@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cho_aniki and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

Psycho Punch

Just finally beat M&M3. I wonder what game I'll try next.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

esteban

Quote from: seieienbu on 06/16/2016, 10:44 PMMy lovely girlfriend got me the nice birthday present of Monster Lair.  I beat the third level on my first play through.  I've been playing a little bit this evening on my Turbo CD when, sadly, the disk will no longer spin. 

This is the second CD ROM unit that I've lost; I lost the first one about 17 years ago in college playing games I burned on CD.  Oh well, I've got both of them and with the info on this site I'll set about attempting to repair them both I guess but it does make me a little bit sad.

In the meantime, I guess I'll play it on my Duo at my place.
Damn!

Monster Lair is spectacular.

The challenge ramps up, especially if you are like me:
Kill all enemies
Collect all fruit (jumbo fruit has to POP with baby fruit)
Collect ALL POWERUPS, constantly. Don't skip any. It keeps you from getting bored :)
I don't usually use turbo, but just remember that these weapons can become more effective when you turn down/off turbo (especially for missiles and shield). Turbo for a boss when you have pea shooter is forgivable :) just get in close. :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

jtucci31

Gypsy

Looking forward to some games arriving tomorrow. For now though, I'm revisiting Cotton FND.

Quote from: guest on 06/19/2016, 01:03 PM
Quote from: guest on 06/18/2016, 02:46 PM
http://www.thebrothersduomazov.com/2011/10/measure-of-turbo-badass.html?m=1

You've got potential :) well done!
Bahaha. This page amused me.

Psycho Punch

This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

jtucci31

Quote from: guest on 06/20/2016, 12:14 AM
Quote from: guest on 06/19/2016, 01:03 PM
Quote from: guest on 06/18/2016, 02:46 PM
http://www.thebrothersduomazov.com/2011/10/measure-of-turbo-badass.html?m=1

You've got potential :) well done!
My dream is to achieve the lee pappas badassery rating.
Hey me too. I'll give you Xanadu tips if you give my MM3 tips :wink:

SavagePencil

I finally figured out how to rip my Ys IV, apply the patches, and successfully burn a copy.  I'm really happy I get to experience the English version now!

Gypsy

Blazing Lazers. Pretty easy, but definitely very fun.

PukeSter

Did a quick play through of Makai Prince, and one round of final soldier caravan

exodus

seieienbu

I picked up Shubibinman 3 over the weekend and played it through for the first time today.  It was crazy and fun with lots of varied backgrounds and gameplay ideas.  However, it seemed a bit on the easy side with how your life meter is huge and enemies keep dropping healing items that looked a bit like cans of soda or something.

I've wanted to play it since finally getting and beating Shockman last year at some point.  I'll probably get ahold of the first one at some point since I've played and enjoyed the other two.  Though I've heard it's the weakest entry in the series I'm still curious to see how it stacks up.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

esteban

Quote from: seieienbu on 06/21/2016, 02:38 AMI picked up Shubibinman 3 over the weekend and played it through for the first time today.  It was crazy and fun with lots of varied backgrounds and gameplay ideas.  However, it seemed a bit on the easy side with how your life meter is huge and enemies keep dropping healing items that looked a bit like cans of soda or something.

I've wanted to play it since finally getting and beating Shockman last year at some point.  I'll probably get ahold of the first one at some point since I've played and enjoyed the other two.  Though I've heard it's the weakest entry in the series I'm still curious to see how it stacks up.
Shubibinman 3 is WAY TOO EASY. The default difficulty should have been higher (they could have provided an "easy" mode in options).

:)

Gypsy

I once started Shubibinman 3, fell asleep and then when I woke up the game had beat itself. IMG

jtucci31

Been playing Bomberman 93 to get that beat for the thread. I'm on the final set of levels but man does it get tough. 1cc'ing any Bomberman game seems like a pretty big challenge, so continuing a bunch for me is just fine.

Sarumaru

Quote from: Gypsy on 06/21/2016, 10:41 AMI once started Shubibinman 3, fell asleep and then when I woke up the game had beat itself. IMG
I lol'd. This game is terribly short, but still great fun.

Currently playing Star Parodier. Fun chewty-times.

Gypsy

Yeah it's definitely a fun game. I had a fair bit of fun with that entire series.

I'll be able to pick up Soldier Blade tomorrow.  :dance: For now though, I'll be playing some Keith Courage this evening.

EmperorIng

Quote from: esteban on 06/21/2016, 05:58 AMShubibinman 3 is WAY TOO EASY. The default difficulty should have been higher (they could have provided an "easy" mode in options).
I think it goes beyond that. I honestly wonder if they coded the game much beyond the enemies' basic movement patterns. It feels like you are running the game in debug mode: you can kill bosses while they have their long monologues*, and it feels as if most enemies only ever walk towards you without doing anything else.

Shubibinman 2 is a crappy game, but it feels as if it had some effort put into more than just the sprites.

*while at first I thought this was a funny and intentional comedy moment for midbosses like the train conductor, when you could do it to the final boss and have him die not 2 seconds into the actual battle music, it became clear to me that it was a glitch or unfinished aspect of the game they never bothered to tune up.

esteban

Quote from: EmperorIng on 06/22/2016, 02:12 AM
Quote from: esteban on 06/21/2016, 05:58 AMShubibinman 3 is WAY TOO EASY. The default difficulty should have been higher (they could have provided an "easy" mode in options).
I think it goes beyond that. I honestly wonder if they coded the game much beyond the enemies' basic movement patterns. It feels like you are running the game in debug mode: you can kill bosses while they have their long monologues*, and it feels as if most enemies only ever walk towards you without doing anything else.

Shubibinman 2 is a crappy game, but it feels as if it had some effort put into more than just the sprites.

*while at first I thought this was a funny and intentional comedy moment for midbosses like the train conductor, when you could do it to the final boss and have him die not 2 seconds into the actual battle music, it became clear to me that it was a glitch or unfinished aspect of the game they never bothered to tune up.
Ha!

I didn't even try doing much with this game because it presents very little reason to replay/explore. Every few years I play through it. When I first played it, I saw Shubibinman 3 as completely wasted potential. Over the years, I've had to move on and concoct silly theories about its legacy....

I love the aesthetics of Shubibinman 3, but it seems as if the goal was to merely expose the player to a series of set-pieces...and that's it. No game necessary.  Simply experience the set pieces and you will be fulfilled (somehow). I didn't shoot the bosses during the dialogue, though.

In the past, I have argued (only half-jokingly), that Shubibinman 3 was the primordial ooze/inspiration for Gunstar Heroes (but with at least some effort to provide a better game in the latter). Gunstar Heroes presents a series of set-pieces, and thus also suffers from the "this is so kool" (first time playing) to "OMG, how contrived and belabored! Let me play!" (Subsequent play-throughs). I was reminded about my silly, unfounded theories about Shubibinman 3's legacy when I was re-playing that old PlayStation Contra game recently (where you spend a lot of time waiting/watching vehicles...LIKE TRAINS IN TUNNELS...transform into weapons). But I'm rambling...

BACK ON TOPIC: I concur with your main point (Shubibinman 3 was unfinished). Could it simply have been a matter of time and budget? Shubibinman 3 could have easily been tweaked to actually become a proper game... The more I learn about developers and the industry, the less I am surprised that games shipped as-is.

TRUTH: I will happily take Shubibinman 3 over lame garbage like Bravoman.

wiseau

Well i've gotten to a point where i can beat the first two stages of Aero blasters on a single life, but this ship is so damn slow it's almost impossible to dodge anything, even when you know it's coming up.

nopepper

Speaking of easy games, I finally gave my shiny CD-R copy of Sylphia a try a couple of days ago and managed to 1CC it on my first run. Beautiful game, loved the colors used in some stages, the haunted techno soundtrack and the overall vibe. Having said that, I found it mediocre, with some bosses taking way too long to beat, so you easily figure out their patterns and just repeat the same moves over and over and defeat them 5 minutes later. Game feels like it needed proper balancing and that it went out the door incomplete.

Now I'm trying Image Fight 2...talk about a night and day difference!

esteban

Quote from: nopepper on 06/24/2016, 10:54 AMBeautiful game, loved the colors used in some stages, the haunted techno soundtrack and the overall vibe.
Yes, the soundtrack to Sylphia is quite nice :)

I concur, it could have been a much stronger, memorable challenge.

Still, it was enjoyable. :)

Gredler

I started my first attempt at Ys 1 & 2 on Friday night. I was having some beers and wanted to just check out the presentation and gameplay, but we had other music on and I wasn't giving the game my full attention.

The animations were rad, the control was crisp and I really got somewhat addicted to just running around killing stuff then pause to heal, and I did that until I had all of the level 2 gear and adol was leveled to 8. I got a bit confused once I got to the thieves den and shrine, not able to progress so I saved and shut down.

This morning was a bit quieter and I had about an hour to spare and relax. I cranked that stereo up and let those sweet tunes blast l, and hell yeah that music makes a huge difference! I decided to restart and pay attention to the story and got a much better feel for the setting and what to do in the game, so I loaded my leveled up character save and hit the shrine hard.

I'm not sure how to describe my time in the shrine other than it just made so much sense why this game is such a cornerstone for the platform, genre, and media.

I had a blast right until the minute my fiance was ready for Sunday plans, but man I certainly regret not experiencing this earlier, and can't wait to get back to it tonight.

Edit:
I got home and jumped right back in and ran through the rest of book 1. I stumbled a few times; first I didn't have the silver sword when I got to the mine boss, took me a good while to find that. I then got smacked down by the same mantis boss mentioned before but after re-aquiring the silver shield and gaining a couple levels he was a pushover. I don't think it's avoidable but it felt like it could have been avoided when I had to go get the blue amulet from level 11 and then go back up to level 21; I do think that was the worst part of that first "book".

My CD-R skipped and fucked up during the cutscene, and it made me wish I didn't have a burned copy hahaha - I just re-wached the scene on YouTube and then took a break. I'm looking forward to starting this second game - I am level 33, wondering  if I am too low of level, the mobs rock me now hahah

NightWolve

Quote from: Gredler on 06/26/2016, 01:57 PMMy CD-R skipped and fucked up during the cutscene, and it made me wish I didn't have a burned copy hahaha - I just re-wached the scene on YouTube and then took a break. I'm looking forward to starting this second game - I am level 33, wondering  if I am too low of level, the mobs rock me now hahah
By skip, do you just mean the accompanying audio stopped playing while the video continued ? If so, cleaning and relubrication with white lithium grease of the pole that the CD lens glides on can fix those issues.

Gredler

Quote from: NightWolve on 06/29/2016, 11:43 PMBy skip, do you just mean the accompanying audio stopped playing while the video continued ? If so, cleaning and relubrication with white lithium grease of the pole that the CD lens glides on can fix those issues.
Yes, the audio dropped out and then restarted in the middle of the cutscene borking up the whole presentation!

My duo-r needs to love, the power supply port is finicky as well, so I guess it's time to start researching repairs.

Thanks for the tip sir, I'll start looking into it now!

I'm fiending to go back and play books 2, but I'm too busy with other things until next week :( Ys calling my name!

NightWolve

Quote from: Gredler on 06/30/2016, 02:24 PM
Quote from: NightWolve on 06/29/2016, 11:43 PMBy skip, do you just mean the accompanying audio stopped playing while the video continued ? If so, cleaning and relubrication with white lithium grease of the pole that the CD lens glides on can fix those issues.
Yes, the audio dropped out and then restarted in the middle of the cutscene borking up the whole presentation!
Ah, hm, normally for the condition where the 20+ year old dried up grease trips up redbook audio playing given the loss of agility, it's not able to resume playing until you trigger another event to start the next audio track (like start another stage, leave a town, etc.). This happens equally for both real pressed CDs and CD-Rs. Anyhow, I'm not sure if cleaning/relubing will solve it for you, but if it's never been done for your system by now, you should do it. It might be time for full capacitor replacement though and worst case, some retuning of the CD pots.

Gypsy

Fired up the CDROM2 today. Blasted through Shubibinman 3 to make myself feel good, then to make myself feel really bad I put in Nexzr. Stopped playing after some Cho Aniki which I hadn't played in a fair bit. Instantly remembered how fun that one is.

Groover

I recently picked up Lords of Thunder. I have been playing this. I have played my friends copy and remeber it well back in the day being marketted as the power house showing the strenght of the TurboDuo.  I had the TurboForce magazine but it got destroyed in my trunk in College. I picked up another copy and will be more carful with it. I was happy that I beat the first level first playthrough. I am not good at this genre but I am really enjoying them and hope to get better with practice.
IMG

Gypsy

Lords isn't too difficult you should be able to beat it with modest skills.

I was jamming some Spriggan early this morning. I really like the way the power-up system works.

nopepper

Ok, I really need to become a better person to be able to play Image Fight II, so I moved on to The Lost Sunheart, a game I briefly tried about a year ago before dismissing as too weird and ugly.

Well, it's still weird, but this is actually a great game. It has a satisfying difficulty curve, lots of intense moments and a very peculiar rhythm, with waves of enemies coming at you in oscillating patterns that seem to move in sync with the music. And although the graphics are definitely not pretty, they have character and present a very realized world.

The whole game comes across as a confident realization of some designer's drug induced vision that somehow managed to make it into a fun video game. It's games like these that make me love the PC Engine!

(PS- Managed to 1 CC it this past weekend, but I did use the 1Up trick against the floating head to max out to 9 lives).

(PSX - Has anybody translated the story in the adventure mode? WTF is going on?!?)

esteban

Quote from: nopepper on 07/07/2016, 10:31 AMOk, I really need to become a better person to be able to play Image Fight II, so I moved on to The Lost Sunheart, a game I briefly tried about a year ago before dismissing as too weird and ugly.

Well, it's still weird, but this is actually a great game. It has a satisfying difficulty curve, lots of intense moments and a very peculiar rhythm, with waves of enemies coming at you in oscillating patterns that seem to move in sync with the music. And although the graphics are definitely not pretty, they have character and present a very realized world.

The whole game comes across as a confident realization of some designer's drug induced vision that somehow managed to make it into a fun video game. It's games like these that make me love the PC Engine!

(PS- Managed to 1 CC it this past weekend, but I did use the 1Up trick against the floating head to max out to 9 lives).

(PSX - Has anybody translated the story in the adventure mode? WTF is going on?!?)
All I can say is...

IMG

nopepper

Quote from: esteban on 06/24/2016, 04:23 PMYes, the soundtrack to Sylphia is quite nice :)

I concur, it could have been a much stronger, memorable challenge.

Still, it was enjoyable. :)
Sure, it was enjoyable, but not a game I'd rush out to buy, even at its original retail price and taking out its current going rate from the equation.

Being an easy game doesn't necessarily make it mediocre (I LOVE Thunder Force 3, for example), it's more that some of the patterns were not elegantly implemented, making it come across as sloppy. The battle of attrition boss battles being the worst offenders of this sloppiness. It really is too bad, since the atmosphere is fantastic, with those cool stage intros and the aforementioned music.

nopepper

Quote from: esteban on 07/07/2016, 10:43 AMAll I can say is...
That's awesome.

Here's my random Lost Sunheart pic:

IMG

Gypsy

Well, no CD games for me for awhile as I sent my system to Keith. Still got these hus to tide me over though. I think I'm feeling some Bonk 3 tonight.

TurboXray

TurboXray

My son has played through the PC remakes of Ys I & II (way too many times), and the DS version (cringe), and now.... he's playing through the TGCD version. Kinda nice to sit back and watch the playthrough.

GoldenWheels

I broke out Operation Wolf again, which is pretty fun for a game that really needs a gun to be at it's best. It's certainly better than the NES version.

NightWolve

Quote from: TurboXray on 07/07/2016, 12:05 PMMy son has played through the PC remakes of Ys I & II (way too many times), and the DS version (cringe), and now.... he's playing through the TGCD version. Kinda nice to sit back and watch the playthrough.

I remember first falling in love with them as well - Stephen Harris before joining the crew of RPGFAN.com, lemme download his Limited Edition copy from the FTP he ran. Sounds like your son's played them more times than I have though. ;)

esteban

PukeSter

Quote from: NightWolve on 05/19/2016, 07:16 PM
Quote from: PukeSter on 05/18/2016, 09:34 PMAnybody know anything about Ys V? It seems pretty cool but only the "Easy" version is translated.
Eh, I'm not impressed with it, but it is another great technical accomplishment for Gideon Zhi to have finished hacking it after being stuck on it for so many years! I'm not keen on ever playing it though given the XSEED criminal who served as the translator (NeoGeo's one-and-only cock-flasher), so that's a bit of a sticking point for me.

As for "Easy" version, you're referring to the fact that there's another copy of the game with the "Expert" subtitle that changed the difficulty and the patch wasn't advanced to also apply to it. I guess it's not much of a priority to Gideon having finally gotten the patch out at least for the main one.

An aside, I actually gave up in the middle of "Ys IV: Mask of the Sun" [SNES] - I got a bit stuck, quit for a while, but when I returned again to figure it out, I realized how bored I had gotten with it and just didn't care anymore to beat it for the sake of beating it... It's weird, I loved my SNES growing up, but the 2 Ys titles for it don't have any special hold/appreciation on me like the PC Engine/TG-16 and the Windows PC titles. "Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys" is the superior version in every way even if Falcom marked "Mask of the Sun" as canon (which only a few Ys geeks know and care about in evaluating between the two).
Not quite Turbo related, but I did just beat Ys V.

Pretty decent game though the bosses were disappointing. The soundtrack was too orchestral for my taste. It took me about 6 hours or so, and I didn't die too much. It's a shame that the in-depth magic/alchemy system was pretty much worthless. The only retro Ys I need to play still is Ys IV.

crazydean

Quote from: TurboXray on 07/07/2016, 12:05 PMMy son has played through the PC remakes of Ys I & II (way too many times), and the DS version (cringe), and now.... he's playing through the TGCD version. Kinda nice to sit back and watch the playthrough.
This game was a big reason I bought the PCE. It was also the first game I beat on the system.

On another note, I finally got around to beating Neutopia. I started drinking and beat the last 3 dungeons in one sitting. Unfortunately, I was quite drunk by the time I got to the boss in the 8th dungeon and couldn't beat him. Anyway, a couple days later I went back and beat the final two bosses, easy.

Thinking about starting Dragon's Curse next. Either that or Ys IV.

NightWolve

Quote from: guest on 07/19/2016, 11:05 AMNot quite Turbo related, but I did just beat Ys V.

Pretty decent game though the bosses were disappointing. The soundtrack was too orchestral for my taste. It took me about 6 hours or so, and I didn't die too much. It's a shame that the in-depth magic/alchemy system was pretty much worthless. The only retro Ys I need to play still is Ys IV.
Oh, you skipped past Ys IV for it, no beuno! Well, like I mentioned, I don't respect the SNES Ys IV port and got bored out of it. And now our PC Engine project led to full translation with dubbing, so I'm sure you'll pick the "right one" for your next retro Ys game to tackle, hint hint... ;)

geise

I haven't beaten Dragon Slayer since I purchased it in 93. I was wanting a nice rpg to sit down, relax, and play through one night.  It's nice playing this game again.  I usually find myself playing hours of othello.

bob

i recently got to the shrine in dungeon explorer 2.  gotta get back to it tonight.
lots of black jack playing is making the game much longer.

wildfruit

Quote from: gynt on 07/24/2016, 03:42 PMi recently got to the shrine in dungeon explorer 2.  gotta get back to it tonight.
lots of black jack playing is making the game much longer.
Such an enjoyable mini game

martinine

I finished Ys IV recently as well. Nightwolve's work is fantastic! Thanks a lot NW.

If you haven't enjoyed it, then you owe it to yourself.

On another note, I also finished the PC remake (or PSP Port?) or Ys 1 & 2. What's up with the way the screen is so zoomed in? I know the engine can handle zooming it to what feels correct (to me) because it zooms out of every boss fight. Prefer the Turbo CD edition every time.  Really cool you are watching your son go through the Turbo classics.
Keith Courage is #1. Alpha Zone inhabitant for life. Thanks to this forum for rejuvenating and continuing my interest in all things Obey.

Idblbruno

Quote from: crazydean on 07/19/2016, 03:06 PM
This game was a big reason I bought the PCE. It was also the first game I beat on the system.

On another note, I finally got around to beating Neutopia. I started drinking and beat the last 3 dungeons in one sitting. Unfortunately, I was quite drunk by the time I got to the boss in the 8th dungeon and couldn't beat him. Anyway, a couple days later I went back and beat the final two bosses, easy.

Thinking about starting Dragon's Curse next. Either that or Ys IV.
I just recently started neutopia.  Beat the first 2 dungeons but haven't had much time to get back into it yet.  I've also been playing some boxy boy.  Love me some puzzles.

esteban

^ In addition to Boxyboy, you might try Timeball (Blodia). It's a puzzle game that many people trash, but it is actually a great game.

Gredler

This weekend was a friggin blast in the pce game playing department.

It was hellishly hot, and I don't have AC, so I spent most of my day in the pool then going to the basement for game playing, and repeating.

On Friday night I saw this for the first time,
IMG

I was so stoked to have finished the game, I didn't want the action RPG action to stop so I jumped into Dungeon Explorer - another game I would've loved to have known about and had instead of say... Tailspin ( thanks Mom)

I played as the fighter, and killed the first few bosses - I stopped to take a break and didn't go back after beating the flower boss. What a blast the game was though, and I am excited to go back and finish it up :)

GoldenWheels

Playing Road Spirits right now....it's like the definition of mediocre in every sense. Yet I can't stop playing.

Track 5 kicks ass on the "CD player" in your virtual car, that helps a lot.

esteban

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 07/26/2016, 11:18 AMPlaying Road Spirits right now....it's like the definition of mediocre in every sense. Yet I can't stop playing.

Track 5 kicks ass on the "CD player" in your virtual car, that helps a lot.
I want to listen to the songs now, just to see which track you are referring to!