10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Nintendo Switch Thread (previously NX)

Started by Otaking, 07/03/2016, 08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirhcman

I think this is a better comparison of Wii U vs Switch graphics

crazydean

Quote from: guest on 03/01/2017, 07:04 PMI think this is a better comparison of Wii U vs Switch graphics
So the Switch draws slightly better circles and has less blooming...meh.

majors

You're forgetting that it's hard to take the Wii-U on the road and play on the go(well, for two hours at least)
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

Otaking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

BigusSchmuck

Sounds like the general consensus is this is a portable Wii-U with cartridges.... I still want one though lol

Otaking

Initial reviews of Zelda BOTW are starting now and the ones Ive seen/read so far are giving it 10/10 saying it's the "perfect game", "Nintendo's greatest ever game".

My prediction is now because of this the Switch console will completely sell out at launch.
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

jlued686

Picking mine up tonight at midnight. I'm going to try to get another set of Joy Cons with it as well. The games I'm getting are:

Zelda
Bomberman
1-2 Switch (for the family)
Snipperclips
Fast RMX
Shovel Knight bundle.

That's a pretty good launch lineup, IMO.

NecroPhile

One AAA title, one second (maybe third) tier title, three shovelwares, and one three year old multiplatform game..... yeah, that's a stellar lineup.  :lol:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

jlued686

Hey, I didn't say stellar!

But what's shovelware? Snipperclips looks fuckin' fun. I have Fast Racing Neo on Wii U and that's pretty damned good. And the Shovel Knight bundle has the new Spectre Knight game included.

I'll give you 1-2 Switch. I'm only buying that for the goofy bullshit to play with the family.

LostFlunky

Honestly, I probably won't have time to finish Zelda before the games start rolling out, but that is not much of a launch lineup at all... I guess it is pretty much in line with some past Nintendo launches - N64, SNES, but look at the Wii-U launch line-up (and we all know how that worked out):

U.S. launch: November 18, 2012

Assassin's Creed III
    Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition
    Ben 10: Omniverse
    Call of Duty: Black Ops II
    Chasing Aurora
    Darksiders II
    Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
    ESPN Sports Connection
    FIFA Soccer 13
    Funky Barn
    Game Party Champions
    Just Dance 4
    Little Inferno
    Madden NFL 13
    Mass Effect 3: Special Edition
    Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition
    Nano Assault Neo
    NBA 2K13
    New Super Mario Bros. U
    Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
    Nintendo Land
    Rabbids Land
    Scribblenauts Unlimited
    Sing Party
    Skylanders: Giants
    Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
    Tank! Tank! Tank!
    Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition
    Transformers: Prime – The Game
    Trine 2: Director's Cut
    Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
    Wipeout 3
    Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013
    ZombiU

NecroPhile

I was just teasing ze King.  It's a weak launch, especially since the online service won't be ready for months, but who really cares?  No systems launch with a ton of great games, but there's nothing stopping peeps from waiting a few months for better game choices, lower prices, and likely more reliable hardware.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

jlued686

Oh, I like "ze King".

Definitely not a strong launch. Enough to keep me busy, though.

Did you guys see Blaster Master 0? Coming out next week and it looks surprisingly good!

Otaking

My Switch console with Zelda has been dispatched by Amazon and actually arrives tomorrow. I didn't realise it worked like that, I was expecting they would dispatch it tomorrow on release date and then I probably wouldn't get it until around Tuesday next week.

ToyMachine78

I gotta get one so I can finally play bomberman, street fighter 2, and skyrim!!!

KnightWarrior

I made my own opinion on the Switch and Zelda

Gredler

Zelda has me peeldn; between it and Horizon Zero Dawn I think my modern action adventure game fix will be set for the year.

My fiance seems odly stoked to play bomberman and snipperclips with me too.

I also keep thinking, danm I hope there is a EA NHL and Madden port to this. Seems PERFECT for tailgating and gambling.

Otaking

Sarumaru

Gredler

Quote from: Sarumaru on 03/02/2017, 06:48 PMIMG
Yep, poor horizon. Under the Zelda bus it goes; poor release timing?

bob

TR0N

Quote from: Sarumaru on 03/02/2017, 06:48 PMIMG
:lol: I don't even get why these two games are being compared.Both have a open world and that's the only thing that makes them similar.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

jlued686

Quick impressions before I head to bed:

-Slick system, especially when portable.
-Easy setup and quick navigation.
-Hooray for cartridges!
-Joy-Cons are tiny. Gonna take some time to get used to.
-Fast RMX is indeed fast.
-Not a fan of the angled perspective in Bomberman.

That's it for now. Gotta work in the morning.

Joe Redifer

Is Fast RMX a real game or digital only?

wildfruit

Well the shops have been open for a couple hours now and, at least locally to me, stocks are still available. No pre order wash outs, which is good I guess.

LostFlunky

You know what pisses me off (but not really)...

I am going to end up buying BOTW at least twice, because I have decided to wait out the Switch at least until the fall or whenever the Mario game comes out.

So a Zelda game will be the first and last games I buy for the Wii U... as I bought the Windwaker LE..

Same thing happened with the GCN-Wii - bought TP twice

The only Zelda (console release) besides BOTW I haven't already bought at least twice is Skyward Sword. 

And people think Nintendo's marketing sucks?

bob

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 03/03/2017, 08:01 AMAnd people think Nintendo's marketing sucks?
marketing is all Nintendo is now.  can create hype like no other, then release disappointing products.
but they dont care, they get peoples commitment in pre-orders before anything is even released.

jperryss

Quote from: KingDrool on 03/03/2017, 02:29 AMQuick impressions before I head to bed:

-Slick system, especially when portable.
-Easy setup and quick navigation.
-Hooray for cartridges!
-Joy-Cons are tiny. Gonna take some time to get used to.
-Fast RMX is indeed fast.
-Not a fan of the angled perspective in Bomberman.

That's it for now. Gotta work in the morning.
But how do the cartridges taste?

jlued686

TheClash603

Quote from: KingDrool on 03/03/2017, 10:17 AM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/03/2017, 04:20 AMIs Fast RMX a real game or digital only?
Digital.
Is Fast RMX 4 players?  Do you think it's worth $20?

I haven't seen any reviews on this game yet, but was figuring I'd pick it up if it was good.

Dicer

jtucci31

That sheds some light on some things, thanks!

Gredler

PukeSter

Quote from: TheClash603 on 03/03/2017, 12:14 PM
Quote from: KingDrool on 03/03/2017, 10:17 AM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/03/2017, 04:20 AMIs Fast RMX a real game or digital only?
Digital.
Is Fast RMX 4 players?  Do you think it's worth $20?

I haven't seen any reviews on this game yet, but was figuring I'd pick it up if it was good.
It's an update of Fast Racing NEO, which was already quite good.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/fast-racing-neo

Switch port has more tracks and even better graphics.

My Switch is sitting at my house with Zelda and Bomberman...gotta wait one more week to play it.

Gredler

My friend code is SW-4571-7560-1042

Been playing Zelda, got Bomberman but haven't opened it, and considering getting snipperclips as a downloadable game for it

Joe Redifer

Good to see friend codes are back! Everyone loves friend codes! Why can't Sony or Microsoft get online right like Nintendo does???

Fast RMX sounds like a cool death sled racing game. Are there weapons or is it pure racing action?

TheClash603

Downloaded Fast RMX and played 4 player last night, was very happy with it.  Game could've gotten away with a $40 retail release in my opinion.  Graphics were sharp, game moves fast, and the alternating boost color system is interesting.  No weapons in the game, but you can spin out opponents with a well timed boost.

Also played Bomberman which was exactly as expected, though I noticed it somewhat hard to always hit a direction in the right place to go down a path.  One of the 4 guys at my house hates Bomberman, so we only played 3 rounds.  I am excited for the co-op story mode.

1 2 Switch was less interesting. There were a few games which were pretty neat, some were shit, but none really had anyone excited.  I have a feeling it won't get played many more times, will probably show my gf and family and that's it.

Psycho Punch

Can't wait for my switch to arrive so I can play Vroom in the Night Sky.

Quote from: TheClash603 on 03/04/2017, 03:42 PMOne of the 4 guys at my house hates Bomberman
sever
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

SuperGrafx

Those SOB's at Walmart!
I went to pick up my pre-ordered Switch today. 
Upon showing my receipt, the associate had a nervous expression in his face.  After checking with his colleagues, they informed me that a mistake was made and that all Switch systems were gone.

They refunded my pre-purchase amount and added a $25 gift card, but that royally sucks!

Gredler

Ask if arkhan will sell you his, he doesn't like it and wants to return it

Arkhan Asylum

So far, I like Zelda.

I hate the Switch though.

The D-Pad sucks.  The grippy thing crams the two halves too close together.

The right pad died after an hour or so.   I then discovered that I couldn't charge the things unless I play in handheld mode.   I figured they'd let you charge in the dock and still play if you want to look stupid and hold the dock and all.      Nope.   Docking disables input.   Boo.

I had to buy a separate charger grip that is the same as the one that came with Switch, but, it has a stupid proprietary USB thing.   That's horse shit.

then I got some blue rubber grip covers that looked cool.  Officially licensed by Nintendo.

CAN'T PUT JOYCONS INTO CONTROLLER GRIP IF THEY ARE ON.    You can use them if you're handheld-mode, but once you want to use the controller grip, you're fucked.

"but the controllers free float! why use the controller grip!?"

because I want to charge the stupid things while playing.

Out of box, the Switch does not function as the hybrid they advertised.

This pisses me off.

Also, docking seems like it will inevitably fuck the screen up because it is hard plastic inside the dock, and the screen rubs up on it like a cheap stripper trying to get some 5$ bills.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

wildfruit

Quote from: guest on 03/05/2017, 04:39 AM.

Also, docking seems like it will inevitably fuck the screen up because it is hard plastic inside the dock, and the screen rubs up on it like a cheap stripper trying to get some 5$ bills.
That's pretty shabby. There seem to be a lot of reports of a similar defect. I'm amazed they're not more scathing in their outlook on this. Most seem geared towards doing a home made fix to this rather than calling Nintendo out on poor design. I get it doesn't actually affect the viewable area, but still it probably won't look that great after some heavy docking & undocking.
Still probably get one when that mario hits at the end of the year though, unless some major epic AAA title appears. Cough metroid.

Dicer

The Joycon batteries last 20 hours, so if you are burning through that, you need to take a damn break lol...

That said the charge grip should be the ONLY grip and should have come packed in along with 1,2 shit.

Also, the scratching thing, I have no idea how that got past them...why the screen is plastic vs. gorilla glass is boggling.

Otherwise, people seem to enjoy the thing overall aside from these issues.

Out of the box you should dock it, charge it and update it, not burn through whatever battery is left then get mad.

TheClash603

I don't know if I buy the 20 hour battery life, I had friends come over and we played for maybe 3 hours and it went down to half battery on the indicator, after all controllers had been fully charging the night before.

Pro Controller is my primary way of playing all games that allow it (aka - not 1 2 Switch), though it is obnoxious it costs an additional $80 to play the games the right way.  An additional $160 if you want the guy you are playing Street Fighter against to have a good controller.

Screen scratching is definitely going to be an issue.  Seems odd they didn't put a $0.10 piece of soft material on the inside of the dock.  I think I may buy a big lense cleaning cloth from Walmart today and do my own fix, but shouldn't have to.

Last night my girlfriend came home when I was playing Zelda and said she wanted to watch some shitty TV show so I undocked and played handheld, she then fell asleep 2 hours later cause her TV shows are boring so I redocked and was back in TV mode, it felt very natural and I was surprised with how good Zelda played in handheld mode for 2 hours.

Finally I created two foreign Nintendo Shop accounts so that I could buy non-US release games if I choose.  The process was very quick and easy, though it would be easier if they just let you buy the games from you existing profile since they are region free afterall... Maybe it's a currency thing, because the sellers need to get paid in their home currency, which from my experience working with international businesses may be true.

sirhcman

Quote from: guest on 03/05/2017, 04:39 AMThe D-Pad sucks.  The grippy thing crams the two halves too close together.
Are you referring to the d-pad on the Pro controller?

BigusSchmuck

Welp, went ahead and did the Gamestop bundle thing for $450. I'll have to wait for it to show up in the next couple of weeks when they get more stock. At least it isn't a repeat of the shortages with the Wii. 4 joycons, 2 games (Zelda and Bomberman) and a charger. Well worth the wait I hope.

DeshDildo

I got sucked in by Zelda.  My original plan was to hold out for deeply discounted WiiU's and grab Zelda for that.  Nintendo pulled a fast one on me though so I decided I may as well bite the bullet and grab a Switch.  They're selling like hotcakes around here but I only had to wait in a 30 minute line this morning to get one so no big.  I purchased a pro controller along with Zelda.  I'm glad I got the pro controller but was pleasantly surprised that the stock stuff isn't near as bad as I expected.  It's definitely not amazing but acceptable.  After my son and his friends played it for 4 hours I finally got my chance.  I am loving Zelda so far.  90% of it's use has been in the dock but I used it for about an hour in "mobile mode" while I babysat a new computer I built while downloading all of the updates, drivers etc. 

I also purchased a screen protector (comes in some travel kit bullshit for $9.99).  DON'T GET IT!  Make your own or wait for others to make one.  I've applied many, many screen protectors on phones in my day but this one I got wasn't cut right to begin with and I can't get all of the bubbles out of it.  Sucks my nuts.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Desh on 03/06/2017, 02:38 AMI got sucked in by Zelda.  My original plan was to hold out for deeply discounted WiiU's and grab Zelda for that.  Nintendo pulled a fast one on me though so I decided I may as well bite the bullet and grab a Switch.  They're selling like hotcakes around here but I only had to wait in a 30 minute line this morning to get one so no big.  I purchased a pro controller along with Zelda.  I'm glad I got the pro controller but was pleasantly surprised that the stock stuff isn't near as bad as I expected.  It's definitely not amazing but acceptable.  After my son and his friends played it for 4 hours I finally got my chance.  I am loving Zelda so far.  90% of it's use has been in the dock but I used it for about an hour in "mobile mode" while I babysat a new computer I built while downloading all of the updates, drivers etc. 

I also purchased a screen protector (comes in some travel kit bullshit for $9.99).  DON'T GET IT!  Make your own or wait for others to make one.  I've applied many, many screen protectors on phones in my day but this one I got wasn't cut right to begin with and I can't get all of the bubbles out of it.  Sucks my nuts.
The weird thing is I have been unable to find a cheap Wii U. I thought oh cool they discontinued. That means the remaining new stock will be on clearance.   Nope seems people rushed out and bought up all remaining new stock in stores. Now they are trying to flip it. Then I thought well okay used systems will be clearlanced. Nope still going $256 used at game stop IF you can find one.

Geezzzz

What ever happened to getting things on clearance.

sirhcman

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 03/06/2017, 10:12 AM
Quote from: Desh on 03/06/2017, 02:38 AMI got sucked in by Zelda.  My original plan was to hold out for deeply discounted WiiU's and grab Zelda for that.  Nintendo pulled a fast one on me though so I decided I may as well bite the bullet and grab a Switch.  They're selling like hotcakes around here but I only had to wait in a 30 minute line this morning to get one so no big.  I purchased a pro controller along with Zelda.  I'm glad I got the pro controller but was pleasantly surprised that the stock stuff isn't near as bad as I expected.  It's definitely not amazing but acceptable.  After my son and his friends played it for 4 hours I finally got my chance.  I am loving Zelda so far.  90% of it's use has been in the dock but I used it for about an hour in "mobile mode" while I babysat a new computer I built while downloading all of the updates, drivers etc. 

The weird thing is I have been unable to find a cheap Wii U. I thought oh cool they discontinued. That means the remaining new stock will be on clearance.   Nope seems people rushed out and bought up all remaining new stock in stores. Now they are trying to flip it. Then I thought well okay used systems will be clearlanced. Nope still going $256 used at game stop IF you can find one.

Geezzzz

What ever happened to getting things on clearance. 
$200 Refurbished direct from Nintendo with a warranty

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod150200

Like I said before this is how I received my system and it looked brand new, no issues with it at all

ToyMachine78

Saw latest news that Nintendo confirmed that all save data is local, and cannot be copied to SD storage. Run out of space... Ur fucked. Better hope there's some shit you don't mind deleting. Have a console issue that requires warranty work... Ur fucked. As there is no way to transfer data between units.

To be so "innovative" Nintendo really drops the ball on some pretty basic shit. But hey, at least you can milk a cow. What a sack of dicks.