RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

TG16 CD unit memory "Recharge"

Started by NoSexGex, 08/05/2017, 12:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSexGex

Is this true?? I've never lost any game saves before, but I always have my CD unit plugged in. And there's definitely been 2 week intervals where I haven't "turned on" my console (like the manual says). I also remember reading in the TG16 CD's manual telling players not to leave the system constantly plugged in. But searching high and low online, I didn't find any stories / insight to support doing this.

IMG
For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!

ccovell

Yes, all the CD units use a "supercapacitor" for keeping the RAM chip of the backup RAM active.  They are slow to discharge (though don't know the hard specs of the ones in the CD units) and thus safe for weeks (months?) at a time.

crazydean

I knew they used a capacitor to maintain saves, but I thought the unit simply needed to be plugged in. Does it need to be turned on every couple weeks to maintain charge?

NoSexGex

I wonder if the supercapacitor's charge ever weakens, like batteries eventually do

Quote from: crazydean on 08/05/2017, 01:13 AMDoes it need to be turned on every couple weeks to maintain charge?
Would love to know the answer to this too
For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"

esteban

^ It *would* be nice to know if the supercapacitor needed to charge more frequently as it aged....

I don't know.

We have had prior discussions on this.... yes, you need to plug in the console to maintain the data files (BRAM)... but I don't think we had consensus on a specific "schedule" to follow.

Be prudent and do it more frequently than once a year—how does that sound?

Tennokoe Bank is nice for backing up data files...but you have to jump through hoops to use it with NA hardware.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

LostFlunky

I don't think I have ever lost a save on my TGCD and it was in the closet for most of the 2000-2010 years because the drive wasn't functioning. 

NoSexGex

Quote from: esteban on 08/05/2017, 07:06 AMTennokoe Bank is nice for backing up data files...but you have to jump through hoops to use it with NA hardware.

I've owned one of these for years, but never have had the need (yet) to use it. With that being said, I have zero idea how they work. Would be cool to save a high school on Devils Crush though, i'll have to look up how they operarate. PCE converter/mods obviously, but beyond that I haven't played with it much.

CrackTiger

Don't forget to format your Turbo CD before using it.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

bob

this whole thread makes no sense.
Everybody knows the save states are stored on the system card.

NoSexGex

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: NoSexGex on 08/05/2017, 04:33 PM
Quote from: esteban on 08/05/2017, 07:06 AMTennokoe Bank is nice for backing up data files...but you have to jump through hoops to use it with NA hardware.

I've owned one of these for years, but never have had the need (yet) to use it. With that being said, I have zero idea how they work. Would be cool to save a high school on Devils Crush though, i'll have to look up how they operarate. PCE converter/mods obviously, but beyond that I haven't played with it much.
That seems surprising to me, I always have issues with running out of save space.  RPG/Strategy games take up large % of the backup memory.  The Tennokoe Bank is a life saver for me.

There are at least a couple games that take up an entire bank's worth of memory to save. (Might and Magic III comes to mind)  Do we have a list of the games that take up an entire bank?
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

esteban

^ the old TurboList had a FAQ/document that listed lots of games and the amount of storage "blocks" (whatever unit was used) required.

Not sure if it was ever updated,but we could make that a project here.

GohanX

Quote from: esteban on 08/05/2017, 07:06 AM^ It *would* be nice to know if the supercapacitor needed to charge more frequently as it aged....
I think so, I've had some older CD units that wouldn't keep a save if they weren't turned on after like a week or two. Meanwhile, my recapped (including the super capacitor) Duo has held a save for months with no issue whatsoever.

xcrement5x

Yeah, the supercap is also a much better solution to me than the rechargeable coin cell that they use in the SegaCD.  I have been updating mine to use the supercap instead and it works great. 

esteban

Quote from: GohanX on 08/07/2017, 03:31 PM
Quote from: esteban on 08/05/2017, 07:06 AM^ It *would* be nice to know if the supercapacitor needed to charge more frequently as it aged....
I think so, I've had some older CD units that wouldn't keep a save if they weren't turned on after like a week or two. Meanwhile, my recapped (including the super capacitor) Duo has held a save for months with no issue whatsoever.
Ha! Good to know. ;)

Quote from: guest on 08/07/2017, 03:53 PMYeah, the supercap is also a much better solution to me than the rechargeable coin cell that they use in the SegaCD.  I have been updating mine to use the supercap instead and it works great. 
Interesting... how often do you think it needs to be "recharged" for maintenance?

xcrement5x

Quote from: guest on 08/07/2017, 03:53 PMYeah, the supercap is also a much better solution to me than the rechargeable coin cell that they use in the SegaCD.  I have been updating mine to use the supercap instead and it works great. 
Interesting... how often do you think it needs to be "recharged" for maintenance? [/quote]
The one I put in a PAC recently lasted at least 6 months without getting juice.  But the draw between the SegaCD and the Duo for the save RAM could be different.  Technically if you just got a bigger one you would have more time, assuming it got charged up. 

According to console5:
Quotehttps://console5.com/store/22f-5-5v-memory-backup-capacitor-for-nec-systems-super-capacitor.html
These .22F caps have quadruple the capacity of original NEC .047F parts.  They can replace the square-shaped Supercaps in Duo hardware as well. 
By capacity I believe he means the micro-Farad capacity, and hence how long it'll last before being totally drained.

Joe Redifer

My Turbo CD has gone for months unplugged without losing saves. In fact I don't recall it ever losing saves due to non-use. That supercapacitor is the shit. I don't know if you only need to plug it in or actually turn the system on, but if it's the latter you only need to turn it on for less than a second and the supercapacitor's topped off again. Love it!

SignOfZeta

I'm pretty sure you have to turn it on, and yeah, a full second will be more than enough.

I've lost my saves lots of times but it takes like a year or at least three or four months and by that time I'm obviously not going to remember WTF I was doing in the game anyway. I'm obviously balls-deep playing other PCE games on another PCE system.

While some people complain (almost always noobs) over time I've learned to appreciate the PCE save system more than any other. Batteries last longer but they also leak shit when they die. Flash is fucking crap, at least on old stuff. Passwords are maybe a close second since they are so easily backed up and transferred.
IMG

seieienbu

I went over a year and still had saves once.  I swear I can't turn my saturn on without the battery having died since the last time I played.  Stupid 30 minute lifespan saturn batteries.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

SignOfZeta

A Duracell will go a couple of years in a Saturn from my experience. Those brand-free ones from eBay that come in 1000 count blister rolls...amazingly they don't last as long.
IMG

Psycho Punch

Just solder in a 500 farad ultracap and you're good to go.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Psycho Punch on 08/09/2017, 09:45 PMJust solder in a 500 farad ultracap and you're good to go.
I don't think one would fit in the machine.
IMG

ClodBusted

Would a precharged JO crystal fit in place of the original cap?

I think my Dup held its saves for a few weeks, however, some of the more important ones (e.g. Ys I&II) are backed up on a Tennokoe bank card.

Regarding coin cell batteries: Big brand name batteries last longer than the cheap ten-packs. Since my better half uses a lot of CR 2032 cells for her cosplay lighting, I had the opportunity to try and compare a few brands. I had a cheap CR 2032 cell in my Sigma BC 5.12 bicycle computer, it did not even last two weeks. Compare this to a more expensive one that now last two years of daily use (display is active for showing time, even when not in use, but no backlight whatsoever available) and is still going strong.

Psycho Punch

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/10/2017, 02:18 AM
Quote from: Psycho Punch on 08/09/2017, 09:45 PMJust solder in a 500 farad ultracap and you're good to go.
I don't think one would fit in the machine.
Just put a hole in the PCE CD/DUO shell, people drill holes on them for all kinds of mods :P

I can think of very few games that would benefit from having a 1 month + untouched save except for highscore storage or super special post game unlocks (any game like that on the PC Engine?)... If you really need to keep the saves intact forever there's a simple solution: PLAY YOUR PCE
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

NecroPhile

Quote from: Psycho Punch on 08/10/2017, 03:49 PM... super special post game unlocks (any game like that on the PC Engine?)...
Force Gear and Twinbee Returns are unlockables in Tokimeki Memorial, and there's an unlockable Bomberman game in Mysterious Song.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

SoulflySolid

My Duo-R lost all the saves recently. I had not played it for a few months. The last time I did play Ys III, it was glitching when I would try to save. Hopefully I can recharge it.

SignOfZeta

As stated, it recharges in less than a second every time you turn it on.

If you are seeing problems *while* saving you have some kind of issue. I'm pretty sure you could literally remove the supercap and the system would still seem to save normally until you powered off the system.
IMG