@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

NES classic

Started by dallaspattern, 11/12/2016, 12:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jperryss

Quote from: Medic_wheatI have put off buying a NES everdrive. Might as well pull the trigger I don't think there can be any more improvements.

As for the SNES everdrive is it finally 100% rom comparable or still room for imrpovmemt?
The SD2SNES is an upgrade from the Super Everdrive and plays just about everything except for some of the special chip games. Megaman x2 and x3 work, but no Starfox or Yoshi's Island.

https://sd2snes.de/blog/compatibility

Lots of fakes on eBay, btw.

xcrement5x

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 04/19/2017, 06:39 PM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 04/19/2017, 05:57 PMI like how people are shitting their tits like they missed out on something marvelous now that it's discontinued.

buy an NES and an everdrive.   JFC.
I have put off buying a NES everdrive. Might as well pull the trigger I don't think there can be any more improvements.

As for the SNES everdrive is it finally 100% rom comparable or still room for imrpovmemt?
SD2SNES is the best option, it's not 100% but the handful of games that aren't supported are pretty small.  Plus the SD2SNES lets you mess around with those game/hacks that are huge and basically have full video.

EDIT: SD2SNES is also freely available though so you needn't buy through Krikzz or SAG, the design and info are out there so that anyone can build one. 

esadajr

Quote from: jperryss on 04/19/2017, 08:56 PM
Quote from: Medic_wheatI have put off buying a NES everdrive. Might as well pull the trigger I don't think there can be any more improvements.

The SD2SNES is an upgrade from the Super Everdrive and plays just about everything except for some of the special chip games. Megaman x2 and x3 work, but no Starfox or Yoshi's Island.

https://sd2snes.de/blog/compatibility

Lots of fakes on eBay, btw.
Aww man, no PGA Tour 96.
Gaming since 1985

sirhcman

Quote from: esadajr on 04/20/2017, 01:29 PMAww man, no PGA Tour 96.
I know you are joking but its good to remember that the SD2SNES uses a FPGA to mimic these special chips. It's not out of the realm of possibility that compatibility for these chips will be added in future firmware updates

crazydean

Quote from: guest on 04/20/2017, 06:37 PM
I know you are joking but its good to remember that the SD2SNES uses a FPGA to mimic these special chips. It's not out of the realm of possibility that compatibility for these chips will be added in future firmware updates
While this is technically true, I believe it has been a few years since compatibility has changed for the SD2SNES, no?

xcrement5x

Quote from: crazydean on 04/20/2017, 06:41 PM
Quote from: guest on 04/20/2017, 06:37 PM
While this is technically true, I believe it has been a few years since compatibility has changed for the SD2SNES, no?
Yeah, the author even mentions that including support for all cheater chips is unlikely given the power of the FPGA in the device, they were reaching the upper limit for support already give what the other additional chips do.  Really, of the handful of US games that aren't supported most are still pretty cheap if you MUST play them.

jperryss

Quote from: guest on 04/20/2017, 01:23 PMSD2SNES is the best option, it's not 100% but the handful of games that aren't supported are pretty small.  Plus the SD2SNES lets you mess around with those game/hacks that are huge and basically have full video.
It's pretty wild playing Chrono Trigger on the SNES with the cutscenes from the PS1 version.

There are some cool MSU music hacks also.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: jperryss on 04/21/2017, 11:19 AMIt's pretty wild playing Chrono Trigger on the SNES with the cutscenes from the PS1 version.
I'd like to mix in about 3 seconds of Goku floating on a cloud into it and see if anyone notices.
--DragonmasterDan

seieienbu

Quote from: guest on 04/20/2017, 10:22 PMYeah, the author even mentions that including support for all cheater chips is unlikely given the power of the FPGA in the device, they were reaching the upper limit for support already give what the other additional chips do.  Really, of the handful of US games that aren't supported most are still pretty cheap if you MUST play them.
Really, the only exception to this is Starfox 2.  That's a game that I'd love to play on actual hardware but given how it wasn't ever released the options are limited to flash carts or reproductions.  If the FX chip isn't supported on flash carts?  Well, that limits the options even further to a repro or nothing.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Groover

if you want FX games I heard someone has made a FX cart that has all the FX games on one cart. https://www.retrocircuits.com/product/super-fx-all-in-one/

But you might be better off just buying all the FX games you want unless you want Starfox 2 then this might work out to about even
IMG

Digi.k

Picked this up while in Hong Kong

IMG

zetastrike

I got the Everdrive N8 for my Famicom back in December.  I'd say it's totally worth it.  The last time I did a count, only about ~38 games were incompatible and none of them were anything I was interested in playing.  There's a list on krikkz's forum.  I was thrilled to be able to play Akumajou Densetsu with the extended audio.  It's great to play hacks on real hardware, especially all the Mega Man stuff that comes out. 

It's too bad that the FC/NES is one of those systems that just rubs me the wrong way.  I don't know if it's because I didn't have one until I was 12 years old or that many of the genres were done much better in the following generation, but I have a really hard time getting into it.

TheClash603

Quote from: Digi.k on 05/07/2017, 08:20 PMPicked this up while in Hong Kong

IMG
I was playing this thing yesterday and it made me wish I had longer arms.

Gredler

Gotta have some Trump hands to enjoy those controllers I imagine

Digi.k

Quote from: TheClash603 on 05/14/2017, 12:59 PMI was playing this thing yesterday and it made me wish I had longer arms.
thinking about ordering a 2-3 metre long HDMI cable

Quote from: Gredler on 05/14/2017, 01:35 PMGotta have some Trump hands to enjoy those controllers I imagine
IMG

ToyMachine78

Damn, attach some monofilament line, and it could be a Christmas tree ornament.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 05/14/2017, 03:19 PMDamn, attach some monofilament line, and it could be a Christmas tree ornament.
Hahahahahhaha!

Also,
GODDAMN!

My "white" PCE pad is so damn yellow...
...and your pad is friggin' ULTRABRITE.

JESUS.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NE146

ok I'm giving in.. I want the Famicom one too. What're they going for on ebay.. time to see :p

Digi.k

if you want to mod your mini's to allow any wireless controller to work

ClodBusted

Just got one original NES Classic controller yesterday from the local Media Markt electronics store at € 12.99 (US$ 14.54) . They had dozens of them back in stock.

jtucci31

Quote from: guest on 05/31/2017, 08:41 AMJust got one original NES Classic controller yesterday from the local Media Markt electronics store at € 12.99 (US$ 14.54) . They had dozens of them back in stock.
Thought you said NES Classic units for $14 and got excited. I can't fucking read anymore

Winniez

Quote from: guest on 05/31/2017, 08:41 AMJust got one original NES Classic controller yesterday from the local Media Markt electronics store at € 12.99 (US$ 14.54) . They had dozens of them back in stock.
Nice, those are great for modded Wiis, or for regular Wiis for that matter.
Btw great avatar, I'm also into vintage RCs.

ClodBusted

Hey thanks. I plan on using the controller for some Wii virtual console games that don't need Turbo switches, since I find it awkward playing Adventure Island 2 and Dracula X with the button layout of the regular Wii Classic Controller. Plus, I can bring it to my friend who has a NES Classic Mini (lucky bastard preordered his one ages ago and got it at release day, haha).

And yes, I'm all in for old RCs, as long as they say Tamiya on the badge. Got back into the hobby some years ago with a Hornet, I'm glad it had been official re-released by Tamiya, so no worries about breakages and parts support, just fun running these old cars originally designed decades ago.
A Clod is still on my wish list.

What are your favorite R/Cs?

Medic_wheat

Well  Wall Mart just had the SNES Classic up for pre-order.

It lasted for nearly a half hour before either being sold out or the server just shutting down.

I was able to get a pre Oder in. Seems you could order two and have it sent to your house or pick up at a local store.

I opted for pick up at store. Only got one as it didn't seem like I'd need or want two.

turboswimbz

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 07/22/2017, 12:35 AMWell  Wall Mart just had the SNES Classic up for pre-order.

It lasted for nearly a half hour before either being sold out or the server just shutting down.

I was able to get a pre Oder in. Seems you could order two and have it sent to your house or pick up at a local store.

I opted for pick up at store. Only got one as it didn't seem like I'd need or want two.
I missed it, not that I need one . . . looks like it lasted 40 mins and they estimate they over sold . . . so that's great.  It's quite impressive to note the state retro gaming when a company can make 5 million "retro" units and sell out of them worldwide in a matter of minutes. TBH I'm surprised that they sell these for 80 and not 250.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Medic_wheat

I figured they would over sale.

I like many I presume am hoping not to be in the over sold catagory.

LostFlunky

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 07/22/2017, 12:35 AMWell  Wall Mart just had the SNES Classic up for pre-order.

Did Nintendo send out an email to notify people?  Nintendo.ca said they would (email), but they haven't had any pre-orders in Canada yet...

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 07/22/2017, 02:04 PM

Did Nintendo send out an email to notify people?  Nintendo.ca said they would (email), but they haven't had any pre-orders in Canada yet...
Not to my knowledge.

jperryss

NES Classic systems at ThinkGeek, bundled with stuff you probably don't want. (as of 3PM ET):
https://www.thinkgeek.com/nes-classic-bundles/?icpg=HP_Carousel_NESClassic_1

via Gizmodo:
http://gizmodo.com/thinkgeek-is-selling-a-fresh-stash-of-nes-classics-but-1796528902

Medic_wheat

You are not kidding I really don't want any of that.

And all the cheaper bundles are sold out.

Still cheaper then scalper prices.

sirhcman

All sold out. I still don't have one :(

Medic_wheat

I got the mega man bundle.

I wonder if I can return the helmet for a refund.

If not I'll sell it off.

Like I am sure many other people. Since think geek is owned by GS I wonder if I can go to a GS to return the bundled items I don't want.

sirhcman

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 07/25/2017, 03:58 PMI got the mega man bundle.

If not I'll sell it off.

Like I am sure many other people. Since think geek is owned by GS I wonder if I can go to a GS to return the bundled items I don't want.
If its anything like gamestop's return policies on bundles then no. Congrats on getting a NES Classic, I am jealous!

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 07/25/2017, 04:06 PM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 07/25/2017, 03:58 PMI got the mega man bundle.

If not I'll sell it off.

If its anything like gamestop's return policies on bundles then no. Congrats on getting a NES Classic, I am jealous!
I double checked after the fact. Yep they put a disclaimer saying you can return the entire bundle but not individual items as it would be "cheating" WTF?

Guess I am selling a $90 mega man helmet to try and off set the cost. Maybe I should go to GS and try and pawn it off with them since they own think geek I think.

xcrement5x

Lol, you paid a scalper for the NES Classic, it was just a retail business. 

esteban

Quote from: jperryss on 07/25/2017, 03:32 PMNES Classic systems at ThinkGeek, bundled with stuff you probably don't want. (as of 3PM ET):
https://www.thinkgeek.com/nes-classic-bundles/?icpg=HP_Carousel_NESClassic_1

via Gizmodo:
http://gizmodo.com/thinkgeek-is-selling-a-fresh-stash-of-nes-classics-but-1796528902
Wow, what a desperate attempt to get rid of garbage nobody wants.

Damn. :)

Realizes I may have just offended someone who is wearing a Mega Man helmet whilst browsing the forums...
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

bartre

I wouldn't have hated the mega man pin set, but yeah.......

I'm 99% positive I've seen the rest of that on a clearance rack.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 07/25/2017, 04:39 PMLol, you paid a scalper for the NES Classic, it was just a retail business. 
Yes yes I did.

Still.

Cheaper then eBay.

Hell I saw a half price book store selling a Lois NES classic for $200. No box nada

Gredler

Pre orders went up and sold out super fast, and so it begins

LostFlunky

Quote from: Gredler on 08/22/2017, 01:28 AMPre orders went up and sold out super fast, and so it begins
Are you fucking kidding me?

Nintendo.ca didn't send out an email or anything - they just updated their site to show that 'pre-orders are available now from these retailers'.  None of the three retailers they listed even have a product page for this item.  Real smooth...

xcrement5x

Quote from: Gredler on 08/22/2017, 01:28 AMPre orders went up and sold out super fast, and so it begins
Yeah, preorders opened in the middle of the night so that any person with a reasonable normal schedule would never get a chance at them.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 08/22/2017, 11:50 AM
Yeah, preorders opened in the middle of the night so that any person with a reasonable normal schedule would never get a chance at them.
I know. How dare I not stay up past midnight on a random night for pre-orders. Lol. I tell you the eclips must have done a number on the release for pre-orders lol.

TelcoSurveyor

I'm going to have to stalk brickseek again for the SNES, aren't I?
I'm the Wind, Baby!

jlued686

I'm at my cabin this week, so managed to nab a preorder at a rural GameStop. Online preordering was a fucking disaster. Walmart sold out, literally, in thirty seconds. Target was nearly as absurd. And GameStop crashed and never went back up.

Fucking Nintendo...

Gypsy

Quote from: guest on 08/22/2017, 11:50 AM
It's such complete bullshit, I just hope my amazon uk preorder is honored but I don't expect it to be.

TheClash603

I grabbed a SNES Classic bundle on Gamestop that came with two wireless controllers.  I didn't really want the controllers at all, but the bundle was cheaper than resale prices on the system alone, and maybe (probably not), they will actually be good controllers to use when I am more than 5 feet from the system.

Winniez

I found NES Classic controller for 10euros from a bargain bin. Great for Wii virtual console and for modded systems.

crazydean

Quote from: TheClash603 on 08/23/2017, 08:07 AMI grabbed a SNES Classic bundle on Gamestop that came with two wireless controllers.  I didn't really want the controllers at all, but the bundle was cheaper than resale prices on the system alone, and maybe (probably not), they will actually be good controllers to use when I am more than 5 feet from the system.
Just saw a video on YT today talking about Gamestop and ThinkGeek doing those damn bundles, essentially forcing you to buy some garbage at a high markup if you want the system. They did the same thing for the NES classic.

PS. ThinkGeek and Gamestop are one in the same!

TelcoSurveyor

Quote from: crazydean on 08/23/2017, 08:58 PM
Quote from: TheClash603 on 08/23/2017, 08:07 AMI grabbed a SNES Classic bundle on Gamestop that came with two wireless controllers.  I didn't really want the controllers at all, but the bundle was cheaper than resale prices on the system alone, and maybe (probably not), they will actually be good controllers to use when I am more than 5 feet from the system.
Just saw a video on YT today talking about Gamestop and ThinkGeek doing those damn bundles, essentially forcing you to buy some garbage at a high markup if you want the system. They did the same thing for the NES classic.

I saw that video too. Eff GameStop for forcing people to buy surplus garbage nobody wants.
PS. ThinkGeek and Gamestop are one in the same!
I'm the Wind, Baby!

LostFlunky

So, the Source (former Canadian Radio Shack) sends out an email Friday morning that SNES Mini pre-orders would be available at noon.  The site crashed and was useless from around 10 am till 7pm from the traffic.  Around 7 they took the preorder page down and haven't attempted to put it back up yet. 

Not a single preorder was completed.