@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Recent posts

Quote from: AFGRAFXSTAN on Yesterday at 10:13 PMDo you know if you would get CDDA out of the Express when using a TED Pro?  Thanks.
Just in mono. That's the audio limitation (loss of genuine stereo). Unless you were using headphones you were always getting a mono mix anyway from the single speaker in that case [portable].
I am a classic game and system collector myself,  I don't have many CIB units but I have about 40 retro consoles to my name.  Other than Magical Chase (Which I stupidly sold back in 2015 to help pay for a car) I have almost the entire US TG16 TurboChip collection, sans sports and some racing games.
With that said, when it comes to the use of Flashcarts or optical drive emulators like TED Pro/Mega SD/RHEA or the like, I would say that it is entirely fair and reasonable that use of said devices should not be held against said gamers.  The reason for this is that  CD hardware especially is much rarer and more prone to failure that the operation of solid state software/hardware.  A SNES/Genesis/TG16 will last far longer and is much cheaper and easier to come by than any kind of CD add-on to said consoles (if any). 
Gamers who are incredulous to the use of TED Pro-like products claiming them as emulator-wannabes, for lack of a better term, are simply misunderstanding the fundamental purpose of said devices. TED Pros may be expensive and they may defeat getting Johnny Turbo's own arcade feel while playing, but I myself have had to get my TurboGrafx CD and TurboDuo hardware expensively repaired multiple times in the last decade or so, sending my treasured consoles across international borders and paying out the nose because of rare and highly sought-after services and exchange rate woes to boot.
FPGA carts can offer the average gamer of meager means a firm and all-encompassing singular purchase entry into the world of classic gaming without having to break the bank with every extra hardware and software purchase.   In-game reset, cheat functions, save states and game selection menus right at hand are also a convenience that cannot be ignored.
This fact alone makes FPGA products a must-have for any gamer. 
On the subject of being redundant on the emulator/authentic hardware side, I personally would say that while FPGAs are not a make-or-break, the use of bluetooth or 2.4ghz wireless adapters for newer controllers to be used on classic systems is a complete no-go.  I say this because in my humble opinion, the ARCADE FEEL begins and ends with how you directly interact with the game itself through the controller.  You could have an authentic PC engine IFU with CD-ROMROM unit and PC Engine with an Arcade Card Pro with an original game disc playing, but if you use Humble Bazooka's Bluetooth PCE adapter then you are defeating the purpose of hardware gaming.  That in my opinion turns the console into an emulator.
There is input lag and you don't get the true feel of playing he game when you use an 8BITDO or a PS4 controller on your TG16 or PCE. That is antithetical to retro-gaming.
Just my long-winded response, no hard-feelings intended, haha.
Back on topic, Do you know if you would get CDDA out of the Express when using a TED Pro?  Thanks.
Thank you,

I will see if I can get the videos as battle heat is such a great game.
It's a "hybrid" 50/50 solution mixing a FGPA add-on with real NEC hardware. So imagine playing Dracula X PCECD for the first time on your Turbo Express / PCEGT or gaining quasi "ODE" support for base PCE consoles (anything with the expansion bus)!

This would've been very cool to me 20 years ago but I've already played Dracula X too many times to care that much, heh. However I try to think/promote in terms of uninitiated gamers/newcomers having all these new options/ways available to enjoy Hudson/NEC gaming legacy.

Oh right, a BIG missed opportunity that krikzz should've really implemented to make the Turbo Everdrive Pro the absolute best/ultimate PCE product was a micro-HDMI output near the SD/USB slot! It'd eliminate the competition of UperGrafx or Alex's Terra Onion "thingamajig" (the Super SSD3) that have HDMI output ports for modern/4K TVs. It'd also solve the CDDA stereo output problem! So unfortunately if you want pure digital/HDMI video you still need one of those "Turbo Booster" add-on products or to just go all FPGA with the Analogue Duo.
This would be another topic but... I've been talking with a friend regarding the TurboEverdrive Pro, and I don't understand at all why would anyone emulate a cdrom game on the FPGA but still use a real PCE (or PCE derivates).
If in the end you're just emulating, what's the difference of just using an emulator on a computer? It'll work even better since there's more development into it... PCE hardware it's only redirecting audio and video and controllers in and out.
I guess it's because it's using a FPGA, hence, hardware emulation instead of software emulation? But why use only real hardware on half of the things? If someone cares about real hardware just burn a CD and use the CDROM2, and if not, just use a Mister or an emulator, but not halfway! hahaha
Don't want to start a flame war :P Just wanted to thrown in here my opinion.
That's actually a really interesting prospect, playing CD games on a turbo express. I also have one of those, US edition. Would you get CD digital audio out of the speaker, though? I thought that was the point of the everdrive FX add on.
Ah, yeah, I sorta thought it was a missed opportunity that the early Turbo Everdrive couldn't act as an Arcade Card Duo/Pro as I own Strider and a black US Turbo Duo but never got around to buying both a region adapter and an Arcade Card.

I don't care now since I finished my PCE ACD Strider 20 years ago when I got the Magic Engine emulator running. I guess it finally happened though with the new TE Pro as well as offering CD emulation so you could play CD games on a portable Turbo Express but it's expensive and I already spent that money on the Analogue Duo clone.
Hi, Thanks for all the great information.  I actually have a Turbo Everdrive, as well as a Turbo Everdrive Pro.  The reason I was asking for the patched BIOS is because I wanted to use my existing or even another cheap base TED to run burned CD games on my TG16-CD setup.  I have both American system cards as well but I don't have an arcade card pro nor a converter, so that's why I wanted to see if I could use the base TED to act as a system card. 
I'll load those files to my base-TED and see if they work with something like Strider.  Thanks again!!
Quote from: NightWolve on 04/11/2024, 05:21 PMThere were other far more interesting ideas for custom/hacked system ROM firmware, like @dshadoff's "PC Engine System Card Translation Font Extension" which implements easy 8x12 English/ASCII font support. But the problem is if you tie your localization patch to depend on this, you'll need users to own a Turbo Everdrive in order to play it. Still, it's a more interesting/useful idea than what elmer did.

https://github.com/dshadoff/SYSCARD_Translatefont
QuoteIn this modification, the goal was to implement an extension which would cause
the least amount of disruption to the calling function, and yet satisfy the
translator's other requirements:
- use of ASCII for 1-byte character text
- font is included in the system card, not the game
- as little as possible adjustment to the print function

3) Set $FF in ZP to one of:
   0 = 16x16 font (SJIS only)
   1 = 12x12 font (SJIS only)
   2 =  8x16 font (ASCII only)  (**NEW**)
   3 =  8x12 font (ASCII only)  (**NEW**)

Many more PCECD RPG games could be localized without someone as talented as Supper[tails] or EsperKnight, but yeah, there's a catch: if you want to play it on real NEC hardware you'd need a Turbo Everdrive booted with this system firmware. I'm not a fan of creating more hardware dependencies, but I am a fan of seeing more localization projects so if that helps someone, I guess so be it.

There's actually ONE example that made use of it for the Magic and Magic localization, so you can already test it out:

Whoa I didn't know at all that was a thing :o I'm not a fan either of adding a hardware dependency when it didn't exist previously, as for example having to use the 8MB memory for the Ziria patch when the original one doesn't need it (even if that means longer loading waits), but I'd rather use that than not being able to play it at all :D
Quote from: Tak-MK on 04/10/2024, 07:05 PMAnyway, I guess the alternative OS you want is TEOS (maybe Krikzz already patched his, but no idea):
https://github.com/jbrandwood/teos
QuoteIt avoids the potentially damaging memory bus-fighting that occurs with Krikzz's OS when running the PC Engine (or TurboGrafx) Super System Card HuCARD on the Turbo Everdrive.
Yeah, Tak-MK provided the link you're looking for. I don't really know how useful that is nor why you're that "excited" for it seeing as you say you don't even own a Turbo Everdrive yet, but there you go...

I hope to just move on to the Analogue Duo when the jailbreak firmware improves for modern 4K TVs, I'll only keep my real Turbo Duo around for testing/debugging localization projects.

There were other far more interesting ideas for custom/hacked system ROM firmware, like @dshadoff's "PC Engine System Card Translation Font Extension" which implements easy 8x12 English/ASCII font support. But the problem is if you tie your localization patch to depend on this, you'll need users to own a Turbo Everdrive in order to play it. Still, it's a more interesting/useful idea than what elmer did.

https://github.com/dshadoff/SYSCARD_Translatefont

In this modification, the goal was to implement an extension which would cause
the least amount of disruption to the calling function, and yet satisfy the
translator's other requirements:
- use of ASCII for 1-byte character text
- font is included in the system card, not the game
- as little as possible adjustment to the print function

3) Set $FF in ZP to one of:
   0 = 16x16 font (SJIS only)
   1 = 12x12 font (SJIS only)
   2 =  8x16 font (ASCII only)  (**NEW**)
   3 =  8x12 font (ASCII only)  (**NEW**)

Many more PCECD RPG games could be localized without someone as talented as Supper[tails] or EsperKnight, but yeah, there's a catch: if you want to play it on real NEC hardware you'd need a Turbo Everdrive booted with this system firmware. I'm not a fan of creating more hardware dependencies, but I am a fan of seeing more localization projects so if that helps someone, I guess so be it.

There's actually ONE example that made use of it for the Magic and Magic localization, so you can already test it out: