@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilEvoIX

I'm playing "Bonk's Revenge" for the first time after beating "Bonk's Adventure".  I can make it to the Volcano Castle where I go down the hole as the stage starts.  I get stuck in there, can't get out.  I lost the flower that makes me fly accidentally so the game is stuck?  I have to shut that game off, what gives?
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

turboswimbz

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 03/31/2013, 03:05 PMI'm playing "Bonk's Revenge" for the first time after beating "Bonk's Adventure".  I can make it to the Volcano Castle where I go down the hole as the stage starts.  I get stuck in there, can't get out.  I lost the flower that makes me fly accidentally so the game is stuck?  I have to shut that game off, what gives?
What are you talking about? There is a jump flower to get out if you mess up and lose flight?
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: turboswimbz on 03/31/2013, 03:18 PM
Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 03/31/2013, 03:05 PMI'm playing "Bonk's Revenge" for the first time after beating "Bonk's Adventure".  I can make it to the Volcano Castle where I go down the hole as the stage starts.  I get stuck in there, can't get out.  I lost the flower that makes me fly accidentally so the game is stuck?  I have to shut that game off, what gives?
What are you talking about? There is a jump flower to get out if you mess up and lose flight?
Nope, Just get stuck, that's it.  I can break the bricks above my head and then I can't get out.  I am just stuck and suicide obviously doesn't work as just wake up again in the same spot.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

retroguy

I've finished the first two dungeons in Neutopia and I'm on level 2 of Dracula X (I can make it to the end of the level but haven't been able to beat the boss yet. If at first you don't succeed...).
I am bad and that's good. I will never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.

EvilEvoIX

I just Beat Bonk's Revenge.  It's similar to Bonk's Adventure in that simple persistence wins the game and that is what I did.  No continues but I would have to spam enemy bosses.  That ballerina thing I would get hurt every time I hit it.  The game I feel is not as good as Bonks Adventure although it should be.  The grafx are vastly superior but the control is not.  They ruined Bonk's flip control and timing.  That said I believe it was done on purpose to make the game harder which it was.  I enjoyed the Chip Tunes but they began reusing them and on a game with only 7 levels I feel that is kinda cheap.  The final boss is a joke, so easy I could not believe it was over when it was.

The Bonus levels I thought were cheap pieces of shit but after relentless trying I got the hang of most.  For some reason I can't do the bouncing flower Bonus levels as I cannot consistently get a high bounce so I always fall into the pit.  I am getting good at the Glacier Level for sure.  I need help with the Smash Antenna and Sno-Men level.

I liked how the end bosses had levels to go though but I didn't get the crab thing at all.  Yes it helped you get to places but why?  I felt parts of the game were really cheap with spam hits over and over however I really liked the Laundry level, so out of place so weird.  The water levels I kick ass at for some reason.

I would recommend to anyone as it defines the console for the mainstream audience.  Being a Suburban NJ Kid Bonk ran Neck and Neck with Mario and Sonic for a minute which to me is a MASSIVE victory.

The biggest disappointment was all the stillness in characters.  Bonk REALLY needs to be able to duck, this single sprite thing just stinks.  I would stop and look at the backgrounds, just still with the fire and lava moving just by streaming very colorful colors over and over again.  I thought the Skeleton Elephants looked good but all is stylistically beautiful.
IMGIMGIMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 03/31/2013, 03:29 PMNope, Just get stuck, that's it.  I can break the bricks above my head and then I can't get out.  I am just stuck and suicide obviously doesn't work as just wake up again in the same spot.
Perhaps you have to bonk off the edge when you jump up to get out?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

PunkCryborg

turboswimbz

NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

MrFlutterPie

Samurai Ghost.  It doesn`t  seem so bad so far.  Once you get used to the sword mechanics it`s not so bad.  It`s a lot better then Genpei Toumaden 2 that`s for sure!

esteban

Quote from: MrFlutterPie on 04/07/2013, 09:31 AMSamurai Ghost.  It doesn`t  seem so bad so far.  Once you get used to the sword mechanics it`s not so bad.  It`s a lot better then Genpei Toumaden 2 that`s for sure!
I used to praise this game to encourage folks to play it, but it hasn't really come up in conversation too much these past few years.

I agree: once you take a few moments to read the manual and learn the mechanics (of blocking/parrying and different offensive options) then the game is totally a blast to play. There are times to charge aggressively (parrying), whilst at other times a more careful advance is in your best interests. Plus, jumping over the red gates (at the end of levels) opens up a bit of mystery/strategy: what is the best path to follow? Where do the different gates go?

Excellent reflexes are a must for Samurai Ghost.

LOVE THE DAMN GAME.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Jordan

Bonk's Adventure. I am stuck at the monent but it's nothing that a little persistence will not fix.

Bardoly

Lords of Thunder

I still can't beat it.  :(

roflmao

Dragon's Curse.  Great game, but I feel I need large chunks of time to make any progress in it.  Soooo much exploration.  That's a good thing, I just wish I had more time. :)  The music is fantastic!

Bardoly

Quote from: guest on 04/11/2013, 12:48 AMDragon's Curse.  Great game, but I feel I need large chunks of time to make any progress in it.  Soooo much exploration.  That's a good thing, I just wish I had more time. :)  The music is fantastic!
Keep playing!  The exploration thing got me a bit at the beginning, but later the game feels a bit more linear.  It's a great game, though, so keep at it!

seieienbu

Quote from: guest on 04/11/2013, 12:48 AMDragon's Curse.  Great game, but I feel I need large chunks of time to make any progress in it.  Soooo much exploration.  That's a good thing, I just wish I had more time. :)  The music is fantastic!
I played it for the first time recently.  It was great, I think it took me a couple of weeks to get through it.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

majors

For some masochistic reason, I've been trudging through Double Dungeon. It's easy to play while not paying attention (while the TV is on). I'm mapping out the mazes old school style to get the full effect. The game is so dull...get 400 gold, get sword and armor, grind to level 13-14 and beat boss. Rinse and repeat. I have no idea WHY this was released ...I have NO idea why I'm playing it?!
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: majors on 04/12/2013, 08:33 AMFor some masochistic reason, I've been trudging through Double Dungeon. It's easy to play while not paying attention (while the TV is on). I'm mapping out the mazes old school style to get the full effect. The game is so dull...get 400 gold, get sword and armor, grind to level 13-14 and beat boss. Rinse and repeat. I have no idea WHY this was released ...I have NO idea why I'm playing it?!
It's more fun with two players.  Romping about in dungeons, getting lost, figuring out where each other are.  Fighting each other, double teaming bosses....  I have had GREAT times playing this with friends!!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

bob

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 04/12/2013, 10:10 AM
Quote from: majors on 04/12/2013, 08:33 AMFor some masochistic reason, I've been trudging through Double Dungeon. It's easy to play while not paying attention (while the TV is on). I'm mapping out the mazes old school style to get the full effect. The game is so dull...get 400 gold, get sword and armor, grind to level 13-14 and beat boss. Rinse and repeat. I have no idea WHY this was released ...I have NO idea why I'm playing it?!
It's more fun with two players.  Romping about in dungeons, getting lost, figuring out where each other are.  Fighting each other, double teaming bosses....  I have had GREAT times playing this with friends!!
I go to this game quite a bit on my TE.  Yes, very basic, but harks back to the good 'ol days.

Nando

Super Star Soldier. Can't say that I've been doing all that great in it...but I'm addicted.

Nando

bob

Gemineyetwin

Neutopia.  I just finished GoTzenDiener, but had to play it on the PC Engine since I don't own the CD player for the Turbo Grafx yet.

RoyVegas

Played the first four dungeons myself in Double Dungeons and have really been enjoying it. No need to map out the dungeons, just stick to a right hand or left hand wall and it will take you everywhere you need to be (in theory).
All is well. :)

esteban

Quote from: galam on 04/12/2013, 10:36 AM
Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 04/12/2013, 10:10 AM
I go to this game quite a bit on my TE.  Yes, very basic, but harks back to the good 'ol days.
majors! It's appeal is, as joshua pointed out, in the straightforward hack-n-grind (especially with another person). It's fun to abandon your partner and then, when one (or both) of you get into trouble, the drama builds as you call out to each other and try to get your bearings. It's simplicity is an asset IMG. I recommend playing your favorite vinyl LP's whilst playing Double Dungeons. Seriously.

As a solo game...well, I've had fun with it. But, as noted below, I get a bit obsessive with playing every crevice, every nook, every cranny in a game.

Quote from: RoyVegas on 04/14/2013, 12:03 AMPlayed the first four dungeons myself in Double Dungeons and have really been enjoying it. No need to map out the dungeons, just stick to a right hand or left hand wall and it will take you everywhere you need to be (in theory).
The later levels get a little wacky and to keep peace-of-mind, I felt better mapping it out (I like to complete 99%-100% of what a game offers, so, yeah, I'll search every room and corridor. Folks who aren't OBSESSIVE, ANAL like me probably have an easier time, of course. IMG

PunkCryborg

Karkilan

Playing Lords of Thunder atm. Next RPG will be my new copy of Exile: Wicked Phenomenon.

Bardoly

Quote from: Karkilan on 04/15/2013, 07:04 AMPlaying Lords of Thunder atm. Next RPG will be my new copy of Exile: Wicked Phenomenon.
Hey, welcome to Pcenginefx!  I just noticed that you are new here.

I've been playing Lords of Thunder myself as I've found time in the last three weeks, but I still haven't been able to beat it.  :(

EDIT:  I played some more Lords of Thunder tonight, and I still couldn't beat it.   ](*,). So I then played some Startling Odyssey II.

EDIT:  I played some 2-player Buster Bros. tonight with my sister.  Then I played some more Startling Odyssey II.  (My Duo is struggling with this CDR, so we'll just have to see if it'll make it all the way through...  I'm really wanting a pressed copy of this English-translated version about now...)

Jordan

Quote from: Bardoly on 04/15/2013, 06:47 PMEDIT:  I played some 2-player Buster Bros. tonight with my sister. 
That was fun!

I've been playing Neutopia today. :dance: I was told it was like the original Zelda, and it does remind me of Zelda. This is a good thing, since I'm in love with Zelda. Zelda: A Link to the Past is my fav. Though I've been playing Zelda: Goddess of Wisdom and that's fun.

PunkCryborg

Pomping World, Drop Rock HoraHora, Knight Rider Special and Cotton

Arkhan Asylum

Tiger Road and Son Son 2 all up in this bitch.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

whisper2053

Slowly working my way through Dragon Slayer. Grinding for goodness!
IMG
My Retro Gaming Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/whisper2053

esadajr

Gaming since 1985

bob

roflmao

Quote from: galam on 04/18/2013, 09:36 PMGiving cyber core a run.
The soundtrack is somewhat annoying yet strangely addicting.  This one grows on you.  It's not a top-tier shootie, but it has a certain undeniable charm.

Bardoly

I haven't played Neutopia in 15+ years, but since I encouraged my sister to give it a try, I decided to play it again.  I beat the first two labyrinths and got most of the way through the third one before have to put it up for the night.  Maybe my sister and I will race to see who will beat it first.

MrFlutterPie

Quote from: guest on 04/18/2013, 10:31 PM
The soundtrack is somewhat annoying yet strangely addicting.  This one grows on you.  It's not a top-tier shootie, but it has a certain undeniable charm.
This is true.

It's no Blazing lazers but it's still a fun solid shooter.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 04/18/2013, 10:31 PM
This is the song to play whilst speeding downhill, 50 mph, on a bike (as I have done): SOARING DOWN DEATH HIGHWAY

munchiaz

Played a lil Air Zonk last night. Also played Valis 2 and got to act 5 before i died

Bardoly

Quote from: Bardoly on 04/19/2013, 12:39 AMI haven't played Neutopia in 15+ years, but since I encouraged my sister to give it a try, I decided to play it again.  I beat the first two labyrinths and got most of the way through the third one before have to put it up for the night.  Maybe my sister and I will race to see who will beat it first.
Well, I played through and beat labyrinth 7 yesterday, so I'm probably ahead of my sister.

This playthrough is reminding me that this game really is a blantant ripoff of The Legend of Zelda.  This is not a bad thing at all, because The Legend of Zelda is a great game, and Neutopia really took it to the next level.  Really a great game!

bob

Quote from: Bardoly on 04/21/2013, 12:05 PM
Quote from: Bardoly on 04/19/2013, 12:39 AMI haven't played Neutopia in 15+ years, but since I encouraged my sister to give it a try, I decided to play it again.  I beat the first two labyrinths and got most of the way through the third one before have to put it up for the night.  Maybe my sister and I will race to see who will beat it first.
Well, I played through and beat labyrinth 7 yesterday, so I'm probably ahead of my sister.

This playthrough is reminding me that this game really is a blantant ripoff of The Legend of Zelda.  This is not a bad thing at all, because The Legend of Zelda is a great game, and Neutopia really took it to the next level.  Really a great game!
Yes, the game very much feels like a half way point between OG Zelda and Link to the Past.

I had a run with Buster Bros yesterday. I haven't played it in about 13 years. Forgot how fun it is. Even though there are only a couple balls bouncing around, it certainly got quite challenging. If you can master the "shoot, one step, shoot" tango, it's quite satisfying to wipe out a whole ball in what feels like one fluid motion. Best way for me to describe it for anyone new to it...it's the evolution of missle command.

geise

Ninja Spirit!  Thanks to NecroPhile I own it again.

Bardoly

First I played some more Lords of Thunder tonight.  I got all the way to the final stage, but I still couldn't beat it.   ](*,)

After beating my head against a wall for still not being able to beat Lords of Thunder, I went ahead and completed Neutopia tonight.  It was fun.  I think that I'm probably going to go ahead and play Neutopia II sometime soon.

I did play some Buster Bros. last week, and yes, it is a pretty fun game.

geise

Buster Bros. is awesome!  So is Lords of Thunder.  You chose wiselly.  :D

bob

Played a half hour of revival chase on the 2600 skin.
Also tore through GOT

jlued686

Quote from: galam on 04/22/2013, 10:16 PMPlayed a half hour of magical chase on the 2600 skin.
Also tore through GOT
You must've gotten the ultra-uber-rare version. I saw that on eBay once for about $37,000. ;)

PunkCryborg

esteban

whisper2053

Still muddling my way through Dragon Slayer, but have been breaking up some of the tedium with occasional bouts of Star Parodier. That being said, my copy of Ys Book 1&2 should be here shortly, and once that happens I will start working on completing the 4 'volume' saga beginning to end. Should be fun :)
IMG
My Retro Gaming Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/whisper2053

bob

Quote from: guest on 04/22/2013, 10:50 PM
Quote from: galam on 04/22/2013, 10:16 PMPlayed a half hour of magical chase on the 2600 skin.
Also tore through GOT
You must've gotten the ultra-uber-rare version. I saw that on eBay once for about $37,000. ;)
LOL. I meant revival chase. Fixed it.

jlued686