What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

I played Keith Courage for the first time ever today!  It's not so bad, guys... Really.  I got it from The Old Rover, along with Blazing Lazers, Parasol Stars, and Air Zonk.  Granted they just came today, but I've spent more time playing Keith Courage than the rest of them combined. :D

P.S.: I just have a Duo, so I never experienced KC as a pack-in, which is why this is the first time I've played it.

nat

Keith Courage isn't a bad game. It's just kind of a crappy game for them to have picked for a pack-in.

Mobius

True, I can't see the game lasting long.  I've gotten though about half of it without really even trying, and I'm not sure how many times I'll want to play it.  But still, I've seen lots of people trash on the game, so I wanted to give it some praise!

nat

Quote from: Mobius on 03/17/2008, 07:47 PMTrue, I can't see the game lasting long.  I've gotten though about half of it without really even trying, and I'm not sure how many times I'll want to play it.  But still, I've seen lots of people trash on the game, so I wanted to give it some praise!
I think it's generally regarded that it's actually an OK game. But you're right, the replay value is zilch. And there is nothing mascot-ish about Keith Courage. And the name "Keith Courage in Alpha Zones" really, really blows. And they made 2.3 billion copies whereas other, better games were limited to runs of a mere 3,000 units.

I think these are the things that generate the bad buzz around Keith Courage. As a game, by itself, there's nothing wrong with it. And it actually makes really good use of the system's color capabilities.

Turbo D

I too think that Keith Courage is a pretty decent game. I got pretty into it in that past and beat it.
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

nat

I think Keith Courage was the first TurboGrafx game I ever beat. That was probably in like 1991 or something. It was either that or Pac-Land, I can't remember anymore.

Mobius

Okay, I've moved on to Blazing Lazers now.  Is this game generally considered easy, or am I just strangely good at it?  I'm generally pretty mediocre at shooters, but I blazed through (pun intended) to the fifth area without any trouble before my short attention span kicked in.  For reference, Gate of Thunder and Lords of Thunder give me a good run for my money.

Beautiful game, though, and I'm certainly enjoying it.  I'm just kinda surprised that a shooter isn't immediately kicking my ass.

nat

Stage 5 is where it starts upping the difficulty. Everything before that is cake. It gets tougher.

Turbo D

Its an easy game until the last couple levels where it gets insanely difficult!
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

spenoza

I like shooters like Blazing Lazers, which let you make it a few levels in before wiping the floor with you, much more than the newer shooters which wipe the floor with you from stage 1.

natethegreat82

I played a bit of Ys I&II today for the first time in a while. I hope to finish it soon.

OldRover

Keith Courage rocks hardcore, and I will absolutely never sell my copy which has the comic book with it. Replay value? Tons for me...I replay the hell out of it...every once in awhile I feel like playing it through again, despite knowing it like the back of my hand. I can even sometimes beat the Titan without taking a single hit...how many people can do that? I should youtube it someday...someone send me a video camera! :D I still await the next Keith Courage adventure... (GRANZORT IS NOT THE SEQUEL!!!!!!)

Blazing Lazers does seem pretty easy at first. I played it seriously for the first time a few weeks ago...got up to some bubble level and that's as far as I got but up to that, it was a total cakewalk. The weapons system is so varied, and almost every weapon you get is super-powerful.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

esteban

Folks, play Blazing Lazers in "God of Game" mode. It will kick your ass. It is awesome.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Sparky

esteban i am going to try that, i like my ass handed to me :D

Also i keep going back to Bomberman'93 as im on planet Surf E-6, im get'n there.
quickie question related here...im saving as i go with the booster plus, how long will the booster go holding your data without power it up?

Radiantsvgun

I just finished Neutopia.  I'm probably going to play Cotton next.

MurderDate

ahhh all of these games  are EXCELLENT.

I got up to the last boss on B'93 but never made it past him.  Tough !   Actually right now I'm stuck on that last race on Final Lap Twin..   I swear,  nearly impossible!   THAT would make a good youtube vid !
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse

Sinistron

Played a little Dragon Slayer and Hani on the Road last night.
IMG
Quote from: Tatsujin- ATM it's just amateurish boytoy shizzle.
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

kid_rondeau

Quote from: MurderDate on 03/18/2008, 09:18 AMahhh all of these games  are EXCELLENT.

I got up to the last boss on B'93 but never made it past him.  Tough !   Actually right now I'm stuck on that last race on Final Lap Twin..   I swear,  nearly impossible!   THAT would make a good youtube vid !
MurderDate,
When you say "that last race", do you mean:

-In the F3000 mode?
-in the F1 mode?
-In quest mode?

Because, I admit, in quest mode, beating that pretty boy Alan Pross is damn near impossible...one little slip up anywhere in the race and you can kiss the trophy goodbye! I've done it, though...and you can too! Just make sure you got all the enhancements, including the one where your car is super light.

Sinistron

ha I love pwning that last dude in the quest mode.  awesome.
IMG
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

nat

I'm on the last race too, and I almost beat him last time I played. I slipped up right at the end and went off track on a corner for like a split second, but that was all it took. I spent the whole race in front of that douche, too.

I haven't tried again because it takes me 30 minutes just to enter the 164-digit password, and lots of times I only have 30 minutes to play.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 03/17/2008, 11:40 PMesteban i am going to try that, i like my ass handed to me :D

Also i keep going back to Bomberman'93 as im on planet Surf E-6, im get'n there.
quickie question related here...im saving as i go with the booster plus, how long will the booster go holding your data without power it up?
For a long time us non-techies thought it was a battery-back up in the TG-CD (and BackupBooster), but I think someone informed us that it is simply a capacitor (that retain an electrical charge) and that the ones used can last about, hmmmm, 2-3 weeks?

Other folks, please correct me.

T2KFreeker

I am currently all over Neutopia 2 again. Been a long while since I have played that one. Game is still awesome today. Just need to track down the first one now . . .
END OF LINE.

MurderDate

Quote from: kid_rondeau on 03/18/2008, 03:42 PMBecause, I admit, in quest mode, beating that pretty boy Alan Pross is damn near impossible...one little slip up anywhere in the race and you can kiss the trophy goodbye! I've done it, though...and you can too! Just make sure you got all the enhancements, including the one where your car is super light.
oh yeah I am talking about Alan Pross of course.    I think I have the second best motor but the best in everything else (maxed out to 99).  I am a firm believer in not having a higher motor score than your tires because it's too hard to control.  I'm scared to go even and be screwed -  that said I'm not beating AP anytime soon so maybe I should just find the Mega Motor.  It wasn't in Mike's warehouse, was it?

Anyway I love this game.  I knew it was cool but didn't expect it to be so much fun.  After you learn how to race it can feel exhilarating - don't let the drab color pallet on the racing screen fool you.

and nat I keep my passwords written in this little tablet of graph paper I have.   Waiters use them I guess.  I started using it on OotG. It's perfect.

nat

IMG

That's right bitch, betta' recognize.

Sinistron

nice pic nat

yeah you need that motor joel
IMG

kid_rondeau

I recognize that Nat has gone with JVC for his television! Seriously...I was in love with JVC back when VCR's were still popular, and their TV's are good, but every other product of theirs I've tried has been a disappointment.

I think I have the exact same TV in Nat's picture, though.

nat

As some of you may have noticed I talk up that TV every fucking chance I get. It has one of the best pictures, even in composite, for vintage gaming I've ever seen. Maybe even the best but that's a hard claim to make.

Like you, I'm not a big fan of JVC's other products. But that TV is teh pwn. The first time I saw a classic console being played on it I was floored. First chance I got it was installed in my gaming room as my primary gaming TV.

People are always talking about their Sonys, etc. You go ahead and take that Sony; I'll stick with my JVC thank you very much.

Here's a page with specs on that TV, or at least one that is extremely similar (I don't remember what model # my set is, and it's 150 lbs too heavy for me to pull out and look) with the same dimensions and features:

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:JVC%20AV-32F577%20Television:1993985197:page=details

I should mention I have another JVC, in my bedroom, it's a 27" and it's from 1991. The quality is nowhere near the quality of this thing. But then again the 27" is getting a little long in the tooth these days.

guyjin

I'm in the market for a new tube, and that one seems to be in my price range. I'll have to see if I can obtain one locally. (the idea of paying for shipping on a fragile 150 pound item horrifies me.)

esteban

spenoza

I have a JVC 27" tube TV I bought a few years ago and it's been well-behaved. I rather like it. I even play a little PCE on it periodically. Parasol Stars has been my fix as of late. Once I'm done with that I'll probably go back to trying to beat Bomberman 94. It's not so much that the game is hard as it is I have a limited attention span.

Sinistron

har har nat I just realized I can see that "8-Mile" poster reflected in your tube  :lol:
IMG

guyjin

Quote from: Sinistron on 03/19/2008, 10:07 PMhar har nat I just realized I can see that "8-Mile" poster reflected in your tube  :lol:
:shock: ... wow. And to think I almost took television buying advice from a total idiot.  :evil:

sinfreealex

Final Soldier for the most part. Other than that, I've been getting better at Bonk's Revenge.

nat

Quote from: guyjin on 03/19/2008, 10:17 PM
Quote from: Sinistron on 03/19/2008, 10:07 PMhar har nat I just realized I can see that "8-Mile" poster reflected in your tube  :lol:
:shock: ... wow. And to think I almost took television buying advice from a total idiot.  :evil:
Excuse me? That's my wife's poster.

guyjin

I was kidding.

Kinda.

I suggest divorce.

NecroPhile

Quote from: guyjin on 03/19/2008, 08:49 PMI'm in the market for a new tube, and that one seems to be in my price range. I'll have to see if I can obtain one locally. (the idea of paying for shipping on a fragile 150 pound item horrifies me.)
Good luck finding one locally.  Since they haven't made these (or any quality CRTs) for quite a while, you'll be hard pressed to find one sitting in the store.  You'll probably have to find one used, settle for a lower quality set, or pay the big bucks to a online retailer for some new old stock.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

nat

Yeah I got my set a few years back. Two? Three, maybe? They may have even been phasing them out at that point, who knows? But it's a damn great TV if you can find it. I've logged quite a few hours on it in the past few years and I'll be damned if the image doesn't still look just as good as it did when it was new.

MurderDate

I love my Sony Trinitron even though it's huge and weighs 100 pounds.

can anyone set me up right on Motoroader?  Speaking of games you are currently playing..  I remember guys on here talking about the best way to spend your money in the beginning.. to make the game playable.

kid_rondeau

Quote from: MurderDate on 03/20/2008, 11:27 AMcan anyone set me up right on Motoroader?  Speaking of games you are currently playing..  I remember guys on here talking about the best way to spend your money in the beginning.. to make the game playable. 
Well, if you don't want to cheat and use the "RICH" code...
I always start by buying "Handle B+2" and a Gas Tank. At this point in the game you should be evenly matched with the other cars. You should do well enough to come in first or second, and then I buy "Body+4", and maybe some better (but not the best just yet) tires.
After winning another big prize, you can go ahead and buy "Engine+4" (you may be tempted to buy the engine before the body, but if you do you'll guzzle gas like there's no tomorrow).

More later!

guyjin

Maybe I can finally make use of all those TV Game setups people keep giving me - I'll take one to the store and test how old games look on all the TVs.  :)

nat

Quote from: kid_rondeau on 03/20/2008, 11:41 AM
Quote from: MurderDate on 03/20/2008, 11:27 AMcan anyone set me up right on Motoroader?  Speaking of games you are currently playing..  I remember guys on here talking about the best way to spend your money in the beginning.. to make the game playable. 
Well, if you don't want to cheat and use the "RICH" code...
I always start by buying "Handle B+2" and a Gas Tank. At this point in the game you should be evenly matched with the other cars. You should do well enough to come in first or second, and then I buy "Body+4", and maybe some better (but not the best just yet) tires.
After winning another big prize, you can go ahead and buy "Engine+4" (you may be tempted to buy the engine before the body, but if you do you'll guzzle gas like there's no tomorrow).

More later!
Good advice, but I find this works well for me:

Before you start the first race, buy the most expensive "Handle." With what money you have left buy the most expensive body you can afford. I find you don't need the gas tank until you buy a bigger engine. Race.

With those mods you should win the first round no problem and get like $10,000+.

With that money, for the next round buy the most expensive engine you can afford and a gas tank. Again, you should have no trouble winning.

From there it should be smooth sailing, upgrade when you can as you win.

kid_rondeau

Thanks Nat!

Just to finish up what I was saying earlier (I'm at work and my boss wanted to give me my review...Good new$!!):

After buying the best engine, buy "H.G. Tire+2"
Next race, buy "Dual A.V.D" brakes.

By heat 6, you will be able to afford Turbo for $10,000 (but it takes you FOREVER to accelerate), OR,
you can wait until heat 7, where you'll have more than enough to afford the $22,000 "Hi-Turbo".

After all your hard work, have fun annihilating the competition for the last two races. You've earned it!

MurderDate

whoo lots to do!!  thanks guys !

Radiantsvgun

I'm currently playing YS III.  I want to play Dragon Slayer, but the disc needs to be cleaned...  I picked up Tiger Road the other day, and that game is kinda hard.  But a lot of fun.

nat

Tiger Road actually gets easier as you go along.

JoshTurboTrollX

I saw someone did a complete video walkthrough of Beyond Shadowgate on youtube, but they totally missed the Turtle Race scene!  Skipped over it, or maybe didn't know it existed.

Anyway, I am going to make a video of that scene specifically and post it.

So I'm playing Beyond Shadowgate
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Sinistron

Is there a PCE thread version of this one?
Anywho played some Liquid Kids and Kiki Kaikai last night...

Liquid Kids rules as always.  Some say Don Doko Don is more of a true sequel to Parasol Stars- but this one in reality feels much much closer- same style graphics, same style backgrounds, some familiar enemies and there's actually BUBBLES.  A one player platform game using the elements of Bubble Bobble if you will.  A must have for Bubble Bobble fans.  Great game. 

Kiki Kaikai perhaps I judged unfairly at first.  I rather enjoyed it last night- Just have to think of it more as a multi directional shooter than as an overhead action platformer- not much difference between the two but still...  I'm also always disappointed when a game is ported and loses its two-player option in the transition- but again it can be fun and the controls are quite smooth.
IMG

nat

Liquid Kids was supposed to have been released on the TurboGrafx in the US at one point, and was supposed to have actually been called "Bubble Bobble IV."

Anyway, I concur-- fantastic game. But it gets pretty tough later on.

runinruder

Quote from: Sinistron on 03/21/2008, 02:24 PMKiki Kaikai perhaps I judged unfairly at first.  I rather enjoyed it last night- Just have to think of it more as a multi directional shooter than as an overhead action platformer- not much difference between the two but still...  I'm also always disappointed when a game is ported and loses its two-player option in the transition- but again it can be fun and the controls are quite smooth.
Word, I'm glad to hear you're starting to dig that game, Sini.  I enjoyed it quite a bit myself.  Some tough bosses and tricky levels in there. 

As for me, after the surprise that was Burai, I moved right along to Burai II.  Good times so far.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Ninja Spirit

My new vice as of two days ago.
IMG

Who thinks this Granada-esque shooter kicks ass? Insane challenging gameplay, and whoever made the music for this game got some serious talent, especially stage 3 BGM. I sat on that stage for a half hour in a spot with no sound fx interference listening to it repeatedly.

I was so hooked on this I beat it twice in a row the same day I got it.

Too bad my capture card's broken. I so want to put my playing on YouTube so badly