@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

sega cd version of lords of thunder

Started by AlexKidd, 07/22/2005, 05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexKidd

Is this worth playing since I don't have a duo at the moment? How does it compare to the original?

twor2005

Quote from: "AlexKidd"Is this worth playing since I don't have a duo at the moment? How does it compare to the original?

I haven't played it but have you seen this?

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/main/pcenginefx_com_-_feature_-_lor1.html

Looks about the same to me, color is decent for a Sega CD game. Except you'll be betraying us of course  :wink:

Keranu

CrackTiger sent me a SVCD comparing the two. For the most part, they are the same game. The only difference is that the Duo version has more and brighter colors, better soundtrack, better sound effects (one weapon in the Sega CD version sounds HIDEOUS), and it seems that the Duo version offers just a little more challenge. Also in the Sega CD version, you're sprite does this annoying freeze when you get hit. It's your choice to buy the Sega CD version, but I'll give you major hardcore points for buying any kind of TG16/PCE system to play it along with the game  :twisted: .
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

OldRover

The Sega CD version is ok...it's certainly playable and fills the void if you don't have the Duo version. But once you DO have the Duo version...you'll never go back to the Sega CD version...the Duo version looks better, sounds better, plays better, and offers more of a challenge (the Sega CD version is really dumbed down in comparison).
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

AlexKidd

I think i'm going to hold out for the duo version. I keep playing all these inferior versions of duo games, like valis 3,ys 3 and forgotten worlds on the genesis. I was going to get exile for genesis too. I really want a Japanese duo though i'm waiting for one that's under $200 on ebay.

lord_cack

Quote from: "AlexKidd"I think i'm going to hold out for the duo version. I keep playing all these inferior versions of duo games, like valis 3,ys 3 and forgotten worlds on the genesis. I was going to get exile for genesis too. I really want a Japanese duo though i'm waiting for one that's under $200 on ebay.

Well the Ys III is up in the air. The Duo version has nicer graphics, much better music, and cut scenes but the animation is better on the Sega version. Atleast I thought....Still like the Duo version better as the animation isnt that big a deal...
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

Keranu

Ys III can certainly be debatable, but I prefer the Turbo CD version over all, mainly because of the music and the graphics (certainly not the parralax scrolling however!). Oh and plus it has two nice cutscenes.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

OldRover

The Genesis version of Exile is pretty lame. If you thought the TG version was easy...the Genesis version is even easier, and of course, lacks the killer soundtrack and cutscenes...not to mention the colours.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Keranu

Man the colors are in the Genesis version are so dirty and washed out compared to the Duo (especially in the portraits). Also the soundtrack totally BLOWS compared to the Duo's, which had an awesome soundtrack. I haven't beat the Genesis version, but I never knew that it was actually easier than the TGCD version. I want to try out the MSX versions.
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

It's also shorter then the Turbo version(Exile) or so I'm told.  I also want to play the MSX versions one of these days.  On LOT for Sega CD, I compared the 2 back n forth.....I personally think the Sega CD version is trash..but, it does fill the void if you don't have the Turbo version.
IMG

esteban

I posted this at magicengine, and, since this topic was recently resurrected, I thought you folks might dig it:

Quotehere's something you won't find by googling:

Lords of Blunder?

I think Nemo sums it up nicely :) ... if only all video game articles were written as eloquently ...

Enjoy!
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Keranu

My same post from the Magic Engine message board applies here :P .
IMG

Seldane

Might I just add that Ys III for the Genny is far superior to the Turbo version. In fact, the Genesis version is the best version of all Ys III versions.

PC-8801/PC-9801 - original version. Poor scrolling, poor graphics.
MSX - poor scrolling
NES - poor graphics and sound
SNES - poor graphics, sound and gameplay. This is the worst version.
Genesis - good graphics, good sound, faithful to the original version, best gameplay of all versions
PC Engine - poor graphics, poor gameplay, good music
PS2 - good graphics, gameplay and music
PC - Ys: The Oath in Felghana (3D remake) - good graphics, good sound, fantastic gameplay. Highly recommended.

These are just my opinions.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

GUTS

I pretty much agree with you, I had the most fun with the Genesis version and thought it had the best graphics out of them all.    I thought the Duo version was great too though with the cinemas and music making it about equal to the Genesis version, but the Genesis's awesome parallax scrolling puts it slightly in the lead.  

The SNES version was just awful though with that shitty mode 7 intro and crappy graphics.

Keranu

I have to prefer the TGCD version, with the Genesis version being second best. I have to take the way better overall graphics, music, cinemas, structured layout, and equally as good gameplay over smoother parallax scrolling.
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

I prefer Oath in Felghana, that game is an orgasm in a box!
IMG

Keranu

I haven't played Oath yet (as with most newer Falcom games), but I would probably take the original Ys III's over it since I am such a sucker for platform RPGs :D .
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

It's still a platformer RPG, but now it's a MLLION times better!  Believe me, the original is trash compared to Oath!  And I still enjoy the original!  But, even the music is better in Oath!  Everything about it blows away, Ys 3, not to mention most games that exist to this day, it's that good, especially if you enjoyed Ys 3.  When you play it someday, you'll crap your pants!
IMG

Seldane

I think Oath's a bit overrated. But sure, it's damn good game. I .... oh man, now that I think about it... It's SO great!!  :P
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

ParanoiaDragon

I'm waiting to see if Konami does a port of it, I wanna see what extras they might add, & hopefully get KCET to do the port.  I wanna play thru it again, but this time in english :D
IMG

CrackTiger

Wow, my preferences or 'likes' sure are in the minority.

I think that the Sega CD version of Lords' is one of the best games ever made, but that the Turbo game is still so much better and can stand up to the greatest of arcade classics. The Sega version also has a few graphical improvements over the original, mainly extra layers of scrolling, with one or two layers actually turned static...

I haven't played most of the following games in years, but...

I loved Valis III for Genesis and still think its one of the most impressive Gen carts(the cinemas with voice 'synch' are awesome).

Forgotten Words for Genesis is still a decent game and I really liked it when it came out, but never saw the arcade game before MAME. The Turbo version is unbelievable graphics & sound(bgm & sfx) wise and I've always prefered the gameplay to the Genesis game.

I thought that Ys III SNES had really nice graphics and amazing music(for a cart) and was pretty good(as good as Ys III can be) gameplay wise. I wasn't too impressed by the Genesis graphics in some ways, which I remember thinking looked like the SNES(sprites totally redrawn over the Turbo CD) visuals had been strained through and a few things that looked rushed), but that it also had unique qualities and was good in its own right. I still liked them all and refer to Herbs in games as Harbs to this day thanks to the Genesis translation.

I also really liked the Genesis version of Exile, censorship and all. Of course I played it before being tainted by the Turbo CD version which seemed way better by the time I played it. I remember wishing we'd get more of these middle of the road straight forward action/adventure Telenet games(like Valis III) that had nice touched up colorful graphics that never blew me away but still looked really nice. If only they'd made the ingame graphics of Golden Axe as nice as these two games.

Like I said before, these are only personal opinions and I'm not looking to start any arguments. :?
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!