10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nat

Quote from: guest on 08/22/2011, 02:17 PM
Quote from: nat on 08/19/2011, 09:20 PMExcept Naxat had nothing to do with the Crushes (except pressing and publishing, of course)... :) Compile developed and programmed the Crush games.

I have no idea who actually designed and programmed Psychosis, but I'd love to find out. It's possible Naxat did it in-house, I suppose.
Strange...Moby Games claims it was Naxat, as does Wikipedia. Of course, Wikipedia also says Compile developed them, so there goes that credibility.

Anyway, regarding Psychosis, it was apparently developed by Dual Corporation. At least, according to Moby Games.
http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/dual-corporation/

EDIT: Upon further research, it looks like Alien Crush and Devil's Crush were co-developed by Compile and Naxat. So perhaps we're both right? Maybe. So says the internet. So who the hell knows?
MobyGames is full of shit, so is Wikipedia.

It's fairly common knowledge the Crush games were developed entirely by Compile, although if you need proof I can probably dig up about 5,343,284,783 sources for you. RED Company played some role (how big a role is unknown) in concept design for Devil's Crush, but the game was still ultimately drawn, composed and coded exclusively by Compile.

Naxat is/was a publishing house for the most part, if not exclusively. I'm not aware of any games Naxat played a part in developing off the top of my head, but that's not to say there aren't any.

Naxat and Compile had a long-running partnership where Compile would handle development while Naxat handled pressing and publishing. This union eventually became known as "Nazac," which is not only an obvious play on the the Naxat and Compile labels, but an anagram of Compile's first shooter "Zanac."

The moral of the story here is don't rely on what you see on the title screen for information on who developed a game. The copyright holder is almost always the publishing house and in many cases the developer is not even listed. The title screen for Blazing Lazers says "(C) 1989 Hudson Soft" but BL is just yet another Compile developed title. You don't even find this out until the final credit scroll after you beat the game.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an extensive article appear somewhere in the not too distant future that clarifies a lot of these points.

Jesse813

RR1980

I am playing Shadow of the Beast and It Came from the Dessert! thanks Dalder!

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: RR1980 on 08/23/2011, 05:26 AMI am playing Shadow of the Beast and It Came from the Dessert! thanks Dalder!
Beast is EPIC! 

Spent another hour late last night clearing some more of Emerald Dragon.  Did the level up dance, added the bald Cleric/healing priest dude to my part by defeating the wall monster statue thing!!  Just kick ass, this game is so getting the soundtrack treatment!

After that, I got pwnd by Image Fight II again.  I'm actually regressing in this one.  Getting worse every time I play it.  I have it set to Normal and cannot beat the first boss, I've gotten to a point where I can do the entire first stage on one guy, completely loaded up on addons and badass weapons, but the boss is killing me!  I have beaten it, I have even played through the second stage, but am totally stuck on stage 3, so I thought this would be a good time to play through the first two stages to get a little more practice in.. and I'm actually getting worse.... :C
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

jlued686

Quote from: nat on 08/22/2011, 10:30 PMMobyGames is full of shit, so is Wikipedia.

It's fairly common knowledge the Crush games were developed entirely by Compile, although if you need proof I can probably dig up about 5,343,284,783 sources for you. RED Company played some role (how big a role is unknown) in concept design for Devil's Crush, but the game was still ultimately drawn, composed and coded exclusively by Compile.

Naxat is/was a publishing house for the most part, if not exclusively. I'm not aware of any games Naxat played a part in developing off the top of my head, but that's not to say there aren't any.

Naxat and Compile had a long-running partnership where Compile would handle development while Naxat handled pressing and publishing. This union eventually became known as "Nazac," which is not only an obvious play on the the Naxat and Compile labels, but an anagram of Compile's first shooter "Zanac."

The moral of the story here is don't rely on what you see on the title screen for information on who developed a game. The copyright holder is almost always the publishing house and in many cases the developer is not even listed. The title screen for Blazing Lazers says "(C) 1989 Hudson Soft" but BL is just yet another Compile developed title. You don't even find this out until the final credit scroll after you beat the game.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an extensive article appear somewhere in the not too distant future that clarifies a lot of these points.
Nice. Thanks for the info. The web of misinformation on the internet regarding classic games is a pain in the ass. It'd be nice if there was one reliable source for this shit.

Anyway, back to Psychosis, despite the tangled development where it turns out Naxat didn't even develop the Crush games, Psychosis does remind me a lot of those games as far as the art style and enemy design goes.

Jesse813

Nagoyan

These past few months I've been playing through the first Cosmic Fantasy and just finally finished it the other night. From a gameplay standpoint it's extremely rough, but the story and characters kept me playing. I guess I found the premise of the hero crash landing on a planet and then proceeding to solve every single person's problems before finally taking down the big bad guy to be just what I wanted to play. Even the battle system had some interesting things going on, especially once you get Saya as your other party member. The thing that left me perplexed though was how in each "chapter" of the game you usually befriend a character who then follows your party around, but doesn't take part in battles! In all, it was a cool experience and it answered a lot of questions about who some of the characters are when they appear in CF2.   

blueraven

DragonmasterDan

I started playing New Adventure Island again, I'm generally good at platformers but this one is throwing me a curveball.

Just on a side note, any good PCE exclusive platformers that I should take note of? I think I own all the US released ones
--DragonmasterDan

Jesse813

roflmao

Quote from: Jesse813 on 08/23/2011, 11:15 PMPuyo Puyo CD :)
I fell in love with The Puyo game for the Neo Geo Pocket, then found out that they released a Puyo game for the Genesis (Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine or some such nonsense) and didn't like it at all.  Then I picked up the PC Engine version and it's somewhere in the middle.  It's still not my favorite, but it's growing on me. :D

nat

The Duo version is an almost perfect port of the arcade original. Truly exceptional.

Jesse813

it is indeed an awesome game  8)

now playing Panic Bomber :)

Ceti Alpha

Returned to some Soldier Blade goodness last night. It had been far too long. Such a gem.
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

roflmao

Played me some Super Star Soldier today.  Finally got past the 4th level boss in I don't know how long.  Man that boss is hard. :)

Jesse813

hoobs88

1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

Mishran

Just completed Dragon Slayer. Back to attempting to complete Therons Quest after a several month pause.

farankoshan

I'm playing the "trying to fix my Super CD-Rom2 to get a better experience of it" game. :)

But on my CoreGrafx II, I like to pop in After Burner 2 when I've had a long day. Somehow the speed helps "blast" me away from the day's droll quicker... :)
"MISSION INCOMPLETE: I cannot fuck up for this."
- Download, PC-Engine (1990)

Jesse813

jlued686

Played a bit of Sinistron last night. Is there some sort of connection with R-Type and this game, or is it just a complete ripoff?

SuperPlay

Quote from: guest on 08/23/2011, 11:50 PM
Quote from: Jesse813 on 08/23/2011, 11:15 PMPuyo Puyo CD :)
I fell in love with The Puyo game for the Neo Geo Pocket, then found out that they released a Puyo game for the Genesis (Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine or some such nonsense) and didn't like it at all.  Then I picked up the PC Engine version and it's somewhere in the middle.  It's still not my favorite, but it's growing on me. :D
Puyo Puyo is one of my favourite games :-) First time I saw this series was on the Super Famicom.

Been having a blast on outrun tonight, forgot how good the PCE conversion is :-)  Dam I must stop playing these cards and get YS finished ;-)

Jesse813

Mishran

Theron's Quest finally KO'd. Think I'll make my first ever attempt at completing Cosmic Fantasy 2 next. Should be a hell of a ride!

thesteve

beat CF2 a few weeks ago (long game)
great ride tho

nat

Quote from: guest on 08/25/2011, 11:21 AMPlayed a bit of Sinistron last night. Is there some sort of connection with R-Type and this game, or is it just a complete ripoff?
Huh? How far into it did you play?

I'm hard pressed to think of any similarities between the two aside from the fact they're both horizontal shooters that require memorization.

shubibiman

I'm currently playing Cosmic Fantasy 3 : this game is the biggest piece of RPG shit I've ever played on the DUO. Man how horrible it is! The Brothers Duomazov seem to like it and I really feel like we have played a different game when I read their review. It's strange as I usually 100% agree with their comments.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

thesteve

Jesse813

shubibiman

Quote from: thesteve on 08/27/2011, 03:41 PMI didnt think CF3 ever happened
Yeah, it shouldn't have happened actually. It's so disappointing after the first 2 episodes that looked old but were still very fun to play.
It's just like movies : Batman, Batman Returns and then...Batman & Robin?! WTF?!

BlueBMW

Played some multiplayer Bomberman 93, Battle Load Runner and Color Wars with Henler :P  Love me some color wars!
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Jesse813

thesteve

Dyna138

Been away from the Turbo a couple weeks, but came back strong with a little Super Star Soldier action.  :)

Jesse813

roflmao

Blazing Lazers - Made it to the final level AGAIN, but still haven't beaten it...  One of these days... :)

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: shubibiman on 08/27/2011, 05:37 PMYeah, it shouldn't have happened actually. It's so disappointing after the first 2 episodes that looked old but were still very fun to play.
It's just like movies : Batman, Batman Returns and then...Batman & Robin?! WTF?!
Batman Forever came next, then Batman & Robin.

Just on a side note with regards to Cosmic Fantasy 3 since that's what started this topic. It was planned for a US release. However, Working Designs cancelled it in early 1994 due to the demise retail support for the Duo in the US.
--DragonmasterDan

farankoshan

Darius Plus/Super Darius. Trying to get through Level F.
"MISSION INCOMPLETE: I cannot fuck up for this."
- Download, PC-Engine (1990)

Jesse813

shubibiman

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 08/28/2011, 07:32 AMBatman Forever came next, then Batman & Robin.
Thanks for this reminder, I just got confused but you got my point ;)

Jesse813

Lilgrafx

Beat Splatter House today the final boss was disappointing but Its a good game.

allyourblood

New guy here!

Currently, I'm playing lots of Blazing Lazers. I'm also in the middle of reacquiring games from my dearly departed collection, as well as adding new ones. Even though I used to own Bravoman, I don't think I ever played it more than five minutes. I had completely forgotten about all the wacky text and characters ("I'm Japanese phone box"), so playing that again is fun. Also getting back into Bonk's Revenge, and when I can sit still long enough, I'm also working my way through my third or fourth playthrough of Neutopia (part II waits in the wings!).
If anyone gets any leads on a "fair priced" copy of Coryoon, please lemme know!

Where is fancy bred?

NecroPhile

Quote from: Lilgrafx on 08/29/2011, 10:30 PMBeat Splatter House today the final boss was disappointing but Its a good game.
How so?  Too easy?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Dyna138

Quote from: guest on 08/28/2011, 12:00 AMBlazing Lazers - Made it to the final level AGAIN, but still haven't beaten it...  One of these days... :)
I'm in the same boat right now with Super Star Soldier. I get to the last boss, final form, but so far no dice. I'm getting there though its only a matter of time.  8)

Quote from: allyourblood on 08/30/2011, 02:59 PMNew guy here!

Currently, I'm playing lots of Blazing Lazers. I'm also in the middle of reacquiring games from my dearly departed collection, as well as adding new ones. Even though I used to own Bravoman, I don't think I ever played it more than five minutes. I had completely forgotten about all the wacky text and characters ("I'm Japanese phone box"), so playing that again is fun. Also getting back into Bonk's Revenge, and when I can sit still long enough, I'm also working my way through my third or fourth playthrough of Neutopia (part II waits in the wings!).
Hey welcome! You sound like me 15 years ago. There's something about the Turbo/PC engine that burns in your memory and always pulls you back into playing.

Jesse813

Lilgrafx

Quote from: guest on 08/30/2011, 03:18 PM
Quote from: Lilgrafx on 08/29/2011, 10:30 PMBeat Splatter House today the final boss was disappointing but Its a good game.
How so?  Too easy?
Yeah I beat him on my first life and I don't consider myself very good at video games. A decent challenge for a final boss makes the game so much more rewarding to beat. Also a head that pops out of the grounds pretty lame. It's no where near as cool as a giant with fucking chainsaw hands.

thrush

Took a break from Van & Company today to enjoy some Bonk's Adventure.  I really like the music in level 2-1!  I've never gotten very far in this game but maybe I'll tackle it seriously after I finish CF2.

Quote from: allyourblood on 08/30/2011, 02:59 PMNew guy here!
Welcome aboard!  Always nice to see a new face.

Quote from: Dyna138 on 08/30/2011, 04:22 PMThere's something about the Turbo/PC engine that burns in your memory and always pulls you back into playing.
So, so true....

neoxeno

I'm playing Darkwing Duck right now, that game is bad but not as bad as Talespin. I hate Talespin, it makes me mad!!!!  :evil:
Search : SUPERGRAFX
You may have meant to search for soporifics.

andrew23

I'm playing Aero Blasters now. What a great shmup!  :D Can't wait to get my hand on more tgfx. It isn't called the Entertainment SuperSystem for nothing..
Also playing Ninja Spirit.
Why do I need to sign here? ;P