What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

esteban

Quote from: wallzter on 02/02/2013, 10:52 AMBeen playing R-type on my Tg-16. Keep getting my butt whooped!!! Is it possible to beat this game without doing the extra credits trick? Has anyone here done it?
STATUS: Yes and yes. However, it took years and I love the stupid game. I also don't have Aspberger's Syndrome (like the folks at various forums who tackle challenging games easily).

MOTIVATIONAL SPEAKER: With that said...BE PROUD THAT YOU ARE TACKLING R-TYPE like your average bastard. Take a few years... IMG
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

wallzter

I'm now determined to beat it and do it in less time then you did Esteban!

Bardoly

Played some Avenger today and could only get to the third stage boss.  It's not too difficult, but I'm just having a problem finding my 'groove' with this game for some reason.  I'm going to keep at it though.

seieienbu

Quote from: wallzter on 02/02/2013, 10:52 AMBeen playing R-type on my Tg-16. Keep getting my butt whooped!!! Is it possible to beat this game without doing the extra credits trick? Has anyone here done it?
I beat it for the first time about a month ago.  It's doable, just hard.

Started playing Tricky Kick, seems fun.  I don't know how far I'll get, I generally give up on puzzle games like this before I finish them.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

MrFlutterPie

Just played Devils Crush for the first time today.  I'm not into pinball but holy shit this game is AWESOME!!!!

SuperPlay

After a while trying to make my way through Maison Ikkoku I decided last night to give it a rest and try a game that I have not played for a long time ..... Legendary Axe II .... quite enjoying it :-)

soop

Quote from: Bernie on 01/31/2013, 03:48 PMDecided to fire up the Turbo Duo this afternoon, and play some MAKAI PRINCE DORABOCCHAN aka Kid Dracula.  Pretty simple game, but it is a lot of fun.  I found I couldn't put it down, and kept pushing through.  I played through to the 3rd stage, and in that time I found a lot of different paths to take, finding different armors or power ups.  I am sure I have just scratched the surface with it.  The only complaint I have, and its not really a big complaint, is the music..  Its kinda....dull?  Maybe that's not the right word, but it wasn't what I expected.  All in all though, I would say the game is worth the buy.  :) 

http://www.pcengine.co.uk/HTML_Games/Makai_Prince_Dorabocchan.htm
Nice.  I quite like this game too.  At first it seems a bit empty and cheap - you can do lots of exploring, but there doesn't seem to be much point.  Then I realised that the tomatoes are used to deplete the bosses energy before the fight, and everything slotted into place.

I'm gonna have to go back and finish it one day after playing right to the last boss last time.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

RainMaker

Been playing super star soldier. Can't get those catchy background tunes out of my head.

esteban

Quote from: Bardoly on 02/04/2013, 01:09 AMPlayed some Avenger today and could only get to the third stage boss.  It's not too difficult, but I'm just having a problem finding my 'groove' with this game for some reason.  I'm going to keep at it though.
There was something I liked about this game, despite being steeped in mediocrity. OH YES I LIKE THE MUSIC!

Quote from: RainMaker on 02/05/2013, 02:27 PMBeen playing super star soldier. Can't get those catchy background tunes out of my head.
These songs sound even better now than back in the day. You see, now I realize that tunes like this aren't as abundant as they should be!

DildoKKKobold

Neo Nectaris. Thanks to Esteban's page, I now also need to import Earth Light and Earth Light Luna Strike... probably Nectaris GB as well.

For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

Damon Plus

About to start Neutopia for the first time thanks to tpivette's raffle. I've never played it with an emulator or the original system either,  so it will feel totally fresh for me.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 02/07/2013, 02:02 AMNeo Nectaris. Thanks to Esteban's page, I now also need to import Earth Light and Earth Light Luna Strike... probably Nectaris GB as well.
Earth Light = absolutely. It oozes so much charm and offers a much larger arsenal of weapons.

Luna Strike? Don't get your hopes up.

Earth Light --> Luna Strike is akin to Vasteel --> Vasteel 2 (the sequels might be solid games, but they are generic compared to the charming qualities of the original games.  IMG

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: esteban on 02/07/2013, 07:14 AM
Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 02/07/2013, 02:02 AMNeo Nectaris. Thanks to Esteban's page, I now also need to import Earth Light and Earth Light Luna Strike... probably Nectaris GB as well.
Earth Light = absolutely. It oozes so much charm and offers a much larger arsenal of weapons.

Luna Strike? Don't get your hopes up.

Earth Light --> Luna Strike is akin to Vasteel --> Vasteel 2 (the sequels might be solid games, but they are generic compared to the charming qualities of the original games.  IMG
I figure, Luna Strike can be had for ridiculously cheap, and if its sort of "in the Nectaris Family" I should still grab it. The total (before shipping) for those three games is around 1000 yen. I should also mention, your FAQ is extremely important. I never ever would have figured out that KanonFodder unit on my own.

I love the CD quality music of Neo Nectaris. I dislike that some of the levels don't really allow for ingenuity, it appears that the level designer intended one solution, and made the level so that is the only solution that works. It turns a military strategy game into more of a puzzle game. Anyway, not every level is like that, and its a minor irritant on an otherwise fantastic game.

DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

Bernie

Back to Ys Book II.  Gonna try and finish it.

Bardoly

Played some more Avenger, and still couldn't get past the speed tank boss stage.  :(

Also played up to level 5-7 of Splash Lake with my sons.

esadajr

Yesterday I was able to play good old Drac X and Star Parodia (that and Parodius are probably the best shooters ever)
Gaming since 1985

Bardoly

Got up to Level 6-2 of Splash Lake.  Also played some more Sapphire and Horror Story.

PukeSter

Just played Bravoman on my Wii for the first time in months. It's strange how fun the game really is, and I personally feel that it is a much stronger title than Splatterhouse(at least conversion-wise). I need to pick up a copy sometime.

-D-

Finished Daisenpu Custom and Detana Twinbee awhile back; moved on to Raiden US this past week.  Consistently getting farther and farther every time I play it, think I'm getting to the 6th level now.  Loving the hell out of it.

Recent pick-ups waiting in the wings:  Image Fight, Download, L-Dis, P-47.

tpivette

Been playing Cosmic Fantasy 2 over the weekend, just got started playing as Babette.

Popped in Magical Chase for the first time yesterday, and I gotta say the music is pretty damn catchy! Lost track of time just engrossed in the music and blowing things up... before I knew it, it was 1am and I realized I had to wake up for work in 3 hours!
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

MrFlutterPie

Just played and beat Riot Zone.  I can now up the Turbo games I've beaten to 2 lol.  Wow that game was easy.   Just sat down and beat it on the first try.  I did feel a bit dirty opening a sealed game but I love beat em ups and this was my most wanted to play Turbo CD.

seieienbu

Played Vigilante for a while.  I may try to go back and beat it tonight.

Damon Plus

I continue playing Neutopia. Beat the first four dungeons, just entered the Sea Sphere (pretty cool music, btw). Liking the game a lot so far, I would've liked a bit more difficulty and less emptyness in the scenarios, but other than that, a very, very good and charming adventure game.

seieienbu

Played a bit more Vigalante.  I keep dying on the 3'rd stage.

Quote from: Damon Plus on 02/13/2013, 12:47 PMI continue playing Neutopia. Beat the first four dungeons, just entered the Sea Sphere (pretty cool music, btw). Liking the game a lot so far, I would've liked a bit more difficulty and less emptyness in the scenarios, but other than that, a very, very good and charming adventure game.
I need to pick up Neutopia at some point.

Bardoly

I've played a lot of Bomberman in the last three days.  I'm up to 6-7 right now, because I forgot to save when I was up to 7-5.  I'll probably finish the game either tonight or tomorrow.  It's really a good game, although I wish that the main game had 2-player simultaneous for the storyline.

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: Damon Plus on 02/13/2013, 12:47 PMI continue playing Neutopia. Beat the first four dungeons, just entered the Sea Sphere (pretty cool music, btw). Liking the game a lot so far, I would've liked a bit more difficulty and less emptyness in the scenarios, but other than that, a very, very good and charming adventure game.
Neutopia II is much better for not feeling so "empty." The dungeons/plot order feels a lot better than "Collect 8 macguffins and confront the final baddie."  That, added with diagonal sword attacks, less reliance on the stupid moon beam moss, makes the game better in general.

The only downside to Neutopia II is that the bosses are much harder, and less predictable. There are a few that are just ultra bullshit. If anyone has strategies to not get murdered by the 7th dungeon boss, I'm all ears.   
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

Carparama

I got my girlfriend to give the TG16 a chance, and she LOVES Devil's Crush.  :)  Couldn't be happier!  Now to get her to try the Bonk and Bomberman series.  :)

tpivette

Quote from: guest on 02/15/2013, 01:37 PM
Neutopia II is much better for not feeling so "empty." The dungeons/plot order feels a lot better than "Collect 8 macguffins and confront the final baddie."  That, added with diagonal sword attacks, less reliance on the stupid moon beam moss, makes the game better in general.

The only downside to Neutopia II is that the bosses are much harder, and less predictable. There are a few that are just ultra bullshit. If anyone has strategies to not get murdered by the 7th dungeon boss, I'm all ears. 
Which boss is that? I get the dungeons confused. All of them seemed really easy to me... until I got to Dirth. Failed miserably against him and haven't tried again since my utter defeat.

That's the one thing I DIDN'T like about Neutopia 2... it was too linear to me. There was just one path to travel, and the game/story pushed you toward it. With the original, I could beat any dungeon out of order or explore anywhere at random. Similar to the original Zelda

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: tpivette on 02/15/2013, 05:55 PM
Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 02/15/2013, 01:37 PM
Neutopia II is much better for not feeling so "empty." The dungeons/plot order feels a lot better than "Collect 8 macguffins and confront the final baddie."  That, added with diagonal sword attacks, less reliance on the stupid moon beam moss, makes the game better in general.

Which boss is that? I get the dungeons confused. All of them seemed really easy to me...
Its the flower boss, with the 4 leaf "tentacles." You can't get close to it when its time to hit it, and it is nearly unavoidable.
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

roflmao

I spent some quality time with Bonk's Revenge today, and it's finally starting to grow on me.  

I've had it, off an on, since the Duo first launched (It came on the GoT CD when I picked mine up) and I've never liked it as much as the original.  But tonight I really enjoyed playing it!  

I only made it to the 4th level boss before running out of continues, but, hey, it's the first time I've given it a real stab in awhile. :)  I love how detailed and colorful everything is.  And the music is just as good as the first.  Which is a good thing.

It took awhile to get used to the spinning change (which is why I don't think I could ever get into it before), but I think I was finally starting to get it when I ran out of continues.  I'm sure when I sit down to give it another go (hopefully tomorrow) I'll get a lot farther.  

I love how many secret paths and bonus game flowers there are if you explore!

Carparama

Oh, it's such a wonderful game.  One of the best on the system for sure.  Glad you're enjoying it!

Played some Devil's Crush tonight and got 5.36 million which is my personal best.  Actually beat the Champs in World Class Baseball for the first time too.  Was so pumped.

Corredor X

Yesterday I played to the end of Bonk's Adventure and once again I regret not having contact with the TG16/PCE when I was a kid. Too bad the console was almost unknown here, just some notes on magazines and such  :( But I've been making up for the lost time! Bonk's is extremely funny and have nice music too.

chany60126

Finished up Loom earlier this week. I am currently playing through the English dub of Ys IV. They did a nice job with the voice-overs.

roflmao

Quote from: chany60126 on 02/17/2013, 02:01 PMFinished up Loom earlier this week. I am currently playing through the English dub of Ys IV. They did a nice job with the voice-overs.
Post it to the thread where every TG16 game is cleared within a year!  I've been meaning t clear it since I got it for Christmas, but I guess you beat me to it. :P

Damon Plus

Finished Neutopia. It took me about 7 hours. Very, very good adventure game, I really enjoyed it.

RainMaker

Just got my Duo back from having a full re capped and s video installed by Keith courage. So I'm playing all of my games again in beautiful s video. Thanks Keith.

seieienbu

Just started Dragon Slayer.  I've been wanting to play it for a long time.

roflmao

Got Dungeon Explorer II (PCE) and Salamander in the mail today so I've been playing those.  Woot!

turbokon

Thanks to vestcunt raffle, I've been playing physic storm. Excellent game, excellent soundtrack. Made it to the boss of the third stage.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

Obfuscate

I've been playing through all my favorite shooters one last time this winter before spring arrives:

Soldier Blade
Nexzr
Lords of Thunder
Rayxanber 2
Gate of Thunder
Image Fight 2

seieienbu

Played more Dragonslayer.  I'm hoping to find time to beat it this weekend.

PukeSter

Playing through some Bonk's Adventure and Keith Courage. Bonk is amazing. Keith is ok at best.

Bardoly

Quote from: Obfuscate on 02/20/2013, 09:30 AMI've been playing through all my favorite shooters one last time this winter before spring arrives:

Soldier Blade
Nexzr
Lords of Thunder
Rayxanber 2
Gate of Thunder
Image Fight 2
So, "playing through" means beating them.  Right?
A couple of these are relatively difficult, and I haven't beaten them yet, so I'm curious.

For me, I beat Bomberman last night.  Really a good game even in single-player story mode.

Bardoly

I recently played through and beat Bomberman, and here's my comment that I posted on PCE Daisakusen!

QuoteAh, Bomberman!  This one is a bit tough to rate, just because this game is the pioneer for the great Bomberman series, and as such, it's not as polished as later incarnations.  I still had a fun time playing the multi-player battle mode and beating the story mode.  (Even though, if you're going to play multi-player Bomberman, you might as well play the newer versions (Bomberman '93 and/or Bomberman '94 if you have them available.)  I do wish that the story mode had the option of 2-player simultaneous gameplay, like some of the newer versions, but for a first try, this game really is pretty good.  I rate it as a very solid 9 out of 10, of which 1-2 points are simply for it having some fun multi-player capability.

Carparama

My dad is almost 70 and will play Bomberman from 1-1 to 8-8 with no passwords.  Sometimes he can't beat it, but I'm always so impressed.

Obfuscate

Quote from: Bardoly on 02/22/2013, 02:07 PM
Quote from: Obfuscate on 02/20/2013, 09:30 AMI've been playing through all my favorite shooters one last time this winter before spring arrives:

Soldier Blade
Nexzr
Lords of Thunder
Rayxanber 2
Gate of Thunder
Image Fight 2
So, "playing through" means beating them.  Right?
A couple of these are relatively difficult, and I haven't beaten them yet, so I'm curious.
Yes, I meant playing through as in beating the games. The only one I can't 1CC is Rayxanber 2 but have come very close. I put a lot of time in all these games, if you get stuck on a spot I could probably help.

Bernie

Quote from: Carparama on 02/23/2013, 11:27 AMMy dad is almost 70 and will play Bomberman from 1-1 to 8-8 with no passwords.  Sometimes he can't beat it, but I'm always so impressed.
Damn!!  That is saying something right there.  I dont have the patience to sit through it in one sitting!!

Bardoly

In addition to Bomberman, I also played through Aero Blasters with a friend the last couple of days and enjoyed it, although it was on the difficult side.

Here's my comment that I posted on PCE Daisakusen!

QuoteAero Blasters - As others have said, this horizontal shoot-'em-up is rather difficult - especially in the later stages. Playing this game with a partner does help through most of the game, but we found that the last stage was easier for one player than for two, because of all of the running-into-the-wall deaths which sucked up all of your shared continues. That said, with the 9 credit code and/or the 'level select' code, this game become much more playable. I rated this as a '9' out of 10, because I REALLY enjoy simultaneous multi-player games.

Carparama

That's a game I haven't played a ton of.  Nicely done.

When I bring the physical game home tomorrow, what should be the first game I play?

Keith Courage (It was the first game I touched, and really thought it was fun.  I was pretty young though.  I've never beaten it.)
World Class Baseball (As much as I enjoyed Keith Courage, I really loved this Baseball game.  I can still play it and enjoy it today.)
Bonk's Adventure (When my dad brought this home, I was super pumped.  Fell in love with it, and Bonk is still my favourite character today.)
Bonk's Revenge (Probably the best game ever on the system.  Played through it to show my girlfriend how great it was.)
Yo'Bro (I don't remember when I got it, but I love the fact I appear to be the only person in the world to love it.)
Gunboat (I remember buying this and being told not to by the shopkeep.  I will never make that mistake again.  I keep trying it every couple of years to see if I'll like it.  I never do.)
TaleSpin (I asked for a new game for Christmas and my dad got me this, plus a Super Nintendo.  I would continue to play both, but my dad played the TG16 more because of Bomberman.  Until my sister broke it...)
CyberCore (I was never any good at shooters, but when my older sister had this and Deep Blue, she gave them to me, and I really liked this game.)
Deep Blue (Worst game on any system.  Pick it, and I'll be sad.)
Blazing Lazers (My newest game I didn't even remember I had.  Never appreciated it, or really tried it when I got the system from Value Village, and I totally should have.)

Leaning toward Blazing Lazers, but I think I'll let the lady play it first.  Hmmm.

tpivette

My vote goes to Blazing Lazers... when my parents bought me a Turbo for Christmas back in '89, I also got Blazing Lazers along with the system. Played that and Keith Courage for months, but BL was my favorite between the two. It's an awesome shooter, especially considering it was a first year release for the system.

I'm currently looking for Super Star Soldier, which almost looks like an unofficial sequel to BL. Can't wait to play that one...

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f