10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

PC Engine CD Rom

Started by wildo2ne, 01/06/2014, 07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildo2ne

does anyone know if the PC Engine CD Rom drive will work with a Turbo Grafx 16? I ask because I just cannot find a TG16 CD drive for sale anywhere, even Ebay only has them bundled with a system.

CrackTiger

Turbo-CDs are an overpriced collectors item. TG-16's aren't worth much at all, so you can't really save anything by adding to one (and no, you can't hook it to a PCE CD-ROM setup). A PC Engine Duo system is cheaper than a Turbo-CD and will play everything a Turbo-CD ever could plus much more, including the large library of PCE HuCARDs. You can hang onto your TG-16 to play the few North American exclusive TurboChips, if you don't want to spend money on having your consoles modified.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

turbokon

You can use the pc-engine white cd-rom2 deck with a turbografx-16 and tg dock.

IMG
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

GohanX

Aren't the us and Japan drives interchangeable, just the docks are different?

*edit*

Ninja'd!

ToyMachine78

Quote from: turbokon on 01/06/2014, 08:19 PMYou can use the pc-engine white cd-rom2 deck with a turbografx-16 and tg dock.
I thought so too, because when KC repaired my turbo drive he just took the guts of the PCE drive and stuck it in the black case of my original. In fact my black unit has a white pin out in the back. Its a frankendrive.

roflmao

Yep, my Turbo had an affair with my PCE CD while the original was being repaired.  Thankfully they seem to be ok with open relationships.

Opethian

The point is that the money you spend on getting that setup would be better spent on a DUO
IMG

turbokon

Either setup is still cool. The key is patience, you can find good deals on here or even eBay every now and then, yes I said eBay.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

wildo2ne

Quote from: Opethian on 01/07/2014, 10:54 AMThe point is that the money you spend on getting that setup would be better spent on a DUO
I already have invested in a tg16 with a region and av mod though so it seems like it would be a bad investment at this time for a duo unless I can find one for just a rock bottom price

Opethian

The dock and the system card 3.0 are going to cost you a lot.  The AV mod is more than likely pointless when you have the dock connected as it has AV. What were you expecting to spend to complete your setup?
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: wildo2ne on 01/07/2014, 01:05 PM
Quote from: Opethian on 01/07/2014, 10:54 AMThe point is that the money you spend on getting that setup would be better spent on a DUO
I already have invested in a tg16 with a region and av mod though so it seems like it would be a bad investment at this time for a duo unless I can find one for just a rock bottom price
It would still be cheaper to buy a modded Duo or a regular one and then have it modified. A Duo R/RX will require less repair work in the short and long run and is much less of a hassle to operate. You can always sell your TG-16.

Although there are better deals if you're patient, right now there are severals PCE Duos on eBay for $260 shipped.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Xak

this my friend. Oh Christmas of 2004. The joys you brought me when my Duo R arrived from japan. i didnt get to enjoy you till a full year later
Im a real life Sadler, just take me to the nearest item shop.

I have aspergers, and am a recovering Tonicholic

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: CrackTiger on 01/07/2014, 04:04 PMAlthough there are better deals if you're patient, right now there are severals PCE Duos on eBay for $260 shipped.
You have to be patient for a long time and check religiously for auctions. What also sucks is that so many people will type in "PC Engine duo" when listing their PCE CD games, which shows up in ebay daily emails.

CrackTiger

Quote from: guest on 01/08/2014, 12:10 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 01/07/2014, 04:04 PMAlthough there are better deals if you're patient, right now there are severals PCE Duos on eBay for $260 shipped.
You have to be patient for a long time and check religiously for auctions. What also sucks is that so many people will type in "PC Engine duo" when listing their PCE CD games, which shows up in ebay daily emails.
There are also regular hardware sales here.

To find PCE hardware on eBay, sort results by "highest + shipping" and scroll down until hardware stops appearing.

If you want to see what something is actually selling for, look at Sold listings and unsold Completed listings.

Recently a PCE Duo sold for $104 shipped.