RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Why didn't Rare get into Turbob?

Started by Arkhan Asylum, 11/01/2017, 02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winniez

Quote from: turboswimbz on 11/07/2017, 09:43 PM
Quote from: Winniez on 11/07/2017, 08:51 PMConsidering Rare, yeah they made few high quality NES games but generally speaking they blossomed during the SNES and N64 era when they had full backing of Nintendo. Besides, there are very few quality western developed titles on PC-Engine/Turbografx.
This is a fair point, The fact that NEC and Hudson generally were too slow to try to win the western market may, in fact, be why rare wasn't approached to develop for the PC engine.  but more than that it was simply that Nintendo had a strong hold on many developers at the time, Rare perhaps more than anybody and NEC/Hudson wasn't willing to outspend Nintendo to get many of them on board.   

Rare had the full backing or almost full backing during the NES years as well.  Also, the SNES/64 is where I personally feel Rare gets too much credit sometimes. They were practically missing from the SNES early and released only 8 games 3 of which were Donkey Kong (Arguably some of the best games of the era I'll give you that) and 2 Battletoads games. They produced way more NES Titles and B) they produced N64 titles that were also late in the systems, and most were not exactly home runs.  Yes, they essentially refined the blueprint for the modern day 1st person shooter, with Goldeneye but that's it as far as amazing from rare on the N64.  Banjo - while good wasn't anything new, same with Diddy Kong racing, conker was more adult themed but not exactly groundbreaking for gameplay.  Jet force, DK64, Perfect Dark, and Killer Instinct while good games weren't and still aren't games that are amazing.  Not that Rare wasn't great during those years it's just that nostalgia for Goldeneye and Donkey Kong Country create a bigger than life picture of greatness sometimes.  I would personally say they blossomed during the NES years and then polished and created a few of gamings most memorable games during the SNES and N64 years.
For me Diddy Kong Racing was one of the best games on N64, superior to Mario Kart 64 both technically and gameplay wise, also very innovative. Although I agree to some degree that Rare gets too much credit for their N64 games, the thing is, N64 in general gets too much credit for what it was and besides Nintendo Rare was pretty much the only company that kept releasing quality titles for it. Most of their N64 games have not aged that well but they do have a very high level of polish and refinement. Considering their 3D-platformers I agree, Mario 64 still reigns supreme. I would go as far as to say that DK64 was a big disappointment.

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

_Paul

Amerika

I was under the impression that early in the NES's lifecycle that Nintendo did not allow porting of games that a company brought out on the NES or you'd risk losing the ability to officially publish any future titles on the NES.  Some companies still got around this but I swore that was the case in general.  Of course the more likely cause was the TG16/PCE not having a huge market share or projections in the markets Rare was interested in at the time and it sounds like NEC didn't do a lot to capture the attention of western devs.  It's sad since the machine was capable of so much.

ccovell

This is true, but Rare was never a publisher until 1997, so they were not limited by N's restrictive licensing agreements as technically Tradewest, Acclaim, etc. were the publishers.

Rare became a publisher with the N64 title Diddy Kong Racing (sez Wikipedia).

wildfruit

Solar jetman with more colours would have been nice.

spenoza

Quote from: wildfruit on 11/30/2017, 03:01 PMSolar jetman with more colours would have been nice.
Let's not aim high or anything...

Arkhan Asylum

Solar Jetman on the Turbo would've just pissed me off with nicer graphics, lol.

That game was infuriating but fun.

I'd go for Snake Rattle n Roll myself.

That game was the tits.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 12/01/2017, 08:32 PMI'd go for Snake Rattle n Roll myself.

That game was the tits.
This!
IMG