What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

csgx1

Rayxanber II is the more difficult one.  I been playing it on and off for a few years now with some progress.  A few months ago I had a lucky run through level 4 and got to level 6, but that's probably as far as I'll ever get with my meager shooter skills.

Gypsy

Thanks. Now I know to play 3 first.  :P

Psycho Punch

Rayxanber 3 is supposed to be the easier one but since I suck ass at shooters I can't pass stage 1-3 (the first boss) lol.  At least I can enjoy the awesome soundtrack in the sound test screen :P

edit: for reference, I can get to the moais in Gradius II and the giant tank boss in Raiden just fine. I just can't figure out the boost mechanics in Rayxanber.

As for Darius PLUS, I really don't think it's all that difficult but maybe I'm just used to it after hundreds of hours playing it. I prefer the CD version but I gave it away to someone here on secret santa so I just play the regular Hu version nowadays.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Green Beret

Quote from: guest on 08/10/2017, 03:59 PMRayxanber 3 is supposed to be the easier one but since I suck ass at shooters I can't pass stage 1-3 (the first boss) lol.  At least I can enjoy the awesome soundtrack in the sound test screen :P

edit: for reference, I can get to the moais in Gradius II and the giant tank boss in Raiden just fine. I just can't figure out the boost mechanics in Rayxanber.

As for Darius PLUS, I really don't think it's all that difficult but maybe I'm just used to it after hundreds of hours playing it. I prefer the CD version but I gave it away to someone here on secret santa so I just play the regular Hu version nowadays.
About Darius Plus Hucard version. I played it a little bit a few days ago for a first time and I found it very difficult. I have experience with G Darius ver2 and Darius Gaiden both on arcade hardware. Darius Plus felt more difficult.

nopepper

Quote from: geise on 08/08/2017, 11:32 AMBack on a Dragon Spirit kick! Such good music. I slightly enjoy it more over Saber. Close though.
I just beat Spirit, which must've felt like one of my greatest gaming accomplishments in awhile. The last bit of the last level was the toughest to get through, as I could make it there without getting hit once, but then the wheels always fell off. Thankfully had enough lifes in reserve (7) by then, that I was able to have a lucky run to the boss with a couple of speed ups and finish it off.

Just started Saber, and it feels tame in comparison. Was able to make it to level 5 (that speed chase bit) first day playing it, without breaking a sweat. Graphics are definitely better, music is close, but the level design is much less inspired. Definitely a much more user friendly game, and the dragon has a left/right animation this time, so it has that going for it.

Time will tell which one I think is better, but so far, Spirit is much more satisfying.

nopepper

Quote from: Green Beret on 08/08/2017, 11:53 AMR-Type I. I cam make it to 3rd stage. I then meet death
You'll find RType easy until you hit that wall, and it aint in the 3rd level, believe me.

This is one of the most mutherfucker games in the history of humanity, and its designers should rot in hell for eternity.

crazydean

Quote from: nopepper on 08/10/2017, 05:07 PM
Quote from: Green Beret on 08/08/2017, 11:53 AMR-Type I. I cam make it to 3rd stage. I then meet death
You'll find RType easy until you hit that wall, and it aint in the 3rd level, believe me.

This is one of the most mutherfucker games in the history of humanity, and its designers should rot in hell for eternity.
I gave up in the fire level (5?). I got tired of learning a small section only to die shortly afterwards, again and again...and again.

nopepper

Quote from: crazydean on 08/11/2017, 12:01 AMI gave up in the fire level (5?). I got tired of learning a small section only to die shortly afterwards, again and again...and again.
I beat the SMS version many, many moons ago. I literally tried to beat that game for over a year before I was able to make it, but then again, this was the late 80s and I was a teenager with a lot more time (and less games) on my hands.

I still love the game and play the Turbo version till the 4th level regularly, but there is no way I can put myself through going past that again, especially in the Turbo version, which is much harder. I've actually tried to fire up PCE RType II, to see if making the 5th level the "first" one would make it easier to memorize, but the game just throws so much random shit sometimes, it just makes me hate the people who made it.

GoldenWheels

Yeah R-type is basically a "play until first death" for me. It's a badass feeling when you're powered up--but man are you ultra puny once you die.

I'm not sure I even make level 5 most of the time.  :oops:

Green Beret

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 08/11/2017, 08:12 AMYeah R-type is basically a "play until first death" for me. It's a badass feeling when you're powered up--but man are you ultra puny once you die.

I'm not sure I even make level 5 most of the time.  :oops:
You are doing great! I play until first death too. I can go until middle level 3 for now but I become better.
I also play R-Type 2 and LEO both on arcade and they are both more difficult than I in PCE. In LEO I miss front protection.

All three are among the best horizontal shmups ever made in my opinion

Digi.k

Still playing Tokimeki Memorial

at the start of the 3rd year final semester.  You have a school trip, this vid I picked Okinawa and decided to head out alone and then I was accompanied by Yoshio Saotome your class friend.  There is a section in there where the game where your travelling buddy tells you that there is a focal point to head to...... and then it turns into a turn based RPG.  I think at the focal point the game just forces you to fend off a snake there and just when you are about to lose... a rodent steps in and....  saves the day ?!?!?!?!
Also during the 3rd year final semester.  Around October is the school culture festival and since I've been with the school computer club since the very beginning I unlocked the TwinBee mini game.

Psycho Punch

Farthest I ever went in R-Type was in the piston-train thingies level (6th I think) but most of the time I die repeatedly at stage 4 and quit.

edit: as for played games, I played (and beat) Exile yesterday. An average but very interesting game, I loved it even if it became boring close to the end. I'm impressed by how modern the title screen theme feels by the way, this could have been so much more, shame it was yet another rushed telenet game.
(theme at 4:06)
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:

esteban

Quote from: seieienbu on 08/08/2017, 11:41 PMI beat Valis 3 for the second time today.  The last time I beat it was in college playing a burn of the game.  A couple of years ago I picked up the game here and finally got around to beating it. 

The game's pretty hard!  Most notably, it took me forever to get past the section in stage 5 where you have to freeze enemies to become your platforms.
Don't worry, that is everyone's stumbling block.

First, to figure out what to do.

Then, to just friggin' do it without f*cking up.

:)

I love that part, though.

Such an elegant solution.

I have long argued that it is one of the best examples of great stage design (some say psychological warfare, depending on how long you try to *jump* with different characters).

The game also has some great moments of "puzzles" concerning the slide (again, forcing you to actually use each character's different skill set).
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Psycho Punch

JB Harold cleared. Well technically I never finished it but it's not my fault that the game didn't want to progress past the final 3 or so interrogations.

Having to watch the ending on youtube made me not want to play it ever again even though it was a pretty good mystery.

GoldenWheels

Atlantean. Taking my brain a long time to get used to the speed of the game, looking at the map, then the screen, back and forth, etc...do a lot of people play this on slow? I hated to make it easy from the get go (cop out) but man...even when I just creep I am getting blown the f up.

EmperorIng

Playing Iga Ninden Gao. The game is making me not want to play Iga Ninden Gao.

Could they at least have added a frame or two of animation in enemies before they awkwardly slide towards you?

Freeway2

Today I got my first chance at the muscle man shooter game.  Im still adjusting to it as the controls seems diffrent.  Im digging the animation and music/sounds.  Im a bit disappointed at the CD version of Altered Beast as it keeps getting hung up.
"If I took this cigarette and put it out on you would you love me"

MNKyDeth

Altered beast cd you need to play with the 1.0 or 2.0 cdrom card I thought. Higher versions caused issues with the game. I could be wrong but I remember reading this some time ago I think.

esteban

Quote from: EmperorIng on 09/09/2017, 07:05 PMPlaying Iga Ninden Gao. The game is making me not want to play Iga Ninden Gao.

Could they at least have added a frame or two of animation in enemies before they awkwardly slide towards you?
And you can't skip/speed up the lengthy dialogue with the bosses, can you?

This game could have been kool, but it comes up as rather mediocre...

AND I BOUGHT IT BECAUSE I WAS FOOLISH ENOUGH TO  FALL FOR the seller (here at pcefx) proclaiming: "Iga Ninden Gao is Legendary Axe Killer.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Psycho Punch

Nichibutsu games being "any game"-killer is equivalent to say that Die Hard is a Bloody Wolf killer. :lol:

Freeway2

Quote from: MNKyDeth on 09/10/2017, 01:37 AMAltered beast cd you need to play with the 1.0 or 2.0 cdrom card I thought. Higher versions caused issues with the game. I could be wrong but I remember reading this some time ago I think.
I popped a U.S. 2.0 card in a region modded pc engine duo and it booted up just like a TG-16 set-up would with the same screen.  It definitely worked alot better. I did some research up here and my copy is the problem copy.

Psycho Punch

It's not going to work with anything other than 1.0 system card, you'll get stuck after transforming into the beast if you're playing with other versions of the syscard.

There is an elusive 2nd version of the game that is fixed for later syscards but I'm still not sure if it exists at all.

Quote from: Psycho Punch on 10/28/2015, 03:06 PMhttp://redump.org/disc/34846/
Comments
The game is mostly in English.
This version supposedly works only with the System Card 1.0.

http://redump.org/disc/34847/
Comments
The game is mostly in English.
This version seems to work with all the official system cards.

GoldenWheels

Been playing Ryukyu...really a fun/different kind of puzzler.

I may never unlock the first glamour pic the way I am playing though.

Freeway2

Both BomberMan games are kicking my butt og and 93, Chase H.Q. and the remixed Download UK which is a treat(I had only played part one)

MisterCrash

I hooked up my SuperGrafx over the weekend and popped in Daimakaimura. Smooth controls and gorgeous graphics only highlight the fact that I royally suck at the game.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: MisterCrash on 10/03/2017, 06:55 AMI hooked up my SuperGrafx over the weekend and popped in Daimakaimura. Smooth controls and gorgeous graphics only highlight the fact that I royally suck at the game.
Its ok, the game sucks.  but yeah it looks and sounds good.

Shits up there in the high end of the "overrated as fuck" list.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

EmperorIng

Whoa, them's fightin' words. As long as you're just talking about the supergrafx port and not the arcade game.  [-X

NoSexGex

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 10/04/2017, 12:15 PM
Quote from: MisterCrash on 10/03/2017, 06:55 AMI hooked up my SuperGrafx over the weekend and popped in Daimakaimura. Smooth controls and gorgeous graphics only highlight the fact that I royally suck at the game.

On the Amiga is where it's at
For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: NoSexGex on 10/05/2017, 01:55 AM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 10/04/2017, 12:15 PM

On the Amiga is where it's at
yeah it's the best on that thing with a shit joystick and pressing up to jump.   

the game sucks.  everywhere.

The only one I really like is the Genesis one because the shitty USA box art is retardedawesome.

IMG

that shit is so metal.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Arkhan Asylum

im not fixing the width.   you can't contain that greatness.

also the SGX one, Arthur looks like John Holmes in platemail, lol

EmperorIng

Quote from: guest on 10/05/2017, 11:03 AMThe only one I really like is the Genesis one because the shitty USA box art is retardedawesome.
And he's shitting on Yuji Kaida's badass MD artwork as well?! Check yourself into the nearest mental hospital man. :P

PukeSter

GnG only gives 3 continues on the Supergrafx, and the sound is somehow worse! Sad!

NoSexGex

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 10/05/2017, 11:03 AMyeah it's the best on that thing with a shit joystick and pressing up to jump.   
:-" Pressing up to jump is pretty fucked up :-"
For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!

FraGMarE

For, uh, chiptune research purposes  ;)

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: EmperorIng on 10/05/2017, 05:49 PM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 10/05/2017, 11:03 AMThe only one I really like is the Genesis one because the shitty USA box art is retardedawesome.
And he's shitting on Yuji Kaida's badass MD artwork as well?! Check yourself into the nearest mental hospital man. :P
I wasn't shitting on his art.   I just mean I only like the genesis one because the box art looks fucking stupid.

MisterCrash

I played some Legend of Hero Tonma today. First time I played it months ago, I somehow couldn't get past the first boss. I must have hit him a hundred times and he didn't go down, and eventually  I had to quit.  This time, I beat him in about ten seconds.

I have the Japanese version, and didn't realize that the text between stages was in English (since I never got past the first stage before). Is there any difference between this and the US version?

EmperorIng

Not that I know of. They didn't even bother to fix the Engrish... I guess they never must regret it later. It feels as if all they did was change the cool box art (already western-inspired) into something far lamer for the Turbo, which is par the course.

The first boss is tricky since only his head can be hurt. Having the wave power-up means you need to jump in order to get that arc just right.

I beat the game without continues earlier this year (or late last; can't remember). What a great time! It's one of the best action-platformers on the system, imo.

I myself beat Gomola Speed today. I had this game for a little while and only recently put in the effort to beat it. I don't know if I am totally sold on the snake "eat the fruit" mechanics, which seem very fiddly, right to the end. Likewise with the movement, which seems overeager to set you on a collision course with an enemy. I can't knock the game for its creativity though. UPL was a company that made its name combining odd game mechanic ideas together and wrapping them up in a unique aesthetic (usually meshing cutesy chibi with HR Giger bio-mechanical horror!), and Gomola carries that torch pretty proudly.

Some of the maze levels can be pretty tedious, but many offer some neat mixture of adventure and dungeon-crawling, with puzzle thrown in for good measure. I'm so glad the game has a number of neat boss fights to punctuate the action. The final couple are pretty fierce encounters, though it feels too easy to get hit by some of the huge sprites or projectiles. The ending is pretty damn lame though, ha - although the curtain call cast-and-characters thing is always welcome for me.

Neat note that the game allows you to access the developers' debug mode, which makes for some nice messing around: putting your sprite where it's not supposed to be, warping to levels (or non-levels) that were on the cutting room floor (or stuff like the title screen as a navigable space!). It's always interesting when games let you see what's "under the hood."

EmperorIng

Beat Gomola Speed again today! This time in one sitting. Getting more familiar with the game helped me appreciate it a bit more. I still am not crazy about of few of the maze boards, but at least knowing where to go and where to bomb means they are over quickly.

I survived without using a continue up until round 15 (out of 25), which was pretty pleasing to me. I was hoping to get further, especially since I was close to one of those bonus rounds that give 1UPs. Stupid deaths...

I found out something that I don't know if others knew about Gomola Speed. Typically you are limited to 3 continues. However, there is a way to increase that amount in-game, with no cheats! Have you ever seen those little yellow ball critters (I think called "Ve" or something like that in the game's lineup) - yellow ball, eyes - with an S icon? Well, usually if you "eat" them, you get nothing (just a word bubble expressing frustration, it seems like). But! If you shepherd these yellow balls to the level's "EXIT" square, it will grant you another continue! I was able to get two (I missed a third) in my play. Really cool "secret" (maybe not-so secret?) to uncover.

Medic_wheat

So I have been replaying some Bonk 3 (Hu card) lately.

All kinds of fun. Oddly still enjoy the second game most.

PukeSter

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 10/08/2017, 09:39 PMSo I have been replaying some Bonk 3 (Hu card) lately.

All kinds of fun. Oddly still enjoy the second game most.
Bonk 2 is a complete package, a special game that gets too little love outside of the turbografx fan base. The structure of Sonic 2 with the fun factor of super Mario world. Shame 3 and super have issues.  Super bonk 2 is the bonk 3 we deserved.

Anybody play Liquid Kids? That game is a stone cold classic that I play religiously along with Bonk 2, super dodgeball and mr heli

MisterCrash

I've played Liquid Kids on the Saturn, but haven't tried it on the PC Engine. Any idea if the versions are different?

EmperorIng

Quote from: MisterCrash on 10/10/2017, 06:59 AMI've played Liquid Kids on the Saturn, but haven't tried it on the PC Engine. Any idea if the versions are different?
There are a number of differences, The game visually is stripped down on the PC Engine (as to be expected for a port to the system from the arcade). The number of levels present in the game were decreased: usually you get an end-of-stage "choose your next level" choice between two stages every level starting in world 2; in the PCE port it's only every other stage, and the stages they default you to (if you don't get to choose) are usually the "easier" of the two, if that makes sense.

The game plays fairly similar in a remarkable fashion (though I have a nagging feeling that the PCE port is a smidgen slower than the arcade), and it's impressive how much of the game they could fit on the PCE. Just about all the animations I remember are there, as are the boss fights, secrets, and such.

If for some reason you have a Saturn copy that's not to your liking, I'll gladly trade it to you for my HuCard  :wink:

PukeSter

Empering is right, though there's one key difficulty difference in Liquid Kids

In the PCE version, fire will stay in one spot. In the arcade version, fire rapidly spreads across floors, walls and ceilings, making boss fights significantly harder.

MisterCrash

I put in Air Zonk the other day, and made a startling discovery. The I button actually does something!

I don't have the manual, and when I had tried pushing I before, nothing happened, so I figured it was just a one-button shooter. I didn't realize I could HOLD the I button to unleash super fury.

I felt pretty stupid.

gheebee

Finally remembered to play some Splatterhouse on Halloween and just beat the game. Such a great Halloween game, I really like everything in it even though level 6 often frustrates me. 

Happy Halloween!

...now back to movies.

turboswimbz

Quote from: gheebee on 10/31/2017, 06:59 PMFinally remembered to play some Splatterhouse on Halloween and just beat the game. Such a great Halloween game, I really like everything in it even though level 6 often frustrates me. 

Happy Halloween!

...now back to movies.
LEVEL 6= GOO BABYS DAMN YOU, wait is this a colon?
LEVEL 7 = DAMN FLAMES, wait is this Flaming logs after irritating colon?
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Mzo

I went back to Bloody Wolf to finish it up. The level after Mzo was captured and I switched to Mzo2 took me forever to clear. I was coming up on the end and my fiancee made me turn it off to go to bed. :(

Some things never change.
HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
My Backloggery

Goemon

Just started Heavy Unit.
Its like the hardest opening to a game ever!
Took multiple attempts just to figure out part 1-1! The game even felt sorry for me at one point and moved me to 1-2 ><

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Goemon on 11/14/2017, 01:43 PMJust started Heavy Unit.
Its like the hardest opening to a game ever!
Took multiple attempts just to figure out part 1-1! The game even felt sorry for me at one point and moved me to 1-2 ><
that game sucks lol you can just stop playing it and move-on with your life.

turboswimbz

WandererfromYs...why active only 3 days?  Is this a nod to YS III?  Did you know your thread would still be going nearly 10 years later.....  DID YOU EVER FINISH NEUTOPIA!? SO many unanswered questions.....  :?: :?: :?:
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!