RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmperorIng

Interesting news. Though I doubt the later pressings fixed the complete lack of content within the game.

It seems odd that the game struggles to display more than two character sprites at once.

Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if I have some bugged version that's missing a vital item, because I wandered around the same cave for an hour with no clue on how to proceed (possessed enemies don't ignite torches, or do anything for that matter).

esteban

Quote from: EmperorIng on 09/01/2015, 08:07 PMInteresting news. Though I doubt the later pressings fixed the complete lack of content within the game.

It seems odd that the game struggles to display more than two character sprites at once.

Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if I have some bugged version that's missing a vital item, because I wandered around the same cave for an hour with no clue on how to proceed (possessed enemies don't ignite torches, or do anything for that matter).
No, it always felt unfinished to me ("empty", as you put it...)

https://archives.tg-16.com/Dengeki_PC_Engine_1994_12.htm
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

EmperorIng

Well, I beat Gotzendiener. The final area with all the moving treadmills was slowdown city.

Apparently I might have some bug copy where music doesn't play during the "final boss" room, so I just wailed on the enemy in weird silence.

It's not that it mattered since the enemies all behave the same (get knocked back when hit, then move back into position to being hit). I find it funny that some random mook that didn't even try to attack was the final obstacle between me and freedom.

Overall opinion: awful game. Little creativity outside of some visual design; if Gainax had a hand in it, it was their C-squad. I bet there are some out there that think all the useless and pointless items and interactions add "atmosphere," and that traversing a gigantic empty maze with little rhyme or reason behind progression (but plenty of slowdown) is "unique." These are probably the same people that love modern indie games like Dear Esther and Gone Home - well Gotzendiener has them all beat as the original shitty walking simulator.

It is hilarious that the game's case has the balls to throw around "RPG" on its description. Anyone who recommends this game is seriously nuts.

VenomMacbeth

Oh shit...I can smell NecroPhile fuming all the way over here ._.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

esteban

Quote from: EmperorIng on 09/02/2015, 02:10 AMWell, I beat Gotzendiener. The final area with all the moving treadmills was slowdown city.

Apparently I might have some bug copy where music doesn't play during the "final boss" room, so I just wailed on the enemy in weird silence.

It's not that it mattered since the enemies all behave the same (get knocked back when hit, then move back into position to being hit). I find it funny that some random mook that didn't even try to attack was the final obstacle between me and freedom.

Overall opinion: awful game. Little creativity outside of some visual design; if Gainax had a hand in it, it was their C-squad. I bet there are some out there that think all the useless and pointless items and interactions add "atmosphere," and that traversing a gigantic empty maze with little rhyme or reason behind progression (but plenty of slowdown) is "unique." These are probably the same people that love modern indie games like Dear Esther and Gone Home - well Gotzendiener has them all beat as the original shitty walking simulator.

It is hilarious that the game's case has the balls to throw around "RPG" on its description. Anyone who recommends this game is seriously nuts.
I love that you unabashedly bash the game, but I actually enjoyed it (despite its flaws, which I briefly pointed out).

Also, something tells me that some of the humor in the game went RIGHT OVER YOUR HEAD.

Wait?! What was that?

I'm not saying you are wrong, but you represent the profile of an "impatient stimulus seeker" who needs the volume at 11 (always) and hyper-kinetic action (always) otherwise..."nothing is happening"...

Am I harsh? Yes. Am I fair? No.

But I do feel that the mood and atmosphere in some games will be totally lost in you.

:)

TO CURE YOU OF YOUR "WALKING SIMULATOR" BLUES, I prescribe Monster Lair.

Go play Monster Lair...that game satisfies the "impatient stimulus seeker" in me: I get a new weapon every millisecond, I jump around constantly, I don't strategize which weapon I'll use on the boss (I'll use whatever weapon I have). Don't use turbo.

I'm serious, by the way. For any of its flaws, Wonderboy III: Monster Lair is friggin' awesome, under-appreciated.

Obviously, no cheating codes.

The game has a few default continues. You can use them.

NecroPhile

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 09/02/2015, 02:45 AMOh shit...I can smell NecroPhile fuming all the way over here ._.
Nah, I know the game is flawed and unfinished, but I can still enjoy the story, cut scenes, and handful of puzzles that made it in.  Contrary to EmperorIng's complaints, it's not totally devoid of things to figure out, and it's cheap enough (and short enough) that I don't feel bad recommending it as something a bit different from the usual fare.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 09/02/2015, 10:47 AM
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 09/02/2015, 02:45 AMOh shit...I can smell NecroPhile fuming all the way over here ._.
Nah, I know the game is flawed and unfinished, but I can still enjoy the story, cut scenes, and handful of puzzles that made it in.  Contrary to EmperorIng's complaints, it's not totally devoid of things to figure out, and it's cheap enough (and short enough) that I don't feel bad recommending it as something a bit different from the usual fare.
Exactly. L'Emperor didn't appreciate what the game does offer, which is a charming, unique experience on the PCE. And the unexpected/humorous stuff is nicely done.

It would be such a shame for folks to pass over Goetzzy, thinking it had absolutely nothing to offer.

VenomMacbeth

Last night, I plugged in the Duo & enjoyed some Godzilla, Ryuko no Ken, and Sapphire.  I couldn't really get into Godzilla.  Art of Fighting was good, but I can't seem to make it past the second level.  Graphics are top-notch, though.

Sapphire wins, of course.  It's a gorgeous game with accessible gameplay.  Something about it is just a little "meh" to me, though...maybe it's the Raiden-style power up system?  Or perhaps the uninspired silicon/polygon enemies?  Who knows.  I think I just need to devote some more time to it.

EDIT: I also enjoy the soundtrack much more than that of Gate of Thunder.  It seems more evenly energetic, whereas GoT seems to be a little schizophrenic.
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

esteban

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 09/02/2015, 11:52 AMLast night, I plugged in the Duo & enjoyed some Godzilla, Ryuko no Ken, and Sapphire.  I couldn't really get into Godzilla.  Art of Fighting was good, but I can't seem to make it past the second level.  Graphics are top-notch, though.

Sapphire wins, of course.  It's a gorgeous game with accessible gameplay.  Something about it is just a little "meh" to me, though...maybe it's the Raiden-style power up system?  Or perhaps the uninspired silicon/polygon enemies?  Who knows.  I think I just need to devote some more time to it.

EDIT: I also enjoy the soundtrack much more than that of Gate of Thunder.  It seems more evenly energetic, whereas GoT seems to be a little schizophrenic.
The enemy designs are almost as bland as Terraforming!

Still, a fun game.

EmperorIng

Hey, I didn't say "absolutely nothing," I said "little creativity outside of some visual design." That's better than nothing, I guess. And humor? Uh, I guess the princess falling 12 stories down in some cave was mildly amusing as well the big splat-corpse the eye-monster makes, but the game in general is pretty humorless.

Unless there is something incredibly and subversively funny about the whole "princess is the hero" thing that I am sure would surprise someone who didn't know that coming into the game, which my guess is absolutely no one for more than a decade now.

Quote from: esteban on 09/02/2015, 09:24 AMI'm not saying you are wrong, but you represent the profile of an "impatient stimulus seeker" who needs the volume at 11 (always) and hyper-kinetic action (always) otherwise..."nothing is happening"...
But I do feel that the mood and atmosphere in some games will be totally lost in you.
Not quite. Fumito Ueda's games can achieve an amazing level of atmosphere despite a relative lack of things going on. Climax games (e.g. Landstalker, Dark Savior, and Alundra) tell beautiful self-contained stories in small, isolated locations - something that really impressed me about those games. Some games just don't do it well (e.g. Gotzendiener) - the isometric perspective's added detail doesn't help the game when you are stuck in drab ugly caves for a third of the game with droning bland chiptunes playing incessantly (if they remixed these tracks for redbook audio cutscenes, why couldn't we hear them in-game? what wasted effort).

Its only saving grace is that it's cheap, so I didn't waste much time or resources with it (but was served a healthy dose of frustration).

Now I can get back to dealing with Valis IV's progressively deteriorating standards of level design.

esteban

^ Yeah, Valis IV should have been better. It's decent, but it should have been the pinnacle of the series.

I consider Valis III the pinnacle.

Also, I was purposefully being harsh!

Sometimes, you jaded folks need to be given a good smack, followed by a tender kiss and then a cozy hug.

I'm not sure what stage we are at.

Tender kiss?

:)

NecroPhile

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 09/02/2015, 11:52 AMI couldn't really get into Godzilla.
Awww, why not?  Aside from the broken scoring in the US version, the only thing I don't particularly like about Gojirra is how you can't play as any other monsters in one player mode.

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: guest on 09/02/2015, 03:16 PM
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 09/02/2015, 11:52 AMI couldn't really get into Godzilla.
Awww, why not?  Aside from the broken scoring in the US version, the only thing I don't particularly like about Gojirra is how you can't play as any other monsters in one player mode.
I'm sure I'll get it eventually.  I just don't have much patience for fighting games.  I didn't really care for the redbook tunes either...why couldn't they just use the actual orchestrated score? 

But I am a fan of the big ol' lizard, as is my family, so I'm sure some fun will be had once I acquire another controller.
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Bardoly

Clear #40 - W Ring

IMG

Below is a little mini-review/my comments on this game which I posted on PCE Daisakusen!

QuoteI rated this solid horizontal shoot-'em-up as a '8 out of 10'.

This game has 3 difficulty settings - 'Beginner', which doesn't let you play all of the stages; 'Normal', which after beaten loops into 'Expert' mode with a very basic credit-less ending screen; and 'Expert', which after beaten simply loops again with the same very basic credit-less ending screen.  Both 'Beginner' and 'Normal' modes are actually pretty easy, with most of the bosses going down disconcertingly fast - some of them actually go down in 2 powered-up hits before they can even fire at you.  :shock:  'Expert' mode is quite difficult and should give most veteran shoot-'em-up gamers a nice challenge.  It's probably too much for me, although since you have unlimited continues, I might could 'quarter-feed' to the end, but since the last two levels must be beaten consecutively in one continue, maybe not.

The powerup system is pretty good with 5 different powerups which can each be powered up 3 times.  Some powerups are better for the stages, while the blue laser weapon will decimate all bosses.

Another nice feature is that all of the stages have alternate stages which can be accessed by finding a hidden item within the regular stage.  This definitely increases the replay value of this game.

Anyway, I do recommend this game to all who enjoy shoot-'em-ups.  The veterans will enjoy 'Expert' mode, and the rest of us will enjoy 'Normal' mode.
Edit:  I found my screen clear picture.

VenomMacbeth

I just tried playing Gate of Thunder for a few minutes.  The more I play it, the more I don't like it.  The graphics are pleasing, as is the overall atmosphere...but I really don't care for the music.  For some reason, it almost grates on me...level one for the detuned, whiny lead guitar, level two for its repetition...I've gotten farther but the game has yet to leave a lasting impression on me yet.  I may consider getting rid of it. -.-
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

johnnykonami

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 09/03/2015, 01:26 PMI just tried playing Gate of Thunder for a few minutes.  The more I play it, the more I don't like it.  The graphics are pleasing, as is the overall atmosphere...but I really don't care for the music.  For some reason, it almost grates on me...level one for the detuned, whiny lead guitar, level two for its repetition...I've gotten farther but the game has yet to leave a lasting impression on me yet.  I may consider getting rid of it. -.-
Wow, never thought I'd ever hear a bad word about GoT!  I personally like the music (and the game itself).  Played it tons when I got it as a duo pack-in.  My similar blasphemy is that I don't really care for the music in Lords of Thunder (most of it, anyway.)  Now, tons of games were using kind of a hard-rock, heavy on guitars type of soundtrack, so I guess you can get more specific about the particular genre... and for LoT, it's a little bit like European style power metal, which I am just not that into.  Great looking and playing game, though!  Don't get me wrong on that.

VenomMacbeth

I agree that it looks & plays fantastically, but for some reason for this console generation, I tend to prefer chip music over redbook.  I do agree that GoT has slightly higher quality redbook than many other PCE games, but the compositions just don't appeal to me.
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

esteban

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 09/03/2015, 01:42 PMI agree that it looks & plays fantastically, but for some reason for this console generation, I tend to prefer chip music over redbook.  I do agree that GoT has slightly higher quality redbook than many other PCE games, but the compositions just don't appeal to me.
YOU ARE INSANE.

Sure, if Gates of Thunder had trite, boring banal tunes—I could see you dismissing the Red Book.

But it doesn't.

I actually prefer electronic music, in general, but Gates and Lords do it right when it comes to metal/rock.

Another game with a great metal/rock soundtrack is HyperWars.

NecroPhile

First Godzilla and now Gate of Thunder?!?  Bitch, you cwazy!  :P

Bardoly

Clear #41 - Momotaro Katsugeki

IMG

Below is what I posted on PCE Daisakusen! about this game.

QuoteI'm going to give this action adventure/platformer-with-RPG-elements an '8 out of 10'.

I played through and beat this game recently, and I really enjoyed it, although I do not understand Japanese.  The gameplay is simple enough to understand and I beat the game without ever understanding what some of the shop items were.  This game is basically a side-scrolling platformer with a couple of vertical levels.  There is even an  underwater forced-scrolling horizontal shoot-'em-up stage for variety.  You have your basic sword weapon which shoots projectiles to destroy enemies.  You can upgrade your sword and projectiles by saving up coins to purchase a better weapon at the next town.  There is a town at the beginning of each stage where you can purchase various items from shops.  Enemies respawn, so if you want, you may 'grind' to save up coins to purchase items.  At the end of each stage there is a boss fight.

Overall, I must recommend this game, although the item/menu screens were intimidating at first, since they are all in Japanese.  On Pcenginefx, sunteam-paul posted a simplistic translating of this screen which helped me get past the entry barrier.

esteban

^ Does anyone have a screenshot (or two) of the shootemup stage from Momotaro Katsugeki?

I need to create an entry for it here:

https://archives.tg-16.com/complete_list_of_tg16_pce_shooters.htm?col=jp&val=mo

Mas

Hopefully in the mail today is raiden. I have never played or seen the first one in arcades or home. Can't wait for it.  I own the raiden games on the 360 and own raiden 3 for ps2

esteban

Quote from: Mas on 09/05/2015, 08:51 AMHopefully in the mail today is raiden. I have never played or seen the first one in arcades or home. Can't wait for it.  I own the raiden games on the 360 and own raiden 3 for ps2
Raiden is a very solid 6 mB HuCARD.

I LOVE IT.

You will, too.

PCE port = my FAVE 16-bit console version. :)

If you like it, get Super Raiden CD-ROM (Red Book + 2 extra levels).

PukeSter

Clear #58, Neutopia II

This is a game that improved throughout the game. Wrecking havoc with Level 3 Lighting by the final dungeon was truly a sight to behold.

The music was somewhat better, the graphics had better animations, and there was more magic and even towns were added. Also instead of a hub, there was an interconnected overworld.

I loved going to the Volcano and the Lake just to fight a boss. No dungeons, just kill the beast.

The 5th dungeon, the "twin towers", was an absolute monster. Five levels of pure hell. Dirth's 4 level pyramid wasn't even a threat.

A little too many block puzzles, but overall a fine adventure, with far less tedious parts than LTTP. There were even a couple of cutscenes, including the interactive prologue.

I give it an A-

Damon Plus

Military Madness, again. I put it for a quick Round 1, and before I realize it, I'm halfway through the game.

chemdream

Not nec, but I just started rogue squadron on n64. Fantastic game, but getting down those atats is so touchy!!!

***edit: read the post title quickly, didn't realize it was nec only. Nothing to see here.
Consoles: NES, SNES, N64, Wii, TG16, Master System, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS3, PS4, PSP, Vita, 3DS
Cabinets: Neo Geo, Capcom 18-in-1, CPS-II Multi, Donkey Kong, DK Junior, Dig Dug, Centipede, Tron, Simpsons 4 player, Nintendo VS

turboswimbz

Quote from: chemdream on 09/07/2015, 02:24 PMNot nec, but I just started rogue squadron on n64. Fantastic game, but getting down those atats is so touchy!!!
I don't even know where to begin... 

Anyway in the world of stuff that doesn't suck,   I've been readying up for some serious obey in RBG.  Just a few more connectors/cables needed.  Trying my luck at Gates of Thunder again...  I wish I was better at this game, can't make it past the 3rd stage.   I really need to sit down and focus to see if I can make a better go if it.  Anyone got tips for GOT?
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

pulstar

Currently having a blast on Galaga '88. Pretty nice little game...I've avoided it for years because I didn't really get into Galaga like I did Space Invaders. I've missed out, but no longer. :D
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

jtucci31

Quote from: turboswimbz on 09/07/2015, 04:08 PM
Quote from: chemdream on 09/07/2015, 02:24 PMNot nec, but I just started rogue squadron on n64. Fantastic game, but getting down those atats is so touchy!!!
I wish I was better at this game, can't make it past the 3rd stage.   I really need to sit down and focus to see if I can make a better go if it.  Anyone got tips for GOT?
One problem I had when starting to play it was that I kept getting confused with what was my ship or the other two ships next to mine. It helps to have the shield on you, for multiple reasons. For me that helped keep me focused. Not sure if that's a problem for you, but it helped me.

I also used the red weapon throughout the whole game, except for a few bosses. Not sure what weapon you're using.

PukeSter

Quote from: turboswimbz on 09/07/2015, 04:08 PM
I don't even know where to begin... 

Anyway in the world of stuff that doesn't suck
No need to be rude buddy.

A lot of people like Rogue Squadron, not to mention there's a new Star Wars movie coming out in December. It's a good time to play it.

o.pwuaioc

chemdream, I think there's a non-NEC "what are you playing" thread in the Console Chat. Check it out.

I've been giving Final Lap Twin a whirl again. I don't think I am in love with the RPG section, but so far this is my favorite iteration of an F1 racer.

PukeSter

Quote from: guest on 09/07/2015, 06:59 PMI've been giving Final Lap Twin a whirl again. I don't think I am in love with the RPG section, but so far this is my favorite iteration of an F1 racer.
I need to try this. I've played the Tennis RPG but wasn't too impressed. Is this any better?

Today, I beat Psychosis (Paranoia), with only one life. Pretty good shooter, though weird as hell, and very short. It's not spastic like Lost Sunheart is though.

For a Naxat shooter, it's not as good as W-Ring, but it's a little more unique in the enemy design.

o.pwuaioc

I never played Tennis RPG, but unless I'm mistaken, you're a Mario Tennis fan, right? That might have colored your perception of the game. Give Final Lap Twin a whirl if you like Pole Position and want something meatier to it.

Dicer

About to play Shape Shifter for the very first time ever...

Edit: Nice looking game, not saving properly though. :/

gheebee

Picked up Dragon Egg! recently and have been playing that on and off. I often get annoyed when I die on a boss battle and have to replay the level or part of it to get back to the boss and this game is one that doesn't do that but it will make you wish it did. By letting you continue from the boss this the game is screwing you over since you lose all your power ups when you die and are left to try and beat the boss with a weak weapon that has like no range. The game also seems kinda phoned in. It's fun to play (unless you get killed by a boss...) but the levels seem to get shorter and shorter as the game progresses and I figure that it wouldn't take much to be able to beat the game in under 20 minutes. In spite of this, I haven't beaten it yet... :/

datbuta

I just picked up Buster Bros from a local shop for 56$CDN taxes in... i don't know if thats a good price but it was cheaper than aero blasters... and its more fun

love the game.. great co-op gameplay... my gf loves it... plus the music is great... music is so good on turbo cd games ... well counting that this is only the second cd game i have but still.. i thought legendary axe's soundtrack was awesome.. its been awhile since i commented on a game soundtrack... since streets of rage 2

buster bros... great game!!

seieienbu

Paid a little bit more than I wanted to for it, ($75 iirc though I was hoping to get it for under $60) but I finally got a copy of Shockman.  Hopefully this weekend I'll have the time to play it through; so far I've been able to get just past the underwater shooting stage. 

I've wanted this game for some time; I'm glad that I was finally able to get my hands on it.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

PukeSter

Gheebee, I agree about Dragon Egg. Masaya may have rushed the game, especially with the horribly unbalanced difficulty. And the 4th level is only 30 seconds long.

I beat Ys III the other day, which is pretty good but the gameplay is less interesting than Exile, except boss fights.

I've also been playing a lot of Ninja Gaiden. I like it a lot more than the NES one, the difficulty is a little more balanced and the graphics are beautiful despite the choppiness in some levels. I've beat it a couple times now.

seieienbu

Quote from: guest on 09/10/2015, 06:04 PMI beat Ys III the other day, which is pretty good but the gameplay is less interesting than Exile, except boss fights.
After the rocking soundtrack, my favorite thing about Ys 3 is that I can start and finish the game in an afternoon.  I don't think it's a bad game.  It's just not what I really want when I want to play an Ys game.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

EmperorIng

The only sidescrolling Falcom game that has really stuck with me is Popful Mail. I don't think it was really their forte.

I recently 1cc'd Rabio Lepus and Down Load. Both are good games, with Down Load being extremely easy and Rabio packing quite the (rabbit) punch. Video System should have brought more games to the PC Engine.

VenomMacbeth

THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

EmperorIng

Dude, use chaser missiles. The game gives you a-nearly-infinite supply and not only do they cancel bullets (biggest advantage right here), they kill everything, including the last boss, in seconds. Also, use the right weapon for the right level (hint: alternate between laser and spread).

grolt

The lady and I were playing DARKWING DUCK tonight.  I've heard of its fowl (zing!) reputation, but to be honest it's not all that bad.  I like the conceit of collecting puzzle pieces to later "solve" the picture puzzle afterwards.  Nice that they let you finish a level without all the pieces so you can play it later, and being able to select levels in your own order is also fairly forward thinking.  Yes, it's very awkward to control and enemy placement and level design are sub-par, but at least you can Easy mode it and not really have to worry about taking a few extra hits with the clumsy controls.  Any fans?
I'm a notorious strange man.

esteban

Quote from: grolt on 09/12/2015, 02:21 AMThe lady and I were playing DARKWING DUCK tonight.  I've heard of its fowl (zing!) reputation, but to be honest it's not all that bad.  I like the conceit of collecting puzzle pieces to later "solve" the picture puzzle afterwards.  Nice that they let you finish a level without all the pieces so you can play it later, and being able to select levels in your own order is also fairly forward thinking.  Yes, it's very awkward to control and enemy placement and level design are sub-par, but at least you can Easy mode it and not really have to worry about taking a few extra hits with the clumsy controls.  Any fans?
There is one person. 

You.

I actually never forgave this game for its horrible controls.

I just.

Can't.

Quote from: EmperorIng on 09/11/2015, 06:15 PMThe only sidescrolling Falcom game that has really stuck with me is Popful Mail. I don't think it was really their forte.

I recently 1cc'd Rabio Lepus and Down Load. Both are good games, with Down Load being extremely easy and Rabio packing quite the (rabbit) punch. Video System should have brought more games to the PC Engine.
I tried to get into Sorcerian, but I quickly realized I had no clue what to do...

Faxanadu was a Hudson production (or co-production), so that doesn't count as a pure Falcom sidescroller).

Hmm... I'm trying to think of more....memory is failing me. 

As for Download, I think it is fun to replay with self-imposed challenges.

RABIO LEPUS is rarely discussed, sadly, except for the few times I talked about how I am drawn to quirky games...RABIO is OK...but I feel like it could have been a more memorable experience... the mechanics should have made the game more unique, I wish there was a mode that exaggerated the need for using "close combat skills" for certain enemies/obstacles+ without losing the need for traditional shootemup flair.

Still, a decent game. :)

EmperorIng

I can only imagine grolt's gal having the time of her life playing so many awful games night after night.

Quote from: esteban on 09/12/2015, 05:52 AMRABIO LEPUS is rarely discussed, sadly, except for the few times I talked about how I am drawn to quirky games...RABIO is OK...but I feel like it could have been a more memorable experience... the mechanics should have made the game more unique, I wish there was a mode that exaggerated the need for using "close combat skills" for certain enemies/obstacles+ without losing the need for traditional shootemup flair.
The arcade version (also released on JPN PS2) is more akin to what you are looking for (the melee is more important). Of course, Psikyo (the company that split off from V-System when they got sick of making mediocre V-System games) took things to the next level in terms of quality and uniqueness with games like Gunbird/Gunbird 2, Strikers 1945 II, Dragon Blaze, and Sengoku Aces/Blade. Charge shots, melee attacks, high difficulty levels, creative bosses... They did it all. Gunbird 2 is in the range of "best shmup ever" for me.

grolt

Quote from: EmperorIng on 09/12/2015, 03:03 PMI can only imagine grolt's gal having the time of her life playing so many awful games night after night.
We played DOUBLE DUNGEONS today...does that count?

esteban

Quote from: grolt on 09/12/2015, 03:15 PM
Quote from: EmperorIng on 09/12/2015, 03:03 PMI can only imagine grolt's gal having the time of her life playing so many awful games night after night.
YOU GOTTA LOOK AT EACH OTHER in Double Dungeons!!!!

It is the only time you get to appreciate the character art/graphics for the protagonists!

Maybe there is a mirror in the game? To see your reflection? I can't recall, but I don't think there is a mirror...

grolt

Quote from: esteban on 09/12/2015, 03:20 PM
Quote from: grolt on 09/12/2015, 03:15 PM
YOU GOTTA LOOK AT EACH OTHER in Double Dungeons!!!!

It is the only time you get to appreciate the character art/graphics for the protagonists!

Maybe there is a mirror in the game? To see your reflection? I can't recall, but I don't think there is a mirror...
There's no mirror, but there should be.  It's actually kind of surreal getting to see yourself in a first person game.  It would be like if Adol suddenly spoke in a Ys game.

o.pwuaioc

Had some friends over who were really excited to see the Turbo in action. One had never played a Turbo CD before, and the other hadn't played either console or add-on, so it was a fun romp.

We started with Ninja Spirit, before moving onto shooters (they're more shooters fans than anything, but of course how can one not absolutely love Ninja Spirit, so it had to be played first). For shooters we took turns on the 2min Soldier Blade challenge before playing through the end of that. Then we played a tiny bit of Gunhed before Sapphire was brought out. Sapphire was definitely the highlight of the night.

After that, we moved onto Strikers 1945 II (and some Master System shooters), after which one of the guys had to leave. All in all, a pretty fun day.

grolt

Quote from: guest on 09/12/2015, 06:12 PMHad some friends over who were really excited to see the Turbo in action. One had never played a Turbo CD before, and the other hadn't played either console or add-on, so it was a fun romp.

We started with Ninja Spirit, before moving onto shooters (they're more shooters fans than anything, but of course how can one not absolutely love Ninja Spirit, so it had to be played first). For shooters we took turns on the 2min Soldier Blade challenge before playing through the end of that. Then we played a tiny bit of Gunhed before Sapphire was brought out. Sapphire was definitely the highlight of the night.

After that, we moved onto Strikers 1945 II (and some Master System shooters), after which one of the guys had to leave. All in all, a pretty fun day.
What SMS shooters did you play?  There's a few that I used to love, but I have to admit after playing the shooters on the TG-16 they seem a little quaint by comparison.

Speaking of shooters, last night I fired up DRAGON SPIRIT and CYBER-CORE.  The games could be cousins and I'm amazed there is no homogeneity between the two production teams.  Both offer the same kind of play mechanics (blend between shooting and bombing from a vertical, overhead perspective) and both do a good job representing their world (dragons in one, insects in the other).  I found CYBER-CORE to be more playable - it had a quicker pace and was a little more forgiving than DRAGON SPIRIT and it's giant player sprite.  I was starting to become addicted to the CYBER-CORE gameplay of blasting that one little bug for extra powerups in my first run through and I made it all the way to the 7th level on my first playthrough before shutting it off.  Sounds like the last level ramps up in difficulty considerably though...