RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Johnny Turbo Returns?!

Started by jlued686, 12/22/2017, 10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlued686

This is so strange...

LINK

QuoteFlying Tiger Entertainment has announced that it is bringing some of Data East's most beloved arcade titles to the Switch.

Over 20 titles are coming to Switch, PS4, Xbox One and Steam, with the only confirmed game so far being the 1990 fantasy action release Gate of Doom (also known as Dark Seal). Games are expected to sell for $7.99 each on the eShop.

The really weird part of all of this is that Flying Tiger is using Turbo Technologies Inc. mascot Johnny Turbo to promote this range of games.

The apparent connection here is that Flying Tiger was founded by Johnny Brandstetter, the brand manager for the TurboGrafx-16 (PC Engine) in North America. The character of Johnny Turbo was based on Brandstetter, and we assume that since TTI's collapse in the '90s and Hudson Soft's purchase by Konami in more recent years, he's retained the rights to the character.

Psycho Punch

It's obvious that JT is using his powers to enhance the arcade feel on those data east games...

I'm glad that he isn't bitter about his time at TTi anymore. :lol:
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

SignOfZeta

...yeah, that ought to move millions of units.
IMG

CrackTiger

Proof that he never got the joke.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

crazydean

What are these "worst mascot" lies?

NecroPhile

Ha!  Maybe he thinks it's so bad it's good.....  or that lulz press making fun of him reusing Johnny Turbo is better than the no press he'd otherwise get.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

NightWolve

Quote from: crazydean on 12/22/2017, 11:29 AMWhat are these "worst mascot" lies?
Johnny Turbo resurrected for a new generation, why, I never thought I'd live to see the day! Brings a tear to my eye... *sniff*

Johnny on Twitter?!?!? WHAT?!

https://twitter.com/ItsJohnnyTurbo

IMG

Too bad it's a dead account, he lost the will to fight on since 2 years ago. :(

Gredler

How can we not assume this means he's working towards license deals to release turbob and pce games on the switch? Data east is what his company has rights to now, but who's to say he's not talking to people about using it as lightning rod to people like us who love this old obscure silly stuff.

Regardless, I am behind it. If we have bubsy coming back, why not johnny t?

exodus

he's been around for ages, but what's new is he managed to get the trademark for turbografx (I think) and johnny turbo (definitely), so now he's pushing that more than ever. He's been in the game of localizing japanese games for phones and other things for some time now.

(and by the way, *anyone* with money can have the rights to data east games - their rightsholders are renting them out non-exclusively - I know this because we were going to do a Bad Dudes game but we cut off the conversation after learning they'd also given the license, at the same time, to two other groups who had no experience with anything. one of them was that dumb failed kickstarter)

esteban

Quote from: exodus on 12/22/2017, 02:25 PMhe's been around for ages, but what's new is he managed to get the trademark for turbografx (I think) and johnny turbo (definitely), so now he's pushing that more than ever. He's been in the game of localizing japanese games for phones and other things for some time now.

(and by the way, *anyone* with money can have the rights to data east games - their rightsholders are renting them out non-exclusively - I know this because we were going to do a Bad Dudes game but we cut off the conversation after learning they'd also given the license, at the same time, to two other groups who had no experience with anything. one of them was that dumb failed kickstarter)
Brandstetter (possibly) has TurboGrafx?

Damn.

I am clueless on this, but how much does something like that cost? (Not that you know the answer, but...)

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

SignOfZeta

I look forward to buying massively discounted Turbografx merch from the crap bins at Toys R Us like it was the 90s.
IMG

seieienbu

I was going to bring up the new Bubsy but it seems my work is already done.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

turboswimbz

Quote from: exodus on 12/22/2017, 02:25 PMhe's been around for ages, but what's new is he managed to get the trademark for turbografx (I think)
Unrelated to anything here, I searched for the trademark recently.  Konami still has Turbografx And monkeypaw has turbografx-16 although this is limited to mobile releases.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

esteban

Quote from: turboswimbz on 12/23/2017, 08:28 PM
Quote from: exodus on 12/22/2017, 02:25 PMhe's been around for ages, but what's new is he managed to get the trademark for turbografx (I think)
Unrelated to anything here, I searched for the trademark recently.  Konami still has Turbografx And monkeypaw has turbografx-16 although this is limited to mobile releases.
Ha!

The whole "TurboGrafx" vs "TurboGrafx-16" is interesting.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

jlued686

Out today: Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Gate of Doom.

QuoteGate of Doom a is classic multiplayer action RPG for one to two players. Originally release in 1990, and a noted classic arcade title from the 90s.

TheClash603

Quote from: KingDrool on 02/15/2018, 12:40 PMOut today: Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Gate of Doom.

QuoteGate of Doom a is classic multiplayer action RPG for one to two players. Originally release in 1990, and a noted classic arcade title from the 90s.
Am I the only one that thinks is fucking bizarre?

Also, I've never played this game and it wasn't in any of the many arcades I used to frequent.  Is it just dumb luck, or are they using the term "classic" too liberally here?

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: TheClash603 on 02/15/2018, 06:46 PM
Quote from: KingDrool on 02/15/2018, 12:40 PMOut today: Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Gate of Doom.

Am I the only one that thinks is fucking bizarre?

Also, I've never played this game and it wasn't in any of the many arcades I used to frequent.  Is it just dumb luck, or are they using the term "classic" too liberally here?
It's not just you.  This is.......surrea perhapsl?  Very strange.  As for the game, I didn't know it existed till today, so I don't think I ever saw it in arcades BITD.
IMG

Psycho Punch

I'll only buy old data east arcade games from Tubbs if he confirms whether or not the shiny Duo is real.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

jlued686

I downloaded the game yesterday and played it for a bit. I'm pretty sure I've played this before on MAME. It's a really well-done port of a pretty shit game. I don't care for it, at least. It's an isometric adventure game, with a Dungeons & Dragons arcade vibe, but it's just not very fun. And the sound effects are garbage.

The intro screen is hilarious, though. It's got the Johnny Turbo logo and (I assume) Brandsetter's voice saying, "Johnny Turbo Presents..." From there, they've got lots of settings (RGB, HD, S-Video, Composite, 4:3, Stretch, etc.), which is nice to see. It's a two-player game, and you can select one of four characters.

The game is alright, I guess. It just didn't feel right to me.

jlued686

Okay, this is pretty hilarious:

QuoteThe promo art for the Switch port of Bad Dudes on http://Nintendo.com  is probably the most amateurish thing I've ever seen. It's literally just sprite edits from fighting games (such as Double Dragon '95, Art of Fighting 2 and KOF) and pretty obvious ones at that.

I can understand not having access to the original art assets for such an old game (especially one from a defunct company like DECO), but it's not like there aren't scans of the arcade flyers and boxarts online. Or better yet, just use a screenshot from the actual game.
So, for context, Johnny Turbo's next game on Switch is a port of Bad Dudes. For the promo art on Nintendo.com, his company took pixel art from other games and slapped it on the banner. Check it out:

Promo art:
IMG

Actual games:
IMG
IMG
IMG

=D>

EDIT: Oh holy shit. I just noticed that the semi and the city background were both totally photoshopped in there. Genius.

CrackTiger

Johnny Turbo was obviously a joke poking fun at TTi guys. Johnathan Brandstetter is genuinely ruining his actual reputation all on his own.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

exodus

it's worse - he took the promo image from someone on deviant art who copied those sprites. I think it's fair game to do that as a deviant art fan - but to steal stuff which is stolen, that takes some real guts!

https://tonatello.deviantart.com/art/Bad-Dudes-vs-Dragon-Ninja-213761281

jlued686

Next up from Johnny Turbo: Sly Spy.

QuoteSecret Agent: Use your jetpack and the golden gun and save the world from Evil.

It is the year 199X, Secret Agent Sly must protect the U.S. from a nuclear missile attack from the terrorist organization CWD (Council for World Domination). Play an arcade classic! Secret Agent: Use your jetpack and the golden gun and save the world from Evil.

Platform Nintendo Switch
Release Date May 03, 2018
No. of Players 1 player
It's a shame, I'm not seeing any jacked up photoshop fuckery on this page.