What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

420GOAT

Quote from: esteban on 03/28/2012, 08:23 AM
Quote from: gekioh on 03/26/2012, 10:56 PMI gave Cyber Core some love this morning/afternoon before work. Probably gonna play it some more when I get home.
I have a soft spot in my heart for CyberCore. I wish it had a bit more intensity/flair, but it is a decent game  :pcgs:. A poor man's Dragon Spirit.

Quote from: 420GOAT on 03/27/2012, 04:04 PMjust flipped pcengine version of ninja spirit. now i need the arcade version.
You probably are referring to the "Arcade Mode" available on the HuCARD...one-hit death. But, if you are referring to the actual arcade game, well, I've always wanted to compare them to see how good/bad the PCE port was.   :pcgs:
the arcade mode is right....but bloody wolf keeps kicking my ass. and i dont have save on my express. gives me something to do between working on my vw and family.
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the fucking car.

SuperPlay

Completed Bonanza Bros. over the weekend and have now moved onto Legendary Axe.

I also still need to complete Dungeon Explorer.  Got a little board at stage 12 as it does not cut the mustard in single plater mode for me.   That reminds me I also have Neutopia to finish amongst others ;-)

TEKTORO

Tough to choose just one game,but loving Chew Man Fu with two exceptions..Wish I had someone to play my custom levels with and Highly regretting getting rid of my cd add on due to saving and AV out.Dont hate me but thought I was done with it at the time due to money issues.

Also Somer Assualt which is really really fun and unique but hard and easy at the same time?
Man I can see me going nuts over this system all over again!!
Create,Share and Play.

esteban

Quote from: TEKTORO on 03/28/2012, 02:22 PMTough to choose just one game,but loving Chew Man Fu with two exceptions..Wish I had someone to play my custom levels with and Highly regretting getting rid of my cd add on due to saving and AV out.Dont hate me but thought I was done with it at the time due to money issues.

Also Somer Assualt which is really really fun and unique but hard and easy at the same time?
Man I can see me going nuts over this system all over again!!
Many of us have sold hardware/software at some point, only to regret it hears later.

I know I have.

Mesopotamia/Somer Assault is usually on my "under appreciated games" list. I love quirky, hybrid games.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

nat

Quote from: gekioh on 03/26/2012, 10:56 PMI gave Cyber Core some love this morning/afternoon before work. Probably gonna play it some more when I get home.
I have a soft spot in my heart for CyberCore. I wish it had a bit more intensity/flair, but it is a decent game  :pcgs:. A poor man's Dragon Spirit.
I must be a mighty poor man since in my house the CyberCore soundtrack crushes anything Spirit has to offer.

esteban

Quote from: nat on 03/28/2012, 08:19 PM
I have a soft spot in my heart for CyberCore. I wish it had a bit more intensity/flair, but it is a decent game  :pcgs:. A poor man's Dragon Spirit.
I must be a mighty poor man since in my house the CyberCore soundtrack crushes anything Spirit has to offer.
No, we actually share common ground when it comes to CyberCore's soundtrack: it seems we both enjoy it!!  :pcgs:

In a recent thread (disco PSG tunes?), I rated the different songs in CyberCore...title music, stage one and stage 8 are my faves.  :pcgs:

nat

Yeah, I agree with those choices.

The way the title screen music changes to the stage 1 tune as the guy turns into the insect creature is just undeniably awesome.

bartre

I've been going balls deep in Cadash, Valis I and Valkyrie no densetsu lately.
w00t for MGC!

gekioh

Yeah I love the music in Cybercore, great stuff  :D

gekioh

Man Cadash is a lot of fun. I love that the TG version had all 4 characters. I have only beat it with the Ninja, guess I know what Im gonna do tonight, try and beat with a different character. I will honestly admit though I do prefer the color palette a little better on the Genesis version.

gekioh

Quote from: SuperPlay on 03/28/2012, 01:28 PMCompleted Bonanza Bros. over the weekend and have now moved onto Legendary Axe.

I also still need to complete Dungeon Explorer.  Got a little board at stage 12 as it does not cut the mustard in single plater mode for me.   That reminds me I also have Neutopia to finish amongst others ;-)
Man I have yet to finish Dungeon Explorer or Neutopia myself.

esteban

Quote from: nat on 03/29/2012, 01:48 AMYeah, I agree with those choices.

The way the title screen music changes to the stage 1 tune as the guy turns into the insect creature is just undeniably awesome.
100% agreement  :pcgs:.

esteban

Quote from: gekioh on 03/29/2012, 01:59 AMMan Cadash is a lot of fun. I love that the TG version had all 4 characters. I have only beat it with the Ninja, guess I know what Im gonna do tonight, try and beat with a different character. I will honestly admit though I do prefer the color palette a little better on the Genesis version.
Ninja is the easiest to beat the game with (IIRC), due to the sweet attributes of Ninja.  :pcgs:

bartre

Quote from: esteban on 03/29/2012, 07:53 AM
Quote from: gekioh on 03/29/2012, 01:59 AMMan Cadash is a lot of fun. I love that the TG version had all 4 characters. I have only beat it with the Ninja, guess I know what Im gonna do tonight, try and beat with a different character. I will honestly admit though I do prefer the color palette a little better on the Genesis version.
Ninja is the easiest to beat the game with (IIRC), due to the sweet attributes of Ninja.  :pcgs:
IE range.

Lilgrafx

Quote from: bartre on 03/29/2012, 11:02 AM
Quote from: esteban on 03/29/2012, 07:53 AM
IE range.
I though the priest was pretty easy myself. The fact that you can heal and your weapon has good range makes the game a cake walk after some level grinding.

Lilgrafx

Been playing a lot of Monster Lair after I get home from Track. Today I made it to stage 7 without dying, I got a game over on the boss of stage 8, it was the furthest I'd ever been. This is probably my favorite CD game, I love the soundtrack.

nat

Wonderboy 3/Monster Lair is long, and brutal. I'd say it's a runner-up for the "Duomazov Measure of a Turbo Bad-Ass" game list.

I have only beaten it once, and I was significantly buzzed/drunk at the time. True story. Not so intoxicated that my reflexes were severely impaired (obviously), just enough that I was a little "looser" than normal and just enough that my memory of the event is a bit foggy.

I've been unable to duplicate the event in a sober state.

Lilgrafx

Quote from: nat on 03/29/2012, 08:40 PMWonderboy 3/Monster Lair is long, and brutal. I'd say it's a runner-up for the "Duomazov Measure of a Turbo Bad-Ass" game list.

I have only beaten it once, and I was significantly buzzed/drunk at the time. True story. Not so intoxicated that my reflexes were severely impaired (obviously), just enough that I was a little "looser" than normal and just enough that my memory of the event is a bit foggy.

Time to find cheap beer!

VestCunt

Quote from: nat on 03/29/2012, 08:40 PMI have only beaten it once, and I was significantly buzzed/drunk at the time. True story. Not so intoxicated that my reflexes were severely impaired (obviously), just enough that I was a little "looser" than normal and just enough that my memory of the event is a bit foggy.

The main video game advantage that I noticed in my drinking days was that I was too lazy to get up and put in a different cart.  I have a bad habit of giving up and switching games when I die, but the laziness that came from booze made me more persistent and helped me clear a few games.
Topic Adjourned.

esteban

If anyone wants Wonderboy  III: Monster Lair Soundtrack.  :pcgs:

Quote from: nat on 03/29/2012, 08:40 PMWonderboy 3/Monster Lair is long, and brutal. I'd say it's a runner-up for the "Duomazov Measure of a Turbo Bad-Ass" game list.

If you get lucky with the power-up weapon (fire or missiles), then it makes most bosses a joke. I simply collect every single power-up, though, with no intention of "planning" specific weapons for specific bosses. It keeps me on my toes, for sure, but it can backfire (I lose life/die).

MrFlutterPie

I've been rocking one of my first games I ever got on the TG-16: Vigilante.

*Picks up nun chucks
*Turns up turbo switch
*Murder everybody!!! :twisted:

esteban

Quote from: MrFlutterPie on 03/30/2012, 09:38 AMI've been rocking one of my first games I ever got on the TG-16: Vigilante.

*Picks up nun chucks
*Turns up turbo switch
*Murder everybody!!! :twisted:
IMG Cook wants you to skip step two. More fun to murder in this manner!

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: guest on 03/29/2012, 09:25 PM
Quote from: nat on 03/29/2012, 08:40 PMI have only beaten it once, and I was significantly buzzed/drunk at the time. True story. Not so intoxicated that my reflexes were severely impaired (obviously), just enough that I was a little "looser" than normal and just enough that my memory of the event is a bit foggy.

The main video game advantage that I noticed in my drinking days was that I was too lazy to get up and put in a different cart.  I have a bad habit of giving up and switching games when I die, but the laziness that came from booze made me more persistent and helped me clear a few games.
I should try this.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Lilgrafx

Quote from: esteban on 03/30/2012, 07:15 AMIf anyone wants Wonderboy  III: Monster Lair Soundtrack:pcgs:

If you get lucky with the power-up weapon (fire or missiles), then it makes most bosses a joke. I simply collect every single power-up, though, with no intention of "planning" specific weapons for specific bosses. It keeps me on my toes, for sure, but it can backfire (I lose life/die).
I do the same thing with the power ups. for the boss I usually try to hold on to a missile power up near the end of the stage, then I'll turn up the Turbo switchs sit right next to him and spam bomb him to death. Tanks for the soundtrack too.

esteban

Quote from: Lilgrafx on 03/30/2012, 05:21 PM
Quote from: esteban on 03/30/2012, 07:15 AMIf anyone wants Wonderboy  III: Monster Lair Soundtrack:pcgs:

I do the same thing with the power ups. for the boss I usually try to hold on to a missile power up near the end of the stage, then I'll turn up the Turbo switchs sit right next to him and spam bomb him to death. Tanks for the soundtrack too.
Hey, you should download the wallpaper to all the computers you have access to RIGHT NOW. That's what I want! Listen to the tune from the final stage when you're doing this and I guarantee you will reach a state of Wonderboy Bliss. :pcds:

munchiaz

played some last alert last night. God the cheese factor in this game. But thats one of the things that makes it fun to play. I'm almost done with it. got to the swear boss (dragon) and died. Ill pick it up again later

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Mishran

Exile: WP

Stupid game...  ](*,)

Stupid deterioration of gaming skills with age...  #-o

:P

roflmao

I've recently gotten a little farther in Neutopia and Ys Book 2. :)

Lilgrafx

Quote from: Mishran on 04/04/2012, 12:39 PMExile: WP

Stupid game...  ](*,)

Stupid deterioration of gaming skills with age...  #-o

:P
I played the the first Exile in the fall and really loved it. Never really got into Wick Phenomenon, don't really know why.

Mishran

Quote from: Lilgrafx on 04/04/2012, 09:16 PMI played the the first Exile in the fall and really loved it. Never really got into Wick Phenomenon, don't really know why.
First Exile was good. It isn't a difficult game, but it had enough challenge to make it fun while keeping you interested.

DesmondThe3rd

I been playing some Bonk 3 CD. It sucks that it's pretty much the same game as the card though.

nat

Same game, with superfluous sampled sound effects and a soundtrack mixed so loud you can't hear the normal sound effects.

Lilgrafx

Rise from the grave!

I played through Cadash with a friend today, I played the Ninja and he played the Priest. Pretty fun but I've played it too much. Still playing Mr. Heli made it to the 5th level boss

PunkCryborg

Dracula X, my first time playing through this game!

Lilgrafx

Mr. Heli completed! On One continue, not that most of you find that a challenge. This is the first PCE game I've beaten.

PunkCryborg

Quote from: Lilgrafx on 04/22/2012, 11:43 AMMr. Heli completed! On One continue, not that most of you find that a challenge. This is the first PCE game I've beaten.
Awesome dude! congratulations, mark your clear on pcedaisakusen and work on some more!

Lilgrafx

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 04/22/2012, 02:14 PM
Quote from: Lilgrafx on 04/22/2012, 11:43 AMMr. Heli completed! On One continue, not that most of you find that a challenge. This is the first PCE game I've beaten.
Awesome dude! congratulations, mark your clear on pcedaisakusen and work on some more!
Woah that's a very cool website. I just set up an account.

farankoshan

"MISSION INCOMPLETE: I cannot fuck up for this."
- Download, PC-Engine (1990)

jperryss

Blazing Lazers, trying to finally clear it once and for all.

Lilgrafx

Quote from: jperryss on 04/23/2012, 06:16 PMBlazing Lazers, trying to finally clear it once and for all.
A worth challenge, that I still haven't completed :(

PunkCryborg

Quote from: Lilgrafx on 04/23/2012, 09:12 PM
Quote from: jperryss on 04/23/2012, 06:16 PMBlazing Lazers, trying to finally clear it once and for all.
Don't shoot at the first boss at all and let him flee and you will find the game is a lot easier to clear after you do that little trick ;)

jperryss

Level 9 is destroying me every time. The part (near the end hopefully) with the constant stream of baddies going up and down the sides of the screen. Ugh! Every damn time!

esteban

Quote from: jperryss on 04/23/2012, 10:33 PMLevel 9 is destroying me every time. The part (near the end hopefully) with the constant stream of baddies going up and down the sides of the screen. Ugh! Every damn time!
Is this the last level? Even with a pea-shooter, set your speed to MAX, close your eyes, and just mash the direction pad and buttons.  :pcgs:

Currently playing:
Pyramid Plunder (an old build). This is fun, but it starts off way too slow...I wish I could jump to the more challenging levels. I love the "speedy" run. I recall folks setting the turbo switch in the middle to pick up items and "half-run"...while this technique may work, I think it is cheesy to play in such a manner. I'm not trying to start a fight, but there is a beauty to playing Pyramid Power with no autofire.

Valis III Goddamn, I forgot how much I enjoy this game. I bought it when it was originally released for TG-CD...and every few years I revisit it. Damn, I know many folks don't get too excited about the Valis series, but Valis III on PCE is a treat. I played the Genesis version back when it was released, but I never gave a thorough side-by-side comparison of the two games. ALSO: I want to revisit Syd of Valis (SD Valis) because I wasn't too impressed with it back in the day, but I might be more forgiving now.  :pcgs:

Mystic Formula I only spent a few minutes playing this, trying the different characters, watching the cinemas...but I'm hopeful that this game will be fun. The gameplay did not immediately "wow" me...but it already seems more competent than Final Zone II (and I was able to squeeze fun out of that sub-standard game), so <fingers crossed>

Nando

city41

My girlfriend and I have been playing Monster Lair on virtual console (the Turbo version). Great game, but gets a little repetitive.

I'm also playing a good deal of Blazing Lazers and Aero Blasters on real hardware. I love Aero Blasters!

Nando

Image Fight emu...still getting my ass kicked

Tatsujin emu...no comment, bullet awareness kicking my ass as well.

farankoshan

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 04/23/2012, 09:31 PM
Quote from: Lilgrafx on 04/23/2012, 09:12 PM
Don't shoot at the first boss at all and let him flee and you will find the game is a lot easier to clear after you do that little trick ;)
Really?! THIS WORKS! In all my years, I never knew... I'm going home now to try it out!!
"MISSION INCOMPLETE: I cannot fuck up for this."
- Download, PC-Engine (1990)

jperryss

Quote from: farankoshan on 04/25/2012, 05:10 AM
Quote from: PunkCryborg on 04/23/2012, 09:31 PMDon't shoot at the first boss at all and let him flee and you will find the game is a lot easier to clear after you do that little trick ;)
Really?! THIS WORKS! In all my years, I never knew... I'm going home now to try it out!!
I have tried this a few times. I can't manage to dodge his attacks long enough to get him to flee and I end up getting killed.

I've tried shooting off his two sides and then waiting in the upper corner. He does eventually leave, but I don't get the bonus. I'm guessing you have to leave him intact or not hit him at all. My problem ends up being the crap flying around everywhere, especially when he corners you and leaves you no space to move.

Anyway...Stage 9 is making me want to kick a puppy. I have gotten there about 6 times this week, usually still on my first credit, and that part right after the tank boss gets me nearly every time. The few times I've gotten through it, then the triangle boss again, I get wrecked on the next part.

Sigh...

roflmao

Quote from: jperryss on 04/25/2012, 09:14 PMI have tried this a few times. I can't manage to dodge his attacks long enough to get him to flee and I end up getting killed.

I've tried shooting off his two sides and then waiting in the upper corner. He does eventually leave, but I don't get the bonus. I'm guessing you have to leave him intact or not hit him at all. My problem ends up being the crap flying around everywhere, especially when he corners you and leaves you no space to move.

Anyway...Stage 9 is making me want to kick a puppy. I have gotten there about 6 times this week, usually still on my first credit, and that part right after the tank boss gets me nearly every time. The few times I've gotten through it, then the triangle boss again, I get wrecked on the next part.

Sigh...
I'm pretty sure I've seen a video on You Tube showing someone avoiding the first boss for the bonus.  You might be able to see his pattern there.  Also, I think the avoid-boss bonus applies to every odd-level in the game (1st, 3rd, 5th, etc) though I could be wrong.