CD Stupid Card 4.0

Started by TailChao, 03/03/2015, 01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmer

Hi TailChao ... any news?

I've been way distracted with the PC-FX, but I'm really looking forward to getting to use with the Stupid Card when it's released!

TailChao

Quote from: elmer on 05/28/2015, 07:03 PMHi TailChao ... any news?

I've been way distracted with the PC-FX, but I'm really looking forward to getting to use with the Stupid Card when it's released!
I've been on vacation for the past week and haven't had access to my soldering equipment, so things are Frozen until next Monday.

However, the batch of six cards I have been working on (see the status tracker in the first post) are nearly done. They just need their Flash sockets soldered on and I can test them out. The parts have already arrived for the second batch of eight cards, so I should be able to start those immediately after.

Assuming at least 12 of the 16 cards I'll be assembling work 100%, they'll likely be shipped out around July.

Edit: I've also decided to socket the CPLD on every cartridge, not just the flash chip. This simplifies repairs if needed and also will let you reprogram the mapper.

By the by, nice work on Zeroigar.

elmer

Quote from: TailChao on 05/29/2015, 10:47 AMEdit: I've also decided to socket the CPLD on every cartridge, not just the flash chip. This simplifies repairs if needed and also will let you reprogram the mapper.
Excellent news ... I hadn't seen the progress updates in the first post, and now I know to look for them.

I like the idea that it's going to be socketed ... that might allow for some interesting tricks down the line.

You've come up with a really cute way of doing a multi-region card ... but I'd happily give up the multi-region aspect if I could think of something else cool to do with all of those gates inside the CPLD!  :wink:

QuoteBy the by, nice work on Zeroigar.
Thanks.  :D

thesteve

i found when working with the gameofyou flash cart that some configurations were so late on the reset pin going high that it wouldnt work
easy solution was simply to ignore the system reset pin (dont know how that would effect your project)

elmer

Quote from: elmer on 05/30/2015, 03:29 PMYou've come up with a really cute way of doing a multi-region card ... but I'd happily give up the multi-region aspect if I could think of something else cool to do with all of those gates inside the CPLD!  :wink:
Haha ... my little head is spinning ... apparently the larger EPM7064 CPLD is pin-compatible with EPM7032 CPLD that TailChao is using ... so perhaps a fast multiply could be added, or maybe fast pixel packing/unpacking.

Both of those would be nice for software-3D.

I'm definitely going to have to do some research on this!  :D

TailChao

Quote from: thesteve on 05/31/2015, 12:10 AMi found when working with the gameofyou flash cart that some configurations were so late on the reset pin going high that it wouldnt work
easy solution was simply to ignore the system reset pin (dont know how that would effect your project)
Since the MCGenjin-CD can change the card memory map drastically, I need to clear the registers associated with this at reset and I'd rather not do this with an additional RC circuit on the card. The lucky thing is that ROM reads are allowed while RESETn is low, so I just added a stall loop before the first write to the mapper (system region) is performed.

Interestingly enough, the original MCGenjin mapper wouldn't permit ROM reads until RESETn had risen. But its complexity (and gate pushback) was much lower and hid this behavior. Or maybe the CPU was just wandering around the open bus until RESETn rose. Whatever, at least now the behavior is known.

Quote from: elmer on 05/31/2015, 12:07 PMHaha ... my little head is spinning ... apparently the larger EPM7064 CPLD is pin-compatible with EPM7032 CPLD that TailChao is using ... so perhaps a fast multiply could be added, or maybe fast pixel packing/unpacking.

Both of those would be nice for software-3D.

I'm definitely going to have to do some research on this!  :D
I actually just logged in to post about that chip. However, I don't think you'll be able to fit a multiplier in it, 64 macrocells isn't that big. The EPM7096 for my Atari 7800 project's mapper is quite full, and the most elaborate thing it is doing is graphic fetch trapping.

But there are many other CPLDs to use if you're willing to wire up your own prototypes. The point is that it's very easy (and affordable) to hardware our way out of problems.

It should also be kept in mind that the MAX 7000 series is now obsolete. I continue to use them since I found several tubes in the garbage in the early 2000s. So it may be good to investigate other options.

elmer

Quote from: TailChao on 05/31/2015, 03:19 PMI actually just logged in to post about that chip. However, I don't think you'll be able to fit a multiplier in it, 64 macrocells isn't that big. The EPM7096 for my Atari 7800 project's mapper is quite full, and the most elaborate thing it is doing is graphic fetch trapping.

But there are many other CPLDs to use if you're willing to wire up your own prototypes. The point is that it's very easy (and affordable) to hardware our way out of problems.
Awwww ... damn!

I've been too busy with other stuff to play with the Altera DE2 devkit that I bought, and so still have little idea of just how powerful a typical "macrocell" is.

Unfortunately, I'm a software guy, not a hardware guy ... the idea of soldering all those little wires makes me run away and hide behind the couch!

TailChao

Update time, I'm about a third of the way through manufacturing.
8/16 Cards have been built, and 5/8 of those cards are working properly. The remaining three are having issues, but at least two will likely be salvageable (one doesn't boot, one's upper 1MB RAM is bad, and ones's lower 1MB is bad).

I'll start the second run of 8 cards next week, after that I'll go back and rework any cards that didn't work on the first try.

Nio

Am I already on the list? I can pay in advance if needed!

TailChao

Quote from: Nio on 06/05/2015, 01:02 PMAm I already on the list? I can pay in advance if needed!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Unfortunately, you didn't make the list before the deadline closed.

However, I'm keeping track of everyone who has posted that they're interested in buying a card after said deadline ended. If I have extra cards after taking care of the twelve on the list (including a card for me), I'll PM you.
There is a good chance you may get a card since I'm manufacturing 16 cards and we'd have to have four completely defective ones to not have extras. But again, no guarantees.

elmer

Quote from: TailChao on 06/05/2015, 01:01 PMUpdate time, I'm about a third of the way through manufacturing.
8/16 Cards have been built, and 5/8 of those cards are working properly. The remaining three are having issues, but at least two will likely be salvageable (one doesn't boot, one's upper 1MB RAM is bad, and ones's lower 1MB is bad).
Arrrggghh ... that's what scares me about trying to put together today's tiny little electronic components.

Thank you again for going through all this hard work to put these together!  :D

Quote from: TailChao on 05/31/2015, 03:19 PMBut there are many other CPLDs to use if you're willing to wire up your own prototypes. The point is that it's very easy (and affordable) to hardware our way out of problems.
For some reason, I keep on looking at this ... and found the 5-volt Atmel AT40K FPGA.  :wink:

elmer

Quote from: TailChao on 06/05/2015, 01:14 PMThere is a good chance you may get a card since I'm manufacturing 16 cards and we'd have to have four completely defective ones to not have extras. But again, no guarantees.
Oooooh ... did I just see the number of manufactured cards go up today?  :-k

Really looking forward to this!

TailChao

Quote from: elmer on 07/09/2015, 11:24 PMOooooh ... did I just see the number of manufactured cards go up today?  :-k
Yes, only four to go.
Luckily as long as three out of those four work, we're all set and I can get the cards ready for distribution soon.

TailChao

Sorry for the double post, but it's for a good reason.
All 16 cards have been manufactured, of which 13 are working properly. I'll see if I can repair the three defective cards at a later time, but either way enough of the batch works to handle everyone on the list.

I'm going to spend the next week getting these guys ready for shipping and will PM everyone to confirm address and payment method once the cards are packed. (Paypal is preferred, but not required. If you want to trade for hardware, that's cool too).
The modified CD System 3.0 firmware on the card now includes a large delay to account for the varying RESETn rise times in NEC's hardware. All cards were tested in my TurboGrafx+CD, Turbo Express, and White PCE. Duo owners should be fine, but if anyone encounters issues on their system I'd like to figure out why.
The only thing I cannot guarantee compatibility with is systems which have the electronic region mod (using the MC14551s), as this adds a large amount of propagation delay to the system bus.

Anyway, the cards are very simple to use and aside from the "CD SYSTEM CARD DERP 4.0" present on the startup screen will operate just like a Super System Card, so you may enjoy a session of Star Parodier among whatever development you're doing.
When developing your own software, the two LEDs will become quite helpful. D1, the top LED, indicates whether or not the system region register has been written to. This is done automatically at startup by the card firmware, but should be kept in mind if you plan on writing your own bootloader or whatever. D2, the lower LED, indicates when the card has switched into linear mode.
Other than that, it's a fairly normal development PCB. Practice care when handling.

elmer

Nio

TailChao

Quote from: Nio on 07/16/2015, 09:45 AMOne left for me?
I'll PM you if there are any left after distributing the cards to everyone who made it on the list :).
There's always a chance (albeit slim) that someone's card could get smashed in the mail, and I need to keep the few extras I have put aside in case that happens.

CrackTiger

My Stupid Card arrived today and it came in a package with some very nice artwork on the back.

IMG

Here is the card itself:
IMG

It comes loaded with Derp 4.0 System:

IMG
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Psycho Punch

Quote from: CrackTiger on 08/10/2015, 07:15 PMHere is the card itself:
IMG
OK who wants to volunteer to port Osman to the Stupid Card? The game's name is even printed on the board :lol:

IMG
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

elmer

Quote from: guest on 08/10/2015, 07:33 PMOK who wants to volunteer to port Osman to the Stupid Card? The game's name is even printed on the board :lol:

IMG
That's my goal!  :wink:

But sorry regular PCE guys ... I'm only interested in targeting the SuperGrafx and/or PC-FX.  :(

TailChao

Glad to see the cards are making it to their new homes safely. Hopefully no one runs into any weird compatibility issues.

Also, everyone who got on the pre-order list please check your PMs. I sent out a mass mail about two weeks ago and have only heard back from about half of you.

Quote from: guest on 08/10/2015, 07:33 PMOK who wants to volunteer to port Osman to the Stupid Card? The game's name is even printed on the board :lol:
The sad thing is that I am absolutely rubbish at that quarter game.

esteban

GODDAMN BEAUTIFUL:

Package

PCB

Tracings

Future Possibilities...
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

TailChao

Sorry for the bump, but I need to get the six remaining cards out of my apartment. If the following members could contact me it would be appreciated :

- Debvgger_
- Lochlan
- wyndcrosser
- The Old Rover
- VenomMacbeth
- cjameslv

I've sent two PMs to all of you on this list and an email to the address registered to your accounts (if any). These things can get lost, but if you're still interested in completing your purchase of the Stupid Card, please contact me with your address and I'll respond with shipping and payment details.
You're free to cancel the order if you no longer want the card. No hard feelings, I just need an answer.

Nio

if anybody cancled or you have one spare, i am all in :-)

shubibiman

Same here, I'd get one of those if you get no answer from the other guies ;)
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

TailChao

Update time.
I'm moving back to the East Coast in November, which involves more packing than I'd like to deal with. There are currently four CD Stupid Cards which have still not been claimed and are sitting on top of my television.

I apologize to the developers who reserved them earlier, but I have waited several months.
They're now up for grabs. If you already bought a card and want to buy another, or all four, that's cool. I just want to see them used.

If you're interested, post below. Again, there are only four cards left and the price is still $35 each plus shipping.

LostFlunky

LostFlunky

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 09/27/2015, 08:17 PMI am interested.  Will pay immediately on confirmation and not leave you hanging...

TailChao

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 09/27/2015, 08:17 PMI am interested.
PM Sent, three cards left.

Edit : Two left, now.

td741

TailChao

saturndual32

Quote from: elmer on 08/10/2015, 07:43 PM

IMG
That's my goal!  :wink:

But sorry regular PCE guys ... I'm only interested in targeting the SuperGrafx and/or PC-FX.  :(
I dont think the SGX would be up to it, but the PC FX should be capable of a pretty nice port Osman...would be AWESOME!!!!!

Artemio

If yout can ship to Mexico,  I'm interested and ready to pay for shipping with tracking

TailChao

Quote from: aurbina on 09/28/2015, 12:45 PMIf yout can ship to Mexico,  I'm interested and ready to pay for shipping with tracking
PM Sent, and that's all the cards accounted for.  :D

I still have the nonworking cards put aside and a few extras just in case. If any of those become available, I'll update this topic.
Thank you everyone for participating in the development of this new accessory :)

TurboXray

I have my card. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet though.

LostFlunky

Received my card today.  The envelope was awesome!   I will post a picture later.

Tested and working, Thanks again!

Artemio

Just got mine!

Works perfectly on all my systems (Supergrafx, CP Engine, Duo and TG-16). Thanks a lot for your great work.

IMG

td741

Got my card and artful envelope late last week. Haven't had a chance to test it out yet...

TurboXray

I was trying out the card today, and it's too thin to work on my system (too loose). What can I use to put underneath it get a better fit?

OldRover

Maybe a small piece of oak tag might give it enough thickness?
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

blueraven

Are any of these still available?.. Or did I miss the boat...

TailChao

Quote from: TurboXray on 10/17/2015, 06:01 PMI was trying out the card today, and it's too thin to work on my system (too loose). What can I use to put underneath it get a better fit?
Ah, my apologies. I guess the card slots have some variation in them.
Anyway, the proper solution is to thicken the layer of hot melt on the bottom of the card. You can use the glue gun's heated nozzle to create a nice angled edge.
A quick workaround is just to fold a piece of paper and insert it in the slot underneath the card. It's easier if you put the paper in first or use sturdy cardstock.

Worst case I can mail you another card.

Quote from: blueraven on 10/17/2015, 07:57 PMAre any of these still available?.. Or did I miss the boat...
There were several boats and they've all set sail. However, I am still holding a couple extra cards in case anyone who bought one previously runs into defects. If none of those are required, I'll PM you.

blueraven

Quote from: TailChao on 10/18/2015, 01:01 AM
Quote from: blueraven on 10/17/2015, 07:57 PMAre any of these still available?.. Or did I miss the boat...
There were several boats and they've all set sail. However, I am still holding a couple extra cards in case anyone who bought one previously runs into defects. If none of those are required, I'll PM you.
I'm definitely interested, thank you.

TailChao

Whoops, I forgot to distribute the final version of the CD System DERP 4.0 which was included on everyone's cards.
(By which I mean the the flash somehow arranged itself to resemble this pattern of bits. I had nothing to do with it).

The first post has been updated appropriately, the only difference from the previously available patch was the addition of the predelay in order to work around the TurboGrafx's slow RESETn rise time.

TailChao

Alright, after the inconvenient discovery in this topic. I've prepped two new patched system cards and updated the first post appropriately.

To summarize - it is possible to enable the internal Super CD RAM in a Duo or SuperCD while a HuCard is inserted. This causes a bus fight, and the internal Super CD RAM will usually win. While this is usually not a huge issue for the Turbo Everdrive or Stupid Card when they're running a normal Super CD game, if the Stupid Card switches into linear mode its RAM contents may differ with the Super CD RAM.

Either way, two devices driving the bus simultaneously is not cool.

I'd like to wait a few weeks to ensure there are no other things which need to be altered. But suggest everyone update if you have a chip programmer handy. Once we've locked down any other changes needed (hopefully none), I'll mail a free replacement flash chip to anyone who doesn't have a chip programmer.

thesteve

as a side note, placing resistors in the data bus can prevent issues caused by a bus fight while determining the winner

TailChao

Quote from: thesteve on 10/28/2015, 09:56 PMas a side note, placing resistors in the data bus can prevent issues caused by a bus fight while determining the winner
Yes, but this also distorts the signal. In the case of the TurboGrafx, the bus is already a mess.
The proper solution is to remove the bus fight entirely.

thesteve

i wouldnt say distorts so much as reduces bandwith and eliminates echo
case in point i was recently working on a CDR2 drive and added a resistor in line with the eye pattern signal (digital)
the result was a signal that looked nice on the scope, while no functional difference was found (it got rid of all the ringing in the signal)

TailChao

Quote from: thesteve on 10/29/2015, 12:04 AMi wouldnt say distorts so much as reduces bandwith and eliminates echo
That's a better way to put it, yes.