What PC-Engine Stuff did you get today?

Started by Shadow, 04/03/2013, 09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NecroPhile

Quote from: WoodyXP on 10/06/2015, 09:45 PMJust picked up Bazaru de Gozaru.  Been trying to track it down for the longest time.
Sweet!  Help that lil monkey outfit his bachelor pad!
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

johnnykonami

Quote from: WoodyXP on 10/06/2015, 09:45 PMJust picked up Bazaru de Gozaru.  Been trying to track it down for the longest time.
I didn't know much about this one, but I watched a video and it looks pretty cool.  I love games where you program the actions ahead of time like this, at least that's what I think you do.  The guy in the video had no clue how to play it.

Mzo

Secret Game Freak game that no one talks about.
HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
My Backloggery

Trenton_net

Quote from: johnnykonami on 10/07/2015, 09:24 PM
I didn't know much about this one, but I watched a video and it looks pretty cool.  I love games where you program the actions ahead of time like this, at least that's what I think you do.  The guy in the video had no clue how to play it.
It's a pretty awesome puzzle game. You essentially plan a course of action by programming steps in, and then see if your crazy plan actually works.

shawnji

I got all of these this week and I couldn't be happier!  I've been giddy waiting to finally play through Popful Mail! 

I already have the Japanese versions of the Ys games, but I've wanted the English copies for a long time now.  Thanks to Justin's nice sale over in the Turbo Sales thread, I finally was able to get Ys III, and I've already played through it once since getting it.  I'm a little ways into Ys II at the moment as well. 

Yay!

postimg.org/../20151009_170443.jpg

Its_Sam

I got my Super CD Rom2 in the mail today! No cords yet though, so I can't play it... but it looks nice.

NecroPhile

Quote from: shawnji on 10/09/2015, 06:16 PMI got all of these this week and I couldn't be happier!
Mmmm, nice Popful.  Me so jelly.  :mrgreen:

shawnji

Quote from: guest on 10/11/2015, 01:59 PM
Quote from: shawnji on 10/09/2015, 06:16 PMI got all of these this week and I couldn't be happier!
Mmmm, nice Popful.  Me so jelly.  :mrgreen:
Heh.  It's probably the most expensive game I'll ever get for my Duo-R.  I was just lucky in that I had forgotten about money that was sitting in my PayPal account, which helped me pay for it.  If I had waited a week longer, I probably would have never gotten it, as I got appendicitis not long after I ordered it, and now I have medical bills to worry about before I can go back to buying stuff.

I just wish I had a good PC and a capture card, as this is a game that is sorely lacking in YouTube footage.  I see tons of Let's Plays for the Sega CD version, but hardly anything for the PCE version.

EDIT:

Welp... I beat 'em all already!  (^_^;)

IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG

Medic_wheat

I didn't even know it had a port other then Sega CD

turboswimbz

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 10/11/2015, 06:43 PMI didn't even know it had a port other then Sega CD
I was actually just looking up screen comparisons, there are 4 versions I believe.  PC-88 1991 the orginal, then SNES, PCE - 1994 as well as the Sega CD port in 1995.  (might be one more in there)
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NightWolve

Quote from: esteban on 10/11/2015, 09:34 PMhttps://www.tg-16.com/screenshot_comparisons_rpg.htm#Popful_Mail
Oh my goodness, all that gorgeous, colorful eye-candy, bless you esteban for this and many other wonderful pages on that site. :)

xcrement5x

Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

esteban

Quote from: guest on 10/12/2015, 03:26 PM
Quote from: esteban on 10/11/2015, 09:34 PMhttps://www.tg-16.com/screenshot_comparisons_rpg.htm#Popful_Mail
Man, I've played them but I never realized how brown the Sega one was until I saw the side-by-sides :(
It still is gorgeous though (pixel art is so damn great).

SegaCD Popful Mail is still great.

IMG

seieienbu

I gave the PC Engine version a run through earlier this year and thought it was pretty fun.  I enjoyed the Sega CD version the few times I played it but I haven't touched it in a long time.  I don't know which version I enjoyed playing more but the PC Engine version's vibrant colors look great on such a cheerful platformer.  Sega CD version just looks too drab.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

NightWolve

Quote from: shawnji on 10/11/2015, 02:21 PMIMG
Something I once learned from Game Sack: See that Thomas H. Church credit for Goban Toba ? Yep, that's one in the same as Thomas Haden Church, the Hollywood actor last known for playing Sandman in Spider-Man 3! The Ys Book I & II dub was well-funded and still is one of the best that I know of in a videogame.

Thomas_Haden_ChurchAs SandMan
IMGIMG

Psycho Punch

Honestly the Ys 1&2 voice acting is close to perfect, specially in contrast with Telenet games lol. One can wonder how would be the localization of Ys 3 (maybe 4?) if NEC was the top dog in the console wars.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Elder

QuoteHonestly the Ys 1&2 voice acting is close to perfect, specially in contrast with Telenet games lol. One can wonder how would be the localization of Ys 3 (maybe 4?) if NEC was the top dog in the console wars.
What really impresses me is the year of its release.  Virtually no one else was doing anything remotely like this on consoles.  The quality is superb.

Neorebel

Finally got Spriggan! My first impression is that the audio is blowing me away the most, although I really dig the aesthetics and of course am having loads of fun with it! Somewhat faster feel than other shmups, very cool.

shawnji

Quote from: NightWolve on 10/13/2015, 08:07 PM
Quote from: shawnji on 10/11/2015, 02:21 PMIMG
Something I once learned from Game Sack: See that Thomas H. Church credit for Goban Toba ? Yep, that's one in the same as Thomas Haden Church, the Hollywood actor last known for playing Sandman in Spider-Man 3! The Ys Book I & II dub was well-funded and still is one of the best that I know of in a videogame.

Thomas_Haden_ChurchAs SandMan
IMGIMG
Yup.  Jim Cummings is a big one for me.  He's done so many voices for Disney it's not even funny.  He was Darkwing Duck, and is currently the voice of Pete, Winnie the Pooh, and lord knows how many others.  I can't hear Dalles without it sounding like Pete to me.

NightWolve

Quote from: shawnji on 10/16/2015, 12:47 PMYup.  Jim Cummings is a big one for me.  He's done so many voices for Disney it's not even funny.  He was Darkwing Duck, and is currently the voice of Pete, Winnie the Pooh, and lord knows how many others.  I can't hear Dalles without it sounding like Pete to me.
Yeah, that's pretty cool, and you know, I think it deserves its own topic which I might make good on if my excursion works out. I've been trying to extract the original ADPCM clips out of the Ys Book I & II data track so we can have the purest/cleanest clips available. It would be great to have a page organized around every actor, their real photo next to their in-game photo esteban-style.

It seems though there has already been a site dedicated to cataloging this type of historical information which does just that! Here's the entry Ys Book I & II:

behindthevoiceactors.com/../Ys-Book-I-and-II/

If you listen to the example clips however, some of them were recorded while playing the game on a TV, they're pretty terrible. Many raw ADPCM clips often don't include the background music as that's generated at runtime with PSG code, so if all of them can be extracted, we'll have the cleanest possible sound provided the best ADPCM-to-WAVE conversion software can be used (the best that I know of is Sound Exchange).

Anyway, I already made good progress and tracked down the offset where much of the ADPCM voice-acting begins - I have Thomas H. Church's work already extracted and playing nicely! I just have to divide the data up properly for the extraction batch files so that they can be shared in a dub kit (as I did for Ys IV), identify it all, see how much is there, etc.

esteban

^ I love this—can't wait to hear what you get. Sadly, the ADPCM audio clips are of a significantly lower quality... :(

NightWolve

Yeah, unless some old NEC employee finds all the project materials like the original source recordings, the raw ADPCM binary stream from the Ys Book I & II data track is the best that we'll ever get...

That's if guessing that they were recorded in wave first; they could've went directly to ADPCM and so there might not actually exist a recording that's better in quality. But nah, that's a silly bet since some of the voice-acting is on the redbook audio tracks, so they were recording to wave (AKA 16-bit stereo 44100 Hz PCM) first in those cases, thus original wave files likely do exist of everything on some old NEC USA computer right now, but who knows where it's all at... :)

Would be cool if companies thought to donate old hard drives and what not with stuff like that to videogame historical/preservation groups but obviously things like that would rate very low, if ever, on a priority list. Would be a shame if it all just sort of got thrown out with the trash. In 1990, what kind of PC would they have been using for a localization project, like say a Tandy 1000 ?? How long would you keep equipment like that around as a company ?? It's probably safe to say most stuff got nuked after they got out of the videogame business on the US side of things...

GohanX

So, PCE gets. I very rarely buy any new Obey these days because of the LOL pricing as of late, but I did just get in a new Avenue 6 pad today! I was skeptical that it was actually new due to the relatively low price and was prepared to argue for a partial refund if it was actually used.

neo-geo.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29604&d=1445292465

Looks new to me!

Koop

Just got my imported arcade card pro so I could play Sapphire and such on my briefcase setup. I was also fortunate enough to pick up Ys Book I & II off ebay. Have not played Ys since I was a kid in the 90s so I am pretty excited to enjoy it again.

EvilEvoIX

Two Turbo finds while in Chicago.

IMG

Nothing special but at least I got something.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

Elder

Sure these aren't PC-Engine games, but I don't think we have a Turbo-only related topic, and if we do it must be buried.  Anyways, got these from some awesome members here :D

IMG

shubibiman

Wow ! That Sinistron looks sweet !
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

WoodyXP

Quote from: Elder on 10/24/2015, 09:55 AMSure these aren't PC-Engine games, but I don't think we have a Turbo-only related topic, and if we do it must be buried.  Anyways, got these from some awesome members here :D
Final Zone II and Last Alert.  You picked up two of my guiltiest pleasures in one scoop.  Quality pick-up all around. Congrats!
"I bathe in AES carts."

Elder

Quote from: shubibiman on 10/24/2015, 10:57 AMWow ! That Sinistron looks sweet !
I'm glad to have it :D

Quote from: WoodyXP on 10/24/2015, 11:20 AMFinal Zone II and Last Alert.  You picked up two of my guiltiest pleasures in one scoop.  Quality pick-up all around. Congrats!
Thanks.  I've been looking for some of these for a while, and was so glad when I saw them up for sale :D

tknjin

Quote from: Elder on 10/24/2015, 11:31 PM
Quote from: shubibiman on 10/24/2015, 10:57 AMWow ! That Sinistron looks sweet !
I'm glad to have it :D

Quote from: WoodyXP on 10/24/2015, 11:20 AMFinal Zone II and Last Alert.  You picked up two of my guiltiest pleasures in one scoop.  Quality pick-up all around. Congrats!
Thanks.  I've been looking for some of these for a while, and was so glad when I saw them up for sale :D
Even though I really only play and collect for PC engine, but even I would love to have those Last Alert and Final Zone II english versions haha.  The dubbing on it can turn a terrible day to a hysterical day. Good Finds on those TurboGrafx games man :)

shawnji

I got a ton of happy surprises in the mail today!  I finally have an actual copy of Cotton and I didn't have to pay a totally insane amount for it!  Woohoo!  Granted, the center of the CD holster is busted, so I'll have to swap it out, but still; I'm freakin' stoked!

s16.postimg.cc/6o66m6b8l/20151030_171917.jpg

Artemio

Got a few games I've wanted for a while today... waiting for the next package form a friend in Japan

IMG

Got a lot to play

EvilEvoIX

Got me a Turbo Tap on the Cheap.  Good condition and I believe that it is complete.

IMG
IMG
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

shawnji

Quote from: aurbina on 10/31/2015, 02:12 AMGot a few games I've wanted for a while today... waiting for the next package form a friend in Japan

IMG

Got a lot to play
Very nice!  Gekisha Boy, Takashi Meijin, and Jackie Chan are great pick-ups.  I'd like to play City Hunter at some point too and see what it's like.

GohanX

I spoke recently about how I used to have a TurboDuo but foolishly sold it, and that got the nostalgia juices flowing again. Just so happens a bud did an awesome trade with me for a PCE Duo he's had laying around for years.

Duo.jpg

The little bags are a cap kit, RGB mod kit, and OBEY chip. :D

schweaty

Quote from: GohanX on 11/02/2015, 07:30 PMI spoke recently about how I used to have a TurboDuo but foolishly sold it, and that got the nostalgia juices flowing again. Just so happens a bud did an awesome trade with me for a PCE Duo he's had laying around for years.

Duo.jpg

The little bags are a cap kit, RGB mod kit, and OBEY chip. :D
your pics arent showing up for me on chrome

GohanX

Uploaded to a different site, maybe it'll work now.

synbiosfan

Quote from: GohanX on 11/02/2015, 07:58 PMUploaded to a different site, maybe it'll work now.
It's working for me and very nice pick up!

I have a Duo-R but a Turbo Duo is all kinds of sexy 8)

kosko99

Finally I can post something on this thread! haha

Slowly building my PCE collection  :oops:

/IMG_20151104_175839.jpg
/IMG_20151104_175853.jpg

xcrement5x

IMG

I got this guy straight from the Midwest Annex of Robot Hell , glad to finally have a hu and not need to use the GoT disc anymore.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Opethian

IMG

EvilEvoIX

Turbo Stuff's I got today.

IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
Cool receipt showing the history of some of the games.
IMGIMGIMG

Psycho Punch

That's quite the haul... COLLECTARD!!!

Nice. It must have been a great deal (otherwise why would you buy two base turbografx units?).
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: guest on 11/29/2015, 04:56 AMThat's quite the haul... COLLECTARD!!!

Nice. It must have been a great deal (otherwise why would you buy two base turbografx units?).
It was a package deal.  The Guy just had a box of stuff and offered a price.
IMGIMGIMG

Digi.k

latest batch of super CD-Rom games I've obtained between now and a month ago...

*sigh those prices tho*

IMG

Bardoly

Quote from: Digi.k on 12/02/2015, 09:25 PMlatest batch of super CD-Rom games I've obtained between now and a month ago...

*sigh those prices tho*

IMG
That's some real quality games you got there!  There should be many delightful gaming hours ahead!

NecroPhile

I feel sorry for the four games underneath Tenchi O Kurau (Kabuki Den on the bottom?).  Sorry, guys, but you're not cool enough to be in the family photo.  :|

Trenton_net

Quote from: guest on 12/03/2015, 10:21 AMI feel sorry for the four games underneath Tenchi O Kurau (Kabuki Den on the bottom?).  Sorry, guys, but you're not cool enough to be in the family photo.  :|
If my obey skills don't fail me, your right, the bottom game should be "Far East of Eden: Kabuki Den".

xcrement5x

Quote from: Digi.k on 12/02/2015, 09:25 PMlatest batch of super CD-Rom games I've obtained between now and a month ago...

*sigh those prices tho*

IMG
Some nice goodies there!  You need some poly bag to display those purdy obis on the cases though ;)