@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

COLA WARS

Started by guyjin, 04/06/2009, 12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is the best cola?

Coke
22 (40%)
Pepsi
11 (20%)
Dr. pepper
9 (16.4%)
RC
7 (12.7%)
some other crap nobody's heard of
6 (10.9%)

Total Members Voted: 52

guyjin

WHICH COLA IS THE BEST? WHY ARE THE DRINKERS OF OTHER COLAS CHILD MOLESTING, CRAP EATING SCUM? THIS IS SRS BZNS!  :evil:

NecroPhile

I would've voted for Dr. Pepper, but I don't consider its tasty 23 flavors to be a cola.  Instead I voted "some other crap everybody's heard of but I'm too lame to list" - Jolt Cola for the mother fucking win with all the sugar and twice the caffeine.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Joe Redifer

Hell, RC is still around??

Sparky

Canadians drink coke  8) but we spell it with a "U" couke

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: guest on 04/06/2009, 01:50 PMCanadians drink coke  8) but we spell it with a "U" couke
haha  :mrgreen:

I actually prefer Pepsi, but I certainly won't turn my nose up at Coke....er....Couke. Like NecroPhile said, I would have picked Dr. Pepper, but it's a unique thing onto itself. Now, Brio is my favourite cola. Brio is actually my favourite brand of soda/pop. Their orange flavour is awesome. Doesn't have fake orange colouring to make sure people know it's actually orange flavoured. Mix orange Brio with some Pimms and you're laughin.

I've actually cut down a lot on my pop intake, Brio orange and Pimms is a tradition for my Tuesday night band rehearsals.  :mrgreen:
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

guyjin

What are these 'pimms' you speak of?

Also, Dr. Pepper is too a cola! anyone who says otherwise is a damn homosexual communist!

Ceti Alpha

PIMM'S

http://www2.anyoneforpimms.com/home.htm?me=lswr2r45f4t23v45oasxzcru

Here's an article I just received in my work email from "The Monday Motivator" talking about neuromarketing, using the Pepsi vs Coke as an example.

I'm just copying and pasting the article:

QuoteThis week Chris Powell shows us how applying a few simple principles from the emerging science of neuromarketing, could help you sell more — way more.

Have you ever wondered why consumers prefer the brands they do? Consider the perennial paradox of Pepsi versus Coke. Even though Pepsi continually trumps its arch-rival in blind taste tests (recall the long-running "Pepsi Challenge" ad campaign), Coke outsells Pepsi by a significant margin. Does Coke know something that Pepsi and the rest of us don't?

In 2003, Read Montague, a neuroscientist at the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, set out to find the answer by recreating the Pepsi Challenge while monitoring the brain activity of a group of test subjects with an MRI machine. About half his subjects preferred Pepsi in blind taste tests, and it produced a stronger response than Coke did in the part of the brain thought to process rewards. Yet, when the subjects were told which beverage they were sampling, the preference for Coke rose substantially, and the brain regions governing high-level cognitive thinking became more active.

Montague ascribed the effect to how strongly Coke's brand resonates in the culture and the warm and fuzzy associations established by its marketing (think: polar-bear cubs and Santa Claus). Marketers who soon picked up on his study, and subsequent research, developed a new tool called neuromarketing, designed to help them understand and influence customers' buying decisions.

Doing your own research is out of reach for entrepreneurial firms that can't afford to rent $2-million MRI machines and lab facilities. Still, firms of any size can easily adopt the principles behind the science. "Often, surprisingly simple studies can yield important insights," says Roger Dooley, author of the neuromarketing blog neurosciencemarketing.com.

Patrick Renvoisé, president of San Francisco-based neuromarketing firm Sales-Brain, says three parts of the brain are involved in decision-making. The new brain is responsible for rational thought, the middle brain for gut feeling and the old brain for basic survival functions. But it's the old brain that has the final say, and is therefore the focus of neuromarketing.

Renvoisé and other neuromarketers agree that the old brain responds best to six key stimuli. The key to successful marketing, therefore, is to take into account these attributes of the old brain:

IT CRAVES CONTRAST: Apple's popular "I'm a Mac. And I'm a PC" campaign plays off the idea that people won't always buy a product until they have something to which they can compare it. However, not all choices are created equally. When researchers at the University of Minnesota's Carlson School of Management gave people a choice between two equally preferred options, subjects became irritated over the difficulty of choosing—which increases the risk that the customer will make no decision. Introducing a third but clearly worse option made choosing easier, even pleasurable.

IT PREFERS TANGIBLE BENEFITS: The old brain is far more responsive to tangible attributes of a product (e.g., "toilet paper that feels like cashmere") than abstract characteristics (e.g., "toilet paper that will bring you eternal happiness").

IT PREFERS THE VISUAL: Using pictures in, say, product demonstrations could be your fast track to reaching customers since the old brain processes visuals before anything else. And if you can deliver your core marketing message through images (think: Nike's swoosh), just do it.

IT REMEMBERS BEGINNINGS AND ENDINGS: Customers will use their first experience with your firm to filter what follows. So, they'll see everything that follows a bad first impression through a negative lens. And they'll leave with, and hold onto, the last impression, whether it was a bad customer service experience or a complimentary mint.

IT'S EMOTIONAL: The best way to trigger an emotional response in the old brain is through sensory stimuli such as the smell of a certain perfume, the sound of a song from adolescence or the view of a familiar mountain range. "We make decisions based on our emotions first, and then we invent the rational reasons for our choice, like 'This beer tastes better' or 'That sports car gets great mileage,'" says Dooley. The more senses you can associate with your product or service, the more you are likely to drive buying decisions.

IT LOVES GAIN, HATES PAIN: As is fitting for an organ that has been on the evolutionary timeline for several million years, the old brain is constantly calculating the net gain or pain that will accrue from every decision. But Dooley says putting your product on the right side of the pain/gain equation often comes down to positioning. For instance, changing your service's "$5 fee" to "a small $5 fee" can make a big difference in sales.

Ultimately, triggering the right response in the old brain before your competitors do could launch you light-years ahead of them. That's because whoever triggers a reaction first tends to maintain consumer loyalty.

So, perhaps Coke didn't know anything different than Pepsi after all. It just got there first.
IMG

rag-time4

There aren't any kosher brands listed on the poll!

THUMBS DOWN GUYJIN!!

guyjin

Quote from: rag-time4 on 04/06/2009, 03:25 PMThere aren't any kosher brands listed on the poll!

THUMBS DOWN GUYJIN!!
Fuck kosher. I like to drizzle a little bacon juice in my Doctor Pepper before I drink it.

rag-time4

Quote from: guyjin on 04/06/2009, 03:29 PM
Quote from: rag-time4 on 04/06/2009, 03:25 PMThere aren't any kosher brands listed on the poll!

THUMBS DOWN GUYJIN!!
Fuck kosher.
Anti-Semitism!!

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: rag-time4 on 04/06/2009, 03:35 PM
Quote from: guyjin on 04/06/2009, 03:29 PM

THUMBS DOWN GUYJIN!!
Fuck kosher.
Anti-Semitism!!
Haha!! No anti-semitism on Fighting Street!! You can make fun of everyone else though.
IMG

NecroPhile

THUMBS DOWN GUYJIN!!
Whiny, ignorant douche!  Passover Coke is made and sold in the US every year with sugar instead of Satan's corn syrup, not to mention all the Coke produced in Mexico and imported to the US.  :P

Keranu

This is too similar to the soda thread now!

I believe Dr. Pepper from the original Dr. Pepper plant is kosher since it's made with pure cane sugar.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Turbo D

It's all about teh Pepsi doodes! 8)
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

guyjin

pepsi is shit. it tastes like toilet bowl cleaner smells. not exaggerating.

Quote from: rag-time4Anti-Semitism!!
This is fighting street. I can say that Hitler was an incompetent, and if I'd been in charge there wouldn't be a Jew left on earth. and get away with it.

NecroPhile

Quote from: guyjin on 04/06/2009, 05:46 PMpepsi is shit. it tastes like toilet bowl cleaner smells. not exaggerating.
Why would you clean your toilet with something that smells like shit?  :-k

CrackTiger

When RC Cola was on its last legs some asshole bought the formula and/or company for nothing, planning to run it into the ground to make a quick buck (and possibly funnel other debt through). He sold the formula to every no-name brand that would buy it, but his plan back fired (sorta). The no-name colas became so widely popular that the overall business became sustainably profitable again and it's remained (afaik) the number one secret cola flavor ever since.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Joe Redifer

I used to be a big Pepsi fan in my youth, but I gradually switched to Coke as Pepsi just seemed too sweet to me.  Now it is Coke or nuthin'... unless the establishment only serves Pepsi then I will take it.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/06/2009, 07:47 PMI used to be a big Pepsi fan in my youth, but I gradually switched to Coke as Pepsi just seemed too sweet to me.  Now it is Coke or nuthin'... unless the establishment only serves Pepsi then I will take it.
Now you must make the final move to Brio. Odd though. Brio cola is quite bitter, but I prefer Pepsi over Coke.  :-k
IMG

CrackTiger

I prefer good Coke to regular Pepsi, which is either glass bottle or when the planets align to allow a properly mixed fountain dispenser. More often than not plastic bottle Coke turns bitter and/or acidic, so when I do occasionally decide to buy a bottle, I usually go for Pepsi just because it's a safer bet.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: guest on 04/06/2009, 07:59 PMI prefer good Coke to regular Pepsi, which is either glass bottle or when the planets align to allow a properly mixed fountain dispenser. More often than not plastic bottle Coke turns bitter and/or acidic, so when I do occasionally decide to buy a bottle, I usually go for Pepsi just because it's a safer bet.
Isn't it amazing how much of a difference it makes what you're drinking out of?
IMG

guyjin

Quote from: guest on 04/06/2009, 07:59 PMI prefer good Coke to regular Pepsi,
I, for one, prefer good cock to regular Pepsi.

Joe Redifer

I've noticed that McDonald's seems to have the best Coke.  I don't know if they get extra-special BIBs (bag in a box) or what the deal is, but for some reason it tastes better there than it does at most other places, and certainly better than out of a can.

SuperDeadite

RC for the win!  8)
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

termis

I buy generic because they all taste similar enough.  People have done tests on whether consumers can tell them apart in blind taste tests, and sure enough, vast majority of people can't.

Quote from: guyjin on 04/06/2009, 08:30 PMI, for one, prefer good cock to regular Pepsi.
Hey, whatever floats your boat.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/06/2009, 08:38 PMI've noticed that McDonald's seems to have the best Coke.  I don't know if they get extra-special BIBs (bag in a box) or what the deal is, but for some reason it tastes better there than it does at most other places, and certainly better than out of a can.
I know that McDonalds takes their water filtration seriously, at least up here.

Turbo D

Quote from: guest on 04/06/2009, 05:52 PM
Quote from: guyjin on 04/06/2009, 05:46 PMpepsi is shit. it tastes like toilet bowl cleaner smells. not exaggerating.
Why would you clean your toilet with something that smells like shit?  :-k
:lol:

http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-a-Toilet-With-Coke
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Zeon

Coke = Dr. Pepper = Pepsi = RC Cola = Mr. Pibb = any other dark "cola" type drink.

Seriously I never understood how people prefer X cola to Y cola. They all mostly taste the same to me with only slight variances. I really don't get how people can be like "Coke is the shit" and "Pepsi is nasty, that stuff IS shit" They just don't taste different enough to warrant such a reaction

Besides, compared to other types of soda, colas are shit. We all know the holy three are Root Beer, Cream Soda, and Ginger Ale!  :roll:

All naysayers are full of shitty shit and possibly brainwashed by whichever brand of shitty shitaticular cola they seem to be loyal to for who knows what shit-ridden reason. [-(

nectarsis

Yet more proof of zeons COMPLETE lack of tastebuds ;)
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

Zeon

Quote from: nectarsis on 04/07/2009, 12:53 AMYet more proof of zeons COMPLETE lack of tastebuds ;)
It's not that I can't taste the difference, it's just that one doesn't necessarily taste better than the other. They are all different tasting piles of meh.

Turbo D

Koopa-Kola Classik...the Kola that's still made with real coal! No wonder its a klassic! (Now available in regular and extra fat formula!)
IMG IMG
IMG

Tatsujin

i can't vote for neither of these liquid shits.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

NecroPhile

Quote from: termis on 04/06/2009, 09:01 PMI buy generic because they all taste similar enough.
Same here.  I don't really prefer the taste of any one cola over another.

Sinistron

All of this stuff is crap.  I try not to drink much of it- but out of sheer habit- when I do need a cola to wash down a hamburger or a slice of pizza I always ask for a Coke.
IMG
Quote from: Tatsujin- ATM it's just amateurish boytoy shizzle.
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

Joe Redifer

What do you like to drink, Zeon?  V8?  Castor Oil?

Zeon

Quote from: Zeon on 04/07/2009, 12:45 AMBesides, compared to other types of soda, colas are shit. We all know the holy three are Root Beer, Cream Soda, and Ginger Ale!  :roll:
It appears as though that you don't read my entire posts Joe. :P

I can understand on some of the long ones, but like 7 sentences? I even spaced it out into nice bite sized chunks. I'm sorry I don't leave my posts to one short comment most of the time, I like to elaborate and provide some reasons and basis for my opinions.

I don't even drink soda that often, as it's not very good for you. I DO love milk though, of the skim variety preferably. I can go through gallons of milk in no time. Apple juice is king of juices, though just about any other fruit juice/cocktail aside from orange juice is good. Of course good clean water, if not full of lead or other pollution, is good stuff. Strangely enough, I often prefer tap water to filtered water, often filtered water tastes....off. If I am in the mood for something with some sort of flavor, I will just make some kool-aid or similar. When I am in the mood hot cocoa is good stuff.

esteban

Diet Coke, you friggin' bastard of a poll.

I hate regular Coke. Diet Coke is where it's at.

Ginger ale is my favorite soda, though.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Zeon

Quote from: esteban on 04/07/2009, 09:37 PMDiet Coke, you friggin' bastard of a poll.

Oh god  :-&

You poor misguided soul. Not only are diet colas and sodas clearly inferior sodas, but they should not exist. Whatever the hell that artificial sweetener they put in them CANNOT be good for you.

Seriously, anything that has me vomiting up foam for the rest of the day every time i drink it cannot be healthy, at all. Not to mention that it has no flavor and tastes distinctly of empty. I don't know how they managed a soda that tastes like empty, but lo and behold they did it!

guyjin

Quote from: Zeon on 04/07/2009, 09:46 PMWhatever the hell that artificial sweetener they put in them CANNOT be good for you.
DNA isn't good for you? 'cuz that's what phenylalanine is - a component of DNA. it happens to be tasty.

Zeon

Quote from: guyjin on 04/07/2009, 10:00 PM
Quote from: Zeon on 04/07/2009, 09:46 PMWhatever the hell that artificial sweetener they put in them CANNOT be good for you.
DNA isn't good for you? 'cuz that's what phenylalanine is - a component of DNA. it happens to be tasty.
Like you said phenylalanine is a COMPONENT of DNA and not the same thing, if you know anything about chemistry, you'll know that just because something is awesome does not mean the components would be awesome in the same application when separate. In fact the elements that compose compounds are DRASTICALLY different from the compound itself.

Take NaCl for example, awesome stuff is it not? Tasty on some food and necessary for many multi celled organisms to live right? Now take just one of the components, Cl or chlorine. Not so fun to ingest/inhale is it?

However, by your argument it would be most excellent to put into food, because a compound that is partially made from it is good, so it by itself must also be good. The same logic can also be applied to many other compounds. Hydrogen Chloride, or HCl, is great for the proper digestion of foods. I'm sure hydrogen and/or chlorine by themselves would be most awesome in your stomach. Why don't you try it out man? Inhale some chlorine and hydrogen, and tell me how awesome that is.  :roll:

esteban

Quote from: Zeon on 04/07/2009, 09:46 PM
Quote from: esteban on 04/07/2009, 09:37 PMDiet Coke, you friggin' bastard of a poll.

You poor misguided soul. Not only are diet colas and sodas clearly inferior sodas, but they should not exist. Whatever the hell that artificial sweetener they put in them CANNOT be good for you.

Seriously, anything that has me vomiting up foam for the rest of the day every time i drink it cannot be healthy, at all. Not to mention that it has no flavor and tastes distinctly of empty. I don't know how they managed a soda that tastes like empty, but lo and behold they did it!
Death by sugar vs. death by artificial stuff

I'll take option 2!

Zeon

Quote from: esteban on 04/07/2009, 10:25 PM
Quote from: Zeon on 04/07/2009, 09:46 PM

Death by sugar vs. death by artificial stuff

I'll take option 2!
You sir, are fucked in the head! [-(

esteban

Quote from: Zeon on 04/07/2009, 10:36 PMYou sir, are fucked in the head! [-(
Eloquently put.

Keranu

If you're going to die by any sugar, why take the one that tastes like battery acid and gives you a headache?
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Turbo D

If you're going to die by sugar, it might as well be the kind that you snort. :wink:
IMG IMG
IMG

Sinistron

I think that that Coke Zero trash tastes much better than Diet Coke.  I never understood these Diet Coke fanatics- it tastes like cold carbonated piss.
IMG
Quote from: Tatsujin- ATM it's just amateurish boytoy shizzle.
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: Sinistron on 04/08/2009, 09:36 AMI think that that Coke Zero trash tastes much better than Diet Coke.  I never understood these Diet Coke fanatics- it tastes like cold carbonated piss.
Yeah, Diet Coke honestly tastes like feet coated in vomit.
IMG

guyjin

cold, carbonated piss still tastes better than pepsi.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: guyjin on 04/08/2009, 03:19 PMcold, carbonated piss still tastes better than pepsi.
Is that a dare?
IMG

esteban

Quote from: Sinistron on 04/08/2009, 09:36 AMI think that that Coke Zero trash tastes much better than Diet Coke.  I never understood these Diet Coke fanatics- it tastes like cold carbonated piss.
I hate regular Coke, so I guess I prefer carbonated piss branded as a Coke product. ;)

IMG

By the way, in honor of this discussion, I just opened a can and took a swig of this delightful beverage.

My cell phone has crappy camera (and a scratch on the lens).

I guess I'm an "artificial sweetener aficionado", because I like Sweet-n-low (now that's a crazy, f'd up taste) in coffee every now and then (usually I have coffee black).