What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

esteban

Quote from: MrFlutterPie on 01/05/2013, 11:00 AMGive it a chance it's alright.

Do it for Cook!
This is the only reason I have always been curious about Addams Family:

BEHIND THE SCENES: Donn Nauert recently went behind the scenes with the developers to give you a peek at how this involved game was created.

The first time I saw what video game development (professional, anyway) was like.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

turboswimbz

Hmmmmmmm Addams Family is in the pile to play . . . perhaps I should move it up the pile. . .
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

esteban

Quote from: turboswimbz on 01/05/2013, 01:19 PMHmmmmmmm Addams Family is in the pile to play . . . perhaps I should move it up the pile. . .
PILE.

PILE.

What, did you acquire a wheelbarrow-full of TG-16 stuff or something?

psychobear

Fudge yeah got lords of thunder today in the mail, music is great been playing it since the post man left it this morning!!

DragonmasterDan

Ehh, Addams Family is bad, but at least it's fairly short. It can be finished in a few hours if you know where to go and have patience.
--DragonmasterDan

roflmao

bob

I WILL be playing some space harrier later...thanks BERNIE!

turboswimbz

Quote from: esteban on 01/05/2013, 01:26 PM
Quote from: turboswimbz on 01/05/2013, 01:19 PMHmmmmmmm Addams Family is in the pile to play . . . perhaps I should move it up the pile. . .
PILE.

PILE.

What, did you acquire a wheelbarrow-full of TG-16 stuff or something?
ESTEBAN CHECK OUT MY SCORE IN THE WHAT DID YOU BUY TODAY THREAD :)  I did get a wheelbarrow full :)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

djolof

Just about to go up against Dirth in Neutopia II... but i'll have to pour another Dogfish Head 60 min IPA first ;)

roflmao

Quote from: djolof on 01/05/2013, 08:53 PMJust about to go up against Dirth in Neutopia II... but i'll have to pour another Dogfish Head 60 min IPA first ;)
I had one of those last night.  Delicious. :)

turboswimbz

TODAY on the list:   last 2 games left I haven't tried out

-Valis 3

-Dragon Slayer

then to pick one of the many new games to play through.

DragonmasterDan

I played a bunch of Japanese games yesterday, Wonder Momo, Salamander, Psycho Chaser, 3x3 eyes and even some Carmen Sandiego.
--DragonmasterDan

NecroPhile

Got Steam Heart's, Turrican, and Raiden from good guy Bernie.  Only the first is really getting some play time. 8)
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

turboswimbz

Quote from: guest on 01/08/2013, 11:06 AMGot Steam Heart's, Turrican, and Raiden from good guy Bernie.  Only the first is really getting some play time. 8)
sounds like a post for the turboob thread!

esteban

Quote from: turboswimbz on 01/08/2013, 05:39 PM
Quote from: guest on 01/08/2013, 11:06 AMGot Steam Heart's, Turrican, and Raiden from good guy Bernie.  Only the first is really getting some play time. 8)
sounds like a post for the turboob thread!
INDUBITABLY.  :pcgs:

DildoKKKobold

Been practicing Darkwing Duck for speedrunning. Found a couple shortcuts/glitches.
For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

PunkCryborg

I started playing some Tricky Kick, it's pretty rad as I'm a puzzler fan.

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: Nulltard on 01/10/2013, 11:47 AM
Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 01/10/2013, 12:40 AMBeen practicing Darkwing Duck for speedrunning. Found a couple shortcuts/glitches.
This a TAS or el natural?  I've never played Darkwing Duck, but it doesn't look to terribly unpleasant in your video... seems much more enjoyable than Bucci's curse and death laden review vid. (:
This is au naturel. You can see in the F.O.W.L. Headquarters, I hit a platform perfectly... and fall through. The game is notoriously bad at collision detection, especially for a game with bad jumping mechanics. Like Bucci notes, you have to learn the quirks of the bad controls to get anywhere. I've now played the game 30 times through. The jump in Molarity's part of F.O.W.L. headquarters, that allows me to skip a big portion of that level, is actually incredibly difficult.
For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

NecroPhile

You're playing on 'easy'?  Let's see it on 'normal'.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

MrFlutterPie

That was an impressive speedrun I must admit.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 01/10/2013, 12:40 AMBeen practicing Darkwing Duck for speedrunning. Found a couple shortcuts/glitches.
I am afraid to watch this, as I will cry at how I've barely scratched the game.

seieienbu

Just finished R-type.  I think I've owned this for 20 years; until today it was the oldest game that I'd never beaten.  It is also quite possibly the hardest game I've ever beaten.  Are you supposed to be able to kill the last boss?  He just kinda died about thirty seconds after the spiny-y things decided to stop moving in their patterns and just chase after me.

Yeah, hard mode?  No thanks Irem!

I was thinking that I'd finally finish Super R Type, R Types, or Pulstar after I beat this but god damn, I want a break from shooters. 

Dunno what to play next...
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

esteban

Bardoly

Played some Lost Sunheart, Rabio Lepus, Super Raiden, and some Monster Lair last night.  All were new to me, and while I didn't beat any of them, I enjoyed each one, and I plan to play them again soon.

seieienbu

turboswimbz

Quote from: seieienbu on 01/14/2013, 02:31 AM
Quote from: esteban on 01/14/2013, 01:19 AM
Quote from: seieienbu on 01/13/2013, 03:30 PMDunno what to play next...
Tricky Kick.
I've never played the game, is it any good?
If you are a puzzler fan it is pretty good! although I warn it lives up to the tricky part of it's name. IMO one of the more underrated PCE games.

PukeSter

I just got Ys Book I and II. Very cool game. The experience is similar to Zelda: Ocarina of Time, in terms of pacing and presentation.

turboswimbz

Quote from: guest on 01/14/2013, 11:55 AMI just got Ys Book I and II. Very cool game. The experience is similar to Zelda: Ocarina of Time, in terms of pacing and presentation.
yeah except Zelda is no where as good as Ys.  And I hated OoT quite a bit.  AND the music is 98364743265 times better in Ys.

seieienbu

Quote from: turboswimbz on 01/14/2013, 09:04 AMIf you are a puzzler fan it is pretty good! although I warn it lives up to the tricky part of it's name. IMO one of the more underrated PCE games.
Okay, I'm sold.  I'll take a look and see if I can find it.

Quote from: guest on 01/14/2013, 11:55 AMI just got Ys Book I and II. Very cool game. The experience is similar to Zelda: Ocarina of Time, in terms of pacing and presentation.
Possibly off topic but I've never understood why Zelda 64 gets as much love as it does...

roflmao

Lately I've been playing a fair amount of Devil's Crush, Soldier Blade, Sapphire and most recently, Star Parodier.  I made it to the last boss on the last level on one credit this afternoon and after dying a bunch of times against the brain's spaceship, the game suddenly started me over at the beginning of the level.  I still had 5 lives remaining, but I'm guessing beacuse I died so many times against the boss, I sucked and needed a do-over.  I turned it off.

turboswimbz

played and beat Cratermaze on normal difficulty.  Fun little "bomberman style" board collecting game.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 01/15/2013, 11:58 PMI'm playing some Neutopia to pass the time until my turbo tap arrives.  Actually, my 11 year old stepson and I are trading off on it.  But we're switching over to Dungeon Explorer for some 2-player action once the turbo tap gets here.  He finally asked to play since I AV modded my dead RF TG16 and said "man, I thought all this TurboGrafx and Chris Bucci stuff was kinda (makes unimpressed emotes and gestures), but now I see what you mean! It is awesome!".

Thanks, Jazeta.  Score one for the turbobs.  He's super excited to play some other games I've ordered. Alien Crush, Blazing Lasers, and World Class Baseball will soon make their mark on a new generation.  I can't wait until my toddler twins can join in.  If we can twist mom's arm, i won't need friends to pull off 5-man DE and Bomberman parties.  (:
I need to convince my daughter that Dungeon Explorer is as fun as Pop Cutie! Street Fashion Simulation - Nintendo DS. Really.

Mishran

Finally got around to getting my Duo-R out and replaying MSR. Perhaps I'll finish it before the next turbob game release becomes available. :P

Nec.Game.head

Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

Bardoly

Got some games in the mail recently from choijimmy in Hong Kong, so I tried out a few of them last night -

Hany in the Sky
!!Youkai Douchuki (Shadow Land)!!
Barunba
Battle Lode Runner

I can't give any of them an A+ rating, but I will give each of them another chance, and I can't give any of them an F- rating either.  They all seemed to be just average games, if a bit difficult.

By the way, choijimmy can get decent deals on PC Engine games, so if there's anything that you're looking for, check with him.

Corredor X

R-Type II. I can beat the first one without dying, but the second part - the 6th stage, in particular - is still giving me troubles. The PCE version is a little more difficult than the Master System port I grew with, still need to get better in it.

CPTRAVE

So I just passed Legendary Axe 2  :P, but what happened at the end. Did he turn into a bad guy? and who is that other guy with the sword?  :-k Or was he the bad guy all along?

Bardoly

Played some 2-player Splash Lake with my 6-year-old last night, and he and I really enjoyed it.

Nando

Played Wataru (Keith Courage,) BomberMan 93 and SF2( I so need a six bttn controller)with my 2yr old, while sick sister and mom were sleeping off the flu. Good times for us, they, well they are still getting better.

roflmao

Played around with my Flash HuCard today - played some Coryoon, OutRun and some Raiden.  Good times.

seieienbu

Quote from: Corredor X on 01/17/2013, 06:31 PMR-Type II. I can beat the first one without dying, but the second part - the 6th stage, in particular - is still giving me troubles. The PCE version is a little more difficult than the Master System port I grew with, still need to get better in it.
I played nothing but R Type for over a week, finally beat it.  The whole thing is doable, just took me a long while until I was good enough.  Good luck!

futureman2000

Quote from: seieienbu on 01/18/2013, 07:52 PMI played nothing but R Type for over a week, finally beat it.  The whole thing is doable, just took me a long while until I was good enough.  Good luck!
Nice job! I don't think I'll ever win R-type (ms or turbo), but I'm comfortable with that.

MrFlutterPie

I am playing Deep Blue.  It isn't as bad as people say it is.  I just wish I could keep my speed upgrades after I get hit though.

rrob78

Been playing Alien Crush & New Adventure Island( thanks to RoyVegas)

Corredor X

Quote from: seieienbu on 01/18/2013, 07:52 PMI played nothing but R Type for over a week, finally beat it.  The whole thing is doable, just took me a long while until I was good enough.  Good luck!
Thanks!  :D  I think that's the beauty of R-Type, you can feel that it's possible to beat, but you need to be good enough for it. That's a quality some of the best games ever made have, like Megaman 2 or Contra III, for example. But R-Type stays in a very specific place among these games, because unlike the aforementioned, there's no place for errors. You loose one life (and every item you got with it) in some parts of the game and it's almost a Game Over sentence  :mrgreen:

CPTRAVE

Just finished ValisII awesome game. Time to start part III

-D-

Played Daisenpu Custom twice, I keep getting stuck at the boss of.... can't remember, Area 4 or 5.  It's actually 2 enemies, and they pop up out of the water.  The hitbox takes a little getting used to, bullets can graze through half your wing, but everywhere else will kill you, and with this boss the tail of your ship is the particularly hard part to avoid from getting hit.

esteban

Quote from: -D- on 01/20/2013, 11:13 PMPlayed Daisenpu Custom twice, I keep getting stuck at the boss of.... can't remember, Area 4 or 5.  It's actually 2 enemies, and they pop up out of the water.  The hitbox takes a little getting used to, bullets can graze through half your wing, but everywhere else will kill you, and with this boss the tail of your ship is the particularly hard part to avoid from getting hit.
That hitbox! Toaplan does this in a bunch of its games: In Tiger Heli (NES) for example, the bullets can graze the left-right side (very, very tiny wings a handful of pixels wide)...HOWEVER, it will AUTOMATICALLY DEPLOY a BOMB! It's like a "safety feature" of your helicopter, and it helps some players...but for experienced players it becomes an INTERESTING PENALTY FOR BEING SLOPPY.

I have always been intrigued by this wonderful little feature of the game.

BACK ON TOPIC: As you play Daisenpu, tell me if the music changes. I can't find my disc, but I recall hearing the same song in every stage (maybe I'm wrong). ANYWAY, this has been bothering me for years and I always ask folks about it whenever they mention the game. TO DATE, NO ONE HAS EVER ANSWERED ME! Maybe the problem is that all the songs are nondescript and blend together into one big bland wall of Red Book?

-D-, you have a mission. Do me proud. :pcgs:

Bardoly

Played through to the penultimate level of Hellfire S yesterday evening by myself, and this evening, I invited over a friend for the specific purpose of playing some 2-player simultaneous Hellfire S...

...after many, many, many deaths, we conquered Hellfire S!  (Actually, I'm much better than he at shoot-'em-ups, but having him there for the last two levels really soaked up a lot of bullets which would have been coming at me.   :-"   )

Pretty good game, even if its multi-directional firing 'gimmick' is a bit odd.   I'm going to rate it a solid '7' at PCE Daisakusen.

PukeSter

Quote from: Corredor X on 01/19/2013, 06:49 AM
Quote from: seieienbu on 01/18/2013, 07:52 PMI played nothing but R Type for over a week, finally beat it.  The whole thing is doable, just took me a long while until I was good enough.  Good luck!
Thanks!  :D  I think that's the beauty of R-Type, you can feel that it's possible to beat, but you need to be good enough for it. That's a quality some of the best games ever made have, like Megaman 2 or Contra III, for example. But R-Type stays in a very specific place among these games, because unlike the aforementioned, there's no place for errors. You loose one life (and every item you got with it) in some parts of the game and it's almost a Game Over sentence  :mrgreen:
I had that same feeling with Sidearms and Aeroblasters. Great games that just needed a lot of practice. Sidearms took me two weeks to beat, while Aeroblasters took about a few weeks spread across several months. I wish that the sequel, Sidearms Special, was as addictive and special as the first one...