Guest Public Access (Chit-Chat forum is not visible to guests)

Started by NightWolve, 04/27/2012, 03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightWolve

A couple of weeks ago, I linked a thread from here to a friend in an IRC channel and he said he couldn't see it. I verified it and was very surprised to learn that guests can't see this board, you have to register, etc. So I wondered, was this always the case with this board ? I don't remember... Then I thought, was shutting down general public viewing the result of the recent security problems Aaron's been having like with the shoutbox ? I dunno what the rationale is beyond security or believing that forcing registration gains membership, or maybe the spambots, etc. but my vote is for turning on guest access/viewing. Thoughts ?

NecroPhile

Only Fighting Street is hidden from non-registered peeps, to hide our shame or some silly shat.  All other areas are open without logging in, which I just tested by accessing this thread amongst a few others.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

NightWolve

Ah, right you are! It's open again! I wonder why and for how long it was off before. I had tested it the day my friend said he couldn't see the thread after I pasted the link by using another browser that I hadn't logged in with and it wouldn't show the index, it'd ask you to register, so it WAS off before, but Aaron must've changed it since then ?? Anyway, well, there's goes the point of this thread... Heh! If someone can delete this, go ahead.

JoshTurboTrollX

I thought chit chat was also invisible to guests...
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

NightWolve

Ah NecroPhile, NOW I got one for ya that's current as of a minute ago! If you post small 128KB images in your post (the reason being you want the image to always be there and not have a broken link a year from now), a guest cannot see it!! Also, if you click on the link to see the full image, not the thumbnail, it asks you to log in! Possible reasons Aaron might've done this are for bandwidth I suppose. Anyhow, if it's unintentional, hopefully someone can change it. I don't see Aaron around much anymore, did he leave someone with mod rights the ability to manage things like that, or ??

NecroPhile

The simple solution is to not insert your images here; it's limited anyway, so save Aaron the bandwidth and create an account at imageshack or wherever.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

PCEngineFX

// Aaron Nanto | The Ultimate Resource for NEC Console Information!
Papa PCEFX 1997-2020 [Retired]
IMG

NightWolve

Aaron!!! You're alive!! Somebody actually wondered not having seen you post much around here. ;)

Well, I had a photobucket account which I went and used, but the reason I still like the internal image support feature better is because I know for sure that the image is always gonna be there as long as the forum is, and the viewed counting is nice too! Too many broken links from years back has been my experience using something external which is why I brought it up. I dunno how long these free image hosting sites are gonna last, as I don't understand how they're making money being just image repositories, but seems photobucket is still there and I had that for at least 3-4 years, though I didn't use it much.

NightWolve

Tried to link to a thread under the Chit-Chat forum and found that it's locked out to guests...again. To PM Aaron or not to PM him??

tggodfrey

Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy