@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Any interest in new replacement HUcard cases?

Started by jelloslug, 11/26/2012, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jelloslug

I have been contemplating modeling up the HUcard tray and clip and seeing what it would cost to have them tooled up to make some new ones.  I would appreciate some feedback on whether people would even be interested in them and what they would be willing to pay. I know most people (myself included) just get a few extra copies TV Sports Football or World Class Baseball and use those but they will not be plentiful forever.

Bernie

There is actually a guy looking into that now.  :)  https://www.seymoronion.com/index.html  Really cool guy to deal with too. 

NecroPhile

I'd love 'em!  Any style would be great, but I'd prefer the latter PCE huey type that fits in standard jewel cases to the US huey type, and even less preferable is the clipless PCE type.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: Bernie on 11/26/2012, 04:32 PMThere is actually a guy looking into that now.  :)  https://www.seymoronion.com/index.html  Really cool guy to deal with too. 
I am in disagreement with his current plan, and wish he'd consider skipping his interim step of a modified CD case. Quick explanation, he wants to make a CD tray style insert for a standard CD case, which has an instruction style clasp to hold the HuCard. Then, he wants to move into full reproduction of the original style of cases.

Essentially, you need to have a TON of cases made to make it cost effective. Thus, by promising original style cases, he is reducing the amount of people who will pay for these non-original-style cases, leaving him with a massive unsold quantity, which reduces his capital to spend on the original style (OS), reducing the chance of OS cases ever being made. Then, if or when he gets the capital to make OS cases, the NOS cases will never sell. Why buy a NOS case when OS cases are available?

Don't get me wrong, he is an awesome dude, and I love his hucard sleeves. I just wish he'd consider the fault of starting with a case that is overall less important to the turbografx community.
For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

jelloslug

Quote from: Bernie on 11/26/2012, 04:32 PMThere is actually a guy looking into that now.  :)  https://www.seymoronion.com/index.html  Really cool guy to deal with too. 
I have seen that (I have even bought his great sleeves) but I prefer the real TG-16 style case with the clip.  The PCE/Keith Courage style would be a little cheaper but if I am going to bother with it I want to go all the way and have the correct style made.

hizaygizirlz

I'd be down for some.  I'm still reluctant to cannibalize my TV Sports games for some reason.  I think you would find a lot of people on here that would buy say a half dozen or more, but I can't speak as to how cost effective that will be for you.

I am sure if you did a BiN on ebay w/ some, similar to what Seymor does w/ his sleeves you would be able to move some there too.
Gypsies did it.

Got no luv for the krackers only slugs for the krackers!

psychobear

I think you wouldn't have a problem selling them.. I would pick up a good amount..

jelloslug

I decided to go ahead and make a solid model of the back case; I'll do the clip tonight. I can then find out how much it will cost to tool the pieces up.  The piece price will be cheap even at lower volumes, it's the tooling that will be expensive. 

IMG

IMG

OldMan

What did you use to model that in?  Any chance the files will be available ?

MotherGunner

This looks AWESOME, however I must admit, the Sparky labels would go on WAY smoother if the hollow parts on the bottom weren't there.

Either way, I plan to buy a ton of these if you make them!
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

jelloslug

Quote from: TheOldMan on 11/27/2012, 03:09 PMWhat did you use to model that in?  Any chance the files will be available ?
Solidworks.  If I don't go through with the project I'll post them.

jelloslug

Quote from: MotherGunner on 11/27/2012, 03:16 PMThis looks AWESOME, however I must admit, the Sparky labels would go on WAY smoother if the hollow parts on the bottom weren't there.

Either way, I plan to buy a ton of these if you make them!
I have though about modifying the case a bit but you can't really just fill that in solid.  I could redesign it so there is a separate piece that snaps over the hollow section but that's just another part to tool up.

reno5

psychobear

If you decide to make these, would you make extra clips as well to replace those that are broken in our old cases?

jelloslug

Quote from: psychobear on 11/27/2012, 03:49 PMIf you decide to make these, would you make extra clips as well to replace those that are broken in our old cases?
I don't see why not.

DildoKKKobold

As far as you've gotten already, you seem to have experience in this, which gives me hope of this happening!

I'd be curious to know what you've done before, and what you've manufactured.

Nice model, btw.
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

jelloslug

Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 11/27/2012, 04:13 PMAs far as you've gotten already, you seem to have experience in this, which gives me hope of this happening!

I'd be curious to know what you've done before, and what you've manufactured.

Nice model, btw.
I'm an engineer; I make lots of stuff.  :mrgreen:

MotherGunner

Quote from: jelloslug on 11/27/2012, 03:58 PM
Quote from: psychobear on 11/27/2012, 03:49 PMIf you decide to make these, would you make extra clips as well to replace those that are broken in our old cases?
I don't see why not.
At this rate you could even have an alternate style clip for the thincker HuCards.  Just a thought for later down the road.  Man I am actually excited to see these.... 
-MG

FiftyQuid

Consider this post my pre-order for a minimum of 30 complete OS cases.  If you make clips available I'll take at least a dozen of those as well.

Looks excellent.  I would recommend making them unique in some way.  An imprint on the back with your initials, or "reproduction" in small font.  I'm sure that could even be part of the tooling.  It would keep the scammers from using these as originals.

@DK - I was unaware that Seymor was planning on doing NOS and then OS cases.  You might want to contact him with your reasoning as it is sound.  Maybe even point him here.  Perhaps we could get some sort of partnership going.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

CPTRAVE

jelloslug

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 11/27/2012, 07:00 PMConsider this post my pre-order for a minimum of 30 complete OS cases.  If you make clips available I'll take at least a dozen of those as well.

Looks excellent.  I would recommend making them unique in some way.  An imprint on the back with your initials, or "reproduction" in small font.  I'm sure that could even be part of the tooling.  It would keep the scammers from using these as originals.

@DK - I was unaware that Seymor was planning on doing NOS and then OS cases.  You might want to contact him with your reasoning as it is sound.  Maybe even point him here.  Perhaps we could get some sort of partnership going.
I was thinking about putting a little logo or something in an inconspicuous spot.  Maybe under the spot where the game goes or on the angled section inside the case.

jelloslug

I did the model for the clip tonight. If my calculations are correct the clip should fit new cases and original cases too. Here are the two parts assembled:

IMG

sirhcman

looks great! what is your goal for a price point on these?

CPTRAVE

Thats awesome, yup I'm getting some. Let us know when we can order them.

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 11/27/2012, 07:00 PM@DK - I was unaware that Seymor was planning on doing NOS and then OS cases.  You might want to contact him with your reasoning as it is sound.  Maybe even point him here.  Perhaps we could get some sort of partnership going.
I sorta tried, here.

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=12403.msg241895#msg241895

Note his bottom line. Now, I really didn't want to get in his face about it. He's an awesome dude, and doing a service to the community, which is why I didn't push it.
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

FiftyQuid

Yeah, I remember reading that thread in it's entirety.  I just didn't remember reading it the way you wrote it here.

jelloslug

Quote from: guest on 11/27/2012, 08:13 PMlooks great! what is your goal for a price point on these?
As cheap as possible.  I know that the average "cheap game" can be bought for about $5 so I want to get much lower than than.  Once I get some quotes for the tooling I will know more.  I fully expect that the tooling will be very expensive and quite possible cost prohibitive so I do have a "back-up" plan that might work also.

glazball

Wow Jelloslug, your model looks great.  If these become reality, you'd be doing the community an incredible service!  Unfortunately I'm too late because I was very lucky to find a seller who sold me a couple dozen clip cases (from sports games) for $2 each, but these would have been ideal.  I hope these see the light - there is definitely a need for them.
glazball's game collection and wantlist

Arkhan Asylum

Hello, ABCard cases.

lol.  No more CD cases with the thingies clipped out.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

MotherGunner

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 11/28/2012, 12:09 PMHello, ABCard cases.

lol.  No more CD cases with the thingies clipped out.
Yes, YES to Arkhan you listen!

IMG
-MG

VestCunt

Quote from: jelloslug on 11/27/2012, 10:10 PMAs cheap as possible.  I know that the average "cheap game" can be bought for about $5 so I want to get much lower than than.  Once I get some quotes for the tooling I will know more.  I fully expect that the tooling will be very expensive and quite possible cost prohibitive so I do have a "back-up" plan that might work also.
Cheaper is better, but if you can't get a great deal, don't sacrifice the project. Even at $5, many of us would prefer to buy repros over destroying original stickers. Also, tracking down $5 games that still have cases and undamaged clips is a time-consuming pain in the butt and competition is increasing. I'd gladly pay to buy something in bulk.

Also, if possible, please consider jewel case compatibility. A lot of modern jewel case doors don't fit snugly on TG cases.
Topic Adjourned.

jelloslug

Quote from: VestCunt on 11/28/2012, 11:42 PMCheaper is better, but if you can't get a great deal, don't sacrifice the project. Even at $5, many of us would prefer to buy repros over destroying original stickers. Also, tracking down $5 games that still have cases and undamaged clips is a time-consuming pain in the butt and competition is increasing. I'd gladly pay to buy something in bulk.

Also, if possible, please consider jewel case compatibility. A lot of modern jewel case doors don't fit snugly on TG cases.
That's another thing I'm working on.  I'm trying to find GOOD jewel case doors that are the same thickness as the original cases.  I have yet to find a replacement jewel case that is as heavy as an original case, the best I have found so far are Memorex cases but they are still nowhere near what the old ones are. They fit fine in the hinge area but are still noticeably thinner overall than an OEM one.

xcrement5x

Cheers to this!  I don't really need any but I'd be happy to buy some as well to support the critical mass needed for the project. 

I spent a long time working on the numbers for making replacement SegaCD/Saturn cases but due to the size of them and costs for molds and even getting a workable model to start with I had to abandon it as well. 

Best of luck and if you need to do a community initiative/pre-order/fundraiser for this to get the upfront costs for molds please don't be shy to ask before abandoning it.  For those who don't know, the costs for plastic injection molds and even the setup of an existing mold is very expensive. 
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

jelloslug

I'm getting quotes in for the parts and the tooling and it's still looking good.

T2KFreeker

Oh man, new sleeves and cases. I am so up for this. I hope this happens.
END OF LINE.

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: jelloslug on 11/29/2012, 10:02 AM
Quote from: VestCunt on 11/28/2012, 11:42 PMCheaper is better, but if you can't get a great deal, don't sacrifice the project. Even at $5, many of us would prefer to buy repros over destroying original stickers. Also, tracking down $5 games that still have cases and undamaged clips is a time-consuming pain in the butt and competition is increasing. I'd gladly pay to buy something in bulk.

That's another thing I'm working on.  I'm trying to find GOOD jewel case doors that are the same thickness as the original cases.  I have yet to find a replacement jewel case that is as heavy as an original case, the best I have found so far are Memorex cases but they are still nowhere near what the old ones are. They fit fine in the hinge area but are still noticeably thinner overall than an OEM one.
Have you looked into bulk retailers? Such as:

http://www.highsmith.com/CD-Jewel-Case-Replacement-Parts-Tray-c_21708251/

http://www.tapeonline.com/case-components

Making your design around one of these seems like the best bet for everyone, since you could order bulk of these and include them. I'd certainly pay you extra to not have to deal with finding a match. (Maybe you've already found a source for memorex lids, and I'm being totally redundant and unhelpful.)
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

jelloslug

Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 11/30/2012, 05:53 PMHave you looked into bulk retailers? Such as:

http://www.highsmith.com/CD-Jewel-Case-Replacement-Parts-Tray-c_21708251/

http://www.tapeonline.com/case-components

Making your design around one of these seems like the best bet for everyone, since you could order bulk of these and include them. I'd certainly pay you extra to not have to deal with finding a match. (Maybe you've already found a source for memorex lids, and I'm being totally redundant and unhelpful.)
I have found a bulk seller with decent lids but they still are not as think as the older ones.  I found an article that explained that the industry went front 100 gram cases to 68 gram cases some time ago so the older style may not even be made at all anymore.

psychobear

I don't think you will find the thick ones since almost everyone is cutting cost on stuff so company's can save money

DildoKKKobold

DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

jelloslug

Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 12/11/2012, 10:22 PMAny update on this?
All the quotes are in, I'm having 3D printed prototypes made to verify the models, and I'm sending samples of the back case and clip to the molding company I picked so they can verify materials and color.

FiftyQuid

I'm so damn excited about this project.  :D

jelloslug

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 12/12/2012, 03:44 PMI'm so damn excited about this project.  :D
The rapid prototypes are due to be printed by the 24th.

psychobear

I would like to be a tester haha!!!

Can't wait to see them!!

tggodfrey

Bad ass

What was the average quote you got?
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

turboswimbz

Awesome,  Hope you can make this a reality on the large scale!  Will you be able to upload photos of the 3D-printed prototypes?   Also is the plastic going to match the OEM plastic? (not sure what kind the orginal was)
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

jelloslug

Quote from: turboswimbz on 12/12/2012, 05:54 PMAwesome,  Hope you can make this a reality on the large scale!  Will you be able to upload photos of the 3D-printed prototypes?   Also is the plastic going to match the OEM plastic? (not sure what kind the orginal was)
There will pics of the prototypes.  The plastic for the finished goods should match the originals as closely as possible.

MotherGunner

Dammit, you make it look easy!  I can't wait for you to take my money!
-MG

esteban

Two cents: I don't want the new trays to be BORING OLD CHARCOAL GRAY like the originals. I want the new cases to be BLACK or in GORGEOUS TECHNICOLOR like they should have been from the start: CHERRY RED, CANARY YELLOW, ORANGE ORANGE,  OCEAN BLUE, MOSS GREEN, et cetera here we come!!!

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

MotherGunner

Red would be awesome for the red label games and Black would be awesome for the black label games!

Blue would be best for Deep Blue!
-MG