@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

VGA Gradings?

Started by Tatsujin, 02/25/2013, 09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your honest opinion about it?

It's great (it prevents from overpriced junk market saturation)
3 (6.8%)
It's pure bullshit (only profiteer are the VGA guys themselves)
5 (11.4%)
For your gougers only
2 (4.5%)
It sucks big duck dicks in hell
5 (11.4%)
I dunno coz am le dumb
1 (2.3%)
something else
1 (2.3%)
Option 2, 3 & 4 together
27 (61.4%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Tatsujin

What is your honest opinion about it?
What are some of the advantages as well disadvantages it brings along to us gamers, collectors, hipsters etc.
How do you think it will change the future of all our beloved retro gaming overall?

:twisted:
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

bartre

it's dumb.
games were created to be played, so play them.
it's like displaying a box of oreos, you're missing the point.

nectarsis

This poll is le fail as you can't choose all 3 of these superb chocies:

It's pure bullshit (only profiteer are the VGA guys themselves)
For your gougers only
It sucks big duck dicks in hell
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

Tatsujin

poll accordingly adjusted :P

note: reset the counter back to "0"
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

nectarsis

Quote from: Tatsujin on 02/25/2013, 10:39 PMpoll accordingly adjusted :P

note: reset the counter back to "0"
:mrgreen: =D&gt;
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

Psycho Punch

VGA is bullshit... it skyrockets game prices for some reason... if someone seals up a Magical Chase you should just decrease your expectation to have it unless you're Bruce Wayne.

I also find VGA graded Maddens funny. No one wants the game, why someone would suddenly want to have your VGA 90+ copy of Madden' 99 for an absurd price?
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

tggodfrey

i voted its awesome, just because i wanted to stand out...lol
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

TR0N

It's for gouging when it comes down to it beside it being bs !
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Ji-L87

If you have a game in mint condition, and you decide to box it in order to properly present/preserve it better, that's one thing. That's fine.

Now, VGA grading is stupid and needs to stop. Because it's retarded. Even people who collect sealed games thinks so.

But I'm all for sticking a pristine copy in a box, if you want to. Now, even if it's boxed it might still not stand the test of time so play that game while you can. Unless you have doubles and have one of those fancy IKEA showcases or something.

Edit:
Now, allow me to express my thoughts further in a more serious fashion :mrgreen:

Playing "retro" games is, well, all about enjoying the classics, games from the pages of history. As such, like all other kinds of historical things, I strongly feel that games with historical value should be preserved so that we can look at them and enjoy them in the future, maybe even play them. Emulation probably takes care of that last part.

However, VGA grading is not about doing that. It's about the satisfaction of owning a pristine "mint" copy and having a "trustworthy" (lol!) source tell you that, yes, the game you paid good money for is totally worth all you gave for it. Yes sir. And with that, collectors can rub VGA graded games in each other faces all they like.

If people behind such grading schemes were actually interested in preserving the games, the wouldn't stick that stupid sticker on top it, and charge the kind of money they do. These people belong with the same kind of crowd that got in legal trouble for "correcting" Neo Geo AES labels.
CHECKPOINT!
Quote from: esteban on 09/23/2012, 01:40 AMThere is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

Tatsujin

QuoteWhat is more hilarious that peple buy cases of current gen xbox360, 3ds and ps3 games , grade it and try to sell at 10x prices while same games still available on amazon and retail for pennies. LMAO. This is just retarded.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Grafx-16-Turbografx-System-FACTORY-BRAN-NEW-90-GOLD-GRADE-/221193652802?pt=Video_Games&hash=item33802b4a42

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Ji-L87

CHECKPOINT!
Quote from: esteban on 09/23/2012, 01:40 AMThere is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

Tatsujin

in other words, 85% NEW??  :shock:

PunkCryborg

Anyone who collects video games without the intention of playing them is a moron.

VestCunt

Quote from: Tatsujin on 02/26/2013, 04:27 AM
QuoteWhat is more hilarious that peple buy cases of current gen xbox360, 3ds and ps3 games , grade it and try to sell at 10x prices while same games still available on amazon and retail for pennies. LMAO. This is just retarded.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Grafx-16-Turbografx-System-FACTORY-BRAN-NEW-90-GOLD-GRADE-/221193652802?pt=Video_Games&hash=item33802b4a42

:roll: :roll: :roll:
What's funny is brand-new, boxed, U.S. TG decks can STILL be found online for $200-400
Topic Adjourned.

NecroPhile

Options 2, 3, 4, and a bit of 5.  :mrgreen:

They're known to make errors and not know what they're doing, so why would anyone pay some internet nobody big bucks for flawed info.?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

OldRover

Fuck VGA and its greedy mouthbreathing adherents.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

BigusSchmuck

I wonder what the guys over in Pawn Stars would think if someone brought in a VGA graded game? Knowing our luck, Chum would buy it anyway.

JoshTurboTrollX

Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

DildoKKKobold

On the topic of VGA:

Note that the thread "How-to VGA your games" is stickied on NintendoAge. Do a search on NintendoAge for topics with VGA in the title, and you will find lots threads critical of VGA, that are locked for the reason of "This topic has been done before."

Draw your own conclusions.

For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

bob

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 02/26/2013, 03:05 PMI wonder what the guys over in Pawn Stars would think if someone brought in a VGA graded game? Knowing our luck, Chum would buy it anyway.
They just let two NES champ carts walk (grey and gold versions). Seller wanted $30k. They offered around $18k (if I remember correctly).

Tatsujin

Quote from: guest on 02/27/2013, 03:47 PMOn the topic of VGA:

Note that the thread "How-to VGA your games" is stickied on NintendoAge. Do a search on NintendoAge for topics with VGA in the title, and you will find lots threads critical of VGA, that are locked for the reason of "This topic has been done before."

I don't really get what you like say here, but I am glad that this won't be the same case on this forum.

Dyna138

Quote from: OldRover on 02/26/2013, 02:29 PMFuck VGA and its greedy mouthbreathing adherents.
+1

You'd have to be a moron to pay a premium price on something just because some idiot living in his parents basement made some obvious observations about the condition.

Like others have said games should be played and not displayed in cases and "graded". I think it's completely possible to preserve a game and not go to such extremes.

Psycho Punch

Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 02/27/2013, 03:47 PMOn the topic of VGA:

Gouging much? While I love Nintendo Age I hate their pro-vga attitude. It's not like they're conspiring with VGA but they're not receptive to contrary opinions about it, it seems.

Who the hell thinks that videogame collecting should be like coin collecting anyway? Allow a game to stand the test of time without getting played? Dudes, when you're below ground in a wooden box this is going to be the least of your problems... go play them or sell it to a museum if you're thinking about "video game preservation" (which isn't bad in my opinion but no one has any resources and knowledge to conserve these games indefinitely... seriously, if your game/hardware is THAT RARE make a personal/public dump of the mask/erasable ROMS and sell it to a museum!)
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!

Tatsujin

So peeps tell me, when do we start with the "obey against vga" rage campaign? :)

PikachuWarrior

I'm all for sealed games and collectors who do so, but there's just something about VGA grading that I don't like, therefore I most likely never will submit any of my games to them. It does nothing (protection-wise) that one could do themselves or with much cheaper products.
IMG

Sparky

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: guest on 03/03/2013, 08:48 PM
Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 03/03/2013, 08:45 PMI'm all for sealed games....
Hahaha.
I'm all for sealed games just so I can open them.

Tatsujin

tggodfrey

WTF......brand new and already graded....Ghey
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

NecroPhile

And only a score of 90, which is the fifth highest score.

RoyVegas

Quote from: tggodfrey on 03/06/2013, 01:02 PMWTF......brand new and already graded....Ghey
I giggled at this.  Mainly because I'm pretty darn sure you meant new, as in it just came out.  But when I first read it I thought, well yeah, pretty much everything they grade is new, as in new/sealed.
All is well. :)

Marll

VGA grading is fucking stupid and over inflates anything related to whatever shows up sealed on ebay.

Whoever is doing this shit should be dick-stompped repeatedly.
Rabid Turbo fan since 1989!
Happy F@ck eBay member since 2010

seieienbu

Quote from: guest on 03/06/2013, 03:25 PMAnd only a score of 90, which is the fifth highest score.
I don't think I've ever seen lower than 85...
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Tatsujin

Quote from: seieienbu on 03/17/2013, 09:56 PM
Quote from: guest on 03/06/2013, 03:25 PMAnd only a score of 90, which is the fifth highest score.
IMG

roflmao

Quote from: Tatsujin on 03/17/2013, 10:05 PM
IMG
That looks AT LEAST 85% NEW to me!  These VGA gradings are totally bogus.

Tatsujin

Quote from: guest on 03/17/2013, 10:20 PMThat looks AT LEAST 85% NEW to me!  These VGA gradings are totally bogus.
/vga85new.jpg

:idea:

roflmao

NecroPhile

Psycho Punch

Quote from: Tatsujin on 03/17/2013, 10:05 PM
Quote from: NecroPhile on 03/06/2013, 03:25 PMAnd only a score of 90, which is the fifth highest score.
http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww4/BigHedToyz/smb10-1.jpg?t=1324704873
Hahaha, neat! I remember that, it is from a member of Nintendo Age who's building a NES fullset full of crappy beaten up games.

For those who don't care know about the thread where this was posted, here's some trivia:

QuoteThere's not a grading report but I spoke with Chad at VGA several times about this game and these are some of the things he mentioned:

On a report, the areas of damage are circled on a corresponding diagram of the game. This game's diagram would be completely circled.
    A 10 is the lowest grade possible. In order to score a 10, the game has to meet two criteria. The first is that it exists, the second is that it's factory sealed.
    This is not only the lowest grade given to a game, it is the lowest grade CGA (AFA, VGA, DCA, CDA) has EVER issued in 12 years of business. Second place belongs to an action figure graded in 2006 with a score of 20.
    This is the worst condition item CGA has ever seen.

Psycho Punch

By the way, the above quote only proves that they only grade the shrink wrap, I don't think they know much about video games given their "spectrum of expertise" covers pretty much every sealed collectible.

kazumn

Luckly for us not a lot of graded pc engine games around, i doubt i've ever seen one. What would a graded copy of f1 pilot be worth graded i'd guess even my dumbster would spit it out.

Don't really get the point of the whole grading it's just a plastic box with a sticker slabbed on, things anybody could do really, who in their right mind is going to spend 10-50 times the price for that? 

this has got to be a joke right :

http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/Sonic-the-Hedgehog-2-VGA-95-MINT-Sega-Genesis-PRISTINE-GOLD-CLASSIC-NEW-/111026929418?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item19d9b87f0a

geise

Haha!  That is nothing compared to other vga graded shit I've seen.  Funny most of this crap is only really on ebay, and a couple other "game forums".

Here's one for the square heads.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Final-Fantasy-III-3-Super-Nintendo-SNES-VGA-85-Gold-Rating-Brand-New-/130873199665?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item1e78a68c31

roflmao

Quote from: geise on 04/01/2013, 06:29 PMHaha!  That is nothing compared to other vga graded shit I've seen.  Funny most of this crap is only really on ebay, and a couple other "game forums".

Here's one for the square heads.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Final-Fantasy-III-3-Super-Nintendo-SNES-VGA-85-Gold-Rating-Brand-New-/130873199665?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item1e78a68c31
GAH!!!  Such a fun and memorable game.  It pains me to see yet another copy that will NEVER BE ENJOYED. :(

Tatsujin

Yeah, he also could have rolled over it with a steam roller instead, wouldn't have made much of a difference.

kazumn

Tatsujin

lol, good luck with these dust catchers, bro.

CrackTiger

Quote from: kazumn on 04/02/2013, 08:12 AMthis dude is taking teh lolz to a whole level :

http://www.ebay.com/sch/dwrhecktic/m.html?item=121043133033&pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item1c2ebba269&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562
He keeps his sales private, but if you look at his feedback history, he buys up sealed games for hundreds of dollars, before grading them and listing them for (sometimes tens of) thousands of dollars.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

retroguy

If that's the case, than aside from being a gigantic douchebag, he's also the biggest moron on the planet. Does he honestly think anyone will ever buy those? If he does, than someone needs to call the men in the white coats.
I am bad and that's good. I will never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.

kazumn

Quote from: Tatsujin on 04/02/2013, 08:28 AMlol, good luck with these dust catchers, bro.
ey heard u don't like vga graded items but instead luv to spend ur hard earned monnies on pee cee engine system cards.
u should send them one of your system cards for teh grading.

kazumn

one other thing is it possible to take the game out of the case or is it trapped in their forever?

To be honest i think the whole Vga thing is retarted, it's meanly due to the greed of sellers tough, sure it's good for a laugh every once in a while but it's also annoying for us gamers/collectors to get a fair deal on certain items i'm sure most know what i mean. Then again i'm also guilty of paying a premium for sealed games just to have them in the shape i want them in also the feeling of opening the fucker up and knowing you're the first to play it in all these years makes me smile and saddens me at the same time  it had to wait that long to be played (well if it's a good game that is).

But to each his own i guess when i have to pay a premium for a game in order to get it, atleast i would like to get some sort enjoyment out off it.