OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dyna138

Played Cyber-Core for a few tonight, got to stage 7 and it seems kind of on the easy side. Cyber-Core is a lot like Dragon Spirit with insects and I find it more enjoyable for some reason.

roflmao

I played Blazing Lazers today for about an hour and made it to the level 1 boss in the boss run (it's kinda funny that they don't do them in order) and shortly thereafter met my demise.  Oh well.  I was playing pretty crummy throughout the game and hadn't raked up many of the flashing balls and didn't feel like continuing from the start of the level....  One of these days...

MotherGunner

Quote from: guest on 09/26/2011, 09:59 PMI played Blazing Lazers today for about an hour and made it to the level 1 boss in the boss run (it's kinda funny that they don't do them in order) and shortly thereafter met my demise.  Oh well.  I was playing pretty crummy throughout the game and hadn't raked up many of the flashing balls and didn't feel like continuing from the start of the level....  One of these days...
First time I ever played that game through all the way, I made it on one life and on a Turbo Express.  It was freak luck pure and simple.  I feel you there.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

Lilgrafx

Quote from: guest on 09/26/2011, 09:59 PMI played Blazing Lazers today for about an hour and made it to the level 1 boss in the boss run (it's kinda funny that they don't do them in order) and shortly thereafter met my demise.  Oh well.  I was playing pretty crummy throughout the game and hadn't raked up many of the flashing balls and didn't feel like continuing from the start of the level....  One of these days...
We've both been trying to play through this game for awhile I feel your pain . :(

thesteve

its all about memorization and drawing fire where you want it

roflmao

I think one of the reasons Blazing Lazers is so awesome is because it lures you in.  Powerups are plentiful, you can plow right through most of the game without much difficulty.  Then those last couple of levels really turn up the intensity and all of a sudden its really challenging.  But you always feel like you're so close.  I know I'll beat it again one of these days. :)

thrush

Bonk's Adventure.  Slowly getting further & further....

allyourblood

Quote from: thrush on 09/27/2011, 09:53 PMBonk's Adventure.  Slowly getting further & further....
Get ready to be irritated at that last stage. I wish the bosses in Bonk's Adventure weren't so "cheap". A challenge is one thing, but a lot of hits seem unavoidable. I still like it, which says how good it is.
If anyone gets any leads on a "fair priced" copy of Coryoon, please lemme know!

Where is fancy bred?

jlued686

I started Dragon Slayer for the first time last night. I'm really impressed so far and like it quite a bit. The game itself has a bit of an (albeit shiny) 8-bit look to it, but there's something about that style that I really dig. The voice acting is pretty bad, but I guess it gets the point across. I can't believe I've never booted the game up before. A really nice hidden gem.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 09/28/2011, 12:34 PMThe voice acting is pretty bad, but I guess it gets the point across. I can't believe I've never booted the game up before. A really nice hidden gem.
The voice acting is so hilarious I've recorded clips of it to where people couldn't believe this came from a commercially released game. It's terrible.

I'm not sure how hidden it is, among people who follow the Turbo it's pretty well known being only one of two US released traditional style J-RPGs.
--DragonmasterDan

jlued686

That's true. For whatever reason, I've played through the Ys games and Cosmic Fantasy, yet have had Dragon Slayer sitting around for years and never touched it. I guess it's a nice hidden gem...for me. ;)

farankoshan

"MISSION INCOMPLETE: I cannot fuck up for this."
- Download, PC-Engine (1990)

munchiaz

just finished beating cadash with the ninja. pretty fun game.

allyourblood

Played Ghost Manor for about an hour tonight. I had never played it before, and from reviews and YouTube videos, I was kinda expecting the worst. You know, that first level is the main sucky one. After you get past that, it's still not great, but the levels are at least playable. I think I'm actually gonna try to spend some time with it. I'm acclimating myself to the absurd slippery slopes and annoying ammo limit already, so the game's definitely getting easier. With a little tweaking, this game could'a been a contender...

Where is fancy bred?

Sadler

Played a few games with a buddy tonight that I haven't given a shot before. Jackie Chan Action Kung Fu is super cool, Shockman I thought was pretty good (certainly better than a 2.5/5) and Somer Assault I'm undecided on.

JapanTokei

I'm still playing the Final Lap RPG... got to the fnial world champ but lost in 4 straight tries.. my speed is too fast and keep bumping into these other cars and that slams me off the road... i will beat it this weekend I'm sure.  fantasic game..

thesteve

if you havent gotten the hidden parts, and the car lightened, your not ready yet.

exile

I'm playing Sylphia for the pc engine its a decent game,but def. not worth what I paid. why is that game so expensive?

TheClash603

Quote from: Sadler on 09/30/2011, 01:07 AMPlayed a few games with a buddy tonight that I haven't given a shot before. Jackie Chan Action Kung Fu is super cool, Shockman I thought was pretty good (certainly better than a 2.5/5) and Somer Assault I'm undecided on.
I love Somer Assault!  Get to the end and gank that bitch, it will make you feel good.

JapanTokei

/Photo Oct 01.jpg

Nice, finally beat the world champ!!  This is 2nd time i beat it, first time was about 18 years ago!!

sheath

Just got in Bloody Wolf, I can't believe it took me this long to get this little gem.

Sleepy Gnome

I am so hungover i feel like i am about to collapse and I am going to fire up the Turbo and play Neutopia for the first time! Can't wait...

Sleepy Gnome

Quote from: Sleepy Gnome on 10/02/2011, 09:13 AMI am so hungover i feel like i am about to collapse and I am going to fire up the Turbo and play Neutopia for the first time! Can't wait...
oh goodness this game is good. i really like it. just got the 1st medallion.

munchiaz

Ive been playing fantasy zone. Game is simple and alot of fun

allyourblood

Started Cadash, and am still playing some Ghost Manor and Parasol Stars.

Where is fancy bred?

munchiaz

^ just beat cadash a few nights ago with the ninja. Now i wanna try with the mage.

allyourblood

Quote from: munchiaz on 10/02/2011, 02:52 PM^ just beat cadash a few nights ago with the ninja. Now i wanna try with the mage.
I haven't played it much, but I kinda suck at it. Certain enemies seem to be able to hit me no matter what. I'll get into it more in the next few days.

Where is fancy bred?

munchiaz

^ yeah once you get a certain level the game gets pretty easy. i got to max level with the ninja for fun, and the game became a cake walk.

farankoshan

Quote from: Sleepy Gnome on 10/02/2011, 09:59 AM
Quote from: Sleepy Gnome on 10/02/2011, 09:13 AMI am so hungover i feel like i am about to collapse and I am going to fire up the Turbo and play Neutopia for the first time! Can't wait...
oh goodness this game is good. i really like it. just got the 1st medallion.
LIKE!
"MISSION INCOMPLETE: I cannot fuck up for this."
- Download, PC-Engine (1990)

thesteve

beat neutopia2 years ago.
never played 1

allyourblood

Got a short stack of games in today, so I played each of them a little: Tiger Road, Impossamole, Dead Moon, and Final Soldier.

Final Soldier is great! Man, I can't get enough of this one. I only made it to Stage 4 on my first credit, and then I started getting sloppy, but I'll get farther after a bit of practice. Great power-ups, good music, lots of action -- definitely going to become one of my favorite shooters. I know this game is related to Blazing Lazers (GunHed) somehow, and it makes perfect sense -- the graphics, music and control all feel really similar, in a good way.

Impossamole is exactly what I was expecting: a somewhat below-average platformer. All the complaints I've read seem accurate; crummy hit detection, awkward "bouncing" after getting hit, and less-than-stellar controls. Right off the bat, I don't like the rocks that fall from the ceiling; it seems that if the game gave you just a few more pixels worth of space before they shake loose and fall, you could actually use some strategy and skill in dodging them. As it stands, it seems like by the time you get close enough for one to fall, you're already too close and it's gonna hit you.

Tiger Road seems interesting. I seem to get hit by some enemies with no way around it. Maybe I just haven't figured out how to dodge effectively yet. I like the graphics though.

Dead Moon seems okay. I think I expected it to be better. Some of the power-ups feel kind of samey, and all the sprites are huge, so there's not a lot of room to maneuver. Enemies are kinda boring-looking, and the sounds are weak. Still, I did have fun playing through the first 3 levels before I switched it off to try another game. I looked in the manual, and it says there's only six stages. Unless the last few get really tough, I don't envision this game posing much of a challenge. I've definitely played worse shooters, but this one's not bowling me over.

Gonna get back to Final Soldier now.

Where is fancy bred?

OldRover

The first three stages of Dead Moon are pretty easy. Stage 4 is where things start to get really interesting. The difficulty ramps up quite a bit there too, and doesn't go back down. The final bosses are pretty cool. :D The difficulty ramping isn't akin to Violent Soldier, but there is a noticeable difficulty increase in Stage 4.

I just finished Turrican again (with 28 lives and 7 credits to spare... if you can't finish this game with at *least* these values, you're a scrub), and played through The Addams Family one more time. Magic Engine still crashes during its ending... something I reported 5 years ago. Grr.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

allyourblood

Quote from: OldRover on 10/06/2011, 06:14 PMThe first three stages of Dead Moon are pretty easy. Stage 4 is where things start to get really interesting. The difficulty ramps up quite a bit there too, and doesn't go back down. The final bosses are pretty cool. :D The difficulty ramping isn't akin to Violent Soldier, but there is a noticeable difficulty increase in Stage 4.
Ha, that's almost exactly where I stopped. Guess they were just taking it easy on me, thus far.

QuoteI just finished Turrican again (with 28 lives and 7 credits to spare... if you can't finish this game with at *least* these values, you're a scrub), and played through The Addams Family one more time. Magic Engine still crashes during its ending... something I reported 5 years ago. Grr.
Impressive. Tell me you recorded this playthrough. I think the rest of us need to see what we're doing wrong!  :lol:

Where is fancy bred?

OldRover

Didn't record it (I will do a recording of it someday with mednafen if I can get the quick codec to convert properly... the raw and png codecs slow the thing down too much) but I did take a couple of screenshots at the end.

/Turrican-017.png

EDIT: I could try to record it with my cellphone... that might work.
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

hashiriya1

Super Ghouls n Ghosts....you know, for Halloween.

MotherGunner

Currently playing the BF3 Beta on PC.
-MG

OldRover

thrush

Aeroblaster.  ^_^  Fun, but man, I'm not very good at shooties...!  >_(\

csgx1

Just beat Thunder Blade.  The poor controls make the game a lot more challenging.

allyourblood

Got Super Star Soldier and Psychosis in the mail today, so I previewed those for about an hour. Both great games! SSS is waayyy fast, compared to Blazing Lazers and Final Soldier. Enemies and bullets are just littering the screen. I already really like this game, but it's gonna be a while before I can remember where everything is.

Psychosis is great too, but in a totally different way. I like the graphics and music for sure. I don't much care for the sound effects, and the ship seems to move at a snail's pace! I'm not sure if there's a speed boost or power-up, but if there is, I haven't found it yet. Even so, I still really like the game, and the enemies are very interesting -- some are downright cool. The little "options" power-up is excellent, and I love how you can maneuver the two drones around your ship to block projectiles and enemies from different directions. Gets tough fast, especially with how slow your ship moves, but I'm into it for sure.

I officially have too many games to play now. Life is hard.  :P

Where is fancy bred?

MotherGunner

Got Pacland from Terry.  Gonna fire it up!
-MG

thrush

Quote from: MotherGunner on 10/07/2011, 10:05 PMGot Pacland from Terry.  Gonna fire it up!
Yay, I like that game more every time I play!

roflmao

I've put a couple hours into Order of the Griffon between yesterday and this morning.  I've started it a few times in the past but it never caught on.  Now it's like a switch has been flipped and I can't get enough of it.  I'm about to go play it some more. :)

hoobs88

Quote from: guest on 10/08/2011, 01:31 PMI've put a couple hours into Order of the Griffon between yesterday and this morning.  I've started it a few times in the past but it never caught on.  Now it's like a switch has been flipped and I can't get enough of it.  I'm about to go play it some more. :)
I've played through OotG twice and had the same party of characters both times. Who are you using?
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

roflmao

Quote from: hoobs88 on 10/08/2011, 02:20 PMI've played through OotG twice and had the same party of characters both times. Who are you using?
I'm using a fighter (Keir), Dwarf (Tor), Cleric (Kerwin), and Elf (Larissa). I think in the past I didn't properly appreciate the magic side of this game.  The Sleep spell is essential early on.  And once your Cleric learns Cure Light Wounds, life is good.  Still, I've made more trips back to the temple to ressurect someone than I'd like to admit...  :oops:

I started watching this "Let's Play" series on Youtube a few days ago and his party is comprised of all magic users (an Elf, 2 Mages, and a Cleric) using a bug that allows the Mages to wear Chainmail.
If I had enough save space to keep 2 OotG save files, I'd give that a shot. 

I think I've made it pretty far into the Wolves Den so far; I'm exploring an underground city right now.  This game is too much fun.

roflmao

Well, I've returned the staff, have become full members to the Order and now I'm off to find the Koriszegy Crypt. Good stuff.

munchiaz

been playing a lil super darius. not to much though because that dark souls is out.

thesteve

hoobs88

Quote from: guest on 10/08/2011, 08:33 PMWell, I've returned the staff, have become full members to the Order and now I'm off to find the Koriszegy Crypt. Good stuff.

That's the same party that I use (with the exception of Tor)! I made my own custom maps for the game. If you're interested in one, PM me with your email address.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

Lilgrafx

Slept over a friends house with 3 other friends so I decided to bring over the turbo for some 5-player Bomberman goodness and Splatterhouse to get in the Halloween spirit. Don't know why but these are the only two retro games my friends love, any other retro games I bring my friends are sure to hate.