(UK) WTB good old original PC Engine console

Started by Ergot_Cholera, 09/25/2018, 02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ergot_Cholera

As per the title. Nobody seems to sell them on ebay on their own or for a reasonable price anymore, and I don't want to go through a middleman on yahoo auctions to bump up the price.
Doesn't matter if it's discoloured, but preferably no cracks or bad scratches and no previous tampering.

tbone3969

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Ergot_Cholera

peasoup

I guess theres a finite supply in the UK, also Ebay being a rip off for sellers it probably isn't worth it. I went the YAJ route but maybe try hitting up Allan McCluskey on Facebook (Allan's retro games sales). He also does a lot of the uk retro games shows.

Out of curiosity what do you reckon is a reasonable price now days?

Ergot_Cholera

I don't do Facebook or any social media stuff, so that isn't an option.
I remember being able to buy an original PC Engine on ebay for around £30 including shipping from Japan, probably about 3-4 years ago now though. There were quite a lot of them, but it just seems to be boxed sets or already modified consoles now.

majors

Quote from: guest on 09/25/2018, 02:41 PMI don't want to go through a middleman on yahoo auctions to bump up the price.
Other than flying over to JP, someone is gonna be a middle man, if not now, then when it was originally imported.

Quote from: guest on 09/26/2018, 10:49 AMI don't do Facebook or any social media stuff, so that isn't an option.
Forums do not count as social media? I'm not too keen on FB but you are limiting your buying options since a good number of ppl have migrated to it for trades and deals.

Unfortunately, as with other consoles, prices are jumping (unless you want an Odyssey 2, no one collects that!). You may had seen PCE's sell for 30 pounds 3-4 years ago, but you cannot time travel so grin and bare it. May I ask why you are looking for a PCE (RF, white, whatever) instead of a Duo or even a Core? I have a briefcase setup purely for when I support gaming events, I feel it has a certain ascetic and historical significance that can come across when one is physically in it's presence. My "daily driver" is a JP Duo...
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

JoeQuaker

Quote from: guest on 09/26/2018, 10:49 AMI don't do Facebook or any social media stuff, so that isn't an option.
Quote from: majorsForums do not count as social media? I'm not too keen on FB but you are limiting your buying options since a good number of ppl have migrated to it for trades and deals.
Heh yeah I wouldn't put forums in the same boat as FB at all. I totally understand not using FB. I never created an account and never will. Sure, you limit yourself but at least you aren't part of that awful horde hive. There are plenty of other outlets on the internet to find what you are looking for. I didn't realize there were a few people as into arcade machines in my area as I am but learned about these things just by searching the internet and talking to people.
Mir ist kalt, so kalt...

Ergot_Cholera

Quote from: majors on 09/26/2018, 12:50 PM
Quote from: guest on 09/25/2018, 02:41 PMI don't want to go through a middleman on yahoo auctions to bump up the price.
Other than flying over to JP, someone is gonna be a middle man, if not now, then when it was originally imported.

Forums do not count as social media? I'm not too keen on FB but you are limiting your buying options since a good number of ppl have migrated to it for trades and deals.

Unfortunately, as with other consoles, prices are jumping (unless you want an Odyssey 2, no one collects that!). You may had seen PCE's sell for 30 pounds 3-4 years ago, but you cannot time travel so grin and bare it. May I ask why you are looking for a PCE (RF, white, whatever) instead of a Duo or even a Core? I have a briefcase setup purely for when I support gaming events, I feel it has a certain ascetic and historical significance that can come across when one is physically in it's presence. My "daily driver" is a JP Duo...
Buying off an ebay seller means that they source the items from somewhere and then ship them to you, but buying from one of these yahoo japan agents means you are paying 2 lots of shipping and other fees on top.
I just like to know how much I'm paying from the start.

peasoup

3-4 years ago was a long, long time ago in this hobby, the whole retro gaming thing has gone a bit crazy price wise hasn't it. (I've given up owning so many games :( )

Looking at YAJ, theres a core 2 about to go, £40...a 'Junk' White PCE about to go £20. Factor in shipping £15, a controller say £10, decent PSU £10 ....then you will probably get stung for customs/VAT, you could be looking at £50+ easy. Then you wanna sell that on ebay? They take 10% straight off the bat and then paypal fees...

Realistically you are going to see PCE for about £60-100 on ebay especially if they've been cleaned up and RGB modded totting up the cost this probably isn't unfair. Your best bet is FB groups or other forums, I've seen PCE pop up on UKVAC for reasonable prices recently, maybe look at shmups forum too. http://from-japan-retro-sale.myshopify.com offers free shipping from japan.

majors

Quote from: guest on 09/26/2018, 02:46 PM... but buying from one of these yahoo japan agents means you are paying 2 lots of shipping and other fees on top.
I just like to know how much I'm paying from the start.
YAJ is not the be all end all for "deals" I've noticed. You sort of have to know what items are selling low in JP to get good prices. Example, I was looking for arcade boards that sell for $600-700 on ebay that I managed to get for $400 from YAJ after proxy and shipping fees because the boards were over abundant in JP after an updated version was released. Also, there are a lot of foreigners using YAJ so you'll see prices almost match FS: threads and ebay.

As for "knowing" the end price from the start...many YAJ listing will show domestic shipping plus the proxys list their fees, so you have an idea of your winning bid costs. But it's the overseas shipping that can eat up any savings from buying on Yahoo...it's best to bundle several items. Buying one piece and shipping it is not good for the budget. I know the proxy I use will list the different overseas shipping prices for me to choose, most times I get 2-3 months sea mail b/c the stuff I buy is already 20 years old, so what's another few months :)

Also the current state of these forums are not going to help your PCE quest...less eyes reading the threads.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

Ergot_Cholera

If I can't get a PC Engine for a good price then I think it might be the final straw. I have been  :deadhorse: for too long now.