@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

PC Engine vs. Turbo Grafx-16

Started by Tatsujin, 06/27/2006, 04:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PCE or TG-16

PC Engine?
24 (70.6%)
TurboGrafx 16?
10 (29.4%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: 06/27/2006, 04:26 AM

Tatsujin

Which system you like more to play on or collect it? the Japanese or US release (with all its mutations and addons etc)?
since i discovered that the TG-16 forum almost reached twice the amount of posts and topics than the PCE forum, may be an interessting question  :wink:

comments are welcome all the time as well  :wink:

(sorry, thought that this would fit best in the general console section, since it handles about both of the systems  :) ).
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

TR0N

PCE i like it's design more plus it's compact.

Only thing i'll credit for on the, TG16 that it was durable nothing more.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

jlued686

I collect TG-16 games, though I like the look and feel of the PC Engine better.  I speak 0 Japanese and grew up with the TG-16, so that's just how it goes for me.

rolins

My vote goes to PCE. I think it was in '98 when I first picked up my coregrafx II and started collecting. I never owned a TG16 back in day because my neighbor already had one, and would come over to play Blazing Lazers and Legendary Axe.

The TG16 games is just too expensive for me. I do own a few of them just so I could play them on my TE, but I prefer to buy the japanese counterparts just to keep my collection consistant. Plus, the artwork completely destorys the american covers.

cavein2000

I'm going with the Turbo.  I own both the TG16 and a Supergrafx/PCE with Super CD Rom2.  I am really building my Turbo collection right now, but am excited about getting into some titles for the PCE too.  As far as the games go, I haven't fully explored the PCE titles but I'm always looking.  My vote might be different six months down the road though.
What a horrible night to have a curse...

Ninja Spirit

PCE all the way, so much we were deprived of.

Digi.k

yup PCE.. its just too cute !! :oops:

esteban

I can't vote, because they are inseperable for me.

I am hardcore TG-16 / TG-CD fan, since that's the console I had back in the day. I think the North American releases are something to treasure.

But the TG-16 had a severely limited library and as a result you could never stop there.

So even back in the day, I was enthralled with the PCE universe (though my experience was limited to a handful of imports).

The breadth of the PCE universe is amazing and still holds my interest  because there are so many games I have yet to play (and so much PCE history I don't know about).

My love for TG-16 and PCE is intertwined. I like to get both the  US and JP versions of the same titles...

But nowadays, I spend most of my time with the PCE, since I've been spending a lot of time with Japanese HuCards.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

OldRover

Quote from: "jlued686"I collect TG-16 games, though I like the look and feel of the PC Engine better.  I speak 0 Japanese and grew up with the TG-16, so that's just how it goes for me.
Gotta agree with this one all the way. I prefer the TG16 personally, although I think that both names are really kinda stupid. :D
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

PC Gaijin

I voted Turbografx-16. It was my first "next-gen" system (really, the first time I was somewhat aware of the goings on in the vid game industry), the first system I imported games for, etc. Too many fine memories tied up in the system and that particular time in my life. However, I acquired most of my Turbo collection "back in the day" when it was more readily available and (in some cases) much cheaper. If I were starting out now, I'd probably go with the PC Engine. I always was disappointed with the way the Turbo was changed in looks from the PCE, and the cover art on US releases was so horrible.

Ah hell, I think I agree with stevek666. I love 'em both. But I voted Turbo because it's the Rodney Dangerfield of consoles, no respect! :D

Ninja Spirit

Yeah I can understand that. I feel the same way toward my SuperNES, though it got shafted alot as the TG has, but it's just because I had it since childhood.

Keranu

I voted Turbo Grafx 16 and I wasn't even raised on the system and was into Japanese gaming when I first got into the TG16/PCE scene. So why TG16 for me? I simply love the American style of the Turbo's universe, whether it be advertising, hardware, artwork, etc...

I collect the American TG16 versions of games whenever I can, unless it's something really expensive and rare inwhich it's easier and cheaper to buy the Japanese version. I love looking through my TG16 game cases and manuals because it always gives me a good laugh and a great feeling of nostalgia even though I never experienced the system as a kid.

The Japanese side of things might look more "sleek", but for what it's worth, I like the cheesy American side :) , it's just a lot more fun to me. I admit that the PCE+CDROM2 briefcase set up is probably the coolest system design ever made, but it's just a lot of fun for me to see how the American version turned out and how 80's it was. However on a serious note, I think the Turbo Duo looks a lot cooler than the PCE Duo even though the differences are just a few.

And to top everything off, playing in English is nice :) . So for me, Turbo Grafx 16 all the way  8) .
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Digi.k

this is the problem.... I would love to support the TG but I hate the look... and most of the games I really love playing are japan only.... (its the same problem with the saturn although thankfully the western look wasn't drastically changed)

how can you resist its charms..??
IMG

I'm really hoping when WII comes out hudson will translate their HuCARD games like momotaro peach boy and ready for download because I think these 'oriental/japanese' characters and stories are more accepted by westerners now..

PCEngineHell

As far as looks go.PC Engine,or Coregrafx,then TG16 deck. I hate the look of the Duo(US or JP) and esp hate the look of the Duo-R/RX.

Gameplay wise,Pc-Engine. I have no qualms about playing a japanese release of a game versus a US release,and I hated about all the US releases artwork on the packaging.

takashirose

You don't like the Duo design?  I think it's one of the best in the industry.
Let the old mix with the new.

SignOfZeta

This is kind of a wierd queston, IMO. They are the same console with with only differences being:

1) Terrible orginal TG-16 design. Huge, black, and awkward. The stupid flimsy shell thing covering the expansion bus will not stay on the back, and adding the CD just makes a huge t-shaped thing. The same can be said for the Supergrafx w/ Super CD combo I guess, but considering that set-up is way more capible, and virtually nobody has it, I forgive it. The Turbo is litterally twice as big as a PCE just because they thought (probably correctly at the time) that Americans like stuff that is big for no other reason that it being big. Considering the subsequent popularity of SUVs, I'd have to say maybe they were onto something, but that shit doesn't appeal to me.

2) Pathetically small selection of games that are more expensive, and have super crap covers.

3) Virtually everything for TG-16 is harder to find than PCE.

I don't see the appeal of the US stuff now that things have changed so much. Sure, I had a US Duo back in 1992, but that was when the JP systems were $400-500, even the crap games were $60-100. SFII was $120. The Arcade Card was $130. Now you can get tons of PCE stuff for very very little cash.

I think the TG-16 is just for people that like spending more money, and getting less. The TG-16 only has a two button pad, and Fighting Street is (I think) the only fighting game for it. There is no Arcade Card, no Strider, no Sapphire, no Ys IV, no Dracula X, no Bomberman '94, no Fray, no Macross. Most of the shooters are Japan only too. Bazaar de Gozaru...TG-16 people don't have Bazaar de Gozaru. So sad.

I have the US versions of the Duo pack-ins, as well as GoT, but that's about it. I'll take a $3 copy of Gunhead over a $15 copy of Blazing Lasers any day.
IMG

Seldane

Quote from: "SignOfZeta"Blazing Lasers

That's Blazing Lazers. The American games also have weird (and misspelled) titles.  :roll:
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

Odonadon

Quote from: "Ninja Spirit"PCE all the way, so much we were deprived of.

Amen to that.  When I first had my TG16 I wasn't terribly impressed.  I thought the library of games blew goats, and it wasn't until the CD-ROM came out that I becaome a huge fan.  I became a fan of Hu's once again when I discovered the awesome library of Japanese games that never did get ported.

There used to be an import store in town (funnily enough, the store was called SuperGrafx), and me and a friend used to go down once a week or so and check out the PC Engine and SuperGrafx.  I've always thought the PC Engine/Core units were far more stylish than the ugly bulky TG16.  I especially remember when the Knight Rider game first made it's appearance at SuperGrafx :)  "KITT's speaking Japanese, I need this game!" :)

Anyway, PC Engine all the way.  The TG16 still embarasses me a little :)

OD

CrackTiger

Quote from: "Seldane"

That's Blazing Lazers. The American games also have weird (and misspelled) titles.  :roll:

You mean like "Snatcher CD-ROMantic", "Virtua Racing/Fighter", "Faussete Amour", "GunHed" or "Hi-Leg Fantasy"?
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Seldane

Quote from: "CrackTiger"

You mean like "Snatcher CD-ROMantic", "Virtua Racing/Fighter", "Faussete Amour", "GunHed" or "Hi-Leg Fantasy"?

Yeah, kind of like that. Except those titles weren't officially released in North America - An English-speaking continent. :)
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

Tatsujin

Quote from: "takashirose"You don't like the Duo design?  I think it's one of the best in the industry.
yes, and even won the 7th place in best design of home entertainment stuff back in '92 or so!

i just love the DUO. one of the finest looking consoles ever made!
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Tatsujin

Quote from: "SignOfZeta"I have the US versions of the Duo pack-ins, as well as GoT, but that's about it. I'll take a $3 copy of Gunhead over a $15 copy of Blazing Lasers any day.

and that one is Gunhed :wink:

esteban

GunHed !!!!

Quote from: "SignOfZeta"This is kind of a wierd queston, IMO. They are the same console with with only differences being:

1) Terrible orginal TG-16 design. Huge, black, and awkward. The stupid flimsy shell thing covering the expansion bus will not stay on the back, and adding the CD just makes a huge t-shaped thing. The same can be said for the Supergrafx w/ Super CD combo I guess, but considering that set-up is way more capible, and virtually nobody has it, I forgive it. The Turbo is litterally twice as big as a PCE just because they thought (probably correctly at the time) that Americans like stuff that is big for no other reason that it being big. Considering the subsequent popularity of SUVs, I'd have to say maybe they were onto something, but that shit doesn't appeal to me.

2) Pathetically small selection of games that are more expensive, and have super crap covers.

3) Virtually everything for TG-16 is harder to find than PCE.

I don't see the appeal of the US stuff now that things have changed so much. Sure, I had a US Duo back in 1992, but that was when the JP systems were $400-500, even the crap games were $60-100. SFII was $120. The Arcade Card was $130. Now you can get tons of PCE stuff for very very little cash.

I think the TG-16 is just for people that like spending more money, and getting less. The TG-16 only has a two button pad, and Fighting Street is (I think) the only fighting game for it. There is no Arcade Card, no Strider, no Sapphire, no Ys IV, no Dracula X, no Bomberman '94, no Fray, no Macross. Most of the shooters are Japan only too. Bazaar de Gozaru...TG-16 people don't have Bazaar de Gozaru. So sad.

I have the US versions of the Duo pack-ins, as well as GoT, but that's about it. I'll take a $3 copy of Gunhead over a $15 copy of Blazing Lasers any day.
You're crazy! The TG-16 console has great aesthetics (compared to the hideous, goofy Genesis/MegaDrive and the ugly, awkward SNES). Sure, TG-16 was wide, but it was still slim with a low-profile (the cover on the bus stays snugly in place for me). I think TG-16 (sans logo) would look contemporary alongside today's electronics. Can you say this of any other console? Now, the TurboBooster (Plus) doubled the depth of the console and consequently stripped away the elgance of the core TG-16 design, but, on the other hand, I always liked the aesthetics of the TG-16 + TG-CD combo. It's quirky, but it is actually a lot cleaner (aesthetically) and more streamlined than the PCE suitcase combo, IMO. Sure, this might not be saying much (since the suitcase looks as if it was "slapped together"), but I offer TG-CD as evidence of the neat, uniquely North Amercian aesthetic that too few folks appreciate. The Genesis stacked atop a Sega-CD forms a big ugly brick... tell me, is the TG-CD really so bad?

For comparison: In my humble opinion, the NES had a great utilitarian design and the SMS was the most "futuristic-looking" console design of the 80's (not a bad thing, in my book, since I dig the odd angles and sharp corners and shiny surfaces of the SMS).

On North Amercian artwork: Well, I've beaten this dead horse one too many times, but there is a kitchsy appeal to the NA coverart. I don't think it was wise for NEC in terms of marketing (back in the day, I thought the artwork was unforgiveably lame and really hurt the image of the TG-16). Now, however, after all these years, I really do enjoy the art because, again, it was unique.

Clearly, my feelings have changed over the years: whereas once I wanted re-cycled Japanese covers, now I realize the GIFT that NEC bestowed upon us :).
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Keranu

God, Steve is the greatest when it comes to praising the American TG16 and that's one of the reasons why I e-love him :D . USA Turbo Grafx 16 4EVAR!!!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

Keranu

I'd also like to mention how much more I like the American style instruction manuals as well, most especially how it lists "Have you played these other Turbo Grafx 16 Titles?" on the back; I have a lot of fun reading that and picking out which games I own and don't own. :)
IMG

VestCunt

It seems like I'm always drawn to obscure, discontinued systems and I like the TG16 more because the selection of games is smaller.  I like a universe of titles that I can wrap my head around.  I like being able to collect all of the RPGs without making an insane effort.  I like only having a handful of racing games to choose from.  I don't like the feeling that I could buy games forever and barely make a dent in what's out there.  With a small library of games like the Turbo has, the "bad" games become quirky little gems.  I can rip on Deep Blue and Fighting Street and still appreciate having those games in my collection.  Compare this with the SNES which had hoards of games.  I don't even know where to start.  The SNES had so much 3rd party support that once you get away from the mainstream, well-known titles there are piles of worthless, terrible games lying around every thrift store.

The PCE is a great system and most of my reasons for liking the TG16 are pretty superficial.  I think the American products had a more consistent style.  Everything stayed black and pretty slim.  No grey and white systems or blue controllers.

The PCE also had tons of lame puzzle, comic-adventure, mahjong and simulation games that don't make any sense to me.

Anyway, it's getting late and I don't really know what I'm talking about.
Topic Adjourned.

Keranu

I agree a lot with your post. The TG16 is proof that you don't need a huge library of games to make a great console.
IMG

GUTS

It helps that most of the Turbo CDs that came out over here were really good games, it gives the Turbo a sort of quality appeal as opposed to say SNES or Genesis where there was a shitload of total crap games to go along with all the awesome ones.  

Back in the early 90s I had all 3 systems hooked up and I remember always thinking how quality the Turbo library was compared to all the shit that got released for the other two, I don't think I ever put 2 and 2 together and realized it was because the Turbo only had 1/5 the games the other two systems did.

Keranu

I never really thought about that before, but that's a good point. I could see a Turbo nerd back in the day using that to his advantage by comparing a Turbo game to some random licensed crap game for the other two systems.
IMG

Kaminari

PCE because that's what we got in Europe -- at least on this side of the Channel :)

Keranu

IMG

Shadow

PCE 4ever... nothing else. Grew up with it, played with it, collected it, sold it.... and now restart collecting ;-)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!

www.lightspeed.ch
Fun, Games 'n Friends

Tatsujin

and so it is, and it never will change! :wink:

Joe Redifer

Quote from: "SignofZeta"The Turbo is litterally twice as big as a PCE just because they thought (probably correctly at the time) that Americans like stuff that is big for no other reason that it being big.
The official NEC reason for making it bigger was to comply with FCC rules of the day regarding RF interference.  My mind is still boggled about why this would be an issue to anyone anywhere.  Crazy FCC.

The PC Engine is definitely better looking, just as long as you don't hook up anything to it other than a controller and a game card.  Want to hook it to a TV?  Well then you need a cable awkwardly protruding from the SIDE of the system (of course the Turbo also suffered from this).  Want to step up to the sky-high quality of composite video?  Slap a GIANT AV booster on the ass of the machine (do composite video, stereo audio, and a battery save really require that much extra space?) and suddenly it doesn't look so cute any more.  The TG-16 booster looks better.  Want a CD-ROM drive?  That suitcase thing for the PC Engine is freakin' UGLY!  And fairly large in every direction, it seems.  The TG-16 attached to the CD-ROM drive (which can hold over 4,000 megabits!!!!) looks odd, but it still does look more aesthetically pleasing and, well, less "sloppy".  I don't know about it being better looking that the Genesis 1 atop the Sega CD 1, though.  That setup looked pretty cool.  The Sega CD 2, on the other hand, looked like ass no matter what it was attached to.

I have spoken.  And so it is written.  errr... yeah.

Keranu

PCE briefcase looks awesome, don't be a hater :P .
IMG

Tatsujin

Quote from: "Keranu"PCE briefcase looks awesome, don't be a hater :P .
abolutely aight! how he just can say?? :wink:
it's one of the most best great nice cute and so on looking systems in the entire universe of video games! :D

i mean, even the pce-cdrom-ifu30 combo wasn't that much bigger than the trubografx itself. and with the asymetric attached cd-rom in the backyard of the turbografx, you got an ugly space wasting sculpture directly from hell! sorry guys, also won't be a hater as well :wink:

Joe Redifer

Why you all hatin' on the Turbo CD?

Don't be hatin'!!!!!

Stop the hate.  For the sake of peace.

Keranu

Oh hell no I don't be hatin' the Turbo CD, I love that equally as much as the PCE CD! Steve's previous post gives reason why :D . It may look tacky, but I love that! Plus for back then, it looked pretty futuristic! It's almost as if you could time travel with it.
IMG

Tatsujin

Quote from: "Keranu"It's almost as if you could time travel with it.
the flux capacitor add-on for the us turbo only. ooh, how i wish that one :D

Keranu

Haha, flux capacitor. 1.21 GIGAWATTS!
IMG

Tatsujin

Quote from: Keranu1.21 GIGAWATTS!
also no probs there, with this kind of grinder aka

IMG

:wink:

SignOfZeta

Quote from: "Joe Redifer"Want a CD-ROM drive?  That suitcase thing for the PC Engine is freakin' UGLY!  And fairly large in every direction, it seems.  The TG-16 attached to the CD-ROM drive (which can hold over 4,000 megabits!!!!) looks odd, but it still does look more aesthetically pleasing and, well, less "sloppy".

I'm sure if I live to be a million years old you will still be the only person I've ever heard say that.

I think the PCE+CD combo is second only to the original WonderMega in aesthetics. I totally love it.

Additionally, although I don't have the measurements, I don't think its any larger, and in fact might be smaller, than the fugly-ass T-shaped TG-16+CD thing.
IMG

Keranu

Right on, Zeta. For a good size of the PCE+CDROM2, I just compared it to my model 1 Genesis and they are almost exactly the same size: width, length, and even height. Same goes with the Turbo Duo compared to it, except the Turbo Duo is shorter in height.
IMG

Joe Redifer

Wow, it sounds like I've really hurt some feelings, here!  I hope I haven't caused too many emotional scars.  The briefcase part of it looks sloppy.  I imagine this isn't true when it is in briefcase mode (ie: with the top on), but with the top off it looks like a thin piece of plastic.  There are areas that should be filled in, but they look hollow.  Pictures may be deceiving about the size.  Hardly anyone takes pictures of PC Engine stuff.  Just yesterday I saw my first picture EVER of the back of the PCE and the little red cover.  The TurboDuo is larger than a Genesis 1.

But we need to get to the real issue here:  NEC's reason for enlarging the TurboGrafx.

Tatsujin

Joe Redifer

I certainly don't want to use the word "sleek" to describe either of them, but the PCE thing looks like something some random person crafted and put together.  At least the TG-CD looks like it was meant to be together.  I think that's pretty much my whole point on the issue.

Shadow

[-X

BS, the Turbo sucks dicks in hell man.... don't argue about the design here... the pce was and still is a jewel in the videogame design heaven....

the turbo had a fair success in the US and thats it... look at the cover designs compared to the japanese ones... they suck, ... wait, they are actually so damn FUGLY that I gave away my US Versions for free, because I did not want to have that kind of design crap on my shelves... sorry....
www.pcedaisakusen.net

www.lightspeed.ch
Fun, Games 'n Friends

Shadow

IMG

I even prefer this over any available console system today...
www.pcedaisakusen.net

www.lightspeed.ch
Fun, Games 'n Friends

SignOfZeta

Quote from: "Joe Redifer"The briefcase part of it looks sloppy.  I imagine this isn't true when it is in briefcase mode (ie: with the top on), but with the top off it looks like a thin piece of plastic.  There are areas that should be filled in, but they look hollow.  Pictures may be deceiving about the size.  Hardly anyone takes pictures of PC Engine stuff.

Man, you need to see one in person. The PCE+CD is so amazingly well put together. Its nearly military grade in its toughness. The PCE plugs into the interface like the worlds most well made cartridge, and the PCE itself is the most creak-free system I've ever seen. Its a tank.

When it comes to heft, rigidity, and all out achievement, the PCE is the tops, and it way more tough and rugged than, say, a Duo. That goes double for the Duo R. Meanwhile, at the bottom of the range we have the TG-16. The unit itself isn't bad (I guess), but then there is that huge plastic shell thing on the back that will NOT stay on because its a total POS. My brother was going to buy a Turbo Booster Plus just so it would hopefully stay on, instead of falling off every time someone nudged the system like that dumb-ass jai lai scoop, or whatever the fuck it is.

On one hand I'm a huge fan on Japanese 80's industrial design (Walkman, calculator watches, ghetto blasters, Casio keyboards, etc) and the white plastic that dominated that period, but even if I wasn't I'd have to give it to the PCE+CD combo. Its like some away team equipment for the crew of the Macross. Its so serious looking! You'd think it was a defibrillator, or some sort of NASA test equipment if you didn't know that its actually just a really expensive games machine.
IMG

Keranu

I always thought the PCE+CDROM2 looked kinda neat before I saw one in person, but the first time I saw one in person at a gaming exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, it was like a totally different experience. Up close it looks really fascinating and if you observe the casing for awhile, you can see how well crafted it is by having the two systems fit in nicely next to each other while carving the plastic to expose the ports nicely. And to top things off, you can simply put over the briefcase part to cover it or carry it around, very sleek and handy.

So eventually last year in late July, I bought one for myself and have loved it ever since. One time I even walked down the street to my cousin's house with it (in briefcase mode, of course ;) ) and my cousin, being the hardcore Sega fan he is and constantly likes to poke fun at the Turbo, was even greatly impressed by the PCE+CDROM2 design. :)
IMG