@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Pop cultural references to TG-16

Started by esteban, 07/08/2009, 12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

majors

Quote from: MotherGunner on 01/24/2013, 09:33 PMwayback.technabob.com/2013/jace-hall-ultimate-arcade-cabinet
jace_hall_arcade_cabinet_1.webp
Don't let this guy see that. I've never been fond of the all-controls-panels, all I need is 6 on the face.

Yes, it is a quality build for the rich folks that can't decide if they want to play Ms. Pac-Man or CoD. I'll stick with what I got for EMU...PC hooked a TV in front of a couch.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

VestCunt

Topic Adjourned.

MotherGunner

Most likely it's a slide-out drawer.  The other shots don't show it.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

sonikthehedgehog

That arcade machine is pretty awesome.

henrycsc

They may have already been posted, but always good to revisit...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tjTo0FKutIc&t=94s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=miAY9jOxEQw&t=224s

The Express is supposed to be somewhere in this move too, but it pains me....
Wanted:
Bootleg Hucards (Hong Kong, China)
Third Party Hardware (US, Japan, China, Europe, Korea)
Canadian Boxes and Manuals (French text)
Ton's of Trades available - just PM me.

esteban

Quote from: henrycsc on 02/02/2013, 01:26 AMThe Express is supposed to be somewhere in this move too, but it pains me....
Surely, this is someone's idea of a cruel, cruel joke.

Even I couldn't watch that trash.

IMG
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

henrycsc

Yeah, it's actually listed appearing in that movie on Wikipedia.  I'm a firm believer that you can't believe everything you read on the internet.  So there.
Wanted:
Bootleg Hucards (Hong Kong, China)
Third Party Hardware (US, Japan, China, Europe, Korea)
Canadian Boxes and Manuals (French text)
Ton's of Trades available - just PM me.

MotherGunner

Okay guys, I was on Youtube surfing and this caught my eye!

Catchy tune! (Give it a good listen!)  Very TG-like indeed and one big WTF since I have never heard of this person/group.
IMG
-MG

esteban

STATUS: There was something I wanted to add to this thread...dammit, it was a few weeks ago, dammit!

Quote from: MotherGunner on 08/09/2013, 05:12 PMOkay guys, I was on Youtube surfing and this caught my eye!

Catchy tune! (Give it a good listen!)  Very TG-like indeed and one big WTF since I have never heard of this person/group.
IMG
I like that tune! Good stuff.  :pcgs:

"Durch Blick" of corse, is German for "CD Grafx"...

roflmao

Psycho Punch

Did Bullfrog Productions' staff obey regularly? I bet Molyneux played a lot of boxyboy.

/nn0n.png

I'm serious, the only console that the icon of Simon Hunter could possibly be is the PC Engine... And the game was made in 1989 so it's a possibility.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

esteban

Quote from: guest on 08/24/2013, 11:25 PMDid Bullfrog Productions' staff obey regularly? I bet Molyneux played a lot of boxyboy.

I'm serious, the only console that the icon of Simon Hunter could possibly be is the PC Engine... And the game was made in 1989 so it's a possibility.
Ha! Amazing, now I cannot UNSEE a PCE! But the controller, what's up with that?

We must investigate further, because, quite honestly, if that's not a PCE, then I want to know what the heck it is!

:pcgs:

STATUS: I fear this will turn out to be an obscure EuroGadget (like a Pachinko controller for an AMIGA, or a Speccy, or a CD32 prototype, or a Gizmondorola handheld (prototype, again)...)

MotherGunner

It's an "A" and call it a day.
-MG

Psycho Punch

It even has only one controller! The weird controller could be resulted from really low resolution and limited palette (pink hucard?!?)... I'm still positive that it is a PCE.

I searched for the credits online to some clarification of the icon and I only found "Undetermined - Simon Hunter"... he's also credited as an artist on Atari ST Powermonger, but that gives me no clue. That's it I'm sending an e-mail to Molyneux.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 08/26/2013, 12:43 AMIt even has only one controller! The weird controller could be resulted from really low resolution and limited palette (pink hucard?!?)... I'm still positive that it is a PCE.

I searched for the credits online to some clarification of the icon and I only found "Undetermined - Simon Hunter"... That's it I'm sending an e-mail to Molyneux.
SIMON HUNTER must have been interviewed by someone. AND HE DECLARED HIS LOVE FOR PCE IN SAID INTERVIEW.

Psycho Punch

I heard he likes Gunboat.

He's an artist at several games, so the icon is really a PCE or some obscure artist equipment (ancient tablet, etc.)

esteban

We need more EUROPEANS to chime in and tell us if that is a PCE or some common household item found only on your side of the Atlantic.

Seriously.

esteban

OLD POST IN THIS THREAD: https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?msg=121407

NEW THREAD ABOUT TG-16 CRAFTS: https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?msg=368784

Quote from: esteban on 08/04/2009, 11:45 AMSOURCE: Adol stars in Y's: Box I & II *

lost: harlancore com/2009/03/adol001.png
e.g. adol_cubee.webp

This is pretty neat. Print it out, cut and fold.

If you read the post, you'll see that TG-CD was the inspiration for the Adol "Boxpunk", but the site offers many, many other characters from various games.

*Yes, he spells it with an apostrophe. We can forgive him.
Necrobump because I'm hoping someone would be able to:

(1) find this original blog postUPDATE: I found original blog post, but sadly no Adol template images were saved at archive.org (at least, I have yet to find it)

(2) find the template (adol001.png?) for the ADOL OF Ys Book I & II BoxPunx (similar to cubeecraft).

Why?

Well, I want complete this page....

https://www.tg-16.com/tg16_cubee_craft.htm

IMG

HINT: Hit "quote" to see the original URL's and stuff. Who knows? Perhaps it was archived somewhere? Archive.org?

NEW THREAD ABOUT TG-16 CRAFTS: https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?msg=368784

bob

gj-16

Aside from being on the TG box, Zack Morris was a huge fan of Bonk and frequently had fantasies of his smooth skull.
IMG

mitsuman

Quote from: esteban on 04/02/2011, 07:44 PM
Quote from: jperryss on 04/02/2011, 06:13 PMCan someone here tell me what the deal was with those Pandemonium puzzle contests?

I remember seeing them in EGM and other gaming mags in the early-mid 90s.

I never entered, but the one in the magazine was always easy and I knew for sure there had to be a catch. What was it?
Ask, and you shall receive: 15 Years of Not Winning...

I won't spoil anything for you... it's worth reading :)
Holy crap! I remember entering one of these.

MrFulci

Quote from: mitsuman on 09/14/2014, 07:03 PM
Quote from: esteban on 04/02/2011, 07:44 PM
Quote from: jperryss on 04/02/2011, 06:13 PMCan someone here tell me what the deal was with those Pandemonium puzzle contests?

I remember seeing them in EGM and other gaming mags in the early-mid 90s.

I never entered, but the one in the magazine was always easy and I knew for sure there had to be a catch. What was it?
Ask, and you shall receive: 15 Years of Not Winning...

I won't spoil anything for you... it's worth reading :)
Holy crap! I remember entering one of these.
I never noticed that post, before.

Nice article, I didn't realize the same type of ads ran into the 00's, but that's not surprising, since I stopped reading video game magazines after 16-bit was dead.

That's a good article. I had forgotten about those ads. I remember them, though. I was taught early, "If it seems too good to be true...", so, I never bothered entering.

Had it been free to enter, I'd probably have entered.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

Psycho Punch

I still think that the icon was a PCE. I want to believe

HailingTheThings

IMG

Ayce

Quote from: guest on 07/10/2009, 01:00 PM
Quote from: guest on 07/10/2009, 12:46 PMin Rumble in the Bronx, the little cripple kid is playing a GT If I remember right
And in Enemy of the State.
Is that the one where some sort of chip was hidden inside the Express?

MrFulci

I posted this years ago. I'm not much into ,"Japanimation", but during the 90s, I would view tapes of it. This particular movie series, I thought it was loads of laughs at the time when early in the movie a guy creates a tent in his pants with his boner due to a girl.

Years ago, I bought the thing on DVD, since I had memories of seeing it in the mid 90s. I never knew there were a few other movies to it. I'd only seen the first one. The DVd had the other parts, so I watched them, and I noticed something in a particular scene...I'd not watched them in ages, but, I recall when I saw this, I posted a screenshot here, so, here it is again!

I see a Duo-R and..

IMG
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

MrFulci

Deleted, double post due to editing.

MrFulci

Quote from: Ayce on 09/17/2014, 08:51 AM
Quote from: guest on 07/10/2009, 01:00 PM
Quote from: guest on 07/10/2009, 12:46 PMin Rumble in the Bronx, the little cripple kid is playing a GT If I remember right
And in Enemy of the State.
Is that the one where some sort of chip was hidden inside the Express?
Yeah,

I rented it on VHS, and that was something I took notice of immediately, the kid had a 90s game system in the early 00's. I figure, most viewers probably thought it was a fictional game system created specifically for the film.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: MrFulci on 09/17/2014, 09:49 AMI posted this years ago. I'm not much into ,"Japanimation", but during the 90s, I would view tapes of it. This particular movie series, I thought it was loads of laughs at the time when early in the movie a guy creates a tent in his pants with his boner due to a girl.

Years ago, I bought the thing on DVD, since I had memories of seeing it in the mid 90s. I never knew there were a few other movies to it. I'd only seen the first one. The DVd had the other parts, so I watched them, and I noticed something in a particular scene...I'd not watched them in ages, but, I recall when I saw this, I posted a screenshot here, so, here it is again!

I see a Duo-R and..
There's a Lynx there, and it wasn't even released in Japan in any official capacity (though it was manufactured there).
--DragonmasterDan

MrFulci

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 09/17/2014, 10:13 AM
Quote from: MrFulci on 09/17/2014, 09:49 AMI posted this years ago. I'm not much into ,"Japanimation", but during the 90s, I would view tapes of it. This particular movie series, I thought it was loads of laughs at the time when early in the movie a guy creates a tent in his pants with his boner due to a girl.

I see a Duo-R and..
There's a Lynx there, and it wasn't even released in Japan in any official capacity (though it was manufactured there).
I guess it is a Lynx, the shot in the movie zooms out from the woman laying on her stomach, so there is a closer shot of it.

Oh, and the name of the movie is, "Devil Hunter Yohko 2".

In the 90s, I saw the first one, someone rented it. Years later, I saw it was available on DVD when I searched for information on it, so I bought it on DVD. The DVD set included 1-3. I don't remember much about 2 and 3, other than parts 2 and 3 didn't seemed to be needed, and in part 2, "Oh, hey, there is a Duo-R on the floor!".

MrFulci

Not too, "Pop Culture", but X-E was around for a while, now this guy's new site. He uses a Turbo Grafx commercial in this post during his Halloween Countdown for this year -

http://dinosaurdracula.com/blog/creepy-commercials-4/

Reading the posts by others, many others are also familiar with the Turbo Grafx 16 system.

bob

Quote from: MrFulci on 09/17/2014, 10:34 AM
Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 09/17/2014, 10:13 AM

I see a Duo-R and..
I guess it is a Lynx, the shot in the movie zooms out from the woman laying on her stomach, so there is a closer shot of it.

Oh, and the name of the movie is, "Devil Hunter Yohko 2".

In the 90s, I saw the first one, someone rented it. Years later, I saw it was available on DVD when I searched for information on it, so I bought it on DVD. The DVD set included 1-3. I don't remember much about 2 and 3, other than parts 2 and 3 didn't seemed to be needed, and in part 2, "Oh, hey, there is a Duo-R on the floor!".
i like how the animators actually put a tap and one controller on the duo.

vexcollects

I cannot find it! Does anyone remember some Rap / Hip Hop band doing a promotional Rap song for Bonk's? All I can find is that it was a Canadian rapper names S-Blank and the song was "The New Mania". I think NEC gave him some money to do it for promotional purposes.

I remember seeing it as a kid on TV (maybe Entertainment Tonight), but I cannot find it anywhere now. I know it exists. I remember thinking to myself about how weird it was when I saw the video for it.

esteban

Quote from: vexcollects on 09/17/2014, 01:28 PMI cannot find it! Does anyone remember some Rap / Hip Hop band doing a promotional Rap song for Bonk's? All I can find is that it was a Canadian rapper names S-Blank and the song was "The New Mania". I think NEC gave him some money to do it for promotional purposes.

I remember seeing it as a kid on TV (maybe Entertainment Tonight), but I cannot find it anywhere now. I know it exists. I remember thinking to myself about how weird it was when I saw the video for it.
That is too stupidly awesome to actually have happened.

Canadian rap.

Ha!

No such thing.

IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG

vexcollects

Quote from: esteban on 09/17/2014, 05:29 PM
Quote from: vexcollects on 09/17/2014, 01:28 PMI cannot find it! Does anyone remember some Rap / Hip Hop band doing a promotional Rap song for Bonk's? All I can find is that it was a Canadian rapper names S-Blank and the song was "The New Mania". I think NEC gave him some money to do it for promotional purposes.

Canadian rap.

Ha!

No such thing.

IMG
 IMG
 IMG
 IMG
I shit you not. I saw a few links to people on forums who remember this. It's not a foggy memory. This actually happened. Nothing on Youtube though. I probably saw it on TV because I live in Canada.

esteban

Quote from: vexcollects on 09/17/2014, 08:03 PM
Quote from: esteban on 09/17/2014, 05:29 PM

Canadian rap.

Ha!

No such thing.

IMG
 IMG
 IMG
 IMG
I shit you not. I saw a few links to people on forums who remember this. It's not a foggy memory. This actually happened. Nothing on Youtube though. I probably saw it on TV because I live in Canada.
¡Jesus Cristo! We gotta find it.

xcrement5x

Saw this today:

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/pictures/50-things-millennials-have-never-heard-of-20131125/turbografx-16-0333583
Many lulz, I have no idea what generation I am classified as according to these people.

Also, much cooler:
Macaulay Culkin on Arsenio Hall talking about Turbob.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Psycho Punch

"cooler games never followed"

Bonk's Revenge and Bonk 3 are direct sequels that followed that cool game called Bonk's Adventure, among other cool games. But they're right.

Alt-Nintega

air zonk too. but they are right.

wilykat

Quote from: guest on 01/06/2016, 05:30 PMSaw this today:

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/pictures/50-things-millennials-have-never-heard-of-20131125/turbografx-16-0333583
Many lulz, I have no idea what generation I am classified as according to these people.

Also, much cooler:
Macaulay Culkin on Arsenio Hall talking about Turbob.
Makes me feel so old.  I am from the mimeograph machine and VTR generation.  VTR (reel to reel tape like the old science documentary) came out years before VCR, which was like a giant walkman that connected to TV using a giant version of casette and typically hold only 2 hours of high quality video or 6 hours of RealVideo quality.

Ummm does anyone even know what "realvideo" is? About 8 years before Youtube was even invented, the best way to get video over internet via slow dial up modem was realvideo. Shit looking quality and very tiny by today's standard.

Don't know what dial up modem is? Forget it you're probably not old enough for beer either. :P

esteban

^ Forget about RealVideo, do you remember RealAudio. I can't believe I thought it was "amazing" to listen to crappy audio via interwebz.

xcrement5x

Quote from: esteban on 01/06/2016, 07:42 PM^ Forget about RealVideo, do you remember RealAudio. I can't believe I thought it was "amazing" to listen to crappy audio via interwebz.
I remember real audio (and video) quite well, I would use their encoding tools pack to make stuff even smaller so I could fit more on a single CD for storage.  What a mistake...
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

MotherGunner

WWE Wrestler Kevin Owens and is Turbo Grafx-16 Logo-like T-Shirt.  Coincidence I'm sure.

owens642.webp

TurboGraps-16.webp
-MG

esteban

Damn. We lost some images over the years.

I heard Kanye West liked TG-16 BITD...