What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seieienbu

Quote from: MrFlutterPie on 12/29/2012, 09:44 PMR-Type is super sweet but also super hard.
Agreed.  If I ever manage to beat it, I'll probably try to beat Pulstar next.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Bardoly

Since I just yesterday finally got an Arcade Card Duo for my Duo, I popped in Strider (which I had gotten 2 months ago) and play through a couple of levels.  The controls seem a bit stiff, but I feel that I'll probably try to play through it all the way sometime in 2013.

-D-

Played and beat Pac-Land yesterday.  Couldn't stand the default controls, wtf were they thinking with that?  But the "lever controls" are good enough I suppose; though it seemed like no matter how minor of a tap I did, Pac-Man would move too far to the sides.  The control flaws become way more apparent as you get into the later trips.  Overall a decently fun game though, glad I bought.

I played just a little bit of the post-game Pro levels, I might go back to it later using the cheat to get to the pro levels.  Didn't have the time or patience after beating the game yesterday.

PunkCryborg

playing rtype cd with the funky music, got stuck at the level 5 checkpoint....

turboswimbz

Super Raiden CD.  So far I get stuck at the end of level 3.  Man the boss is hard to hit.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

MrFlutterPie

Quote from: -D- on 12/30/2012, 06:54 AMPlayed and beat Pac-Land yesterday.  Couldn't stand the default controls, wtf were they thinking with that?  But the "lever controls" are good enough I suppose; though it seemed like no matter how minor of a tap I did, Pac-Man would move too far to the sides.  The control flaws become way more apparent as you get into the later trips.  Overall a decently fun game though, glad I bought.

I played just a little bit of the post-game Pro levels, I might go back to it later using the cheat to get to the pro levels.  Didn't have the time or patience after beating the game yesterday.
The default controls are funny because I believe the mimic the actual arcade machine.  I was told the arcade version used buttons to move left and right.  At least for the TG-16 they give you a more stranded control option.

turbokon

I'll been paying R-Type. Can't get past stage 4.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

roflmao

Quote from: CGQuarterly on 12/30/2012, 12:37 AMAaaand today I finished Mysterious Song.  Had no idea that it was so short.  I think I'll play it again and do a little more grinding and whatnot.  Do we not have a gameplay thread for MS here?

Chris
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=12960.0

I've been meaning to comment to that thread since I've been playing MS off and on lately as well (beat it awhile back).  There is another game mode unlocked once you beat it.  I think it's called "Infinite Dungeon" or something. I haven't dug into that yet, but I hear it takes forever to complete (though some here have).

MrFlutterPie

Quote from: turbokon on 12/30/2012, 02:31 PMI'll been paying R-Type. Can't get past stage 4.
I can't get past the giant mothership that you need to destroy piece by piece.  I think that's around level 3 or 4.

OldMan

It's not that the unlocked game is really longer - there are a few things added, but it's basically the same until you get to the end. You will, however, spend almost as much time in the last maze as you did in the entire basic game :)

SMF

Quote from: MrFlutterPie on 12/30/2012, 03:23 PM
Quote from: turbokon on 12/30/2012, 02:31 PMI'll been paying R-Type. Can't get past stage 4.
I can't get past the giant mothership that you need to destroy piece by piece.  I think that's around level 3 or 4.
Yea that mothership is a bitch with all the flicker. You definitely have to be equipped with the portable gun thing you can toss and attach to the front or back of your ship. Once you get on top position your ship on the eye as the giant snack dances above you. Easy to beat you just have to get to the eye. Goodluck.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

seieienbu

I beat the mothership exactly once as a kid.  I've gotten to stage 5 several times now.  I keep being killed at the part where there are a bunch of laser-ships and 4 worm-y things.

-D-

Quote from: MrFlutterPie on 12/30/2012, 02:15 PM
Quote from: -D- on 12/30/2012, 06:54 AMPlayed and beat Pac-Land yesterday.  Couldn't stand the default controls, wtf were they thinking with that?  But the "lever controls" are good enough I suppose; though it seemed like no matter how minor of a tap I did, Pac-Man would move too far to the sides.  The control flaws become way more apparent as you get into the later trips.  Overall a decently fun game though, glad I bought.

The default controls are funny because I believe the mimic the actual arcade machine.  I was told the arcade version used buttons to move left and right.  At least for the TG-16 they give you a more stranded control option.
That, and they actually put an ending into the TG-16 version.  The arcade version loops back to Trip 5 after Trip 8; no Pro levels.  So we got an optional better control scheme, a real ending, and a "second quest"; not bad.  I love it when they do a great job with console ports of arcade games.

seieienbu

And I'm at the boss of stage 6.  This game's haaaard, but at least when you die there are enough powerups to get strong enough to offer some resistance if you live for just a bit.

esteban

Quote from: seieienbu on 12/30/2012, 11:07 PMAnd I'm at the boss of stage 6.  This game's haaaard, but at least when you die there are enough powerups to get strong enough to offer some resistance if you live for just a bit.
You're talking R-Type, correct? Yes, you just gotta survive long enough for a few power-ups to get an edge (Gradius series is just like this). Simply getting a Speed-Up feels wonderful (in both games). Ha!

Quote from: turboswimbz on 12/30/2012, 10:01 AMSuper Raiden CD.  So far I get stuck at the end of level 3.  Man the boss is hard to hit.
Until you figure out a strategy, you can always go crazy with well-timed bombs. But, once you realize the hit-box on your ship is smaller than you'd think, well, you gain a bit of hope. :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

esteban

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 12/30/2012, 08:20 AMplaying rtype cd with the funky music, got stuck at the level 5 checkpoint....
I have long-defended this soundtrack, but even I admit that it would have been nice to have "optional soundtrack(s)"... that could be switched on-the-fly, such as the original (or alternate version) R-Type PSG tunes. Vasteel, for example, allowed Red Book and PSG tunes...

But I love the dance 80's R-Type (it is almost universally derided).  WHATEVAH.

pc_kwajalein

I'm currently playing Bonk's Revenge for the eight-hundredth time. No matter how many times I complete the game, I never tire of it.
My past-life would've surely led to our demise, and I had left it not a moment too soon. Our escape, though dangerous, had gone well. The train ride, sunlight, and passing snow-covered pine trees came together in a flickering show of our bright, new future together. Her head rested on my shoulder as she soundly slept to the gentle rocking of the passenger car. We felt freedom. We felt peace.

MrFlutterPie

I am currently playing Cybercore and Super Star Soldier currently.  Love me some shump action!

Too bad I suck at shumps but that doesn't keep me from enjoying the genre :)

rrob78

I like Cybore Core, can't make it to the first end boss, lol. But still doesn't stop me from playing it. I got to get Super Star Solider!!!

jelloslug

Dungeon Explorer; I have always loved that game.  It's great as a single player game and even better with a group. I'll probably play through Neutopia I and II next.

seieienbu

Quote from: esteban on 01/01/2013, 02:31 PMYou're talking R-Type, correct? Yes, you just gotta survive long enough for a few power-ups to get an edge (Gradius series is just like this). Simply getting a Speed-Up feels wonderful (in both games). Ha!
In one of the Gradius games (I think 3) I was able to win if I did it in one life, but if I ever died mid stage it was game-over.  The extra lives before the continue were irrelevant.  At the continue, if I could get enough powerups in the first half of the stage I'd be fine.  Some levels I never could, though, and would just lose anyway.  Perhaps if I played the game as an adult and not a 10 year old things might be different, who knows.

turbokon

Quote from: esteban on 01/01/2013, 02:35 PM
Quote from: PunkCryborg on 12/30/2012, 08:20 AMplaying rtype cd with the funky music, got stuck at the level 5 checkpoint....
I have long-defended this soundtrack, but even I admit that it would have been nice to have "optional soundtrack(s)"... that could be switched on-the-fly, such as the original (or alternate version) R-Type PSG tunes. Vasteel, for example, allowed Red Book and PSG tunes...

Never played the r-type cd, now you got me interested.

I was stuck on stage 3 (the ship stage) for a while but eventually made past it. I can beat lords any day I play it but can't beat games like R-Type and Aeroblasters.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

MrFlutterPie

I am making progress on Areoblasters.  I might be able to finish that one some day.

esteban

Quote from: turbokon on 01/01/2013, 08:33 PM
Quote from: esteban on 01/01/2013, 02:35 PM

Never played the r-type cd, now you got me interested.

I was stuck on stage 3 (the ship stage) for a while but eventually made past it. I can beat lords any day I play it but can't beat games like R-Type and Aeroblasters.
Aeroblasters is a better game than R-Type (OH SNAP!) and you'll find it much more satisfying to practice and hone your skills. I love R-Type but it ain't no Aeroblasters (OH SNAP!)

[/blasphemy]

Quote from: seieienbu on 01/01/2013, 06:45 PM
Quote from: esteban on 01/01/2013, 02:31 PMYou're talking R-Type, correct? Yes, you just gotta survive long enough for a few power-ups to get an edge (Gradius series is just like this). Simply getting a Speed-Up feels wonderful (in both games). Ha!
In one of the Gradius games (I think 3) I was able to win if I did it in one life, but if I ever died mid stage it was game-over.  The extra lives before the continue were irrelevant.  At the continue, if I could get enough powerups in the first half of the stage I'd be fine.  Some levels I never could, though, and would just lose anyway.  Perhaps if I played the game as an adult and not a 10 year old things might be different, who knows.
I hear you. I'll say this: it is possible to recover from death in Gradius series...but you have to practice your "recovery" and "survival" skills. I love this about Gradius--you actually do have a chance at each checkpoint, even though it seems impossible.

seieienbu

Oh, I'm not saying Gradius recoveries were ever impossible; It's a fair game and doesn't force you to lose ever.  I'm just saying that I couldn't recover sometimes.  At least, I couldn't when I played the game last ~20 years ago. 

I made it to level 7 of Rtype a couple of times last night.  Still on track to beating this game and killing a demon of my youth.  Good times.

JoshTurboTrollX

Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Nec.Game.head

I have been playing Y's Book 1&2 with a buddy for the past 2 weeks .. We had to download a map of all the mines and a tutorial on what items to get in order to beat the hell outta this game .. I'm having a great time playing my very first RPG with the help of a friend .. After we beat this one I'm gonna search for Y's Book 3 .. This game rocks !!
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

bob

Quote from: Nec.Game.head on 01/02/2013, 01:17 PMI have been playing Ys Book 1&2 with a buddy for the past 2 weeks .. We had to download a map of all the mines and a tutorial on what items to get in order to beat the hell outta this game .. I'm having a great time playing my very first RPG with the help of a friend .. After we beat this one I'm gonna search for Ys Book 3 .. This game rocks !!
As I'm sure you are aware, Ys III is WAAAAY different.  Think of Legend of Zelda going to Adventure of Link.

Nec.Game.head

@ galam .. I actually was not aware that Y's Book 3 is totally different from Y's Book 1&2 .. Gonna look up some info and video play of it before I search for a copy to buy ... Thanks for the info ...
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

NecroPhile

Ys IV is the same style of game play as Ys I & II and it even has an English translation.  DO IT!
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Nec.Game.head

@ Necromancer .. Nice gonna start looking for a patched version of Y's IV .. Thanks dude !!

SuperPlay

Just having a blast on Shadow Of The Beast.

seieienbu

Yaaaay, Ys!  At some point I'm going to want to play Ys 4 with the english dubbing, never did get around to that.

Bardoly

Quote from: galam on 01/02/2013, 01:33 PM
Quote from: Nec.Game.head on 01/02/2013, 01:17 PMI have been playing Ys Book 1&2 with a buddy for the past 2 weeks .. We had to download a map of all the mines and a tutorial on what items to get in order to beat the hell outta this game .. I'm having a great time playing my very first RPG with the help of a friend .. After we beat this one I'm gonna search for Ys Book 3 .. This game rocks !!
As I'm sure you are aware, Ys III is WAAAAY different.  Think of Legend of Zelda going to Adventure of Link.
This is true, but I just played through Ys III recently, and I really enjoyed it.  Then again, I really enjoyed both The Legend of Zelda AND The Adventure of Link.

Anyway, I hope that you go ahead and get and play Ys III.

bob

Quote from: Bardoly on 01/02/2013, 03:26 PM
Quote from: galam on 01/02/2013, 01:33 PM
This is true, but I just played through Ys III recently, and I really enjoyed it.  Then again, I really enjoyed both The Legend of Zelda AND The Adventure of Link.

Anyway, I hope that you go ahead and get and play Ys III.
Agreed.
I just finished Ys III again a few weeks ago myself.  I do enjoy it, just throwing out the comparison so he knows what to expect.

tggodfrey

Neutopia 2 completed pre 2013

Tiger Road now.
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

MrFlutterPie

seieienbu

While I'm thinking about it, I seem to recall Ys 4 happening after the events of Ys 1 and 2, but before Ys 3.

DildoKKKobold

Holy $@!#%ing $@$!# on a pogo stick, Military Madness is addictive once you get into it.
For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

VestCunt

Topic Adjourned.

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: VestCunt on 01/02/2013, 07:36 PMIMG
I'm not sure this was your intention, but I loved this. Got a great laugh out of it, thanks.
For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

VestCunt

yeah. can't be too serious all the time.
Topic Adjourned.

rrob78

psychobear

Prince of Persia at the moment, took me a while to get the controls down but I got it.

MotherGunner

Quote from: psychobear on 01/03/2013, 11:23 PMPrince of Persia at the moment, took me a while to get the controls down but I got it.
They so could have done Flashback on the Super CD.  The game was crappy but I loved it.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

roflmao

Quote from: MotherGunner on 01/04/2013, 04:29 PMThey so could have done Flashback on the Super CD.  The game was crappy but I loved it.
I actually really liked playing through Flashback.  I've recently tried playing through it again and it's a lot more challenging than I remember. :)

turboswimbz

idk what to play I got in about 20 new games  . . . Ummmmmmmmmm going to go with Bonk 3 first -> I have to.  I
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

MrFlutterPie

I have been playing the Addams Family CD.  The game isn't as bad as some say but to me it's just average but certainly not crappy.

esteban

Quote from: MrFlutterPie on 01/04/2013, 10:21 PMI have been playing the Addams Family CD.  The game isn't as bad as some say but to me it's just average but certainly not crappy. 
I finally bought Addams Family 6+ years ago...but I still haven't played it. It's like I'm afraid to be disappointed, or something. I've been curious about it since it was released (but it never looked good to me, ever).

Maybe, in 2013, I'll give it a chance.

MrFlutterPie

Quote from: esteban on 01/05/2013, 12:46 AM
Quote from: MrFlutterPie on 01/04/2013, 10:21 PMI have been playing the Addams Family CD.  The game isn't as bad as some say but to me it's just average but certainly not crappy. 
I finally bought Addams Family 6+ years ago...but I still haven't played it. It's like I'm afraid to be disappointed, or something. I've been curious about it since it was released (but it never looked good to me, ever).

Quote from: esteban on 01/05/2013, 12:46 AM

Give it a chance it's alright.

Do it for Cook!