon Slayer for a few hours and I guess playing solitare on her phone was getting a little old, so I made a suggestion... "Hey, wanna play a 2 player game with me?".

At the recommendation of members on these boards, I picked up Double Dungeons (it arrived yesterday afternoon) and I was eager to try it. Since it was 2 player, I figured I'd invite the wife to play with me (hey, she can't say I didn't want to spend time with her). To my surprise... she agreed!

We started out on the first dungeon, and I was shocked... not only was she getting into it, but she was doing better than me! She had leveled up higher than me, gotten the treasures before I could find them, and even upgraded her equipment better than I did! Unfortunately for her, I did find the boss before her and was able to defeat it, thus making me the official "winner" of the game. But, she wants to play again tonight... how crazy is that? Is it possible I'm slowly turning her into a Turbonut? Time will tell!
Sounds like Double Dungeons has untapped potential as a casual game. I can picture the Facebook remake now: Double Dungeons With Friends. When defeating green slimes, you find Sephora coupons instead of treasure.

ParanoiaDragon

Wow, I haven't been able to get into the game myself, let alone getting my wife to play!
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: TheClash603 on 03/24/2012, 01:17 PMThe other argument is "you only want me for sex."

Can't seem to win unless I buy her something.
sounds like you need to find a new girlfriend.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

esteban

Quote from: tpivette on 03/24/2012, 10:46 AMWe started out on the first dungeon, and I was shocked... not only was she getting into it, but she was doing better than me! She had leveled up higher than me, gotten the treasures before I could find them, and even upgraded her equipment better than I did! Unfortunately for her, I did find the boss before her and was able to defeat it, thus making me the official "winner" of the game. But, she wants to play again tonight... how crazy is that? Is it possible I'm slowly turning her into a Turbonut? Time will tell!
It's great to hear that both of you are enjoying the game. :pcgs:

Here is a (sadly) simple thing in Double Dungeons that I always loved: sneaking up/running into the other player! As you know, since the game is in first-person perspective, you never get to see yourself! But, if you sneak up/meet each other,  you get to see what each character looks like (from multiple angles! woohoo!)

If I had designed the game, I would have added more mirrors/reflective water to create more "HEY! Who's there?! Oh, snap, that's just my reflection!" moments in the game. :pcgs:

It's not surprising that the tagline for the  original print advertisements read: "Double Dungeons: Strengthening Relationships Since 1989"
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

TheClash603

I have never played the "Double" portion of this game, only sat down with it one player.  My new quest is to find someone that wants to play with me...

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: TheClash603 on 03/25/2012, 02:53 PMI have never played the "Double" portion of this game, only sat down with it one player.  My new quest is to find someone that wants to play with me...
play with yourself.  You has turbobtap, right.

Keith Courage

I played the same game with my GF for a bit. After a couple days and making it to dungeon 5 she began to fall asleep while playing the game. lol

tpivette

Not my wife... she played the 2nd dungeon last night and keeps asking for more. I would indulge her... but I'm on chapter 5 of Dragon Quest. And I've got Cosmic Fantasy 2 to play...

Every once in a while I'll play DD with her... if I keep her from it ever so slightly, she'll only want it more!
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: guest on 03/25/2012, 03:18 PM
Quote from: TheClash603 on 03/25/2012, 02:53 PMI have never played the "Double" portion of this game, only sat down with it one player.  My new quest is to find someone that wants to play with me...
Exactly!  That's what feet are for!!
IMG

TheClash603

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 03/26/2012, 12:49 AM
Quote from: guest on 03/25/2012, 03:18 PM
Exactly!  That's what feet are for!!
LOL, this was the dirtiest thing I ever read.

Arkhan Asylum

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Tatsujin

I once could convince my wifey to clear snatcher CD-ROMantic. actually I just showed her the game one day, and the next day when I came home it was cleared..lol.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

JoshTurboTrollX

remember that you can always wait at the bosses door then double team the bastard when your partner shows up!  ;)
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

esteban

My wife destroys me at Ms. Pac Man and she can probably kick most of your asses in Galaga. Just sayin' :pcgs:.

However, when it comes to any other video game, well...she has no interest. IMG
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

PunkCryborg

I can only get my wife to play puzzle games which I have no problem with because I love puzzle games too. She likes bubble bobble, tetris, dr mario and every once in a while I can get her to play something else with me. I got her to play Raiden III the other day and she actually liked it and we got in a little high score competition with level 1.

TheClash603

My girlfriend only plays the newest trendy iphone games.

She had the nerve to get mad at me for not playing Words With Friends with her, even thoug she hasn't played a game with me in the 5 years I have been asking.  EXCEPT she did play through my TNMT arcade game with me.

kiketonto

Quote from: tpivette on 03/24/2012, 10:46 AMWe started out on the first dungeon, and I was shocked... not only was she getting into it, but she was doing better than me! She had leveled up higher than me, gotten the treasures before I could find them, and even upgraded her equipment better than I did!
You mean he does not play when you are at work? HAHAHA

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: TheClash603 on 04/01/2012, 11:55 AMMy girlfriend only plays the newest trendy iphone games.

She had the nerve to get mad at me for not playing Words With Friends with her, even thoug she hasn't played a game with me in the 5 years I have been asking.  EXCEPT she did play through my TNMT arcade game with me.
Tell her TG-16 is a phone, and all the cool kids are playing it.

soop

Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!