Dracula-x unused graphics

Started by TurboXray, 02/08/2015, 07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurboXray

I had this a while ago, and was currently moving stuff around.. so I figured I should share it:

This appears to be an unused enemy/monster in the game.

pcedev.net/drac-x/drac-x-1.png

Here's a look when applied to a random enemy palette:

IMG

This wasn't just some random stuff left in the ISO (like a lot of games), but this is actually contained in the game itself. And of all things, it's loaded in vram on stage1-1. As far as I know, this isn't used in game. Unless there's a hidden area where it's used?

Gentlegamer

A type of dragon it seems. Definitely never saw it in the game.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

TurboXray

Yeah, some sort of dragon serpent thingy.

Apparently those sprites belong to this:

IMG

ccovell

Wow!

Get it working in the game again!  :-D

SamIAm

Medic_wheat

Very interesting. If only I still had photoshop I would like to see the emeny recombined.

seieienbu

wowow!  That's cool.  I wish he'd remained in the game/been completed, that thing's awesome looking.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

TurboXray

I'm not exactly sure how to enable him. He's there, and all, but I can't get the sprite and logic for him to show up. I only know how to re-order the BG screens. At $3d00, there are the following screens: 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 05. The first 05 entry is the 'end of level marker', which is why you can get to him. The 'double posts' screen is 05 (it has a foreground post), which makes sense because he's so big he needs a cleared area. He's actually setup to work with the dynamic tiles, which makes the BG behind him scroll as another layer. His screen, 06, followed by another 05 screen after him. There are multiple control variables, and I can extend the length of the 'area', but there's another variable (end of level?) that keeps getting in the way. I can't seem to figure this one out. If I could move that, along with the length of the stage var, then the game would probably load him correctly.

Apparently, the BG map data and the foreground stuffs (including enemies and game logic), don't use the same map number system/whatever. I haven't figured out. But fun side is, you can see how the sub-level is laid out and what 'rooms' aren't normally accessible or hidden.

Note as cool, but I found this (a hidden stage):
IMG
Translation for the bottom part?

cjameslv

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 02/08/2015, 10:51 PMVery interesting. If only I still had photoshop I would like to see the emeny recombined.
Quote from: seieienbu on 02/09/2015, 12:19 AMwowow!  That's cool.  I wish he'd remained in the game/been completed, that thing's awesome looking.
Possibly looked like this:

IMG

HailingTheThings

IMG

NightWolve

SephirothTNH

Quote from: TurboXray on 02/09/2015, 12:50 AMNote as cool, but I found this (a hidden stage):
IMG
Translation for the bottom part?
1993 秋 発売予定
乞御期待

I don't have a damn clue what 乞御 means but "expected to be released autumn 1993."

Tatsujin

wow super great find :D

never knew about this..lol who even did, beside the programmers themselves :D

btw. 乞御期待 is "kougokitai" and is kind of the Japanese equivalent for "stay tuned".
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Tatsujin

btw. this hidden stage probably must be part of the Dracula X taikenban disc, which once was a pre-released teaser of the game.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

NecroPhile

Sweet find!  It's like jabba the dragon, so where's princess maria and the golden bikini?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 02/09/2015, 09:31 AM
Quote from: guest on 02/09/2015, 09:17 AMSweet find!  It's like jabba the dragon, so where's princess maria and the golden bikini?
isn't maria supposed to be 12? Sicko...
Isn't that the legal age of consent in Japan?

ccovell

Medic_wheat

ohhhhhhhhhh

Ok

I want Doritos now.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Nulltard on 02/09/2015, 09:31 AMisn't maria supposed to be 12? Sicko...
Do you think sex every time you see a kid in a swimsuit?  Who's the sicko here?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

InfraMan

Holy crap, that's cool!

Umm... the sprite thing, I mean. Not all the questionable pedo stuff.

xcrement5x

That is pretty awesome.  Props to you for finding this cool dragon-lizard!
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

SuperPlay

Great find, thanks for sharing :-)

esteban

AWESOME!

i60.tinypic.com/f380mr.gif
pcedev.net/drac-x/dx-3.png

Quote from: Tatsujin on 02/09/2015, 06:17 AMbtw. this hidden stage probably must be part of the Dracula X taikenban disc, which once was a pre-released teaser of the game.
Tell me more. Any videos/articles on this ?
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Medic_wheat

Quote from: esteban on 02/09/2015, 04:10 PMAWESOME!

i60.tinypic.com/f380mr.gif
pcedev.net/drac-x/dx-3.png

Quote from: Tatsujin on 02/09/2015, 06:17 AMbtw. this hidden stage probably must be part of the Dracula X taikenban disc, which once was a pre-released teaser of the game.
Tell me more. Any videos/articles on this ?
This would make for a interesting poster as is.

In fact.  Right click and save.

TurboXray

Quote from: ccovell on 02/08/2015, 08:50 PMWow!

Get it working in the game again!  :-D
I don't really have the time to dedicate to this :/ If anyone else wants to take a crack (of the whip) at it?

CrackTiger

It likely was going to use neck segments and wouldn't look as weird, since only the front bit would be visible while fighting it. Those segments I used for the neck mockup have orange lighting which matches the base of the neck. Still, they probably cut it because they weren't happy with it and ran out of time to work on it.

IMG
IMG
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

jperryss

I wonder if this was intended to be the 5' boss that later appeared in the PSP remake ?

TurboXray

Quote from: guest on 02/09/2015, 07:57 PMIMG
The 2nd image looks more appropriate. I was thinking the same thing for how the brownish sheen matches the back. That stair case isn't supposed to be next to him - it's a whole cleared area (think of the area right passed the two posts). And he can move back and forth, for the way the screen scrolls. The beam he shoots can be altered on the angle slightly too. And there are other attack sprites that go with it (a charge on the mouth area, and the floor hit spark/wave).

Can't say if he is completely finished (AI), but all the graphics are there for him to function properly. Also, I can get the ground to show - it's just not in that pic (the map engine is very powerful, flexible and complex - so I don't understand all the variables involved). 

I suspect he's functional, because all the assets are there as well as the map/stage layout for him. Probably taken out in near the end stage of development (why waste memory on it if they aren't going to use it? They could have used that room for other animation).

If I could just figure out how to find/change that end of sublevel marker/variable. I've messed around with other areas, and changed to screens with 'doors' - but they don't function (or show up) either. There's gotta be some sort of 'object' map. The problem is, Konami didn't make ram as one linear layout; it's got chunks in between code, etc. So it's harder to looks for data patterns in memory (ram).

RyuHayabusa

Quote from: SamIAm on 02/08/2015, 10:26 PMNice work!

Any sign of this dude ?

IMG
Looks like the Golem boss from the Haunted Castle arcade game.

IMG

cjameslv

Quote from: TurboXray on 02/09/2015, 09:19 PM
Quote from: guest on 02/09/2015, 07:57 PMIMG
The 2nd image looks more appropriate. I was thinking the same thing for how the brownish sheen matches the back. That stair case isn't supposed to be next to him - it's a whole cleared area (think of the area right passed the two posts). And he can move back and forth, for the way the screen scrolls. The beam he shoots can be altered on the angle slightly too. And there are other attack sprites that go with it (a charge on the mouth area, and the floor hit spark/wave).

Can't say if he is completely finished (AI), but all the graphics are there for him to function properly. Also, I can get the ground to show - it's just not in that pic (the map engine is very powerful, flexible and complex - so I don't understand all the variables involved). 

I suspect he's functional, because all the assets are there as well as the map/stage layout for him. Probably taken out in near the end stage of development (why waste memory on it if they aren't going to use it? They could have used that room for other animation).

If I could just figure out how to find/change that end of sublevel marker/variable. I've messed around with other areas, and changed to screens with 'doors' - but they don't function (or show up) either. There's gotta be some sort of 'object' map. The problem is, Konami didn't make ram as one linear layout; it's got chunks in between code, etc. So it's harder to looks for data patterns in memory (ram).
ya the second one for sure. I think the other part was his leg. I saw the brown sheen on top but then i saw it on his side too. Maybe only 2 neck sections though?

NightWolve

New entry eventually for The Cutting Room Floor then ?

https://tcrf.net/Akumajou_Dracula_X:_Chi_no_Rondo

For formatting standards, it would look like this to match:

https://tcrf.net/Castlevania_II:_Simon%27s_Quest

A simple "Unused Enemy" section.

IMG IMG

Gredler

Threads like this make this forum a gold mine of information in my opinion, thanks so much for sharing!

rcantor77

This is a great if only there was a way to unlock this in the game... or even better if someone indeed found a Taikenban version of this.

And I would have thought by looking at it that the line sprite would actually be a laser coming out of his eyes not mouth.
PC-Engine.co.uk - definitive hardware listing for all PC Engine and Turbo Grafx systems.

rcantor77

And I would have thought by looking at it that the line sprite would actually be a laser coming out of his eyes not mouth.

PC-Engine.co.uk - definitive hardware listing for all PC Engine and Turbo Grafx systems.

OldRover

It reminds me of Gergoth.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

TurboXray

BUMP
(Maybe some hacker out there is interested in enabling this..)