10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

[Solved] PC-Engine Duo No video mid cap replacment?

Started by that1crzywhtguy, 01/05/2017, 08:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

that1crzywhtguy

I'm sort of stumped here. I was replacing the capacitors, and when I hit a checkpoint, I get no video. Audio is coming through, so I know it's booting the game, but I get squat on the video. I tried to undo the last couple caps I removed just to see, and still nothing. I've got continuity (checked with multi meter) on the AV cable, I've got continuity from the cable to the port too. Past that, I'm unsure what and how I should check things. I bet it's something small and easily fixable, yeah? Maybe more like I pray it is. Thanks in advance for any help!

NecroPhile

I'm sure one of the smart repair guys will pop in soon, but the common answer for such issues is that there's an open via.  To help them help you, you should tell 'em what system you're trying to fix.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

that1crzywhtguy

Quote from: guest on 01/05/2017, 09:19 AMI'm sure one of the smart repair guys will pop in soon, but the common answer for such issues is that there's an open via.  To help them help you, you should tell 'em what system you're trying to fix.
Oh my goodness! I can't believe I forgot that. I was really tired by this point clearly! It's a region modded PC-Engine Duo. -facepalm-

that1crzywhtguy

Quote from: NecroPhile on 01/05/2017, 09:19 AMTo help them help you, you should tell 'em what system you're trying to fix.
Also edited my post. :)

that1crzywhtguy

Keith Courage

usually during a recap where the video is damaged, the problem is the traces for the 470uf capacitor which is right by the power switch. The contacts can be pulled out of the board on accident when removing the old cap. One must then run new wires to the caps leads to remedy the issue.

that1crzywhtguy

Quote from: Keith Courage on 01/09/2017, 02:43 PMusually during a recap where the video is damaged, the problem is the traces for the 470uf capacitor which is right by the power switch.
You're a genius!!! That was it!!! Hurray!