@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obfuscate

I've always disliked how long Blazing Lasers is and how easy it is until you get to the final level. Basically 40 minutes of mindless flying if you have a shield and are semi careful then it gets crazy. One of these days I'll syke myself up enough to play it again and try Estebans pea shooter trick if I need to.

Have been playing a lot of Rayxanber 2. Have beat it a dozen times now trying to 1cc it. Have made it to the final boss 2 times now on my first credit and have lost then get down to the pea shooter and he's too hard for me to beat like that. One of these times it's bound to happen!

esteban

Quote from: Obfuscate on 02/23/2012, 09:15 AMI've always disliked how long Blazing Lasers is and how easy it is until you get to the final level. Basically 40 minutes of mindless flying if you have a shield and are semi careful then it gets crazy. One of these days I'll syke myself up enough to play it again and try Estebans pea shooter trick if I need to.

Have been playing a lot of Rayxanber 2. Have beat it a dozen times now trying to 1cc it. Have made it to the final boss 2 times now on my first credit and have lost then get down to the pea shooter and he's too hard for me to beat like that. One of these times it's bound to happen!
Dude, stop playing Blazing Lazers on default difficulty. Go for GOD OF GAME. It is truly awesome.  :pcds:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

bartre

still haven't finishede Ys book ii, it seems to be significantly longer that book 1, not that i'm complaining.
interrupting that with shooties, mostly download and lords of thunder lately.

esteban

Quote from: bartre on 02/23/2012, 12:36 PMstill haven't finishede Ys book ii, it seems to be significantly longer that book 1, not that i'm complaining.
interrupting that with shooties, mostly download and lords of thunder lately.
Ys II, of course, is awesome. I'm actually jealous/envious of folks who get to play it with virgin eyes and ears.

:pcds:

turbokon

Quote from: Obfuscate on 02/23/2012, 09:15 AMI've always disliked how long Blazing Lasers is and how easy it is until you get to the final level. Basically 40 minutes of mindless flying if you have a shield and are semi careful then it gets crazy. One of these days I'll syke myself up enough to play it again and try Estebans pea shooter trick if I need to.

Man, you guys are good at shooters!! I can't even pass the first stage on Rayzanber 2!
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

BlueBMW

I've been playing Sylphia a lot... while its good, its not really worth its price tag.  I'd say its a $50 game max...
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

NecroPhile

Quote from: BlueBMW on 02/24/2012, 12:37 AMI've been playing Sylphia a lot... while its good, its not really worth its price tag.  I'd say its a $50 game max...
Quit equating a game's price to the quality of gameplay, dammit!
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

roflmao

Lol.  I thought I had finally made it to the last level of Soldier Blade the other day (yesterday?) but after watching mushaaleste's youtube videos, apparantly there's yet ANOTHER lever after the boss run guy....  Yeesh, this game gets crazy.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 02/24/2012, 10:07 AM
Quote from: BlueBMW on 02/24/2012, 12:37 AMI've been playing Sylphia a lot... while its good, its not really worth its price tag.  I'd say its a $50 game max...
Quit equating a game's price to the quality of gameplay, dammit!
I hear you. But I can't help but comment on the price:entertainment ratio when discussing games. :pcds: I also include the quality of the soundtrack (since I spend more time listening to game music than actually playing games these days) in my equation.

But, in an effort to make the world a better place, how about this:

BlueBMW (and others):

1. Is Sylphia as engaging as (a) Avenger or (b) Ballistix?

2. How is the Sylphia soundtrack?

Thanks in advance.

Disclaimer: I will not be getting Sylphia for a long, long time. If ever.

Bernie

I bought a few and got them from hitjapan today.  Energy, which is just terrible..  Heavy Unit, OMG its hard!  Final Soldier, I love it. Mr.Helis Adv, the jury is out on this one...its nice looking tho, and Break In..this is what it is.  a boring little pool game, but I like it..

DragonmasterDan

Today I got three games in the mail which I've been playing, first and most notably Camp California. I also received Raiden and.... Deep Blue...
--DragonmasterDan

kiketonto

Quote from: Bernie on 02/25/2012, 05:22 PMEnergy, which is just terrible.. 
Really? I see a lot of screenshots and videos and...seems it will like to me

Lilgrafx

Played R-Type and Raiden today got to level 3 in both. Wasn't really playing seriously just wanted to get my shooter fill for the day.

esteban

Quote from: kiketonto on 02/25/2012, 07:29 PM
Quote from: Bernie on 02/25/2012, 05:22 PMEnergy, which is just terrible.. 
Really? I see a lot of screenshots and videos and...seems it will like to me
The screenshots, unfortunately, do not reveal how poorly executed the game is (controls, screen scrolling, battles = cumbersome).

I'm still amazed that folks here have played more than a few minutes of it.

That said, I never let little things like that prevent me from investing hours and hours into a game. I will play Energy and make significant progress in it. :pcgs:

kiketonto

Quote from: esteban on 02/26/2012, 01:55 PMThe screenshots, unfortunately, do not reveal how poorly executed the game is (controls, screen scrolling, battles = cumbersome)
Yes, that scrolling left me  :-k but obviously the control....untill I don¡t play the game by myself I don't  goona be able to judge it.
It's a very cheap Hucard and an action game, that's important because it's playable to me (level of japanese: none)

esteban

Quote from: kiketonto on 02/26/2012, 03:56 PM
Quote from: esteban on 02/26/2012, 01:55 PMThe screenshots, unfortunately, do not reveal how poorly executed the game is (controls, screen scrolling, battles = cumbersome)
Yes, that scrolling left me  :-k but obviously the control....untill I don¡t play the game by myself I don't  goona be able to judge it.
It's a very cheap Hucard and an action game, that's important because it's playable to me (level of japanese: none)
I think it is worth getting this game for several reasons:

(1) it is cheap
(2) the cover art alone is worth the price of admission
(3) you experience first-hand what everyone has described as a sad, sad PCE game.
(4) you, like me, will be determined to squeeze every bit of entertainment out of the game
(5) you, like me, are a goddamn masochist

:pcgs:

blueraven

DesmondThe3rd

I been playing Out Run and Splatterhouse again for some nostalgia. I hate the sixth stage in SH.

kiketonto

Quote from: esteban on 02/26/2012, 05:39 PMI think it is worth getting this game for several reasons:
(1) it is cheap
(2) the cover art alone is worth the price of admission
(3) you experience first-hand what everyone has described as a sad, sad PCE game.
(4) you, like me, will be determined to squeeze every bit of entertainment out of the game
(5) you, like me, are a goddamn masochist
Let me think... :-k
the number 5!  ](*,)
HAHAHA! No, really the art it's so cute, but basically be an action game it's the first option to me.

Quote from: DesmondThe3rd on 02/27/2012, 01:51 AMI been playing Out Run and Splatterhouse again for some nostalgia. I hate the sixth stage in SH.
I know what are you talking about... #-o

SuperPlay

Finished Aoi Blink yesterday and I have managed to get an hour in on Dungeon Explorer.  Not played this one before, so far so good!

Lilgrafx

Quote from: SuperPlay on 02/27/2012, 03:43 PMFinished Aoi Blink yesterday and I have managed to get an hour in on Dungeon Explorer.  Not played this one before, so far so good!
Get 4 friends over ASAP! Then that games amazing.

SuperPlay

Lilgrafx

HercTNT

Finally finished star parodier. I'm also still battling my way through ys 4.

roflmao

I spent a good chunk of this evening playing Final Lap Twin.  The recent raffle got me reminiscing about the last time I played through it and realized it was over 10 years ago.  And it feels like just yesterday.  My 8 and 16 bit racing game experience doesn't cover a lot of games, but I still think this hold up pretty well as one of the better ones.  IMO, it's up there with F-Zero and Mario Kart for the SNES.  And it's an RPG! Sweet!

EDIT: This is my 1000th post here!  Woot!  Punchy Pedro!

nat

Namco had a really turbulent track record when it came to the Duo. They had some hits, and a large quantity of misses.

Final Lap Twin is definitely one of the former.

turbofan1

Played about two,three hours worth of Dungeon Explorer II over the weekend.I got pretty lost in to the story,as to wth is exactly going on.I like the game play,but the graphics are pretty mediocre at best.

roflmao

Quote from: nat on 03/06/2012, 09:00 PMNamco had a really turbulent track record when it came to the Duo. They had some hits, and a large quantity of misses.

Were there any other Namco titles brought over to the states?  I'm not near my collection to see if I have any others.  And is there a reason they are called "Namcot" in the game?  I always assumed they were Namco, but could never reason why they added the "t".

VestCunt

Quote from: turbofan1 on 03/07/2012, 09:19 AMPlayed about two,three hours worth of Dungeon Explorer II over the weekend.I got pretty lost in to the story,as to wth is exactly going on.I like the game play,but the graphics are pretty mediocre at best.
The grafx are great!  A little on the dark side, but you have to remember the game is from 1989.  Most of the population was sitting around playing the brand-new Dragon Warrior.
Topic Adjourned.

NecroPhile

Quote from: guest on 03/07/2012, 11:44 AMAnd is there a reason they are called "Namcot" in the game?  I always assumed they were Namco, but could never reason why they added the "t".
Namco = arcade games and Namcot = home games; just to keep the divisions separate and distinct, I suppose.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 03/07/2012, 04:07 PM
Quote from: turbofan1 on 03/07/2012, 09:19 AMPlayed about two,three hours worth of Dungeon Explorer II over the weekend.I got pretty lost in to the story,as to wth is exactly going on.I like the game play,but the graphics are pretty mediocre at best.
The grafx are great!  A little on the dark side, but you have to remember the game is from 1989.  Most of the population was sitting around playing the brand-new Dragon Warrior.
Indeed, the grafx were "inspired" by Gauntlet and ARPG's of the period...plus, you had to support five players simultaneously without breaking the enjoyment! DE & DE II have superior grafx (IMHO) than the Sega-CD version of DE. I AM GRATEFUL that Hudson did not make PCE DE II like the one they offered Sega's audience. On the surface, the Sega-CD version has superior graphics...and gameplay...but the game ends up missing something essential.

roflmao

Quote from: guest on 03/07/2012, 04:18 PMNamco = arcade games and Namcot = home games; just to keep the divisions separate and distinct, I suppose.
Aha!  Thanks!  Good to know.

nat

Quote from: guest on 03/07/2012, 11:44 AM
Quote from: nat on 03/06/2012, 09:00 PMNamco had a really turbulent track record when it came to the Duo. They had some hits, and a large quantity of misses.

Were there any other Namco titles brought over to the states?
Lots: Splatterhouse, Samurai Ghost, World Court Tennis, Pac-Land, Galaga 90, Ordyne, Bravoman, Dragon Spirit, etc.

Most of the real stinkers never left Japan, but we did get World Court Tennis, Ordyne, and Bravoman. And personally, I don't think Dragon Spirit is anything to write home about.

turbofan1

Quote from: guest on 03/07/2012, 04:07 PM
I'm A little confused.Dungeon Explorer II came out in 1989?,or are you referring to the first one?.The graphics are A mixed bag,its good in some areas,but dark and drab others.I do like the game.My favorite character is the little dwarf guy that throws the axes.If I could only find three,four other people to play the game with. :)

Mishran

Been rocking Magical Chase and Soldier Blade thanks to the recently aquired flash cart. Also played some Megaman and messed around with Bonknuts' other NES ports. Bonk man, you need to get that Contra game up to par. Those wonky sfx just don't cut it with this Contra fanatic. :P Any other homebrew you fellas would recommend giving a go?

chany60126

Just beat Cosmic Fantasy 1 on the PCE. I got through it with no knowledge of Japanese. I like the character art and bios you can look at after you beat the game. Nice anime cut scenes throughout.

Mishran

Completed the first loop of Dead Moon.  Shut the system off after beating the first stage of the second loop because I had to leave for work. ](*,)

Damon Plus

JJ and Jeff. It has a Wonderboy vibe, but with more secrets. I love the soundtrack and the frantic pace at which the game runs in later levels.

esteban

Quote from: nat on 03/07/2012, 08:29 PMAnd personally, I don't think Dragon Spirit is anything to write home about.
Dragon Spirit is great! Do you not like the game in general or do you not like the PCE port?

Either way, the PCE Dragon Spirit is truly a wonderful little HuCARD. :pcds:

IMG Cook absolutely loves Sabaku, Hyouga, Kodai, Kazan, Hanakumo, Hinotori, Doukutsu, Yamata, ...*

* Nearly every song is a gorgeous track

meka

Jackie Chan, does anyone know of any good Japanese Hu-Card platform or adventure games that don't require any knowledge of Japanese.

chany60126

Quote from: meka on 03/14/2012, 02:36 AMJackie Chan, does anyone know of any good Japanese Hu-Card platform or adventure games that don't require any knowledge of Japanese.
Son Son II and Bikurriman World

tpivette

Currently playing SideArms and Dungeon explorer until my PC Engine Duo gets here and I can finally start Dragon Slayer.

In SideArms, I can make it to the 6th stage before dying (as a kid, I remember beating the game).

I've beaten Dungeon Explorer with the Fighter, Theif, Warlock, Elf, and Princess. Working on the Witch right now. Looking to finish the game with all 10 characters
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

PukeSter

Mostly Street Fighter II. That game is just boss : 8)

Also, occasionally Pac-Land. I can get to Stage 16 before dying.

And also just got a new Turbo Stick. Very disappointing. Horrible for shmups(tough to pull of diagonal movement), and can't pull of Ryu's shoryukens :cry:

nat

Quote from: esteban on 03/14/2012, 02:33 AM
Quote from: nat on 03/07/2012, 08:29 PMAnd personally, I don't think Dragon Spirit is anything to write home about.
Dragon Spirit is great! Do you not like the game in general or do you not like the PCE port?
Both. The game itself, as originally designed for the arcade, is not all that good to begin with. It's just... not very fun. Huge hitbox, poorly designed stages, etc... The Turbo port further mars things with decidedly poor visuals. The Turbo port could have been much, much better. The instrumentation on Dragon Spirit (Turbo version) is pretty good, but the musical compositions don't excite me.

The followup, Dragon Saber, addresses virtually all of these issues with superior stage design, no long boring stretches, smoother gameplay that doesn't make the big hitbox as much of an issue, and superior visuals. Also, more interesting compositions.

Quote from: guest on 03/16/2012, 10:17 PMAnd also just got a new Turbo Stick. Very disappointing. Horrible for shmups(tough to pull of diagonal movement), and can't pull of Ryu's shoryukens :cry:
The U.S. TurboStick (which I'm assuming is the version you bought) is an "economy" version of the JP TurboStick. The JP original is bottom-weighted which makes controlling with it much, much better. It's otherwise almost virtually identical except for color and the size of the connector. It's amazing how much difference that bottom-weight makes, though.

esteban

Quote from: nat on 03/17/2012, 06:06 PM
Quote from: esteban on 03/14/2012, 02:33 AM
Both. The game itself, as originally designed for the arcade, is not all that good to begin with. It's just... not very fun. Huge hitbox, poorly designed stages, etc... The Turbo port further mars things with decidedly poor visuals. The Turbo port could have been much, much better. The instrumentation on Dragon Spirit (Turbo version) is pretty good, but the musical compositions don't excite me.

The followup, Dragon Saber, addresses virtually all of these issues with superior stage design, no long boring stretches, smoother gameplay that doesn't make the big hitbox as much of an issue, and superior visuals. Also, more interesting compositions.
Well, that explains it! Our views on Dragon Spirit (arcade version or otherwise) are diametrically opposed :pcgs:.

This actually is a good thing to find out, because now I understand where you are coming from.

I won't try* to sway your opinion (since you are repulsed by Dragon Spirit IMG), but here's my scoop on the Spirit vs. Saber:

*I will try to sway other folks here on the forums, though. I can't let them think that Saber is the better game! :pcgs:

(1) Perhaps a bit sluggish when directly compared to Saber, Dragon Spirit totally holds its own. Dragon Spirit is a solid game in the arcade and the PCE version is solid. I mean solid. Hit box? It's fine! You gotta have skills! You gotta dodge! I think the trend toward smaller (1 pixel!) hitboxes over the past 15+ years is sad. We need some gargantuan hitboxes that require skillz :pcgs:.

(1 1/4) I'll grant you that there are segments of Dragon Spirit where the action slows down, but this isn't necessarily a problem: it's nice to have a respite to take a deep breath before the action heats up again. I like the air and ground enemies that must be destroyed (I wipe out every last one, I hate it when I miss a ground enemy). It keeps things interesting. Cyber Core copied this to its benefit. Now, since I like to listen to the music in Dragon Spirit whilst playing, I don't put up the turbo switches and hold down the I & II buttons for the whole game. I don't use turbo and I give my thumb a break whenever I can. I think this is an important consideration (thumb fatigue) that I did not even consider in the other thread (about arcade ports on consoles and how lame it is to exploit rapid-fire unless the arcade featured it as a standard function). I don't expect everyone to agree with my philosophy, but I enjoy it :pcgs:.

(1.6) The only thing that is maddening about Spirit is that the SHITTY SFX (air-to-ground bombs) have priority over the soundtrack, IRREPARABLY ruining the many glorious PSG tunes in the game. Not all the songs are great, mind you, but a majority are. SFX should NEVER have priority over soundtrack, IMO. I know you aren't a big fan of the soundtrack. This makes me sad IMG

(2) So, Dragon Saber is NOT superior to Spirit. Saber features mosquitoes. Where are the dragons? Now, Saber has some slick! graphical effects with the background (i.e. the earth ripping open and exposing lava!) which really WOWS! the player and makes Spirit's stages appear static and dull. THIS IS A LIE. Saber's stages are not fundamentally better (design or otherwise) when it comes to challenge and enjoyment. And isn't this the most important thing? Dragon Spirit provides an entertaining romp that is not inherently weaker than Saber.

(3.5) It's true, Saber has slicker graphics (for the levels/stages), but the mosquito-sized sprites in the game totally negate this improvement!

(4) The music in Saber is mild at best. Spirit's music is extra spicy. I prefer the latter.

(5) Having said all of this, I enjoy both games. I just have to defend Spirit's honor. :pcgs:

Quote from: guest on 03/16/2012, 10:17 PMAnd also just got a new Turbo Stick. Very disappointing. Horrible for shmups(tough to pull of diagonal movement), and can't pull of Ryu's shoryukens :cry:
The U.S. TurboStick (which I'm assuming is the version you bought) is an "economy" version of the JP TurboStick. The JP original is bottom-weighted which makes controlling with it much, much better. It's otherwise almost virtually identical except for color and the size of the connector. It's amazing how much difference that bottom-weight makes, though.
I was always wondering about the difference(s) between the US and Japanese Sticks, thanks for the scoop. :pcgs:

The NES Advantage had a decent bottom-weight and really felt solid. I haven't used one since I was a kid (late 80's), but the TurboStick felt so flimsy and insubstantial compared to the NES Advantage.

Lilgrafx

Dungeon Explorer WITH 5 PEOPLE WOAH!! It was my first time playing with 5 people and it was fucking amazing. We all got really intense and at one point when someone grabbed a white potion before our priest could get to it and my friend playing the priest jumped up and said "You fucking Bitch!", my other friend turned to him and yelled "This is why none of us have girlfriends."

roflmao

Quote from: Lilgrafx on 03/26/2012, 08:13 PMDungeon Explorer WITH 5 PEOPLE WOAH!! It was my first time playing with 5 people and it was fucking amazing. We all got really intense and at one point when someone grabbed a white potion before our priest could get to it and my friend playing the priest jumped up and said "You fucking Bitch!", my other friend turned to him and yelled "This is why none of us have girlfriends."
Nice. :D

gekioh

I gave Cyber Core some love this morning/afternoon before work. Probably gonna play it some more when I get home.

420GOAT

just flipped pcengine version of ninja spirit. now i need the arcade version.
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the fucking car.

esteban

Quote from: gekioh on 03/26/2012, 10:56 PMI gave Cyber Core some love this morning/afternoon before work. Probably gonna play it some more when I get home.
I have a soft spot in my heart for CyberCore. I wish it had a bit more intensity/flair, but it is a decent game  :pcgs:. A poor man's Dragon Spirit.

Quote from: 420GOAT on 03/27/2012, 04:04 PMjust flipped pcengine version of ninja spirit. now i need the arcade version.
You probably are referring to the "Arcade Mode" available on the HuCARD...one-hit death. But, if you are referring to the actual arcade game, well, I've always wanted to compare them to see how good/bad the PCE port was.   :pcgs: