10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Videos of development test

Started by tonma, 01/24/2016, 05:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonma

Hi, I've just begun my journey in full asm development.

A Platform game and a vertical scrolling game. One with PyschoFox assets and the vertical with Banshee CD32 and ansimuz ship.
Some slowdown only on the video.

elmer

Congratulations, they're both looking great so far!  :D

It was a good choice (IMHO) to start with someone else's game assets ... you get the benefit of the whole thing looking nice as you start building up your PCE codebase, and it forces you to get some practical experience in handling sprite and map updates.

I remember that you were asking about HuC earlier ... have you decided to ditch that and just write the whole thing in assembly language instead?

tonma

Thanks  :D

Yes, I leave the HuC alone. Many people told me it's really slow. So why not begin directly with full assembly.

But I code slower than C because I learn at the same time. And because lot of examples / Tools are in C.

incrediblehark

Just wanted to say to keep up the good work! Its nice to see more people getting into pce development, and I look forward to seeing your future projects! :)

Psycho Punch

You could always program non-critical parts of the game in C and inject handmade assembly in the parts you want to go fast.

I just don't do that because I have little idea on how HuC works and I'm too lazy to try to learn it. :P
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

ParanoiaDragon

Very cool, keep it up!  Question, I'm slightly familiar with Banshee on the CD32.  Did you have to make any modifications to the graphics you used, such as reducing the color count?
IMG

tonma

For my background, I only use a palette of 16 colors. Because I don't try yet several palettes at the same time.

I'm sure for the AGA or CD32 version, there are at least 32 colors with several different palettes.

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

TurboXray

Nice! Also, welcome to the darkside of assembly ;)

NecroPhile

Nice, man.  Good luck with whatever game you're ultimately looking to make.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

tonma

Quote from: TurboXray on 01/25/2016, 11:12 AMNice! Also, welcome to the darkside of assembly ;)
Thanks to all, I continue my journey of the "côté obscure" of assembly  :mrgreen:
I'm just a padawan.

Gredler

Great examples, welcome and good luck! This is rad, another programmer!!

tonma

New tests on the shoot  :mrgreen: not much time these days.

Adding enemies and collision test.
IMG

TurboXray

Let us know which method you use for bounding box checks.

tonma

Quote from: TurboXray on 05/20/2016, 03:24 AMLet us know which method you use for bounding box checks.
A simple one. Center point of bullet inside the player/enemies sprite bounding box.
I don't know if this method have a name !