10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Remember when bars were places of social interaction?

Started by bob, 09/29/2014, 07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob

I am sitting at a bar in a New Hampshire hotel, there are 7 people here. Everybody is on their ipad or phone.

(Including me).  :lol:

esteban

Quote from: galam on 09/29/2014, 07:34 PMI am sitting at a bar in a New Hampshire hotel, there are 7 people here. Everybody is on their ipad or phone.

hahahahahshashs. Sad.

TrĂ¼e storie.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

bob

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

xcrement5x

I always hated bars as a place to "hang out".  Music is too loud so I could never hear people, drinks are overpriced, and the smoke killed my breathing and made me smell like an ashtray.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

MrFulci

I don't own a phone, outside my home or car. If someone wants me, they need to beep me, similar to Clark Griswold. (Really, even now. Fuck a leash. it's luxury, not a necessity).

National Lampoon's Vacation (1983) Trailer
My TG-16 never had a car phone attachment...
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

cr8zykuban0

jtucci31

CGQuarterly

bartre

all depends on the neighborhood.
in my area there are 4 general kinds of bars.
1 - dance clubs/bars - you can't hear shit, but you don't want to hear anything these people have to say. chances are very good you'll get laid unless you're just awful with chicks.
2 - college bars - these are the places where drinks are 3x as expensive as anywhere else, the music sucks and is too loud to speak over, but not enough to bother the more social people, and everyone is convinced that they have life all figured out.
3 - pubs - people here are generally pretty chill, the bars are dark, the music varies and is never anything you struggle to talk over, the bartender is always knowledgeable about at least one thing (beer, whiskey, cocktails, etc.), and they are almost never crowded.
4 - old man bars - they play classic rock and country music, football or baseball on TV, the drinks are cheap, but not much of a selection, and they generally open as soon as you can legally serve (6AM here)

there are prime examples of #3 and 4 within a 2 minute walk of my house, and i love them.

NecroPhile

Quote from: CGQuarterly on 09/30/2014, 12:41 AMTo be fair, you're at a *hotel* bar. 
Exactly.  Such bars have never been a hot bed for interaction; they're for adulterers and bored traveling salesmen killing time.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

bob

Quote from: guest on 09/30/2014, 09:25 AM
Quote from: CGQuarterly on 09/30/2014, 12:41 AMTo be fair, you're at a *hotel* bar. 
Exactly.  Such bars have never been a hot bed for interaction; they're for adulterers and bored traveling salesmen killing time.
haha.  true.  but i should clarify, its more like a full irish pub.  it wasnt like a traditional hotel bar.
you can see how bored i was to even create this thread.

synbiosfan

Quote from: guest on 09/30/2014, 12:14 AMMusic is too loud so I could never hear people, drinks are overpriced, and the smoke killed my breathing and made me smell like an ashtray.
All the reasons you listed reminds me of the good old days :P

o.pwuaioc

This, but also, talk to the bartender. They're usually happy to chat about something unless they too are busy on their phones (I've seen that, unfortunately, at too many bars I've been to, mostly by younger bartenders).

roflmao

Interesting.  I hardly ever go to bars, but a couple of weeks ago I was in Indy on a business trip and spent my evenings watching the Royals play at the hotel bar. One night I chit-chatted all evening with one of the bartenders.  She was really cute.  We were poking fun at some guy who was at the bar trying to pick up some hot blonde.  They were both pretty wasted. The next night I sparked up a conversation with the guy sitting next to me and it turns out he lives a couple towns away from me! I later saw him at the KC Airport after flying home.  Small world! Very few, if any, people were glued to their phones. 

When I do head to bars, it's usually #s 3 & 4 from Bartre's list that I prefer. :)

PunkCryborg

When I go to bars..... it's to play games!
Either I'm playing pinball or going to a retro console gaming night with some cool people!

SuperGrafx

Quote from: galam on 09/29/2014, 07:34 PMI am sitting at a bar in a New Hampshire hotel, there are 7 people here. Everybody is on their ipad or phone.

Whereabouts in New Hampshire?

bob

SuperGrafx

Quote from: galam on 10/20/2014, 09:09 PMwas in nashua
Wow no kidding.  Small world.
I lived there for 5 years.
Moved to the south last January.