RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Sega CD CD-Rs?

Started by chemdream, 04/22/2016, 10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chemdream

Have any of you had success burning Sega CD roms?

(I only have Linux computers)

I'm using CDRDAO. I've never had a problem with it, burning bin/cue for other systems.

When I burn with normal settings, the game works, but the music is all static. Sound FX are fine.

When I burn with the audio bits swapped, the music now works, but the sprites are not visible.
Consoles: NES, SNES, N64, Wii, TG16, Master System, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS3, PS4, PSP, Vita, 3DS
Cabinets: Neo Geo, Capcom 18-in-1, CPS-II Multi, Donkey Kong, DK Junior, Dig Dug, Centipede, Tron, Simpsons 4 player, Nintendo VS

schweaty

I use imgburn on the slowest speed I can (8x) and have had no problems burning Sega CD or PC engine games.  Could it be the ROMs you are using?

NightWolve

Few here can speak for Linux and CDRDAO. If you could find a Windows box, yeah, ImgBurn would be the thing to use.

I'm curious, what is this setting about bits swapping that's giving you different results ?

xcrement5x

Most Sega CD games are done in the redbook type format like PCE stuff so make sure you are doing a BIN/CUE/WAV format when you rip the discs. 

Joe Redifer

I don't think BIN/CUE/WAV are allowed on most sites any more as they've switched to CUE/ISO or CUE/BIN. That way all of the music is uncompressed because cheap assholes liked to compress that to MP3.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: chemdream on 04/22/2016, 10:06 AMHave any of you had success burning Sega CD roms?

I'm using CDRDAO. I've never had a problem with it, burning bin/cue for other systems.

When I burn with normal settings, the game works, but the music is all static. Sound FX are fine.

When I burn with the audio bits swapped, the music now works, but the sprites are not visible.
I've been using Linux off and on for 17 years.
 K3B should have no problem burning most discs.

With that said it sounds like the problem is with your Sega CD more so than how you're burning discs.  If you're trying to back up your old games for old consoles burning at the lowest speed available to your burner is recommended. Also try a few different brands of discs, some seem to have better success than others.
--DragonmasterDan

TDIRunner

Several people recommended to me to use high quality CDR media, specifically JVC Taiyo Yuden.  I've had very good results with that brand using imgburn with the slowest possible speed.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

pcenginekidd

Hey, I've burned pretty much every sega cd game on cdr and while it was tricky at first I find it ultimately simpler than pc engine cd burning. general rules of thumb: find bin cue downloads this makes everything easy, and they are available for almost all games worth playing (i'm not being snooty either this list includes plenty of stinkers): free roms is a great site iso zone and emu paradise make good backups just find the bin cue version ( the downloads will always be 250 to 500 mb if you want to check before download)  then use a program that will mount the image file, you'll know if your burner can handle it if you click on the cue file and it auto mounts the bin (you can find cue makers and all this other git hub nonsense but don't waste your time). This will let you play snatcher, bari arm yadda yadda yadda if you really want to play a game there are only iso's of then read the rambling part below:   

For a long time Bin Cue was the only format I could trust which left me unable to play some un available roms: heimdall and cobra space adventure for example which were only available in sketchy 62 mb iso downloads but I recently had a breakthrough on iso's as well. I use a mac which everyone online seems to say makes it way harder for burning any game but all you need to understand is that a macbook HATES burning below 8x so just don't bother, I use liquid cd instead of toast titanium it's much simpler and toast seems to mess up the drivers on my burner more frequently, it's supposed to be a direct copy of imgburn so I would try imgburn if liquid cd is non linux. Liquid cd's lowest burn speed is 10x  which I use and I have had very few burn errors, most of those are with pc engine games it seems that the laser on my cdx is much more forgiving. I have read the 1st model of sega cd is more picky however, that may be your problem if you burn discs that an emulator like kega can run but your console can not. If you read the collectorghanda the best version is the jvc x'eye due to its durability and it is cheaper than the cdx. Personally using the voltron version would frustrate me w all the power cables anyway.

also on cd quality: where pc engine games require me to use higher quality cd's like verbatim etc (I can still use crappy ones just with higher error margins) the sega cd is pretty good about reading any old disc that being said it wouldn't hurt to keep it classy w yudens or verbatim.

esadajr

weird. IMGBurn works like a charm under Linux via Wine.
Gaming since 1985

NightWolve

That's a pretty good Windows emulation layer then if an app that deals with sending SCSI command packets to drives for CD reading/burning works without trouble!

poponon

Quote from: chemdream on 04/22/2016, 10:06 AMHave any of you had success burning Sega CD roms?

I think I mentioned this in your other thread, or maybe it was someone elses - i always find the problem with burning is the quality of the dump. check your pms

Joe Redifer

Quote from: pcenginekidd on 05/02/2016, 09:36 AMI use liquid cd instead of toast titanium
Thanks, I'll give Liquid CD a try. Toast Titanium takes FOREVER to burn a disc with data audio tracks (ie CUE/BIN) and it's rarely perfect. I usually just use IMG BURN on Windows running virtually on my Mac.

chemdream

So, as it turns out CDRDAO on Linux was working perfect for me.

The problem happened to be the connection between the genesis and the sega cd!

No one here asked me "Is it plugged in?"  :oops:
Consoles: NES, SNES, N64, Wii, TG16, Master System, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS3, PS4, PSP, Vita, 3DS
Cabinets: Neo Geo, Capcom 18-in-1, CPS-II Multi, Donkey Kong, DK Junior, Dig Dug, Centipede, Tron, Simpsons 4 player, Nintendo VS

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG