@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

pcengine-fx.com presents - The Turbo Memoirs!

Started by PCEngineFX, 09/21/2006, 12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PCEngineFX

I wish to officially announce the opening of a new Turbo/PCE site - "The Turbo Memoirs"

IMG

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/TM/

Many years ago, pcengine-fx.com had a Turbo-related resource...and though people enjoyed it, it became outdated over the years and was taken down as it was deemed not on par with other sections pcengine-fx.com had to offer.  "The Turbo Memoirs", is a unique and beautiful journey back into the heart of what you remembered about the Turbo/PCE - the games and the hardware.
// Aaron Nanto | The Ultimate Resource for NEC Console Information!
Papa PCEFX 1997-2020 [Retired]
IMG

Chakan

Hey Aaron,
 I remember when you took down your Turbo site. Looking forward to seeing a new one put back up. :)

Keranu

I love reading people's Turbo memoirs, this should be great.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Odonadon

Good idea - if this will turn out to be the type of site I hope it will I think it's cool.  I too enjoy reading about other people's past experiences with the systems and games.

OD

PCEngineFX

I want to clarify that "memoirs" in this context will mean the "history of the PCE/Turbo", focusing on the game aspect of the consoles and not specifically accounts from people who have played the system.  In addition, the site will be more of a historical "living" museum of the games and of PCE/Turbo related things that you may never knew existed.
IMG

Keranu

Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

BonkThis

for the games portion will we be treated to screen shots, video? anything like that?

PCEngineFX

Yes, there will be screen shots, videos, etc.... but not like you usually see them ;)
IMG

cavein2000

ahh, a unique twist?  Eager to see the end product, let us know how it progresses!
What a horrible night to have a curse...

Dark Fact

Can't wait.  I also hope you provide us with some good ol' audio for listening.

Quote from: "PcEngineFX"I want to clarify that "memoirs" in this context will mean the "history of the PCE/Turbo", focusing on the game aspect of the consoles and not specifically accounts from people who have played the system. In addition, the site will be more of a historical "living" museum of the games and of PCE/Turbo related things that you may never knew existed.
Awww...too bad. :(  I was planning on writing about a certain experience at a certain Radio Shack with a certain game called Dungeon Explorer. :wink:
homepage2.nifty.com/tkdate/ysmusic/screen/graphic/Win_CP_THE_LAST.jpg
Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

TR0N

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 09/21/2006, 12:45 PMI wish to officially announce the development of a new Turbo/PCE site - "The Turbo Memoirs" - https://www.pcengine-fx.com/TM/

Many years ago, pcengine-fx.com had a Turbo-related resource...and though people enjoyed it, it became outdated over the years and was taken down as it was deemed not on par with other sections pcengine-fx.com had to offer.  "The Turbo Memoirs", set to open spring 2007, will be a unique and beautiful journey back into the heart of what you remembered about the Turbo/PCE - the games.
=D> =D>
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Dark Fact

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

Odonadon

Quote from: Dark Fact on 11/10/2006, 12:24 AMSpring 2007! So near......yet so far! :x
I wonder what the new site will have that the old didn't.  I didn't pose this in the form of a question as I don't expect Aaron to answer this :)

OD

Dark Fact

Maybe the new site will have easter eggs that lead to super secret Turbo memoirs that nobody has heard of but will be pleasantly surprised anyway. :wink:

PCEngineHell

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 10/02/2006, 04:37 PMYes, there will be screen shots, videos, etc.... but not like you usually see them ;)
But not like you usually see them......
Do you mean this time they will be clear,like fullscreen 640x480 or above clear,like not muddy PcenginefxTv eps of the past?:P BTW,if possibly,you could offer the past eps at a much higher res for archival that would be great. You could even seed them as torrents if your worried about bandwith. After I nabbed them Id seed them for  awhile myself. 

And you could redo the original narrators audio with your own,so that everytime the word "DUO" is said it doesn't sound like "Duel":P. That guy completely butchered the word Duo. I thought it was just me,but like 8 of my friends said the same thing when I showed them the videos. The reviews and bonus material on them were really well done otherwise,and Id love to have higher quality versions,even if in res only,for archival.

Dark Fact

Maybe the narrator meant "dual" instead of "duel".  After all, both dual and duo mean two, right?

PCEngineHell

Quote from: Dark Fact on 11/27/2006, 02:27 PMMaybe the narrator meant "dual" instead of "duel".  After all, both dual and duo mean two, right?
Maybe,that or hes just the mad butcher of the english language:P

PCEngineFX

You don't mean the standard narrator in the episodes?  The narrator IS me already :cry:
IMG

jlued686

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 11/27/2006, 08:37 AMAnd you could redo the original narrators audio with your own,so that everytime the word "DUO" is said it doesn't sound like "Duel":P. That guy completely butchered the word Duo. I thought it was just me,but like 8 of my friends said the same thing when I showed them the videos. The reviews and bonus material on them were really well done otherwise,and Id love to have higher quality versions,even if in res only,for archival.
Jesus, talk about nitpicking.  Like Aaron's going to go back and redo all the audio because you don't like how he pronunces the word "Duo". 

Odonadon

Quote from: guest on 12/09/2006, 03:06 PM
Quote from: PCEngineHell on 11/27/2006, 08:37 AMAnd you could redo the original narrators audio with your own,so that everytime the word "DUO" is said it doesn't sound like "Duel":P. That guy completely butchered the word Duo. I thought it was just me,but like 8 of my friends said the same thing when I showed them the videos. The reviews and bonus material on them were really well done otherwise,and Id love to have higher quality versions,even if in res only,for archival.
Jesus, talk about nitpicking.  Like Aaron's going to go back and redo all the audio because you don't like how he pronunces the word "Duo". 
Exactly.  Different accents in different parts of the country.  Not to mention different accents in different parts of the world.  Get used to it.  :)

OD

PCEngineFX

IMG

Odonadon

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 12/09/2006, 07:12 PMI have an accent??  8-[ (never heard that before)
Dude, every person on this earth who can speak will have an accent in whatever language they are speaking :)  I have an accent, Prince Charles has an accent, Elvis had an accent.

OD

PCEngineHell

Sorry,thing is it wasnt just me who felt this,friends of mine from as far as Georgia and California also. They can all say Duo correctly. We all thought he was saying "duel". Maybe it is a accent,but from where?

jlued686

My question is: who the hell cares and why do you keep bringing it up?  You've mentioned this in other threads, and for some reason it really seems to bother you.  I suggest just getting over it and appreciate the great work Aaron does for the NEC gaming community.

PCEngineHell

Now that you mettion it once here and once on another thread way long ago maybe..... What are you doing,looking all over my past post like a stalker or something? You seem to remember more about my post then me. Kinda creepy:P

jlued686

No, I just remember you being rude about the same thing once before.  And I remember thinking at the time, "Gee, who the eff cares?"

So no, I'm not a stalker.  I just pay attention, ie: reading comprehension.  So the fact that you bring it up again months later - and actually request that he goes back and edits the audio - struck me as amusing and absurd that such a minor detail can bother you so much.

PCEngineHell

Whats more odd then anything is you continue to interest yourself with what bugs or bothers me,and remember past post I make about things that bother me or I myself find wrong. And for someone who says"who gives a crap" you sure do seem to care alot about me giving a crap,otherwise youd keep your mouth shut and drop the subject.

Its called everyone has their own opinion. Hearing "TurboDuel" doesnt bother you,ok fine,no prob then. It however does bother some people,not many probably,and either way it goes,every one is entitled to their own opinion as to the quality of something,including video and AUDIO aspects. Maybe what bugs your more then anything is Im not a suckup. Im up front and honest,and I know that ends up being harsh at times,but the world is harsh.

I give credit where its due,and the videos themselves are great as are the reviews,and Id love to have a higher res version for archival. Yea,hearing Duel instead of DUO bugs the hell outta me,because its the systems name,and I have never heard anyone pronounce Duo as Duel,ever in my life. I know if I did awesome video reviews of NeoGeo stuff and pronounced it Neo Gia or Nea Gea Id get my ass stomped for it on forums by people who got bugged or bothered by it,reguardless of if I had a accent or a speech altering lisp from hell. This same kinda mis-pronounciation of words is why people make fun of GamePro Tv from the eairly 90ies.

Dark Fact

I don't get bothered by name misrepresentations if they're based off of ignorance.  However, if someone is trying to pronounce a name differently intentionally because they don't like how it is originally pronounced is not only foolish, but a flat out waste of energy.  I can let accentuations pass since people in their respective countries or regions can't help but pronounce it differently.  In the end, it may all boil down to a simple case of Tomato Tomahto.

But this is getting severely off topic.  Anyways, how is the progress on the Turbo Memoirs site coming along, Aaron? :)

PCEngineFX

There hasn't been much progress on the Turbo Memoirs as of yet - I'm still in the site concept stages at the moment, building the foundation for what I hope to present.  I'm waiting for some new "equipment" to come in which I should be posting about soon...
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 01/29/2007, 03:47 PMThere hasn't been much progress on the Turbo Memoirs as of yet - I'm still in the site concept stages at the moment, building the foundation for what I hope to present.  I'm waiting for some new "equipment" to come in which I should be posting about soon...
Hmmm.... You have me intrigued.   :-k  What sort of new (or old) equipment could you be waiting on?  That's a rhetorical question - I can wait for future news when appropriate, though I am curious about TZD's site update.  Does the master have any news on that front?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

PCEngineFX

I handed off the art assets to them at the end of December, so they must still be working on it.  I can't wait to see how people react to my design - I hope you all like it :)
IMG

NecroPhile

If it's anywhere near as nice as pcengine-fx.com, it'll be a lot better than the current design.  Jeez, I sound like such an ass kisser. :roll:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

nat

Soo... spring has sprung. Where are the Memoirs?  :wink:

PCEngineFX

It's coming, but not yet - I'm re-evaluating the plan for the site so it is still in the pre-planning stages....
IMG

Turbo D

Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

BonkThis

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 10/02/2006, 04:37 PMYes, there will be screen shots, videos, etc.... but not like you usually see them ;)
wow sounds cool cant wait.. =D>

BonkThis

once its done, we need to spam up some big sites like DIGG and get the word out  :!:

Dark Fact

That's right! We'll SPAM every game site out there to the point of crashing their forums just so we can get the word across! :twisted:

Besides, you guys, Aaron is still working on Episode 7 of PCEngineFxTV.  Give him time. :wink: