What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WandererFromYs

I'm playing Neutopia I.  I'm in the underworld, i've never gotten farther than here i think it was because i wrote down the wrong password as a child. Now i have save's so its time to put this game to sleep.
IMG

turbokon

I started playing Dead Moon, it's better then I thought.  The action is fast, enemies cames at you pretty fast and the backgound moves by faster too.  I think I might pick up the original copy for it.  I'm trying out new games I never played before on the pc-engine flash card I just received.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

Sinistron

Last game I played was Pop 'n Magic- but tonight I hope to find time for Ys III, Son Son II, and Doraemon Arabian Nights...  :D
IMG
Quote from: Tatsujin- ATM it's just amateurish boytoy shizzle.
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

MurderDate

TAIL SPIN, SINISTRON, NIGHT CREATURES, ORDYNE, SUPER STAR SOLDIER, IMPOSSAMOLE, DRAGON'S CURSE, IT CAME FROM THE DESERT, LOOM, CYBER CORE, SILENT DEBUGGERS  :evil:
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse

Sinistron

Quote from: MurderDate on 02/29/2008, 03:32 PMTAIL SPIN, SINISTRON, NIGHT CREATURES, ORDYNE, SUPER STAR SOLDIER, IMPOSSAMOLE, DRAGON'S CURSE, IT CAME FROM THE DESERT, LOOM, CYBER CORE, SILENT DEBUGGERS  :evil:
warming up to Dragon's Curse Joel?  Thought it wasn't your cup...
IMG
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

NecroPhile

Quote from: MurderDate on 02/29/2008, 03:32 PMTAIL SPIN, SINISTRON, NIGHT CREATURES, ORDYNE, SUPER STAR SOLDIER, IMPOSSAMOLE, DRAGON'S CURSE, IT CAME FROM THE DESERT, LOOM, CYBER CORE, SILENT DEBUGGERS  :evil:
All at the same time?  Color me impressed.  :D

Nice to see you spreading the love around to the goodies and the crappies.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

kid_rondeau

I'm playing all the greats:
-Takin' it TO THE HOOP
-Deep Blue
-Pac-Land
-Tricky Kick

...and many many more!

rag-time4

I've been playing my newly acquired R-Type finalfor PS2, working my way up to the ship from image Fight! Does that count?

If not, the Turbo Games I go back and forth between are Image Fight 1 and 2, though I just got a Japanese Ys III today from Nectarsis...

MurderDate

Dragon's Curse is OK - still not my favorite.  Surprised at how much I enjoyed my first stabs at Tail Spin and Night Creatures.  Actually Bravoman isn't as bad as it looks on youtube.  I'm on the fence about that one.

OldRover

I had enough time to get a third of the way through the final level of Air Zonk on the way to work today. On the way home, I played through an entire game of Dark Legend (The Legendary Axe II...I hate calling it that dammit). Loving my TurboExpress. :D
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Keranu

So the old Turbo Express is growing on you now, eh nod? :)
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

OldRover

Yessir. :D It has a certain charm to it that just doesn't exist with my NDS.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

SignOfZeta

Burning Angels and nothing else until I clear it. I'm getting killed just before the stage 4 boss these days.
IMG

Beld VanGuard

Splash Lake and Shapeshifter, as there the 2 newest games to arrive.

Sinistron

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/01/2008, 09:40 AMBurning Angels and nothing else until I clear it. I'm getting killed just before the stage 4 boss these days.
You're putting a lot more time into that one than I ever cared to.  That game is tough as hell- even with two players.  Tried to like this game beyond the jiggly show cutscenes and couldn't do it.  Not only is it extremely tough from jumpstreet- but the speed feels a little too slippery, the enemies too tough, and the graphics too spotty (what's up with those clouds looking like boulders?).  Maybe I'll give it another shot- since you and others seem to dig it.
IMG

CrackTiger

I recently (finally) got Parodius and am blown away by it. I thought that it would be a modest game overall but its very impressive in every way and is yet another game that pulls off most of the visual tricks that are supposed to be impossible on Turbo/PCE.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Sinistron

Parodius rules definitely.

Currently making my way through Dragon Slayer Legend of Heroes and I love it.
Looking like a long game- I'm on Chapter 3.
IMG

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Sinistron on 03/01/2008, 12:34 PM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/01/2008, 09:40 AMBurning Angels and nothing else until I clear it. I'm getting killed just before the stage 4 boss these days.
You're putting a lot more time into that one than I ever cared to.  That game is tough as hell- even with two players.  Tried to like this game beyond the jiggly show cutscenes and couldn't do it.  Not only is it extremely tough from jumpstreet- but the speed feels a little too slippery, the enemies too tough, and the graphics too spotty (what's up with those clouds looking like boulders?).  Maybe I'll give it another shot- since you and others seem to dig it.
If there is a shooter out there that is easier in two player mode than solo I'd like to see it. Usually the other player just takes away from the power ups and continues that are needed to make actual progress.

I really don't find this game to be particularly hard. All shooters are hard, and the older the harder, usually. I'm certain that there are many shooters from the Famicom era that have been cleared by less than %0.01 of the people that own them.

I did beat Vanguard though...
IMG

Keranu

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/05/2008, 12:06 AMIf there is a shooter out there that is easier in two player mode than solo I'd like to see it. Usually the other player just takes away from the power ups and continues that are needed to make actual progress.
Forgotten Worlds on Genesis since you get infinite continues on two player mode. I also found Dragon Saber on PCE to be easier with two players.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Maiden Hell

My meager game collection is slowly starting to grow.  Since I don't have much time to jump right into RPGs I've been keeping myself busy with try to master Gradius when I have a few minutes to spare.
We spread like wild fire when the lights go down...

CHROMIUM DIOXIDE

BigT

Exile: Wicked Phenomenon

The going is slow because my real life schedule has been busy and my play time is also split with the PC and 360... Army of 2 just came out and now a new episode of Sam and Max is coming out so... hmmm  :D

nat

I'm currently playing Legend of Xanadu. I guess technically it's part of the Dragon Slayer series, part 8 or something. It's a J-RPG, but one of the best RPGs I've played on the system. But be forewarned-- it's challenging. But who doesn't like a challenge? Only little girls, that's who. Highly recommended to everyone/anyone into RPGs. But don't take my word for it-- here's a YouTube clip to convince you.

Kitsunexus

DEEP BLUE!!!!! If you hate this game you suck.
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

TR0N

Mostly a little of,Dungeon Explorer 2 and Cotton.

Man that DE2 cost me enough but i feel it was worth it.

Also i'm supose to getting the frist DE later on as well.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

NecroPhile

Cratermaze, Addams Family, Cotton, and a bit of Impossamole (cripes, what a turd).

Paisa49

CrackTiger

Quote from: nat on 03/11/2008, 12:28 AMI'm currently playing Legend of Xanadu. I guess technically it's part of the Dragon Slayer series, part 8 or something. It's a J-RPG, but one of the best RPGs I've played on the system. But be forewarned-- it's challenging. But who doesn't like a challenge? Only little girls, that's who. Highly recommended to everyone/anyone into RPGs. But don't take my word for it-- here's a YouTube clip to convince you.
Wow, that game has a lot of cool "impossible on PC Engine" layered background effects.

I played part way through the first chapter way back when until I got stuck in the middle of fetch quests and gave up. I really need to get around to trying it again. :)
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

nat

By first "chapter" do you mean the first game or first AREA in the first game?

Anyway, yeah, I really recommend it especially to someone like you who digs the J-RPGs. Once you get used to the fetch quests they're not that bad and it's fun solving them. There's a FAQ if you get stuck but so far I've only had to use it twice and I'm about halfway through the game. One of those times it was something stupid I probably would've figured out eventually but I had already spent like an hour on it and wasn't getting anywhere. The sidescrolling stages come at the end of every "Area" and are kind of like a pay-off for all your hard work on the fetch quest puzzles. There are 12 Areas in all, I'm on Area 6 currently. Great game, I hope this one gets translated one day so I can replay it and fully appreciate the parts of the story I'm missing out on.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 03/04/2008, 10:23 PMI recently (finally) got Parodius and am blown away by it. I thought that it would be a modest game overall but its very impressive in every way and is yet another game that pulls off most of the visual tricks that are supposed to be impossible on Turbo/PCE.
Hell yeah! And, supposedly, it was the first 8 meg HuCard. The key thing, though, is not the 8 meg, but the sheer amount of love that Konami packed into that game. It just kicks ass, especially the special characters  :).
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

nat

I found Parodius to be overrated when I finally got it. Salamander is much, much better.

Give me Air Zonk, Coryoon, Star Parodia, etc any day over Parodius. Parodius ain't bad, but it's far from the best shooter on the system.

Turbo D

Unless you're a big  gradius fan, parodies is just average.
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

runinruder

Currently delighting in Burai.

I agree with CrackTiger and Esteban that Parodius is amazing.  I agree with Nat that Salamander is even more enjoyable.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Maiden Hell

Quote from: nat on 03/11/2008, 09:04 PMI found Parodius to be overrated when I finally got it. Salamander is much, much better.

Give me Air Zonk, Coryoon, Star Parodia, etc any day over Parodius. Parodius ain't bad, but it's far from the best shooter on the system.
Oh yeah for sure.  It's alright for the time it came out, but I agree Salamander is where it's at and my recent acquisition of Gradius II is also extremely fun.
We spread like wild fire when the lights go down...

CHROMIUM DIOXIDE

Sparky

Splatterhouse... bad day at work yesterday so swinging a "Two by Four' made me feel better.  :twisted:
also have been playing a lot of Valis II and keep coming back for more, just wondering is Valis III just as good?

spenoza

I am playing a little emulated Neutopia II. Played N1 last year, and I remember beating a physical copy of Neutopia II way back in time. I guess it's mostly because my wife has been playing Zelda:LttP on the TV and I've been inspired.

TurboXray

Quote from: guest on 03/15/2008, 08:13 AMSplatterhouse... bad day at work yesterday so swinging a "Two by Four' made me feel better.  :twisted:
also have been playing a lot of Valis II and keep coming back for more, just wondering is Valis III just as good?
Oh man, Valis II was great. I'd recommend Valis III just because. Not as easy though and the sound track isn't as great as Valis II(no other Valis game is!).

Sinistron

Last night I busted up Tiger Road and started playing Ys IV english patch for the first time (beat Tiger Road to make room for Ys IV memory).  Y's IV is fantastic- so much more detail in the towns and landscapes and mines. Maybe a little too much story in the beginning and not enough action- but GREAT nonetheless.
Don't know why I never beat Tiger Road BITD (or maybe I did but didn't remember- game's not too memorable so this could be the case).  I used continues- but mostly from feeling my way- wasn't stuck on anything for long- and is it just me or do the boards seem to get easier as they go on?
IMG

runinruder

Quote from: guest on 03/15/2008, 08:13 AMalso have been playing a lot of Valis II and keep coming back for more, just wondering is Valis III just as good?
Valis III is the best game in the series and utterly annihilates II.  Like Mal said, its music isn't quite as awesome as II's, but then, very few games have music as awesome as II's. 

Quote from: Sinistron on 03/15/2008, 04:40 PMLast night I busted up Tiger Road ... is it just me or do the boards seem to get easier as they go on?
I know what you mean.  Whenever I sit down with Tiger Road, I struggle a bit at first, and then I start to cruise along.  I'm sure that part of it is simply getting acclimated to the poor collision detection again, but there are a couple places early on, where enemies either knock you into pits or situate themselves in inconvenient spots, that can really be nuisances to get by, while many of the later sections can be dashed right through. 
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Digi.k

Parodius is awesome!! Its not arcade perfect but I swear at least it pushes the pc engine more than any other HUcard game!

Salamander is awesome too.. although it took a few years before I actually began to appreciate it!  one of those very hard games that makes your blood boild and rewards ya the more you get further along..

Anyway been playing Rabio Lepus and Shanghai today ..  Rabio is just too frustrating but Shanghai just really calms ya down.

nat

Shanghai deserves more love. I love that game.

MurderDate

I enjoy Tiger Road.  It doesn't have a lot of bells & whistles but it's solid.  Great music / graphics too.

Playing Aeroblasters last night..  Jesus christ that game is hard.  I FINALLY figured out that I want to grab the missle and then those Ps and ignore the other power ups (a lot of those weapons suck!) but still - can't remember a time I reset a game so often to start over!

esteban

Quote from: MurderDate on 03/16/2008, 08:38 AMI enjoy Tiger Road.  It doesn't have a lot of bells & whistles but it's solid.  Great music / graphics too.

Playing Aeroblasters last night..  Jesus christ that game is hard.  I FINALLY figured out that I want to grab the missle and then those Ps and ignore the other power ups (a lot of those weapons suck!) but still - can't remember a time I reset a game so often to start over!
I love hate the later "speed maze" levels in AeroBlasters. Getting those "sleds" (powerup) is brilliant, but I've been able to pass the mazes without them (I only do this when I'm feeling particularly full-of-myself).

I love Aeroblasters, though. It provides a nice challenge. You feel like you accomplished something.

runinruder

Yeah, Aero Blasters is very good.  It can be challenging, but it's fair (yes, even the parts with the gravity effects).  The only part that I call BS on is the "wobbly screen" stretch in the last stage.  I lose at least three lives every single time.

nat

Aeroblasters is really, really tough for me. I've never passed stage 5 (or was it 6?).

CosMind

back on a blazing lasers kick.  happily.

esteban

Quote from: runinruder on 03/16/2008, 03:07 PMYeah, Aero Blasters is very good.  It can be challenging, but it's fair (yes, even the parts with the gravity effects).  The only part that I call BS on is the "wobbly screen" stretch in the last stage.  I lose at least three lives every single time.
hahahah. there are a bunch of parts in the game that I totally choke on. The gravity effects = slippery ice levels in platformers: "Oh, this isn't so bad, I can adjust to this, I can... crap! wtf!? I just died! Dammit!"

runinruder

Quote from: esteban on 03/16/2008, 10:28 PM
Quote from: runinruder on 03/16/2008, 03:07 PMYeah, Aero Blasters is very good.  It can be challenging, but it's fair (yes, even the parts with the gravity effects).  The only part that I call BS on is the "wobbly screen" stretch in the last stage.  I lose at least three lives every single time.
hahahah. there are a bunch of parts in the game that I totally choke on. The gravity effects = slippery ice levels in platformers: "Oh, this isn't so bad, I can adjust to this, I can... crap! wtf!? I just died! Dammit!"
The part that always used to get me was a mini-boss in Stage 5 who shoots lots of tight spread shots while the gravity effects are fucking around with your ship.  I eventually got the feel for it, but it seemed almost impossible at first.

NecroPhile

Played some Addams Family over the weekend, and it's nowhere near as bad as I remembered it to be.  Some of the graphics are a bit clunky, but I've seen worse, and the game play ain't at all bad.  Good stuff, though I haven't beaten it just yet.

nat

I'm working on Magical Chase right now. I'm up to the level 5 boss which toasted me this time. I know his pattern now though and he seems pretty easy, actually.

Turbo D

I was playing tour of hell last night, haha. I died and saw the budda lying in a sexy pose saying things in japanese!?!
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG