RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kid_rondeau

Yeah, and if you have a TurboStick, use slow. Not only does it make the game beatable in the later stages (I mean "Scenes"...how stupid is that?? What ever happened to "Stage 1"...what's this "Scene A" froufrou nonsense?), but it also stops you from dying by continually recharging your life.

Man, beating that game was hardly worth the effort I put into it.

mobiusclimber

I've been playing Splatterhouse, but I can't seem to figure out how to get past level 2. Those weird floating spiky landmind things are indestructible, Jason can't jump to save his life, and the power slide doesn't seem to do anything either. I tried gamefaqs but every faq seemed to be about the arcade version, where you can jump over them.

I also just got a Japanese RPG on the Hu-Card, can't think of the name right now. Not sure how much I'll be playing it tho as it's very similar to the early Ys series, and I'm not a fan of running into enemies to kill them.

kid_rondeau

MobiusClimber,
I remember having to jump slightly to the left as those spiky landmine things are coming at me...then "hook around" to the right, and you should clear it. It really isn't very hard.

nat

Quote from: kid_rondeau on 09/23/2008, 06:53 AMYeah, and if you have a TurboStick, use slow. Not only does it make the game beatable in the later stages (I mean "Scenes"...how stupid is that?? What ever happened to "Stage 1"...what's this "Scene A" froufrou nonsense?), but it also stops you from dying by continually recharging your life.

Man, beating that game was hardly worth the effort I put into it.
Using SLOW mode completely defeats the purpose of playing the game.... You're just taking advantage of a glitch in the code and cheating. Where's the fun in that?

mobiusclimber

Quote from: kid_rondeau on 09/23/2008, 03:29 PMMobiusClimber,
I remember having to jump slightly to the left as those spiky landmine things are coming at me...then "hook around" to the right, and you should clear it. It really isn't very hard.
To quote Neo in the Matrix, "Whoa."  :lol: I had no idea you could do that, I thought it was a regular side-scroller with just the one plane, no ducking around stuff.

kid_rondeau

QuoteUsing SLOW mode completely defeats the purpose of playing the game.... You're just taking advantage of a glitch in the code and cheating. Where's the fun in that?
"Where's the fun in that?"

...It's Deep Blue we're talking about, so I think the answer to that question is obvious.

The only enjoyable (in my opinion) thing about that game is the opening music piece. Sometimes I'll load the chip, let it play, and then move on to something else.

But to address your point more legitimately, I have to say it's not my fault that the Slow feature regenerates life; I use Slow because I need to slow the game down to beat it. I feel a game is still righteously beaten if you used slow to do it.

Although I'm probably VERY alone in that opinion....

nat

Quote from: kid_rondeau on 09/23/2008, 06:44 PMAlthough I'm probably VERY alone in that opinion....
No doubt. Especially being someone who has beaten the game legitimately, I have NO respect for your "accomplishment."  :wink:

JoshTurboTrollX

Legendary Axe II - so much more 16-bit than the original!!     8)
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

turbofan1

I always thought Legendary Axe II was A underrated game.The game can get A little repetitive in some areas,still A great game.The ending left open for A sequel,that never happened.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 09/23/2008, 07:53 PMLegendary Axe II - so much more 16-bit than the original!!     8)
Quote from: turbofan1 on 09/23/2008, 11:01 PMI always thought Legendary Axe II was A underrated game.The game can get A little repetitive in some areas,still A great game.The ending left open for A sequel,that never happened.
I beat Legendary Axe bitd. Never played the sequel. I gotta get these two game.  8)
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Ratix

Quote from: kid_rondeau on 09/23/2008, 06:44 PM
QuoteUsing SLOW mode completely defeats the purpose of playing the game.... You're just taking advantage of a glitch in the code and cheating. Where's the fun in that?
"Where's the fun in that?"

...It's Deep Blue we're talking about, so I think the answer to that question is obvious.

The only enjoyable (in my opinion) thing about that game is the opening music piece. Sometimes I'll load the chip, let it play, and then move on to something else.

But to address your point more legitimately, I have to say it's not my fault that the Slow feature regenerates life; I use Slow because I need to slow the game down to beat it. I feel a game is still righteously beaten if you used slow to do it.

Although I'm probably VERY alone in that opinion....
I managed to get to scene B but gave up shortly after. i will pick it up again it plays nice BGM as i play the game except when the crazy parts happen
Quote from: ceti alpha on 09/24/2008, 02:47 PM
Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 09/23/2008, 07:53 PMLegendary Axe II - so much more 16-bit than the original!!     8)
Quote from: turbofan1 on 09/23/2008, 11:01 PMI always thought Legendary Axe II was A underrated game.The game can get A little repetitive in some areas,still A great game.The ending left open for A sequel,that never happened.
I beat Legendary Axe bitd. Never played the sequel. I gotta get these two game.  8)
I have both those games!
and i do love Legendary Axe who knew flare would wait for gogan all that time? as for the sequel i did feel that it wasn't that much of a sequel but the game overall had a good feel to it.
IMG

Ceti Alpha

Just cleared Final Zone II. This game is a real diamond in the rough. I love the various gameplay modes and getting to play different characters. In the last couple levels the character you choose really determines how well you do. The voice acting is terrible, but it's so bad it's good. It's better than bad, it's good.

The final boss music will change your life forever.

In honour of Final Zone II: (I believe this is the Happy Console Gamer)
IMG

CrackTiger

I'm currently playing Blood Gear. This is the first time I've gotten anywhere in the game. In the past I was turned off by how long it took to get started and didn't really know what the game was like.

It's awesome. 8)
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Ceti Alpha

Blood Gear looks pretty damn cool - Veigues, with a little more platforming. Good combo.  8)

Right now Star Parodia has my full attention.

I can see that Bikkuriman World is going to be a long stretched out battle. lol There's this hidden boss on stage 3, IIRC. It's the boss with the scarf over her face and she throws those boulders at you. I just can't seem to beat her. She takes a shit load of hits. I've been stuck on her for weeks. I might just skip her and move on because I've made it to level 9 without fighting her. It will kill me not knowing what beating her gives you.  ](*,)
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: ceti alpha on 11/09/2008, 02:34 PMBlood Gear looks pretty damn cool - Veigues, with a little more platforming. Good combo.  8)
Blood Gear is more like Ys III with more gameplay.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

blueraven

I'm working on The Legend of Xanadu part 1. I'm starting to question the whole bump-fighter thing again, but I'm really enjoying having a functioning system to work with.  8)

mbrayf

I'm currently splitting my time between Bomberman '94 and Override... I'm hooked on shooters and beating the lad at bomberman...    :twisted:
Too many consoles, not enough time!!!!

nectarsis

Quote from: blueraven on 11/09/2008, 04:22 PMI'm working on The Legend of Xanadu part 1. I'm starting to question the whole bump-fighter thing again, but I'm really enjoying having a functioning system to work with.  8)
The Legend of Xanadu is such a great ga,e (nothing beats flying thru a row of slimes at turbo speeds ;) Sadly I need to start from scratch as my save was lost :(
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

blueraven

Quote from: nectarsis on 11/09/2008, 04:34 PM
Quote from: blueraven on 11/09/2008, 04:22 PMI'm working on The Legend of Xanadu part 1. I'm starting to question the whole bump-fighter thing again, but I'm really enjoying having a functioning system to work with.  8)
The Legend of Xanadu is such a great ga,e (nothing beats flying thru a row of slimes at turbo speeds ;) Sadly I need to start from scratch as my save was lost :(
I just got the game for about $8, and I'm impressed. I've heard that 2 is totally insane.

nectarsis

Never played part 2 yet (NEED to finish part 1 first).  Nat, and runinruder on here are the 2 main people on here that enlightened me to these GREAt games, and are full of great info on these :)

blueraven

Thanks for the tip; If I run into any walls I will definitely be posting something here about it.  :mrgreen:

blueraven

Taking a break from Art of Fighting and currently playing Rastan Saga 2. I don't remember level 3 being this hard on the Genesis...

handygrafx

Been playing Military Madness on Wii VC,  because I like sitting back with the wireless Wii Remote and enjoy the crisp component video output of the Wii,       and Neo Nectaris on my Duo.

zektor

I have been playing Cyber Core alot lately. I really don't think I appreciated this game back in the day, and only now have really been getting in to the shooter. I really like it!

kid_rondeau

Yeah man, the final stage music for Cybercore kicks ass.

nectarsis

Going to FINALLY dig into Blazing Lazers today.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: nectarsis on 11/12/2008, 11:24 AMGoing to FINALLY dig into Blazing Lazers today.
Nice!  :dance: I don't know why I have been procrastinating on buying Blazing Lazers since 1989. lol
IMG

kid_rondeau

I've been getting back into Military Madness.

I got into this game way later than I should have (September 2005), but when I did, it was like CRACK. I COULD NOT STOP PLAYING IT, and every campaign I won was a rush of orgiastic triumph.

The game consumed my waking thoughts. When I closed my eyes, I saw little white hexagons with tanks in them.

Still, I beat the game a couple of weeks later, and decided to try my hand at the "advanced" maps. Some of them were more challenging, and some were unbelievably easy.

And then, at level 26, "ATTAYA", I hit a f**king wall.

Has anyone here beaten that level? I cannot go for more than a few turns before it starts to get hopeless. I found an online walkthru, but the strategy for this level references using units that I don't have (e.g., Panther) so I don't trust it fully. The author did, to his credit, say that he thought this was the hardest level in the game.

I love this game. I wish it wouldn't torture me so.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: kid_rondeau on 11/12/2008, 03:02 PMI've been getting back into Military Madness.

I got into this game way later than I should have (September 2005), but when I did, it was like CRACK. I COULD NOT STOP PLAYING IT, and every campaign I won was a rush of orgiastic triumph.

The game consumed my waking thoughts. When I closed my eyes, I saw little white hexagons with tanks in them.

Still, I beat the game a couple of weeks later, and decided to try my hand at the "advanced" maps. Some of them were more challenging, and some were unbelievably easy.

And then, at level 26, "ATTAYA", I hit a f**king wall.

Has anyone here beaten that level? I cannot go for more than a few turns before it starts to get hopeless. I found an online walkthru, but the strategy for this level references using units that I don't have (e.g., Panther) so I don't trust it fully. The author did, to his credit, say that he thought this was the hardest level in the game.

And yet another game I've been putting off buying for some strange reason.
IMG

blueraven

Well, I'm back to playing Exile. My Japanese is getting better by the day!

kid_rondeau

Quote from: kid_rondeau on 11/12/2008, 03:02 PMAnd then, at level 26, "ATTAYA", I hit a f**king wall.

Dude.

I don't know if talking to other Turbo junkies is theraputic or what, but I decided to give level 26 another go tonight. I started at about 8:42PM, and finished at about 10:15PM...BUT I WON!!!!!

God, talk about time-consuming, nail-biting, edge-of-your-seat action!

A nice touch to this game, I've always thought, is how the music changes to a more optimistic piece when your forces are double what the enemies' are.

Friggin' rock and roll, man...I feel awesome right now. That stage has been bugging me for like three years now.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: kid_rondeau on 11/12/2008, 03:02 PMDude.

I don't know if talking to other Turbo junkies is theraputic or what, but I decided to give level 26 another go tonight. I started at about 8:42PM, and finished at about 10:15PM...BUT I WON!!!!!

God, talk about time-consuming, nail-biting, edge-of-your-seat action!

A nice touch to this game, I've always thought, is how the music changes to a more optimistic piece when your forces are double what the enemies' are.

Friggin' rock and roll, man...I feel awesome right now. That stage has been bugging me for like three years now.
HA! Nice man!  =D>  :dance: You must be walkin' on air.  :mrgreen:

There's nothing like getting over a hump in a game after long torturous hours of  ](*,).
IMG

blueraven

I beat Exile front to back in 4 hours. Can't wait for Wicked Phenomenon

Arjak

I have been playing Ys Book I & II for a few days with my little sister and we have made it all the way to Solomon Shrine in Ys II. I hate this level. It's such a maze!

Also, I overleveled in Ys I and beat Dark Fact in 3-4 hits. That was awesome. That first boss in Ys II though, that was bull. You die in one hit!? That's ridiculous! Maybe I didn't level up enough, but GOD! Still, I'm almost there now.
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

kid_rondeau

Quote from: Arjak on 11/14/2008, 05:52 PMI have been playing Ys Book I & II for a few days with my little sister and we have made it all the way to Solomon Shrine in Ys II.
Man, that's awesome. I think it's great when Turbo playing becomes a family affair.

Or, to almost quote Demanicus (from Ys III):
"Brother and sister, [gaming] together....what a nice image!"

Arjak

I won! Darm is a jerk; I had so much trouble beating him! He's much easier in Ys II Complete for the PC. Anyway, I've already started on Ys III, Wanderers From Bearable Voice Acting. :wink:
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

blueraven

Working on Legend of Xanadu pt. 1. Crazy.

MotherGunner

Since Salamander has me more pissed off than a midget trying to run hurdles I switched to my PS3 and popped in Nectaris 2.  Will get some Blazing Lazers on my TE before bed tonight.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

nat

Quote from: blueraven on 11/16/2008, 02:37 AMWorking on Legend of Xanadu pt. 1. Crazy.
The Xanadu games are some of the best on the Turbo, hands down.

blueraven

You shoot across the screen. I've never seen an rpg run this fast. *blueraven is learning Japanese*

DJLobo

Just picked up a copy of Beyond Shadowgate last week. The kid in me is very happy right now. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Early to bed, early to rise gives a man no social life. - Yakko Warner

kid_rondeau

Whew.

Stage 26 was definitely BY FAR the hardest stage of Military Madness. I just beat stage 31 and 32 this morning, and that's it for the game.

I feel a sense of completion now. Sweet.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: kid_rondeau on 11/18/2008, 12:25 PMWhew.

Stage 26 was definitely BY FAR the hardest stage of Military Madness. I just beat stage 31 and 32 this morning, and that's it for the game.

I feel a sense of completion now. Sweet.
haha. Nice work!  =D>
IMG

RoyVegas

Holy hell, noone's played a Turbo games since Nov 08?  Ok, ok I know there is another thread in Console Chat however that thread covers ANY system.  Well, I don't care at all about other systems, I care about what Turbo games people are playing.

Finished off Cyber Core and wanted some more shooter action.  I've been playing Blazing Lazers.  I don't really have any troubles until I get to level 9.  Once I'm there and a few bosses in, it all goes down hill.   All the bosses are easy but getting to them is hell.

Rise from the dead!
All is well. :)

esteban

Inspired by the "Game of the Week" thread, I pulled out Vigilante for the PCE. Beat that sucker (1CC, no, of course I didn't lose a single life).

Then I revisited Space Invaders HuCard, which I've been obsessed with, for some bizzarro reason. I like the updated version.

Of course, I couldn't turn off the PCE without getting some good old Gomola Speed under the belt. Damn, I love that game.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Arkhan Asylum

im playing shirei sensen, WAR OF TEH DEAD
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

RoyVegas

Worked on Blazing Lazers again tonight.  Same old story, not much of an issue until I get to level 9.  Once I get a few bosses in and die it's game over.  I'll keep at it though. :cry:
All is well. :)

blueraven

geise

I've been playing Pop'n Magic.  Freaking love that game!  Finally pulled out Rayxanber II again after putting it off for 10 years...and again level 4 is my nightmare.  I can get to the last boss of that level then die.  Still the hardest shooter to me on the pce/turbo.  Only one in my massive collection I have yet to complete.  Still a good game though.

NecroPhile

Valis II, New Adventure Island, Splash Lake, and Parasol Stars:dance:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!