10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

What PC-Engine Stuff did you get today?

Started by Shadow, 04/03/2013, 09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nando

Quote from: toktogul on 06/22/2014, 04:03 AMI went shopping in Sendai area :) (I ordered Star Parodier for this week's GOTW)
IMG

And I got a pc engine duo R for 100$ at my local video game store. It was my lucky pc engine week.

IMG
man, nice haul

toktogul

Quote from: guest on 06/23/2014, 01:41 PM
Quote from: SuperPlay on 06/22/2014, 07:11 AMRecent OST adds:

IMG
Nice!  Have you (or anyone else that trolls Japanese markets) ever seen a Gotzendiener OST for sale?   Me wanty.
Sadly i don't think it exist. i even checked amazon and its not there. Would it be possible to rip the songs of the cd?

PunkCryborg

Quote from: reson8er on 06/23/2014, 01:05 PMJust received Metamor Jupiter.

Absolutely love Old School style anime art, so beautiful.

IMG
Awesome game! Doesn't get enough attention. I think a lot of shooter fans look over it because of the lack of score but it's really awesome and worth figuring out and finishing. The ending is a really nice full vocal track. I uploaded it on YT but try and beat it to hear it for yourself first

NecroPhile

Quote from: toktogul on 06/23/2014, 10:34 PMSadly i don't think it exist. i even checked amazon and its not there. Would it be possible to rip the songs of the cd?
I'm pretty sure it does exist: clicky.  I haven't seen one for sale, but I've not looked all that hard for it either; I'm probably gonna need to troll yahoo auctions.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

reson8er

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 06/23/2014, 10:40 PMAwesome game! Doesn't get enough attention. I think a lot of shooter fans look over it because of the lack of score but it's really awesome and worth figuring out and finishing. The ending is a really nice full vocal track. I uploaded it on YT but try and beat it to hear it for yourself first
I got to the end of the 2nd stage last night and really enjoyed what I played. Some very cool concepts going on in the game and nice intro to set the stage. Yeah score doesn't matter so much to me personally. O:)

toktogul

Quote from: reson8er on 06/24/2014, 11:14 AM
Quote from: PunkCryborg on 06/23/2014, 10:40 PMAwesome game! Doesn't get enough attention. I think a lot of shooter fans look over it because of the lack of score but it's really awesome and worth figuring out and finishing. The ending is a really nice full vocal track. I uploaded it on YT but try and beat it to hear it for yourself first
I got to the end of the 2nd stage last night and really enjoyed what I played. Some very cool concepts going on in the game and nice intro to set the stage. Yeah score doesn't matter so much to me personally. O:)
Ill take your advice and buy it tonight. l enjoy good music more than anything when i play retro games, so hearing you two saying good thing about it makes me want to jump and buy it now. how much would be a fair price for it you think?

Bardoly

Some recent pickups...  Nothing as good as those recent pickups. ^^

IMG

Right to left, top to bottom,

ROMROM Karaoke Volume 2
Shogi Shoshinsha Muyo
Sokoban World (Boxy Boy)
TV Sports Football
Victory Run
Ultra Box Vol. 4
World Beach Volley
World Circuit
Xevious

This brings my Obey library up to 651/884.  :)  Although, I do realize that PCE Daisakusen! has not been updated with the recent indie releases yet.  :(

technozombie

I won my first auction on Yahoo Japan today. I'm going through Buyee. Hopefully that goes well. I'm hoping to have something to show here in a few weeks lol.

Bardoly

One more pickup.

IMG

I now have all three of the Dengeki Mooks.   :mrgreen:

This brings my Obey library up to 652/884.   8)

esteban

Quote from: Bardoly on 06/30/2014, 11:28 AMOne more pickup.

IMG

What's on the CD•ROM?
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Bardoly

Quote from: esteban on 06/30/2014, 11:32 AMWhat's on the CD•ROM?
It's the Emerald Dragon Taikenban/demo disk.  Since I just got it yesterday, I haven't had a chance to load it up yet, but here's a brief explanation/description of this disk that I found on the internet.

Medic_wheat

what are the two other game in this series?

NecroPhile

Seiya Monogatari is one of the other two.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 07/01/2014, 03:11 PM

Tengai Makyou Fuun Kabuki Den and Anearth Fantasy Stories aka Seiya Monogatari (containing the exclusive schtroumpf "Cychorider"8)).
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 07/01/2014, 05:10 PM

Tengai Makyou Fuun Kabuki Den and Anearth Fantasy Stories aka Seiya Monogatari (containing the exclusive schtroumpf "Cychorider"8)).
Cychorider! Thanks for reminding me about that. Damn.

Bardoly

Quote from: guest on 07/01/2014, 05:10 PM

Actually, in the Dengeki PC Engine 3-Mook series, as far as I know it is Emerald Dragon, Bakuretsu Hunter (aka. Sorcerer Hunters), and Anearth Fantasy Stories aka Seiya Monogatari (containing the exclusive shoot-'em-up "Cychorider") pictured below.

IMG

I do know that there are a few more PC Engine games which came in/with a magazine - Motteke Tamago for one, but I do not have a definitive list yet.  The below quote has some information that I've gleaned from the internet, but I haven't been able to confirm this personally.

QuoteThis list is from the Turbo list.

Date: Thu Dec  4 20:34:38 EST 2003
Subject: Re: emerald dragon- 2 CDS?!?!?!?!

At 09:26 AM 04/12/2003 -0500, George Plamantouras wrote:
>second disc says (some kanji) then *MOOK shirizu* (series?).  there is
>also a little book of artwork and a brief paragraph at then end which
>mentions the pc88, 98, x68k, msx2, towns, and pc engine...has the game
>appeared on all of these systems?

No, the game didn't actually get released as a 2-disc set.
Yes, the game was released on all those platforms.

Please see this website for differences:
http://emedra.the2d.com/

On the PC Engine platform, there were two releases:
Once, as the double-CD case with manual and art book (CDROM was the
white-and-green one), and once as a "MOOK" - a magazine/book with a CDROM
included, fromDengeki MOOK.  In Emerald Dragon's case, it was a "capture
guide" book, and I believe the version of the game was a full version
(rather than just a playable demo).

There were 3 MOOKs in the Dengeki series:
1: Emerald Dragon
2: Bakuretsu Hunter
3: Seiya Monogatari (An Earth Fantasy Stories)

There were also other MOOKs released by other publishers, such as:

Tengai Makyo Kabuki Den (this may be a playable demo)
3x3 Eyes (I just got this, so I don't know what the game CDROM is - but the
book is artwork rather than a player's guide)
Record of Lodoss War 1
Record of Lodoss War 2
Kaze no Densetsu Xanadu
Develo Assembler (for programming)
Develo BASIC (for programming)
If anyone can confirm the above mooks, that would be great, and any information concerning other mooks would be greatly appreciated as well.

shubibiman

Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

Bardoly

Quote from: shubibiman on 07/02/2014, 06:02 PMI do confirm  :)
So this list is accurate?  There are only 11 PC Engine games which came in/with a magazine as listed below?

3x3 Eyes
Bakuretsu Hunter
Develo Assembler
Develo BASIC
Emerald Dragon
Kaze no Densetsu Xanadu
Motteke Tamago
Record of Lodoss War 1
Record of Lodoss War 2
Seiya Monogatari (Anearth Fantasy Stories)
Tengai Makyo Kabuki Den

shubibiman

As far as I know, 3X3 Eyes doesn't come with a game. The 2 Develo Magazines do come with SCD's but these are not games. If you count the Develo CD's as games, then you should count all the CD-Rom Capsules.

Here is a quick view of most of the magazines that do come with a SCD (except for the Super PC Engine fan, thats comes with an audio CD) :

shubibiman .free.fr/Collection%20consoles/Collec%20d%e9tail/Capsule.JPG
shubibiman .free.fr/Collection%20consoles/Collec%20d%e9tail/Mooks%201.JPG
shubibiman .free.fr/Collection%20consoles/Collec%20d%e9tail/Mooks%202.JPG
shubibiman .free.fr/Collection%20consoles/Collec%20d%e9tail/Super%20PC%20engine%20Fan.JPG

toktogul

I got Download... and got owned. this popped up....

imgur .com/SmQmWyc.jpg

Medic_wheat

Quote from: toktogul on 07/03/2014, 08:05 AMI got download... and got owned. this poped up....

imgur .com/SmQmWyc.jpg
What game is that?

NecroPhile

Otaking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

Medic_wheat

QuoteIMG
Cool...I take it you are playing an English tanslation?

or does it have english options like the Ninja Gidan game?

toktogul

its mostly in Japanese. only these shots when u die or pass a level shows these picture with profanities

NightWolve

Quote from: Bardoly on 07/02/2014, 03:26 PMActually, in the Dengeki PC Engine 3-Mook series, as far as I know it is Emerald Dragon, Bakuretsu Hunter (aka. Sorcerer Hunters), and Anearth Fantasy Stories aka Seiya Monogatari (containing the exclusive shoot-'em-up "Cychorider") pictured below.

IMG
That's pretty cool, I didn't know there was some sort of a connection with these 3 games. The guy in your quote from the TurboList BTW is David Shadoff who has and knows everything when it comes to TG-16/PC Engine (he also helped me with the Ys IV project!). He visits here once in a while - You can PM him to confirm whatever, he'll usually help with that sort of thing if time permits.

HailingTheThings

Download looks pretty wow, moreso 2?
IMG

esteban

shubibiman

Quote from: NightWolve on 07/03/2014, 08:12 PM
Quote from: Bardoly on 07/02/2014, 03:26 PMActually, in the Dengeki PC Engine 3-Mook series, as far as I know it is Emerald Dragon, Bakuretsu Hunter (aka. Sorcerer Hunters), and Anearth Fantasy Stories aka Seiya Monogatari (containing the exclusive shoot-'em-up "Cychorider") pictured below.

IMG
That's pretty cool, I didn't know there was some sort of a connection with these 3 games. The guy in your quote from the TurboList BTW is David Shadoff who has and knows everything when it comes to TG-16/PC Engine (he also helped me with the Ys IV project!). He visits here once in a while - You can PM him to confirm whatever, he'll usually help with that sort of thing if time permits.
The only connection between those games is they're part of the Dengeki CD-Rom and Mook series. Apart from that, there's no link at all.

shubibiman

shubibiman .free.fr/Arrivages%202013/sgx%20neutopia.JPG

:P

HailingTheThings

IMG

technozombie

Got my stuff in, I'm very pleased. Everything works great even though the auction said junk. Now I need to look up a translation for the memory bank.

uzamyrub.jpg

NecroPhile

Quote from: technozombie on 07/07/2014, 11:36 AMNow I need to look up a translation for the memory bank.
The pictures make it pretty easy to figure out, but just in case: clicky.

SuperPlay

Quote from: guest on 07/07/2014, 11:56 AM
Quote from: technozombie on 07/07/2014, 11:36 AMNow I need to look up a translation for the memory bank.
The pictures make it pretty easy to figure out, but just in case: clicky.
Also from my links tread:

Tennokoe Bank Card (Video Guide): http://tinyurl.com/q3rgtye

technozombie

The on screen image were pretty obvious. Being able to press select and see what saves are on there is a nice feature.

synbiosfan

I got my Express & Duo-R back from turbokon :dance:

The Express's new screen is awesome, much clearer. I hooked it up to the TV, plugged in a controller and showed the girlfriend who thought it was very cool.

The Duo-R's component mod looks great on my 27" Toshiba crt and I love the custom cord. Like the discretely placed region switch, the overall look of the console is unchanged while it now packs a punch!!!

I couldn't be more happy! Great work, communication, skillz, blah, blah, blah :P

=D> =D> =D>

Bardoly

One more pickup.

IMG

This completes my collection of the 6 Ultra Box CD's.  :)

This brings my Obey library up to 653/884.   8)

Bardoly

Only one PC Engine pickup at VGS...  :)   :|

IMG
This is the Super CD-ROM Taiken Soft Shuu.  It's a combo demo disk for Tengai Makyo: Manji Maru and Dragon Slayer.

This brings my Obey library up to 655/884.   8)

I got this from cdamm's vendor booth - Windy Gaming.  He has some cool Ys posters and other good stuff, so give his website a look-see.

NightWolve

Quote from: Bardoly on 07/14/2014, 12:50 AMI got this from cdamm's vendor booth - Windy Gaming.  He has some cool Ys posters and other good stuff, so give his website a look-see.
Is he in or near Chicago ? Might wanna buy something from his store there and just see about driving over to pick it up. EDIT: Ah, his website didn't answer my question, but his Facebook page did, nevermind.

seieienbu

Picked up a copy of Dragon Slayer 2 at a local shop today.  I've been wanting to play it for a while and the price was okay.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

elderbroom

Not today .. but recently.  Saw a SuperGrafx console posted in a local classified. Contacted seller to find out it was a guy that works for same company, at same office as myself. (see the associated Google+ images that it puts on my Gmail account was good for something finally).  When I go meet the guy he has a whole box of PCE stuff, and is of the opinion that he just wanted it gone, had no use for it, and since I had expressed I was a retro gamer and would most certainly play it .. he gave me a great price. I even insisted on paying him alittle more, as I kept expressing the value of the items. But he was content just to see it go to a local collector, and more importantly gamer.

So picked up: loose SuperGrafx with single controller, AV and AC adapter.  boxed PC Engine GT (box is rather rough), AC adapter for PCE GT, and then a handful of games including R Type I & II, Battle Ace, Download, Galaga '88, Gunhed, Image Fight, Kyukyoku Tiger, PC Genjin 2, Power League III, and Super Star Solder.  Also a 6 button PCE controller, and a PCE turbo tap.

This was my first purchase of PCE items, having had been a TG-16 collector owner near launch, and collector over the years.  Very much enjoying this, and now keeping my eyes peeled for a PC Engine Duo R or RX as I want to get Gate of Thunder and others.

So very very pleased with this purchase that started as an inquiry against a SGX.  However the PCE GT will need to be re-capped (so heading off to Turbokon next week)
-----------------------
Elderbroom
My TG-16/PCE Collection : http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/615/show-collection.htm

NecroPhile

Nice haul, broom.  If ya don't mind me askin', how much did it set ya back?

elderbroom

PM'd Necro. It was an insanely low price, despite me trying to advise seller of it's actual value. He was happy to see it go local, and to someone who was going to enjoy and play the hell out of it. I see the guy around the office, and still tell him that I owe him acouple pints.
-----------------------
Elderbroom
My TG-16/PCE Collection : http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/615/show-collection.htm

NecroPhile

Nice deal indeed.  It's cool to see a fellow gamer help ya out and your honesty about their value, rather than the usual jackals that ask far more than something is remotely worth or lie and say stuff is worthless so they can get a deal.

Opethian

I recently got Quest of Jongmaster on ACD

now to get decent at 'Jong
IMG

NightWolve

Quote from: elderbroom on 07/27/2014, 04:42 PMSo very very pleased with this purchase that started as an inquiry against a SGX.  However the PCE GT will need to be re-capped (so heading off to Turbokon next week)
Get a 3.5" LCD mod while you're at it.

reno5

Ordered Gulliver boy and Fang or Alnam today.

Received 3x3 Eyes in the mail.

shubibiman

Bought Valis Visual Shuu today in a shop. As matter of fact, I've completed the CD-Rom fullset. :)

geise

Quote from: reno5 on 07/30/2014, 01:55 PMOrdered Gulliver boy and Fang or Alnam today.

Received 3x3 Eyes in the mail.
Gulliver Boy is so awesome!  I still have yet to play Fang of Alnam but it is on my to buy list.  I've wanted it for decades, but I still have so many RPG's to play through.  Fang of Alnam definitely a pretty game.  I just hope the battle system is ok.

NightWolve

Why I'll be damned, I actually have an on-topic addition to this. I just bought 5 games from bbbbbiiiiigggg Al for $25 GBP which took $43 USD to buy... The US dollar has been pounded and pounded by the Great British Pound on down to about half its value, so it's not really desirable to do business with someone in the UK/GB these days I'm afraid... Anyhow, here's the order:

Tengai Makyo II - $2GBP
Cosmic Fantasy I -  $3GBP
Cosmic Fantasy III -  $3GBP
Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes II - $4GBP
Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (SPINE) (JPN) - $4GBP

Plus $9GBP shipping, so $25GBP total = $43 USD... 43 / 5 = 8.6, so $8.6 bucks per game with shipping... Think this works out to an OK deal if you had to get them separately per eBay listing ?? I think I saved a few bucks relative to eBay if I had to get them all like that...

I really wanted a shooter in the deal somewhere, Gradius II is what I asked for, but somebody had already bought it... The thing about these RPGs is they're kinda meant as sitting investments should fan translations ever be finished for them... David Shadoff had started Cosmic Fantasy 1, but it was shelved for the time being last I heard. Ys III JPN I wanted because I wanted the Japanese artwork, so owning another piece of Ys history - I have the US version already. So yeah, none of these are something I will play any time in the future... :( It's like a "let's hold on to these in case something happens way way way down the road and I can play them in English..." deal. I dunno if even I accept all my justifications for this deal, a mix of wanting to own history and unlikely possibilities, but there you go. :/