RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

IFU RGB Modding - Jailbars and Video Interference

Started by Duxcub, 01/06/2019, 08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duxcub

I've tried RGB modding several IFUs over the years, but have never been able to produce what I consider acceptable video output. There are 2 issues I can't seem to eliminate, and I'm hoping someone will be able to provide some guidance. I've seen past posts about this, but never any solutions.

1) When I do VileTim's jailbar fix to the PC Engine, it looks great on its own, but when i put it into the IFU and use the IFU output, the jailbars return. This has been a consistent problem on all the PC Engines and IFUs on which I have attempted the mods.

2) There is always very noticeable image noise, usually diagonal lines moving across the screen. It can also look like swirling noise on solid colors. I have tried pulling ground and/or +5v from several places on the IFU board, and tried using a larger gauge of wire for power and RGB lines, but nothing seems to improve it even a little bit.

Thanks for any help you can all offer. Hopefully someone has success stories to share, I'd love to figure this out :)

Keith Courage

I've come to the same conclusion. RGB output from the IFU always has some slight form of video interference and never looks quite as good as if it were installed in the system itself. I think it has to do with various parts of the CD system causing the interference. I've tried running wires to many different locations within an IFU with the same results.

This is why I recommend having the RGB amp installed inside the pc engine system itself instead. I then make a custom scart cable with added RCA plugs so they can be hooked up the the Audio out of the IFU for CD audio.

Another advantage of doing it this way is if the IFU dock were to ever die, one could just get another without having to have the RGB mod installed again.

Duxcub

Thanks for the reply, Keith.

I saw an older post here about Voultar fabricating mod boards specifically for the IFU, so I thought maybe there had been a new method discovered, or something I didn't know about to begin with.

Your work-around with the SCART cable is a pretty good idea. Up to this point I've just recommended people get a Duo instead, but the briefcase units do have a certain nostalgic appeal. I know when I first saw one in a magazine as a kid, I thought it was the coolest thing  8)