Yet another new member of the site

Started by ColinM, 04/12/2018, 08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColinM

Hi all! I found this forum because I was searching for information about the different models of PC Engine, found out about mods and whatnot, all that good stuff. This site is an overwhelmingly awesome resource for a prospective Turbo Duo(I think?!) owner.

I've been collecting systems and games to play, not to sit on a shelf for a few years now. I also am in the process of building a consolized Neo Geo arcade board, have modded quite a few of my own, built raspberry pi Gameboys, portables of other types etc.

My current setup is a 36" Sony Trinitron SD CRT with all my systems running through an Extron System 10 Plus switch, via either component or S Video.

The only system I had growing up was SNES and Gameboy. I purchased a Virtual Boy for 39.99 at Babbages when they were dirt cheap too the year after they came out. Other than that, I got a used PS1 and Neo Geo Pocket Color in high school, gamecube in college and then got into PC Gaming.

I've hit it hard in the past few years, once I realized I could solder quite well, and repair electronics, I started getting broken or abused systems and fixing them for myself.

Started with a Sega Master System, then a Neo Geo AES, then a Sega Saturn, Genesis 2, NES, Atari 2600, and of course I have my original SNES, Virtual Boy, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Gameboy, Gamecube and PS1. The next logical system I always wanted was the Turbo Grafx 16, but for a multitude of reasons i'm hoping to snag a Turbo Duo. I don't need collectible, I want to be able to play the games! Part of the reason I got rid of my Neo Geo AES was this. Just too expensive to play, the MVS carts are considerably cheaper.

My current setup after I had just moved into my house and started unpacking to set things up, i'll be building a better stand for the TV and consoles as my next project. This was just so I could finally play again after everything being in storage while my wife and I were renting an apartment. I keep all my games/accessories in another couple bookcases nearby, so the layout needs some work.

EDIT: I'm in upstate NY in the United States. Forgot to mention that!

IMG

NecroPhile

Welcome aboard!  That switch thing looks beefy and badass, and the 2600 up front makes me smile.

I wouldn't advise getting a TurboDuo.  They're too damn expensive, as are many of the US games; save a wad of dough and get a nice PCE Duo or Duo R/RX.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

ColinM

Haha I meant a PCE Duo..I'm still figuring out what means what lol. I'm in contact with Keith Courage to get one from him.

Yeah the extron is a commercial grade switch. Uses BNC inputs. It's not officially for component, technically just RGB, S video and composite, but component works fine. It's night and day better than those pelican switches.

ClodBusted

roflmao

esteban

Welcome, comrade, to the most peaceful place in the cosmos.

:)

Upstate NY = Southern Canada
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

TheClash603

Quote from: esteban on 04/17/2018, 07:32 PMWelcome, comrade, to the most peaceful place in the cosmos.

:)

Upstate NY = Southern Canada
As a fellow upstate NY guy I resent what you are saying.  We are completely different and I am sure most agree, eh?

wildfruit

Welcomings! Nice telly.
I have an urge to come and tidy your cabling though.
I got my duo from KC. You won't regret it.

ColinM

Quote from: wildfruit on 04/18/2018, 06:24 PMWelcomings! Nice telly.
I have an urge to come and tidy your cabling though.
I got my duo from KC. You won't regret it.
Yup, got my Duo from him the other day...man this thing kicks butt!

Oh don't worry that is strictly a temporary setup. The cables are already neatened up quite a bit since that picture though. That was driving me nuts as well. I had to install some more outlets in my basement first so the pile of extension cord in the corner is gone too. This was an unfinished basement I just put flooring down and am in the process of making a "rec/game room". So the layout overall might even change. Hence using furniture I already had for the time being until I figure out exactly how I want things set up.

in99flames

Welcome sir! I really like that switcher........what is it and where can I get one?

Also. If you are looking for any MVS carts for your home arcade neo geo console... I have around 50 mvs carts i need to sell(many with Original artwork and instructions). Many duplicates but some good titles.
I am somebody's mommy!
----name that movie quote :)

ColinM

Quote from: in99flames on 04/22/2018, 01:22 PMWelcome sir! I really like that switcher........what is it and where can I get one?

Also. If you are looking for any MVS carts for your home arcade neo geo console... I have around 50 mvs carts i need to sell(many with Original artwork and instructions). Many duplicates but some good titles.
It's an Extron System 10 Plus. I snagged mine on ebay for under $50 shipped. Then you'll need RCA to BNC adapters and S video breakouts to BNC etc. Once it's all set up it's a very very nice switch though.

I'll be in touch about MVS carts!

in99flames

Awesome. Ive dealt with bnc a lot. Im gonna check it now. Thanks!

Let me know! Im still sorting the tons of artwork and marquees. Its a lot to go through :-P
I am somebody's mommy!

ColinM

Quote from: in99flames on 04/23/2018, 12:09 AMAwesome. Ive dealt with bnc a lot. Im gonna check it now. Thanks!

Let me know! Im still sorting the tons of artwork and marquees. Its a lot to go through :-P
If you do component in you'll need to make audio breakouts. The audio connects in through phoenix connectors. The swtich i got was missing a few, these are the correct ones you'll need:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/phoenix-contact/5452217/277-11439-ND/5187291

Then you'll have to wire RCA jacks to those.

I used these and wired them to the phoenix connector:

HTTX RCA Female Plug to AV Screw Terminal Audio/Video Connector Adapter (8-Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HAVU9IE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_.DC3AbV0B1X9T

But you could just buy an RCA audio cable cut it and use that.

in99flames

Gotcha. I wont be needing it for component. Ill keep this info handy though as I may in the future! Thanks!
I am somebody's mommy!

ColinM

Quote from: in99flames on 04/23/2018, 10:45 AMGotcha. I wont be needing it for component. Ill keep this info handy though as I may in the future! Thanks!
S video you'll need something like this then:

S-Video 'Y' Adapter (4-Pin S-VHS Male to Two BNC Male Connectors) : 45-455 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GIDT00/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_UiF3Ab2S0MJGE

And you can just run rca audio in through bnc adapters. Whatever video signal you send in, is the signal it sends out. It won't convert anything. I haven't tried composite on it yet. But component, s video, and rgb work great. Try and get one that has all the button covers, replacements of those are hard to come by.