The Analogue Turbo Duo clone shipped in time for Christmas 2023. Are you happy with yours ?? Find firmware updates here.
Main Menu

R.I.P Hiroshi Yamauchi

Started by Nando, 09/19/2013, 10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nando

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/nintendo-video-game-pioneer-hiroshi-yamauchi-dies-85-4B11197349

"Former Nintendo Co Ltd President Hiroshi Yamauchi, who built the company into a video game giant from a maker of playing cards during more than half a century at the helm, died on Thursday of pneumonia, the company said. He was 85.

Yamauchi was the third-generation head of the family-run business, founded in the ancient Japanese capital of Kyoto in 1889 as a maker of playing cards, and served as president from 1949 until 2002. He was an executive adviser to the company at the time of his death.

Under his leadership, the company developed the Famicom home game console and the Game Boy handheld player..."

the NES gets played tonight!

esteban

At some point, he was one of the richest men in Japan.

But I don't care about that.

I heard that he personally guided the development of Balloon Fight. It was inspired by a vivid dream he had one night in the early 80's, possibly after watching an episode of Star Blazers and downing a dozen cans of Bud Dry.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Mzo

lol, I hope that Balloon Fight story is true.

He was the best yakuza thug boss a kiddie company ever had.  I bet Gunpei Yokoi was waiting for him in ambush in the afterlife.
HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
My Backloggery

jlued686

Dude was a bad ass mofo. RIP, man. Thanks for the memories.

ccovell

Quote from: esteban on 09/19/2013, 05:46 PMI heard that he personally guided the development of Balloon Fight. It was inspired by a vivid dream he had one night...
Surely, the dream was to get rich by copying Williams' JOUST wholesale...

esteban

Quote from: ccovell on 09/19/2013, 07:19 PM
Quote from: esteban on 09/19/2013, 05:46 PMI heard that he personally guided the development of Balloon Fight. It was inspired by a vivid dream he had one night...
I agree (such great games!)...except Yamauchi preferred to refer to Balloon Fight as his homage to the American arcade.  In other interviews, however, he claims that Balloon Fight was a mélange of major elements from the American arcade.

It's probably apocryphal, but some sources state that Yamauchi's mistress, when quizzed about the American influence on Nintendo during the 80's at a press event, simply put a finger to her lips and said, "Shhhh." She refused to answer any further questions as she quietly sipped tea and indulged in a creme brûlée.

OK, I'll stop now.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Nando

Quote from: ccovell on 09/19/2013, 07:19 PM
and boy did that dream come true or what?

retroguy

I am bad and that's good. I will never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.