@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

o.pwuaioc

SMS shooters played: Power Striker, Global Defense, Bomber Raid, and Thunder Blade.

Re: Dragon Spirit and Cyber Core, both are really just building off Xevious, which pioneered that 2-level mechanic.

I own and enjoy Cyber Core, but I don't play it often because going through several levels uninterrupted isn't too much of a challenge. It's a nice, relaxing shooter, though, when I'm a bit tipsy at night.

If you like Dragon Spirit but find it too hard, the NES one is much easier in comparison.

reno5

I've just completed Dungeon Explorer for the first time even if i had the games for years.

grolt

Quote from: guest on 09/14/2015, 02:39 PMSMS shooters played: Power Striker, Global Defense, Bomber Raid, and Thunder Blade.

Re: Dragon Spirit and Cyber Core, both are really just building off Xevious, which pioneered that 2-level mechanic.

I own and enjoy Cyber Core, but I don't play it often because going through several levels uninterrupted isn't too much of a challenge. It's a nice, relaxing shooter, though, when I'm a bit tipsy at night.

If you like Dragon Spirit but find it too hard, the NES one is much easier in comparison.
Good choices for the SMS.  I actually really like the Thunder Blade port, it retains the entirety of each level and deals with the lack of scaling during the After Burner-esque scenes pretty capably. Astro Warrior and Blade Eagle 3-D never really get talked about and are probably my two favorite shooters for the system.  I mentioned them in the SMS thread in Console Chat, but Astro Warrior is only a few levels but plays really well with some addicting music, and Blade Eagle 3-D has a really cool use of the 3-D that has you switching between the foreground and background of levels to attack (similar to Xevious except when you switch to the background nothing in the foreground can hit you and vice versa).
I'm a notorious strange man.

EmperorIng

Dragon Spirit and Cyber Core feel similar because everyone and their mother ripped off Xevious back in the day, not least of all Namco themselves.

PukeSter

Finally beat Dragon's Curse. I never finished the master system version, but then I tried this one. Very good game, though grind heavy at times.

grolt

Quote from: guest on 09/14/2015, 07:06 PMFinally beat Dragon's Curse. I never finished the master system version, but then I tried this one. Very good game, though grind heavy at times.
That's a game that just keeps getting better and better the longer it goes, how the complexity of the level design keeps revealing itself as you traverse the same worlds with each new form. I haven't yet played the TG game in full, but the SMS game is one of my all-time favorites. I don't remember all that much about any grinding.

PukeSter

Quote from: EmperorIng on 09/14/2015, 06:14 PMDragon Spirit and Cyber Core feel similar because everyone and their mother ripped off Xevious back in the day, not least of all Namco themselves.
Let's not forget Twinbee!

grolt

Fired up some Air Zonk last night.  Pretty fun game that managed to make the leap from platformer to shooter pretty admirably while still retaining the charm and upgrade mechanics of the Bonk games.  All the characters tend to be a little too big which simplifies the gameplay a little too much, but it is a fun feeling when you go all giant and just decimate bosses.  Having different "friends" come along with you is a nice touch that adds a kind of marquee cast to the game so it's not just the B/Zonk show.  I love how quick the opening cut scene is at explaining the Bonk to Zonk transition - dude got sunglasses BOOM he's flying and shit.

esteban

Quote from: grolt on 09/15/2015, 11:25 AMFired up some Air Zonk last night.  Pretty fun game that managed to make the leap from platformer to shooter pretty admirably while still retaining the charm and upgrade mechanics of the Bonk games.  All the characters tend to be a little too big which simplifies the gameplay a little too much, but it is a fun feeling when you go all giant and just decimate bosses.  Having different "friends" come along with you is a nice touch that adds a kind of marquee cast to the game so it's not just the B/Zonk show.  I love how quick the opening cut scene is at explaining the Bonk to Zonk transition - dude got sunglasses BOOM he's flying and shit.
I concur on most points.

Best thing you mentioned = cinema scene.

Origin of Zonk: Sunglasses

I know it would never have happened, but I wish the origin of Zonk was SUNGLASSES + CIGARETTES = ZONK

IMG  IMG
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

grolt

Quote from: esteban on 09/15/2015, 01:27 PM
Quote from: grolt on 09/15/2015, 11:25 AMFired up some Air Zonk last night.  Pretty fun game that managed to make the leap from platformer to shooter pretty admirably while still retaining the charm and upgrade mechanics of the Bonk games.  All the characters tend to be a little too big which simplifies the gameplay a little too much, but it is a fun feeling when you go all giant and just decimate bosses.  Having different "friends" come along with you is a nice touch that adds a kind of marquee cast to the game so it's not just the B/Zonk show.  I love how quick the opening cut scene is at explaining the Bonk to Zonk transition - dude got sunglasses BOOM he's flying and shit.
I concur on most points.

Best thing you mentioned = cinema scene.

Origin of Zonk: Sunglasses

I know it would never have happened, but I wish the origin of Zonk was SUNGLASSES + CIGARETTES = ZONK

IMG
IMG
No guns in the B/Zonk series, just transvestites.

EmperorIng

IMG

1ALL'd/cleared Kyuukyoku Tiger. I wish this game didn't take so long to get challenging. At least I was able to teach Taito/Toaplan something about courage, at least according to the credits screen. Good game, though I think Raiden is better.

Damon Plus

Quote from: guest on 09/14/2015, 07:06 PMFinally beat Dragon's Curse. I never finished the master system version, but then I tried this one. Very good game, though grind heavy at times.
Unless they changed the gameplay, WB III wasn't grindy at all.

nopepper

Yeah, remember playing the SMS as a kid, and it never struck me as grindy in any way, shape or form. Now Phantasy Star, yeah, that was grindy, but not this.

Admittedly, I have not played the Turbo version, and time was much more "plentiful" during my younger years, so relativity might be influencing my perspective here...

Also, was is up with the horrible captchas in this site?!?

grolt

IMG

Finished NEUTOPIA yesterday. It was an enjoyable game and a fun quest, if a bit derivative, short and simplistic compared to THE LEGEND OF ZELDA, GOLVELLIUS and GOLDEN AXE WARRIOR.  The graphics were beautiful though, and the music catchy.  I liked how different worlds were all rooted from the save hub, making backtracking, which is usually a major gripe in these kinds of games, a virtual non-factor.  Cute game though, and it begs repeating that Hudson really knows how to put the polish on their games when it comes to visuals and control.

My one gameplay gripe with this game: The boss on the 7th labyrinth.  The fact that there's no way to kill him once 1/3 of your hit points are gone (and your fire power becomes too weak to reach him) is incredibly frustrating.  That's bad game design to force a player to die with the majority of their life still left over.  The boss isn't THAT difficult, but it's still the principle of the matter - even with two vitality potions, you're only able to beat the boss with effectively 2/3rds of a life bar when every boss prior has allowed you two full bars.

No matter, though.  Had a lot of fun with this and now the next question is...how can I find Neutopia II at a reasonable price?

johnnykonami

Quote from: grolt on 09/19/2015, 01:40 PMIMG

Finished NEUTOPIA yesterday. It was an enjoyable game and a fun quest, if a bit derivative, short and simplistic compared to THE LEGEND OF ZELDA, GOLVELLIUS and GOLDEN AXE WARRIOR.  The graphics were beautiful though, and the music catchy.  I liked how different worlds were all rooted from the save hub, making backtracking, which is usually a major gripe in these kinds of games, a virtual non-factor.  Cute game though, and it begs repeating that Hudson really knows how to put the polish on their games when it comes to visuals and control.

My one gameplay gripe with this game: The boss on the 7th labyrinth.  The fact that there's no way to kill him once 1/3 of your hit points are gone (and your fire power becomes too weak to reach him) is incredibly frustrating.  That's bad game design to force a player to die with the majority of their life still left over.  The boss isn't THAT difficult, but it's still the principle of the matter - even with two vitality potions, you're only able to beat the boss with effectively 2/3rds of a life bar when every boss prior has allowed you two full bars.

No matter, though.  Had a lot of fun with this and now the next question is...how can I find Neutopia II at a reasonable price?
This was probably one of my most replayed games when I had it, and that ending screen brings back some memories.  I'd like to play through it again sometime right before I tackle Neutopia II which I haven't at all played to completion.  The last level (Sky, right?) I remember had some of my favorite music.  Good luck on picking up NII for a good price!

esteban

In our collective fantasy at pcefx, Old_Rover wins the lottery, thereby allowing him to finish Neutopia III and Lucretia.

:)

PukeSter

Played some Aoi Blink today. Nice little platformer! Certainly a unique game for the era.

It's very laid back, and the world map is like Mario World where you can revisit old levels. And the wonderboy influence is prevalent too.

Not a 10/10 game, but it still stands out as a star.

NecroPhile

Quote from: nopepper on 09/18/2015, 09:08 PMAlso, was is up with the horrible captchas in this site?!?
It only lasts for your first 10 (maybe 20) posts.

Quote from: grolt on 09/19/2015, 01:40 PMMy one gameplay gripe with this game: The boss on the 7th labyrinth.  The fact that there's no way to kill him once 1/3 of your hit points are gone (and your fire power becomes too weak to reach him) is incredibly frustrating.  That's bad game design to force a player to die with the majority of their life still left over.  The boss isn't THAT difficult, but it's still the principle of the matter - even with two vitality potions, you're only able to beat the boss with effectively 2/3rds of a life bar when every boss prior has allowed you two full bars.
Bad game design or bad tactics relying on fire instead of your sword.  :P
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

grolt

Quote from: guest on 09/21/2015, 01:29 PM
Quote from: grolt on 09/19/2015, 01:40 PMMy one gameplay gripe with this game: The boss on the 7th labyrinth.  The fact that there's no way to kill him once 1/3 of your hit points are gone (and your fire power becomes too weak to reach him) is incredibly frustrating.  That's bad game design to force a player to die with the majority of their life still left over.  The boss isn't THAT difficult, but it's still the principle of the matter - even with two vitality potions, you're only able to beat the boss with effectively 2/3rds of a life bar when every boss prior has allowed you two full bars.
Bad game design or bad tactics relying on fire instead of your sword.  :P
Hey, thanks for that.  Definitely bad tactics on my end.  I tried a few times to hit him when he was moving around, and there's little difference in the animation between when he's moving and still, so I just assumed he'd be immune to the sword while stationary as he was moving.  That fight looked A LOT easier than I made it out to be the 2 or 3 times I did it with both vitality vials and constant dodging.  I don't think I had the strongest sword at that point yet though, so it might have been more of a struggle.  Good to know there is a reasonable way to defeat him though.  Still doesn't excuse the non-diagonal movement.:)

Yesterday the lady and I fired up AIR ZONK looking for a quick fix and ended up finishing it pretty quickly.  That's sure a short ride, but a hell of a fun one.  Awesome parallax with huge sprites, although the slowdown, especially as things ramp up towards the end, can become really bad.  The final level is wild, just one boss after the other and then sometimes they come back (like the Stephen King book!), making for quite the final showdown.  The final final boss is kind of cheap and extremely difficult once you've died once and lose your powerups - I basically had to rely on kamikaze-ing him with my after burners every time I'd respawn to take him out.  Love the variety in all the powerups and buddies and stuff, although the game has way too many of those crappy little dude powerups that almost always are less desirable than the big boy powerups (especially considering the latter ones give you an extra hit and the small guy doesn't).  They built a solid framework for a new franchise with this - shame that the sequel sounds like a major step down...

We also started up VALIS II after we finished with ZONK - it's nice playing as a strong female character (that wears far too little body armor to protect herself!) and the cut scenes are nicely staged and effective.  The levels and gameplay are pretty simple, but it's all satisfying and controls well enough.  The boss battles are pretty laughable, you just kind of stand there and hack away and kill the boss before it even starts to really get into any patterns.  It won't win any awards for complexity or level design, but it's a fun time and the experience is heightened by the presentation - the cut scenes are quality but the standout is the music, so many awesome tunes in that one!  We made it to Level 5 in a quick playthrough, and to my surprise looking it up this morning that's one level from the end...between this and ZONK that's two decently expensive games that each take less than an hour to complete.  Ah well, at least the gameplay is fun.  Looking forward to exploring the rest of the VALIS series after II is done - I've got III already (disc only, so if anyone has a manual/back insert you'd be a hero) but am eager to get the imports of I and IV soon (again, if anyone has a copy to sell I'd be paying).  Oh sweet, sweet Yuko...

PukeSter

Valis is an oddball series. I don't like many of the games, though the better ones are Valis 1 PCE and Valis III Genny.

I haven't tried Valis IV yet, maybe thats alright.

Been playing some Tenchi Wo Kurau (Dynasty Wars) lately. It's a beatem'up by Capcom based on a Manga about ROTK. It's actually really good, and the stages are long, with detailed backgrounds and simple but fast gameplay. You ride a horse the whole time, and turn sides like in Sidearms with the two buttons, and you charge attacks regularly like in Twinbee.

It's also the only home port of the game :)

EmperorIng

Valis II is about as 5/10 as you can go - nice presentation but fairly unremarkable. The bosses are complete jokes (my favorite being the borderline retarded Haizen the Ruthless "twirl-till-you-drop" attack routine).

Valis IV, playing more of it, does some things right (by having level design, for one) but it has such awfully cheap enemy placement that it drives me nuts. So many enemies just exist to "gotcha!" right at a ledge, sending you to a quick death.

Valis III does this as well, and is annoying, but it is at least a shorter game, with shorter levels. This makes me lose a lot of my patience with Valis IV.

Valis I is a good game, though the bosses are still unbalanced for dealing with them with anything less than full power.

Damon Plus

Nightmare Creatures. It has some interesting ideas, and it's not easy to find an adventure game for the turbo, but it definitely has some quirkyness in its controls. It's not well polished in that area.

reno5

Playing Legendary Axe when i have few minutes to spare

Koop

Played some Bomberman last night, pretty much my favorite version of the game on PCE. I just recently got a whole bunch of games along with a composite modded PC Engine so I'm having a blast playing some great games.

johnnykonami

Gave Neo Nectaris a quick spin today.  Just played the first map, but I'm already digging all the little improvements (which are great because the original game is already so cool to begin with).  I love the little animation for the Munkusu/Charlies when they run up to ready for a skirmish.  All of the units look a little more refined all around.  The music is great and full of booming, powerful themes.  And to top it all off, I finally have my own copy of the original game built in as an extra.  Awesome.  I still need to beat that, though, I was 3/4s through the hard campaign when I stopped, so I'll make sure to do that before I get started on the Neo maps.

esteban

Quote from: johnnykonami on 09/24/2015, 12:00 AMGave Neo Nectaris a quick spin today.  Just played the first map, but I'm already digging all the little improvements (which are great because the original game is already so cool to begin with).  I love the little animation for the Munkusu/Charlies when they run up to ready for a skirmish.  All of the units look a little more refined all around.  The music is great and full of booming, powerful themes.  And to top it all off, I finally have my own copy of the original game built in as an extra.  Awesome.  I still need to beat that, though, I was 3/4s through the hard campaign when I stopped, so I'll make sure to do that before I get started on the Neo maps.
Definitely beat the original first.

There are some classic, crazy battles in the original.

I wish there had been a true sequel to Neo Nectaris...even if it was the exact same game but loaded with tons of new campaigns.

gheebee

I've been working on New Adventure Island off and on since I got it and finally made a bit of progress the other day by getting to level 5-3! The game is brutally hard for me but hopefully someday I'm able to beat it.

reno5

Quote from: gheebee on 09/24/2015, 11:07 AMI've been working on New Adventure Island off and on since I got it and finally made a bit of progress the other day by getting to level 5-3! The game is brutally hard for me but hopefully someday I'm able to beat it.
i popped it in yesterday and had a few minutes of fun with it. It's on my "need to find time for" list !

gheebee

Quote from: reno5 on 09/24/2015, 11:15 AMi popped it in yesterday and had a few minutes of fun with it. It's on my "need to find time for" list !
For me it is better if I play the game gradually by shutting it off after I get Game Over 3 or 4 times; when I first got it I was determined to beat it but it seemed like the longer I played in one sitting the less progress I would make. Of course a lot of that has to do with the fact that games tend to annoy me when I have to keep playing the same level over and over again so others may fare better with this. You really have to memorize some of the levels in this game!

johnnykonami

Quote from: esteban on 09/24/2015, 05:31 AM
Quote from: johnnykonami on 09/24/2015, 12:00 AMGave Neo Nectaris a quick spin today.  Just played the first map, but I'm already digging all the little improvements (which are great because the original game is already so cool to begin with).  I love the little animation for the Munkusu/Charlies when they run up to ready for a skirmish.  All of the units look a little more refined all around.  The music is great and full of booming, powerful themes.  And to top it all off, I finally have my own copy of the original game built in as an extra.  Awesome.  I still need to beat that, though, I was 3/4s through the hard campaign when I stopped, so I'll make sure to do that before I get started on the Neo maps.

I wish there had been a true sequel to Neo Nectaris...even if it was the exact same game but loaded with tons of new campaigns.
Oh, of course!  I am far too anal retentive to ever just skip ahead.  I just wanted to preview it a little.  I'm on Deshta in the original so I think I'm pretty close to the end.  I found your webpage not too long ago, so unless it's some other Esteban (we have six people with that name in my house right now, so probably), you seem to be the premier super fan for Nectaris.  I'll have to try out Earth Light one of these days on your recommendation.   

I was thinking about it, back in the day I really liked Vasteel, buying different mech units from factories and moving them around hexagon based maps.  Of course I still love it, but it's not really a strategy game as much as it is an action game.  I don't remember having to consider the strengths and weaknesses of the units all that much, just had to perform well in the battle sequences.  Stylistically, I have a lot of love for that game, the Jazz Fusion soundtrack, dozens of different little mechs, and the hex maps all appealed to me.  Maybe I'm forgetting something, but I didn't really play what I consider to be a real strategy game until Iron Storm on the Saturn, which I really enjoyed.  (I've since gone back and tried a few of the other Daisenryaku titles as well).  That game was for reals, yo.  Knee deep in unit specs and terrain considerations.  A few years later my buddy picked up Advance Wars on the GBA and introduced me to it, and then I went nuts playing AW1 and AW2.

I didn't own Military Madness as one of my original childhood TG-16 games, and considering how much I love the genre now, it's a shame I didn't realize it sooner because I could have playing one of the best ones years ago.  I would still like to get a CIC MM one of these days, but having Nectaris included on the NN disc takes off the sting a little until I can swing it.  I think I also wanna grab Nectaris GB one of these days (I've played it a little.)

Psycho Punch

Quote from: Damon Plus on 09/23/2015, 04:35 AMNightmare Creatures. It has some interesting ideas, and it's not easy to find an adventure game for the turbo, but it definitely has some quirkyness in its controls. It's not well polished in that area.
I'm pretty sure you mean Night Creatures, it's a common mistake haha. The cover art gives me a "I SAY HEY WHAT'S GOING ON" vibe.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

EmperorIng

Still occasionally booting up Fiend Hunter.

The fights are getting pretty mediocre, since the constant blocking of the enemies, coupled with your character's slow speed and limited moves, make for some exceedingly drawn out affairs.

johnnykonami

Quote from: gheebee on 09/24/2015, 12:17 PM
Quote from: reno5 on 09/24/2015, 11:15 AMi popped it in yesterday and had a few minutes of fun with it. It's on my "need to find time for" list !
For me it is better if I play the game gradually by shutting it off after I get Game Over 3 or 4 times; when I first got it I was determined to beat it but it seemed like the longer I played in one sitting the less progress I would make. Of course a lot of that has to do with the fact that games tend to annoy me when I have to keep playing the same level over and over again so others may fare better with this. You really have to memorize some of the levels in this game!
I had this one as a kid and I remember getting pretty good at it.  There's some tricky stages (I think some of the ice stages stand out in my memory) but you'll nail it eventually.  I'd love to pick this one up again one day, it's the last game I had before my TG-16 self destructed (and before I got a Duo to replace it).

esteban

Quote from: johnnykonami on 09/24/2015, 01:02 PM
Quote from: esteban on 09/24/2015, 05:31 AM

Oh, of course!  I am far too anal retentive to ever just skip ahead.  I just wanted to preview it a little.  I'm on Deshta in the original so I think I'm pretty close to the end.  I found your webpage not too long ago, so unless it's some other Esteban (we have six people with that name in my house right now, so probably), you seem to be the premier super fan for Nectaris.  I'll have to try out Earth Light one of these days on your recommendation.   

I was thinking about it, back in the day I really liked Vasteel, buying different mech units from factories and moving them around hexagon based maps.  Of course I still love it, but it's not really a strategy game as much as it is an action game.  I don't remember having to consider the strengths and weaknesses of the units all that much, just had to perform well in the battle sequences.  Stylistically, I have a lot of love for that game, the Jazz Fusion soundtrack, dozens of different little mechs, and the hex maps all appealed to me.  Maybe I'm forgetting something, but I didn't really play what I consider to be a real strategy game until Iron Storm on the Saturn, which I really enjoyed.  (I've since gone back and tried a few of the other Daisenryaku titles as well).  That game was for reals, yo.  Knee deep in unit specs and terrain considerations.  A few years later my buddy picked up Advance Wars on the GBA and introduced me to it, and then I went nuts playing AW1 and AW2.

I didn't own Military Madness as one of my original childhood TG-16 games, and considering how much I love the genre now, it's a shame I didn't realize it sooner because I could have playing one of the best ones years ago.  I would still like to get a CIC MM one of these days, but having Nectaris included on the NN disc takes off the sting a little until I can swing it.  I think I also wanna grab Nectaris GB one of these days (I've played it a little.)
Ha. I was gong to update the ancient Nectaris stuff years ago, but I never did get around to it. :)

I lost my game save in Earth Light (stupid battery!) and I need to replace it. Of course, I've been saying that for years. It was so cute, in just the right dose, I loved it. 

Nothing is stopping you from listening to Vasteel's chip tunes/Red Book when you play Nectaris :)

I WISH THE GAMEBOY VERSION used a hexagonal map! Otherwise, I thought it was totally fun. 

What else can I say? There are some things I removed from my website that still exist in the text version FAQ:

(1) Try setting wacky goals for every level (like, only go after the enemy base, dedicating all resources to this goal).... or try to have all your units be defensive (see if you can set traps, develop techniques for entries my defensive strategy).

(2) Boards with Hunters are usually exempt from self-imposed wacky rules, since they will obliterate you once they get full-star experience.

(3) you must use infantry for major offensive maneuvers, but they can be the "final wave" attacking each round, after you have unleashed major offensive from tanks, artillery.

Etc.

gheebee

Quote from: johnnykonami on 09/24/2015, 05:34 PMI had this one as a kid and I remember getting pretty good at it.  There's some tricky stages (I think some of the ice stages stand out in my memory) but you'll nail it eventually.  I'd love to pick this one up again one day, it's the last game I had before my TG-16 self destructed (and before I got a Duo to replace it).
Yeah, really am determined to beat this one. Those ice stages were the hardest for me for a while but I feel like I'm getting used to them now; hopefully I can say the same about all of the stages soon! Defintiely revisit this one if you get the chance.

gheebee

Was just playing New Adventure Island and saw a bit of a glitch. I broke an egg containing a skateboard and tried to jump over a bat and land on it, but I hit the bat, died, landed on the skateboard, and was back to life sans the skateboard and anything on the screen except for the level itself. The screen wouldn't scroll and all I could do was wait for the life bar to run out so I could die again and restart the level.

esteban

Quote from: gheebee on 09/25/2015, 05:41 PMWas just playing New Adventure Island and saw a bit of a glitch. I broke an egg containing a skateboard and tried to jump over a bat and land on it, but I hit the bat, died, landed on the skateboard, and was back to life sans the skateboard and anything on the screen except for the level itself. The screen wouldn't scroll and all I could do was wait for the life bar to run out so I could die again and restart the level.
That's awesome! I have never seen that.

I would love for someone to recreate that and record it!

gheebee

Quote from: esteban on 09/25/2015, 06:09 PMThat's awesome! I have never seen that.

I would love for someone to recreate that and record it!

I don't have any way to record it but it wasn't too hard to do. At the beginning of level 4-2 or 4-3 (whichever is the cave level) there is a part where you get an egg right before 3 bats fly at you, you can run under the first one and hit the egg, jump over the second, and then unsuccessfully jump over the third right as it is over the skateboard and it should happen. Starts to play the death animation when you hit the bat and then you hit the skateboard and are alive again. The only thing is that you can only do it if you get to the level with a weapon in your hand because it is the first egg and if you don't have a weapon then the egg will have an axe instead of a skateboard, so it is a one shot deal. Not sure if it matters but I was playing the Japanese release when I did this. Had a look to see if there was a youtube video after I did it but no dice.
Now that I think about it, this seems to make sense. The skateboard gives you an extra hit but you kind of bounce a little when it disappears and this can get you killed a lot of times, so it's nice that this balances it out even though it's a pretty obscure occurrence.

gheebee

Beat New Adventure Island with my friend today! All in all a great game and one I hope to beat again soon on my own, especially since I cleared all the levels except one.

Damon Plus

Quote from: guest on 09/24/2015, 01:02 PM
Quote from: Damon Plus on 09/23/2015, 04:35 AMNightmare Creatures. It has some interesting ideas, and it's not easy to find an adventure game for the turbo, but it definitely has some quirkyness in its controls. It's not well polished in that area.
I'm pretty sure you mean Night Creatures, it's a common mistake haha. The cover art gives me a "I SAY HEY WHAT'S GOING ON" vibe.
I think my mind played a trick on me, but hey,  the game is a nightmare to play at times

PukeSter

Played two of my favorites today, Ninja Gaiden (PCE) and Mr. Heli.

I beat Ninja Gaiden pretty quickly. Only used two continues and beat all 3 final bosses in a row. I still love how fluid and impressive the wall-jump movement is.

When playing Mr. Heli, I managed to 1CC the game! Also, I never bothered to try the second loop until today. Probably because I was on a roll. Got up to the mini-boss of Loop 2, stage 3. He destroyed me instantly a few times.

I still had a credit left but realized there was no point trying haha.

Psycho Punch

Played some Monster Lair for the nth time. I still love the tunes, the High Score one is still a favorite of mine among all pce redbook music.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

esteban

Quote from: guest on 09/30/2015, 09:55 PMPlayed some Monster Lair for the nth time. I still love the tunes, the High Score one is still a favorite of mine among all pce redbook music.
So many great tunes in that game :)

applejack8706

Right now I'm trying to beat Soldier Blade.  Splash Lake is one I've been playing a lot recently, too

esteban

Quote from: applejack8706 on 10/01/2015, 04:27 PMRight now I'm trying to beat Soldier Blade.  Splash Lake is one I've been playing a lot recently, too
Both excellent games.

Gredler

Last night I got into a serious thing with Download. Man, that game is blast I just wish I knew what they were saying in the cutscenes :P

So fast paced, but great fun and addictive to try and try again :P

EmperorIng

Download is indeed a fun game; just remember that chaser missiles trump everything in the game and even cancel bullets. It's the go to weapon for beating the game. Way better than that stupid rotating shield.  :-s

I'm playing the Japanese Adventure Island. Does anyone know if there is important story/puzzle text in the game? Skimming through a longplay it didn't seem like it, but I don't want to hit a Sphinx moment and screw up. I also really dig that you can save to memory... I wonder why more HuCards don't do this?

The only thing that bugs me is the recoloring of all the delightful Wonder Boy colors (green hair, dragons, etc.).

PukeSter

It can be a problem if you don't know what certain shop items are.

Personally, I didn't bother with the Japanese version.

IvanBeavkov

I'm playing Dragon's Curse. It has been so long since I played this game and it is just as much fun as I remember it. I also love when you are playing and the controls just click. I was farming a little bit to get some money and it was in a area with one of those annoying clouds. At first it a was taking 3 or 4 arrow shots to before I hit it, but then the timing just clicked. I was able to hit him with the first shot 10 times in a row. I love when that happens with a game, it is one of those moments when you feel in complete control.

EmperorIng, I think you will be fine, lukester is correct, the only thing you will be missing is the item names.

Elder

The last two Turbo games I played were Godzilla and The Dynastic Hero.  I had never played Godzilla before and while I really enjoyed the build-up to the actual fights, the fights themselves I find are mediocre.  I know a lot of people really loved this game back in the day, but I find it was too slow.  I'll keep Street Fighter II ;)

As for The Dynastic Hero, that's one I always enjoyed.  I find it a better version of Wonder Boy in Monster World.  I enjoy the cut-scenes, the more fleshed out storyline, and naturally that awesome CD-quality music :)