10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueraven

I was playing shapeshifter a few weeks ago. The panther level should be the last one on the game. It's exponentially harder than the others.

munchiaz

Aero Blasters. Man this game is hard. I was able to make it to phase 5 using the extra credit cheat.

jordan_hillman

My buddy and I have been playing an obscene amount of Devil's Crush lately. So damn addicting!
"Live the code, the code of the Dragon!"

jordan_hillman

Quote from: munchiaz on 06/20/2014, 01:17 PMAero Blasters. Man this game is hard. I was able to make it to phase 5 using the extra credit cheat.
I have completed this game (with code) exactly once. It is absolutely brutal and unrelenting in its difficulty, but I still give R-Type the nod for hardest shooter on the TG. I have given up all hope of ever beating that game  ](*,)

NecroPhile

Quote from: jordan_hillman on 06/20/2014, 05:04 PMI still give R-Type the nod for hardest shooter on the TG.
Give Tatsujin, Raiden, Rayxanber II, and Sinistron a whirl.  They'll make R-Type feel easy.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

jordan_hillman

Quote from: guest on 06/20/2014, 05:12 PM
Quote from: jordan_hillman on 06/20/2014, 05:04 PMI still give R-Type the nod for hardest shooter on the TG.
Give Tatsujin, Raiden, Rayxanber II, and Sinistron a whirl.  They'll make R-Type feel easy.
Raiden has definitely beaten me into submission several times as well (and thats another I've given up on ever beating), but I personally still give a slight edge to R-Type on the difficulty scale (maybe it's because of all the damn screen flickering or it has the psychological advantage on me after all the years of torment).

I'll definitely pick up a copy of Rayxanber II (thanks for the recommendation btw!), but it might be a while before I snag the other two because I still don't have a PCE or region modded system (I know, I know; I really need to get on that).

NecroPhile

Sinistron is a US huey, and I think it's actually one of the weird ones that's often cheaper than its PCE counter part (which is named Violent Soldier but is more than just a name change).

jordan_hillman

Quote from: guest on 06/20/2014, 07:43 PMSinistron is a US huey, and I think it's actually one of the weird ones that's often cheaper than its PCE counter part (which is named Violent Soldier but is more than just a name change).
Oops! For some reason I was thinking Salamander and not Sinistron when I typed that response.

roflmao

If you've seen this in another thread, I apologize, but I played through Blazing Lazers a couple of days ago in my car on the Express.  I haven't finished that game in ages and I don't know if it's ever been accomplished on an Express.

IMG

I wish I had been quicker to grab a pic so I knew what kind of score I got, but all that was running through my head at the time was "I need to get back to work!" because I'd gone a bit over my hour allotment for lunch. :/

seieienbu

Current want list:  Bomberman 93

technozombie

Awesome accomplishment. I really need to get that game. Its so hard to find turbo in the wild I guess I'm going to have to break down and get it off eBay.

InfraMan

Quote from: blueraven on 06/20/2014, 01:08 PMI was playing shapeshifter a few weeks ago. The panther level should be the last one on the game. It's exponentially harder than the others.
OMG, I hate that @#$% panther. If you're going to make a playable character whose primary function is JUMPING, you should at least give that character the ability to land on platforms properly. I literally thought my game was glitched when I got to that first panther-jumping section. ](*,)

They should have listed him as a "special feature" on the back of the box:

"** Play as an intoxicated panther with an inner ear infection and a fear of high places! Fun for ages 0-ABSOLUTELY NO ONE! Squeeeee!!!"

jtucci31

Quote from: technozombie on 06/21/2014, 12:19 AMAwesome accomplishment. I really need to get that game. Its so hard to find turbo in the wild I guess I'm going to have to break down and get it off ebay
Never! Just wait for someone here to get rid of it! I'm sure it'll pop up at some point

esteban

Quote from: munchiaz on 06/17/2014, 06:12 PMplayed some shubiniman a few nights ago. Got stuck. Game is pretty tricking, mostly because the wonky hit boxes. I also played a little toyshop boys. Its one of those shooters that if you die once its really hard to come back from. Then i played some popful mail, but im currently stuck.
Quote from: HailingTheThings on 06/20/2014, 12:17 AMKeep coming back to Samurai Ghost, I will beat it even though I am terrible at everything. :(

Mega..I mean Shockman, this game is adorbs.

&

I tried Ghost Manor again, WTF is this game, like I like it, but the music is killing me a little. :3
Shockman & Ghost Manor: I have really never "clicked" with these games. I still have to beat them, and I will, but , damn...a little tweaking and both games would be far more engaging. 

Samurai Ghost is genuinely addictive for me.  I've been trying to beat the damn game for the last week, but I just can't do it (yet). I beat this game in the last year or two, so you'd think I'd be able to do it again, but I was full-on obsessed with it last time (I didn't play any other game for weeks! Ha!).

STATUS: I am hilariously awful or amazingly awesome in SG (specifically, the parts when the spiders who shoot webs on my feet and slow down my ability to move past crumbling floors...).

Quote from: jordan_hillman on 06/20/2014, 05:01 PMMy buddy and I have been playing an obscene amount of Devil's Crush lately. So damn addicting!
Absolutely. I love luring out the satanic lizard lady... :pcgs:

Quote from: guest on 06/20/2014, 09:05 PMIf you've seen this in another thread, I apologize, but I played through Blazing Lazers a couple of days ago in my car on the Express.  I haven't finished that game in ages and I don't know if it's ever been accomplished on an Express.

IMG

I wish I had been quicker to grab a pic so I knew what kind of score I got, but all that was running through my head at the time was "I need to get back to work!" because I'd gone a bit over my hour allotment for lunch. :/
I think there should be an extra thread for "beaten on TurboExoress" ....this would be a special honor, documented in its own thread, but folks could still post in this thread.  :pcgs:

Quote from: InfraMan on 06/21/2014, 08:53 AM
Quote from: blueraven on 06/20/2014, 01:08 PMI was playing shapeshifter a few weeks ago. The panther level should be the last one on the game. It's exponentially harder than the others.
OMG, I hate that @#$% panther. If you're going to make a playable character whose primary function is JUMPING, you should at least give that character the ability to land on platforms properly. I literally thought my game was glitched when I got to that first panther-jumping section. ](*,)

They should have listed him as a "special feature" on the back of the box:

"** Play as an intoxicated panther with an inner ear infection and a fear of high places! Fun for ages 0-ABSOLUTELY NO ONE! Squeeeee!!!"
"Intoxicated panther" ....  :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: guest on 06/20/2014, 09:05 PMIf you've seen this in another thread, I apologize, but I played through Blazing Lazers a couple of days ago in my car on the Express.  I haven't finished that game in ages and I don't know if it's ever been accomplished on an Express.
After the RF out on my TG-16 died bitd, my TurboExpress was the only way I got to play Turbo games for what seemed like forever. I played through all my games on the TE, often while walking across town. I used to play through Dragon's Curse and other adventure/RPG games throughout my shifts working alone at a bowling alley when I was fifteen. I was able to write down and re-enter passwords even on the TE screen, which always made complaints of using passwords in Turbo games seem overrated.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

roflmao

I didn't word my last post very well.  I'm sure many others have completed Blazing Lazers on the the Express.  It just not something *I've* done previously. :)

Since TurboKon has worked his magic on my Express, I've been using it almost exclusively when playing HUcards.

However, today I decided to try to beat Blazing Lazers again so I could get my score and I played it on a TV.

IMG

Woot!

HailingTheThings

Quote from: InfraMan on 06/21/2014, 08:53 AMThey should have listed him as a "special feature" on the back of the box:

If I ever saw something like that on a game, instant buy. lol

Quote from: esteban on 06/21/2014, 01:48 PMShockman & Ghost Manor: I have really never "clicked" with these games. I still have to beat them, and I will, but , damn...a little tweaking and both games would be far more engaging. 

Samurai Ghost is genuinely addictive for me.  I've been trying to beat the damn game for the last week, but I just can't do it (yet). I beat this game in the last year or two, so you'd think I'd be able to do it again, but I was full-on obsessed with it last time (I didn't play any other game for weeks! Ha!).

STATUS: I am hilariously awful or amazingly awesome in SG (specifically, the parts when the spiders who shoot webs on my feet and slow down my ability to move past crumbling floors...).
I think Shockman, for the most part, is fine-ish, however, Ghost Manor...is eh. lol

Samurai Ghost just makes me want to keep trying, even though I get super-pissed.

Those effing spiders...O..M...G!!!

Quote from: esteban on 06/21/2014, 01:48 PM
Quote from: jordan_hillman on 06/20/2014, 05:01 PMMy buddy and I have been playing an obscene amount of Devil's Crush lately. So damn addicting!
Absolutely. I love luring out the satanic lizard lady... :pcgs:
I think she's a Luciferian or Lizard Luciferian... Lizard-ferian?

IMG
IMG

esteban

Thank you—luciferian, she is.

HailingTheThings

IMG

jordan_hillman

Finally picked myself up a copy of Air Zonk in a trade with a buddy of mine. I've played that bad boy before on an everdrive, but I had to sell mine recently (law school expenses suck!)  ](*,) This game is quickly becoming one of my favorites in the TG library.

whisper2053

Started the Wizardry Saga recently. I'll be playing I-V on the PCE, and VI-VIII via Steam.

This could take a while... :P
IMG
My Retro Gaming Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/whisper2053

LostFlunky

The Impossamole raffle made me rethink if I was too harsh on some of my TG16 games in my reckless youth, so I've decided to go back and play some of the games that I *didn't* like...

First up was TV Sports Hockey.  I don't think I gave this game a fair chance BITD because the competition was the first of the EA games which were much more of the "pick up and play variety".

I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised.  After the 1st period of the game, (I was losing 1-0) I was able to make passes and score some goals and ended up winning 7-2.

I just don't get why the players sound like they are saying "Boo, ...ghost"...

Jordan

The only Turbo game I'm playing right now is Tatsujin. Now that is one evil game  :twisted:.

Bardoly

Yep. I'm practicing Tatsujin as well.   ](*,)

esteban

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 06/27/2014, 07:30 AMThe Impossamole raffle made me rethink if I was too harsh on some of my TG16 games in my reckless youth, so I've decided to go back and play some of the games that I *didn't* like...

First up was TV Sports Hockey.  I don't think I gave this game a fair chance BITD because the competition was the first of the EA games which were much more of the "pick up and play variety".

I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised.  After the 1st period of the game, (I was losing 1-0) I was able to make passes and score some goals and ended up winning 7-2.

I just don't get why the players sound like they are saying "Boo, ...ghost"...
"Boo, ...ghost"

Awesome.

seieienbu

Quote from: whisper2053 on 06/27/2014, 01:00 AMStarted the Wizardry Saga recently. I'll be playing I-V on the PCE, and VI-VIII via Steam.

This could take a while... :P
wowow, that's a serious undertaking, good luck to you!

esadajr

last night I was playing Advanced VG, Asuka and PC Genjin 3
Gaming since 1985

Bardoly

Still playing Tatsujin...  Only 6 more days till VGS.

jtucci31

Quote from: Bardoly on 07/06/2014, 03:57 PMStill playing Tatsujin...  Only 6 more days till VGS.
I've been practicing at Galloping Ghost since I can't afford the PCE version. Holy butts it's hard. Getting any good at it?

Bardoly

Quote from: guest on 07/06/2014, 05:07 PM
Quote from: Bardoly on 07/06/2014, 03:57 PMStill playing Tatsujin...  Only 6 more days till VGS.
I've been practicing at Galloping Ghost since I can't afford the PCE version. Holy butts it's hard. Getting any good at it?
Not at all.  :(
I can usually get past the first mini-boss without using a bomb, and I've made it to level 2 three times (on my first continue as the rules state), but that's it.   ](*,)

jordan_hillman

roflmao

I picked up Ys IV not too long ago and then made me a copy of the English translation. At the time, I briefly tested it to make sure it worked, but it's been sitting dormant since then.

This weekend my son and I picked it up again and couldn't put it down! It's at least as good as Ys Books I & II. I stopped at the ice boss, but will hopefully keep the game moving next weekend. 

There is no excuse not to play it.

The US translation is really well done. Really, really.

The graphics and animation are improved over I & II.

The music is phenomenal.  Possibly as good as I & II, but I can't yet state it's better because of the the nostalgia cred the original has earned.  IMO, all pce Ys games have fantastic soundtracks.

On a side note we also played a fair amount of Devil's Crush.  It has been a good weekend of obey. :)

technozombie

Quote from: guest on 08/11/2014, 12:54 AMI picked up Ys IV not too long ago and then made me a copy of the English translation. At the time, I briefly tested it to make sure it worked, but it's been sitting dormant since then.

This weekend my son and I picked it up again and couldn't put it down! It's at least as good as Ys Books I & II. I stopped at the ice boss, but will hopefully keep the game moving next weekend. 

There is no excuse not to play it.

The US translation is really well done. Really, really.

The graphics and animation are improved over I & II.

The music is phenomenal.  Possibly as good as I & II, but I can't yet state it's better because of the the nostalgia cred the original has earned.  IMO, all pce Ys games have fantastic soundtracks.

On a side note we also played a fair amount of Devil's Crush.  It has been a good weekend of obey. :)
I'm also playing Ys 4. I finished Mask of the Sun on SNES and now I'm almost finished with Dawn of Ys. The Ice Boss was a pain in the ass. So far I feel like the difficulty is perfectly balanced in that the bosses are hard, but once you learn they're patterns they can be beat.

NightWolve

Quote from: guest on 08/11/2014, 12:54 AMThe music is phenomenal.  Possibly as good as I & II, but I can't yet state it's better because of the the nostalgia cred the original has earned.  IMO, all pce Ys games have fantastic soundtracks.
Yeah, it's just as awesome as the others. All music from this series on this system packs a punch and together provides one of the greatest gaming soundtracks in history, largely thanks to the arranging talents of Ryo Yonemitsu no matter who the composer(s) was/were (composers were mostly different from Ys I & II [Yuzo Koshiro], Ys III [Mieko Ishikawa] and Ys IV [many to list]).

johnnymad

Blazing Lasers. Just as good as advertised.

roflmao

I tried taking a picture of the TV just now, but the camera didn't want to cooperate...

Atlantean!

I've never been any good at Defender, and this is kicking me to the curb, but it's so much fun!  Everything moves fluidly (no pun intended). Precise control.  I haven't gotten used to utilizing the map at the top of the screen, but I'm sure that'll come with practice.  I eventually got used to the one in Pyramid Plunder. :)

khog143

I'm playing Devil's Crush.  Still one of the best pinball games ever.

ctophil

I'm playing The Addams Family on Turbografx-CD.  I know most of you probably don't care for that game; but it's actually pretty fun.  Plus, it's the only Turbo CD game I have.  lol.  The game is really hard though.  So far, I could only go past the first part of the mansion.  I got to the part where you go down into the basement.  The game really throws annoying enemies at you, and you barely ever get hearts to refill your health.  Nothing like some old school difficulty.

escarioth

I'm currently trying to push my wife into trying Book of Ys...  [-o<

as for me, i'm totally over Valis 3 and that water level is driving crazy  :evil:
US Hucards     :  86/94 (1 repro)
US CD-games  : 40/44 (3 repros)
total complete with boxes 54/111

seieienbu

Quote from: ctophil on 08/12/2014, 12:18 AMI'm playing The Addams Family on Turbografx-CD.  I know most of you probably don't care for that game; but it's actually pretty fun.  Plus, it's the only Turbo CD game I have.  lol.  The game is really hard though.  So far, I could only go past the first part of the mansion.  I got to the part where you go down into the basement.  The game really throws annoying enemies at you, and you barely ever get hearts to refill your health.  Nothing like some old school difficulty. 
I seem to recall The Adams Family was pretty easy to beat in one life. However, if I died and lost my power ups I might as well just restart the game.

ctophil

Quote from: seieienbu on 08/12/2014, 02:47 PM
Quote from: ctophil on 08/12/2014, 12:18 AMI'm playing The Addams Family on Turbografx-CD.  I know most of you probably don't care for that game; but it's actually pretty fun.  Plus, it's the only Turbo CD game I have.  lol.  The game is really hard though.  So far, I could only go past the first part of the mansion.  I got to the part where you go down into the basement.  The game really throws annoying enemies at you, and you barely ever get hearts to refill your health.  Nothing like some old school difficulty. 
I seem to recall The Adams Family was pretty easy to beat in one life. However, if I died and lost my power ups I might as well just restart the game.
Power ups?  Easy?  Are you sure you got the right Addams Family game?  Hehe.  Well, your weapon is an umbrella that shoots pellets or something.  You don't get any upgrades to it.  Occasionally, you pick up a fencing sword, that's about it.  You get like 4 lives.  If you use it all up, the game starts ALL the way over.  There are no continues.  The basement level I just got to has many chasms, rotating blades, and enemies that fly like bats (wavy pattern, i.e. from Castlevania or Ninja Gaiden) to knock you around.  There are bats at the beginning of the game.  You can die from them alone.  It's quite hard to me.  I had one life left.  So I fell into one of the holes, and it's game over for me. 

But as any game, you can memorize the enemy patterns and practice makes perfect.

clackattack

Was playing Cosmic Fantasy 2 before I put my TG16 under the knife... Once I get her back from Turbokon, ill probally put it on the backburner and start up Ys IV
[If it's song and dance you want, song and dance you'll get!]

vexcollects

GOMOLA SPEED! Really great diamond in the rough. Only heard about this game in someone's "best of" PC Engine list. Bought it for close to nothing too. What a great game. Fantastic music too.

jordan_hillman

My buddies and I have been playing a metric shit ton of Devil's Crush lately. Trying to break the 100,000,000 barrier with no luck so far   ](*,)

munchiaz

wrong thread  #-o

synbiosfan

According to my save state, I've completed Y's Book I.

This took a while because in the middle, I shipped my Duo-R off to turbokon :P

I'll take a dinner break then jump back into Book II.

csgx1

Played Star Parodier for the first time.  Seems way too easy as I was able to 1cc on the first play through. 

I like the music and the graphics are nice and colorful.  Pretty cool how you can play as a PC Engine console with PCE controllers as rotating shields.  Having other characters to choose from does give more replay value.

I'll have to figure out how to crank up the difficulty and give it another play through.

Mishran

Been playing Atlantean as well. Gotten past the first boss and shit hits the fan. I've always loved, but sucked at, Defender. Had the game stutter on me a few times when a number of enemies were on screen at once and cost me a few lives so far. No complaints though. :dance:

NecroPhile

Post up a score in the high score thread, mishran!  I need some competition.  :mrgreen:

Mishran

Soon as I get better at the game, I'll do that Necro.