What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seieienbu

Nice writeup.  Now I want to play it to see what I think about it. 

I picked up a copy of Talespin today.  I've never played the game before, I'm hoping it's better than Darkwing Duck...
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

DesmondThe3rd

I been playing some Fantasy Zone again just to see if I can find a way to beat that cheap end boss without just luck. Not a perfect game but at least it plays different compared to a lot of other shooters out there.

monads

New Adventure Island.  Thought I was doing good....until I got to stage 5-1.  Kept dying.  It's either some stupid purple jumping frog or that damn dragon fly.

seieienbu

Well. Talespin is a very interesting game.  The levels are different enough to break up the monotony and it's got some nice artistic assets (as well as some boring ones, but whatever). 

I wonder if people working in the company that made these games had ever played, like, a good platformer.  The controls are awful, same as Darkwing Duck.  The game feels like it was made by people that didn't know what games are supposed to be like.

seieienbu

Ha, this just dawned on me.  Since I was a kid I've thought of the Adams family as the worst Turbo game I've owned.  Talespin has officially taken over that lofty title.

esadajr

PC Denjin, just awesome. I'm glad I got into the PCE obey
Gaming since 1985

blueraven

Jordan

I finally finished Neutopia a few weeks ago. I've been playing Order of the Griffon, and just started Image Fight. I played a bit of Raiden so I won't totally embarrass myself at VGS I'm really loving it though :dance: kinda surprised as I'm not really a shoot em up player.

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: Jordan on 07/13/2013, 05:24 AMI finally finished Neutopia a few weeks ago. I've been playing Order of the Griffon, and just started Image Fight. I played a bit of Raiden so I won't totally embarrass myself at VGS I'm really loving it though :dance: kinda surprised as I'm not really a shoot em up player.
What a coincidence!  I too studied up on some Raiden during the week. Unfortunately I was unable to avoid the embarrassment of failing over and over again... :(  AND, I no longer ever wish to own Battle Load Runner.

Played some Dragon Egg (Thanks Matti!!), Raiden, Monolith, and even a dash of that damned Rabio Lepus Special!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

geise

Trying some high score runs in Super Star Soldier.

BTW Josh Rabio Lepus Special is awesome!  :D

VenomMacbeth

Getting my feudal Japan on with Ninja Spirit & Genpei Toumaden.

EDIT:  I actually just beat Genpei for the first time!  What an awesome game.  The turbo controller really helps with making longer jumps.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

turboswimbz

Time Cruise -  very intresting game.  While not terrible it does not live up to the naxat games (IMO of course)  But it was a nice little surprise as compared to Impossimole and Night Creatures.  The game is worth a try for sure, and can be fun, but it was lacking in the replay value for me. 

All in all 3 games that were screaming to be great, they had all the pieces there, But just fell short due to programming.  I mean with a little more time and effort each of these games could have produced really decent games, instead all they have is cool ideas, mediocre game play, and poor controls and physics.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Bardoly

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 07/15/2013, 12:32 PM
Quote from: Jordan on 07/13/2013, 05:24 AMI finally finished Neutopia a few weeks ago. I've been playing Order of the Griffon, and just started Image Fight. I played a bit of Raiden so I won't totally embarrass myself at VGS I'm really loving it though :dance: kinda surprised as I'm not really a shoot em up player.
What a coincidence!  I too studied up on some Raiden during the week. Unfortunately I was unable to avoid the embarrassment of failing over and over again... :(  AND, I no longer ever wish to own Battle Load Runner.

Played some Dragon Egg (Thanks Matti!!), Raiden, Monolith, and even a dash of that damned Rabio Lepus Special! 
Awwww...   :-({|=  Battle Lode Runner wasn't THAT bad, now was it?  I played it for the first time as well, and couldn't win even one round, but I still want to get it.  :o  Didn't you also get in on the Revival Chase fun, too?

syphic

Still getting my ass checked by Aldynes. Ugh.
Awesome trades and deals with:
Fiftyquid, thesteve, keithcourage, mothergunner, Bernie, turboswimbz, Bardoly, BlueBMW, Galam, Elderboroom, dicer

Bardoly

My friend and I knocked down Tailspin a couple of days ago over the course of two evenings.  It really isn't too bad.

/bnl3.jpg

/3zc7.jpg

/6fbg.jpg

Don't be afraid to give it a try.  Below is the comment that I posted on PCE Daisakusen regarding this game.

QuoteMy friend and I beat this game recently.  This platformer is really not too bad.  It is definitely harder than the children who would have been watching the TV show that this is based on.  I must say, that after the first four platforming levels, the shoot-'em-up level and the spy/avoidance level were a bit of a surprise, but it came back in the end to a platforming level to wrap things up.

Anyway, give this game a chance, and remember that back in the day, because games were usually shorter, developers had to make games harder to compensate for that, so when compared to many, many other games released around the same time, the difficulty of this game isn't quite a bad.

I did have to rate this as a solid '5' out of 10, which in my book is completely average.
We also played some assorted other games, some of which were Override, Raiden, Super Raiden, Legend of Hero Tonma, etc...  All in all, a couple of evenings of Turbo fun!

RoyVegas

Been playing Raiden a lot lately.  I do love almost every aspect of the game...... That however doesn't stop me from coming milliseconds from taking my beloved controller and throwing it through the f**king TV.  Damn the difficulty!   ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
All is well. :)

turboswimbz

I was just playing some Super Raiden this morning as well.  8)  I really enjoy the game too.  Great amount of fun, But On the later levels I am horrible. 

Then again my Shoot em Up skills are in the "dude have you ever played retor games before?".  :shock:
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

esteban

Quote from: turboswimbz on 07/18/2013, 05:47 PMI was just playing some Super Raiden this morning as well.  8)  I really enjoy the game too.  Great amount of fun, But On the later levels I am horrible.  

Then again my Shoot em Up skills are in the "dude have you ever played retor games before?".  :shock:
Quote from: RoyVegas on 07/18/2013, 05:32 PMBeen playing Raiden a lot lately.  I do love almost every aspect of the game...... That however doesn't stop me from coming milliseconds from taking my beloved controller and throwing it through the f**king TV.  Damn the difficulty!   ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
The later stages (7+) drive me crazy, but I usually f@ck up at some point in 4-6 that make me sigh out loud (ha!). I love/hate Raiden  :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Bardoly

Are there any gameplay differences at all between Raiden and Super Raiden?  I know that the music is different.

esteban

Quote from: Bardoly on 07/20/2013, 12:23 PMAre there any gameplay differences at all between Raiden and Super Raiden?  I know that the music is different.
Two extra stages tacked on Super Raiden, the music is simply orchestral arrangements of regular chiptunes.

For the most thorough review of a Super Raiden, search for elnino's review of it...wait, was that his name? FUDGE! What was the dude's name?

TRYING TO SEARCH FORUMS...

esteban

Quote from: Bardoly on 07/20/2013, 04:04 PM
Quote from: esteban on 07/20/2013, 02:13 PMTRYING TO SEARCH FORUMS
Good luck with that.  :roll:
I know, right!?

UPDATE: It was rolins—that's the dude's name! Still searching...

Bardoly, you thought I had forgotten. You thought I had given up on you. YOU THOUGHT I HAD FORSAKEN YOU?! Hell, no!

UPDATE ON UPDATE: rolins explains Raiden vs. Super Raiden without any real spoilers

Oh, and this is how I found it, instantly (be sure to click "Only Forums")...

IMG

ASIDE: rolins is someone who I wish would return! He was a shoot-em-up fan, had an MSX, and always could be trusted with his insight on games.

turboswimbz

Bardoly,  If you come across it get the SCD Raiden. While it plays Identical, the redone SFX and Music are worth it.  I also find the SCD scrolling to be a little nicer, but maybe I'm just going crazy there.  I have yet to beat either version so It's good to know that there is some extra levels.  Level 7 is as far as I've made it Thus far.  Later on in this game it gets rather hard,  The game throws as many enemies as humanly possible and several that come in close to fire and run away.  I noticed in that review that 9 and 10 up this. (great)

chany60126

Been playing Outrun on the PC Engine. I must say it is a pretty solid port of the arcade. :)

esteban

Quote from: chany60126 on 07/24/2013, 09:56 AMBeen playing Outrun on the PC Engine. I must say it is a pretty solid port of the arcade. :)
I know I won't be this lucky, but I'm hoping to win the raffle for loose Outrun here in the forums.  :pcgs:

RoyVegas

Raiden, Raiden and more Raiden. Stage 5 is my road block at the moment.
All is well. :)

Bardoly

Quote from: esteban on 07/24/2013, 10:52 AM
Quote from: chany60126 on 07/24/2013, 09:56 AMBeen playing Outrun on the PC Engine. I must say it is a pretty solid port of the arcade. :)
I know I won't be this lucky, but I'm hoping to win the raffle for loose Outrun here in the forums.  :pcgs:
I believe that it's actually a complete copy with manual and case.   :mrgreen:

MrFlutterPie

Riot Zone!!!

It should have been so much better.  Why are there no weapons and why are the backgrounds so crappy looking?  Why does this even need to be a Super CD format?  Such a wasted opportunity IMO.

bob

Quote from: MrFlutterPie on 07/25/2013, 06:52 PMRiot Zone!!!

It should have been so much better.  Why are there no weapons and why are the backgrounds so crappy looking?  Why does this even need to be a Super CD format?  Such a wasted opportunity IMO.
It must be the music.   :wink:

This got me thinking, are there any good beat-em-ups on huey?  I know the US games are few and far between, but what about PCE?
Just a good straight beat-the-crap-out-of-palette-swapped-bad-guys?

awack

When it comes to hucards there isn't anything like sor or final fight that I can think of, the closest thing I can think of is vigilante which is a single plane beatmup, theres a samurai game, its pretty crappy and I cant remember the name.

for the cd though we have, tenchi o karu, crest of wolf, double dragon 2, galaxy gayvan its single plane though like vigilante, anesan, there might be a couple others I cant remember off hand

majors

I've been playing a VGS pickup, Outrun, like Chany also. Zipang and Kato & Ken are also stacked up near the console shelf for quick access.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

wildfruit

playing parasol stars 2 player with my son its so much fun

esteban

Quote from: wildfruit on 07/26/2013, 03:35 PMplaying parasol stars 2 player with my son its so much fun
Awesome.  :pcgs:

Bardoly

Level 6 of Nexzr is killing me...

Edit:  Well, I finally beat level 6, and then I beat level 7 which was the last stage, so I beat the game!

I was playing the Carnival Version, so now I have to decide if I want to play all the way through the game again, so that I can beat the regular version just to see the cinema screens.   :-k :-k :-k

Edit:  Well, I must be a glutton for punishment, because I went ahead and popped in the regular version of Nexzr and beat it!

I'm going to call it a solid '7 out of 10', which in my book is a very good game.  If its power-up system were a bit more robust and/or it had a 2-player simultaneous option, then it could easily be a 9/10 out of 10.

roflmao

I'm currently living out of an RV and will be for the next few weeks (at least), but I brought along my PCE briefcase setup, a spare TG16, and my 3.5", av-out modded Express, so I have been able to obey!  (All my other consoles got packed onto the moving truck)

I've made it to the 3rd labyrinth in Neutopia II (thanks again, KeithCourage!) and am just about to enter Darm Tower in Ys Book I.  My 5 yr old is LOVING both of those games.

I've also played a fair amount of After Burner II, Star Parodier, Spriggan, Space Harrier, Ordyne, Final Soldier, Sidearms Special, and Blazing Lazers, but those go without mentioning... :P

Nec.Game.head

In the past few days I have been playing a whole lot of Devils Crush again. My girlfriend is the house champ and I believe she is still the top score ranking person on here also. lol I allowed her to play the game way too much and now I cannot ever get close to beating her high score even when she's having a bad game  #-o ...
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

majors

Quote from: guest on 07/28/2013, 12:12 AMI'm currently living out of an RV and will be for the next few weeks (at least), but I brought along my PCE briefcase setup, a spare TG16, and my 3.5", av-out modded Express, so I have been able to obey! 
It's not a home until you got the Turbo hooked up.

Rep the obey in Kansas!
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

Bardoly

Played some Mine Sweeper Saturday and Sunday a bit.  Man, the Cook's Quest is hard!  I did beat the first Voyage mission, though.

NecroPhile

Quote from: MrFlutterPie on 07/25/2013, 06:52 PMRiot Zone!!!

... why are the backgrounds so crappy looking?
You crazy.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

hoobs88

1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

csgx1

I've been playing Rayxanber II and got to level 4.  I can easily get through levels 1-3, but level 4 is the toughie. 

Anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to get passed level 4?

MrFlutterPie

seieienbu

Wooo, Cotton.  I've never played it before today.  This game seems pretty fun so far.

esteban

Quote from: seieienbu on 07/29/2013, 11:53 PMWooo, Cotton.  I've never played it before today.  This game seems pretty fun so far.
Send it to me so I can report my impressions. Thank you.

seieienbu

Quote from: esteban on 07/30/2013, 01:42 AMSend it to me so I can report my impressions. Thank you.
When I'm finished perhaps I'll sell it for the same price I bought it.

wmacmonagle

Played again on Pyramid Plunger.  This game s fun and making me crazy because I love fast game and I cant pick up any gold bars if i RUN GRRR!!!!..

I do love playing pacman game and I require to play at speed up chips otherwise i wont play.  Pyramid plunder doesnt have speed up chip!! It does make sense because i cant grab 10-25 lbs of gold bar while running lol!!.. 

Great game!!!

-wmac
Arcade Line Up: UDOT, Multi-Vector Duel, Tempest Multi, Mini-Galaga, Z-Hyperspin, X360 Blast City, Spiderman Pin, 96 in 1 PacMan

roflmao

Quote from: majors on 07/29/2013, 09:43 AM
Quote from: guest on 07/28/2013, 12:12 AMI'm currently living out of an RV and will be for the next few weeks (at least), but I brought along my PCE briefcase setup, a spare TG16, and my 3.5", av-out modded Express, so I have been able to obey! 
It's not a home until you got the Turbo hooked up.

Rep the obey in Kansas!
Wise words. :)

Bardoly

Quote from: wmacmonagle on 07/30/2013, 07:15 PMPlayed again on Pyramid Plunger.  This game s fun and making me crazy because I love fast game and I cant pick up any gold bars if i RUN GRRR!!!!..

I do love playing pacman game and I require to play at speed up chips otherwise i wont play.  Pyramid plunder doesnt have speed up chip!! It does make sense because i cant grab 10-25 lbs of gold bar while running lol!!..  

Great game!!!

-wmac
There may be a way to run AND collect gold bars simultaneously......

Bardoly

Played some Macross 2036 tonight, but I didn't have the time to try to beat it.  It didn't seem too hard, though, so maybe when I do find some time, I'll be able to play through it.

esadajr

just finished Sapphy this past weekend. Either I was really inspired or Sapphy is just an easy game. First PCE shooter I finish.
Gaming since 1985